Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 575 576 [577] 578 579 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6105705 times)

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #8640 on: December 09, 2010, 08:46:30 pm »

Making Lovecraftian sausages
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Urist McCook: "Sure, it might not look appetizing at first, but once you get past the texture its actually quite tasty. The pieces of meat that are still pulsating taste the best."
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

HoffaSaurusX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8641 on: December 09, 2010, 09:02:17 pm »

My fortress is slowly crumbling, because I have a seemingly unstoppable plague. Some kind ichor or gas from a forgotten beast seems to randomly injure my dorfs and creatures. They slowly die and get infected because of all the miasma and death. The hospitals are piled high! I'm trying to construct a device to flood the halls with water, then steam death the whole thing, with my healthy dorfs staying outside till its all cleaned up...

Any suggestions other than flooding?

Hydrall

• Bay Watcher
  • Target Verified: Commencing Hostilities
    • View Profile
    • TVTropes
« Reply #8642 on: December 09, 2010, 09:06:42 pm »

'Ejem's Feather' sounds like some kind of RPG healing item. Probably brings people back to life or something.
After seven days and seven nights, God said "Screw this!" and abandoned the fortress.

Uristmcfisherdwarf cancels fish: Interrupted by harmless minnow

riznar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8643 on: December 09, 2010, 09:28:50 pm »

Uhhhh that's new

Hydrall

• Bay Watcher
  • Target Verified: Commencing Hostilities
    • View Profile
    • TVTropes
« Reply #8644 on: December 09, 2010, 09:30:32 pm »

Huh, that's... really odd. Did a tree grow on an engraved muddy stone tile? Can trees grow on muddy smooth floors?

Search for the answer. For !!SCIENCE!!.
After seven days and seven nights, God said "Screw this!" and abandoned the fortress.

Uristmcfisherdwarf cancels fish: Interrupted by harmless minnow

riznar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8645 on: December 09, 2010, 09:39:09 pm »

That's my best guess but it didn't leave a trail

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8646 on: December 09, 2010, 09:42:35 pm »

My fledgling fort has a blizzard man who can neither kill nor be killed. My 4 dogs and one war dog all attacking him at the same time prevents him from attacking, while the minor damage their attacks deal keeps him from dieing. He now has over a page of scars on his head.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8647 on: December 09, 2010, 10:19:56 pm »

Going with a challenge fortress as a change of pace from my current "normal" fortress. 

All aboveground fortress.  All permanent structures made of one kind of stone (siltstone is what appears to be the most abundant rock that actually looked like rock in stonesense) .  Only 'humanish' underground constructions permitted.  Small 1 z-level basements underneath structures, some plumbing, simple ore mines, and power lines underground, nothing else.

Only one structure was fully built before I hit a hitch.  My quarry hit the first cavern layer.  Currently puzzling out whether I should just expand the quarry or dig out another one.  Its looking like this landscape is going to be dotted with all kinds of massive holes before I get all the stone I'll need.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

EnDSchultz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8648 on: December 09, 2010, 10:26:01 pm »

Well, the inevitable tantrum spiral has begun. A number of Dorfs have been struck down by their enraged brethren (a spear to the skull will do that). The trolls are dead but that's not helping matters much anyhow. With over half the fort dead as well as dozens of goblins, the entire area is plagued by the constant stink of miasma. Dwarves are mostly occupied at the moment hauling the corpses and severed body parts of their fellow colonists outside where at least they won't stink up the place. About eight of the remaining 40 Dorfs have gone mad or melancholy, and are writing around in the piles of bodies on the upper floor...There's a bowyer in a strange mood demanding wooden logs, which our desert fort can't acquire. Without a trade caravan expected for some time he's bound to co berserk and only make matters worse.

Things are not looking good for Boatmobbed.

Edit: Two dorfs have gone berserk in rapid succession and are now chasing the others around the cliffside. HAH! And some migrants have just arrived. Boy, are they ever in for a shock.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 10:30:26 pm by EnDSchultz »

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8649 on: December 09, 2010, 10:34:47 pm »

The kills of Ablel Helmedbattle the Fresh Wrath of Martyrs:

Umuz Siegednights the forgotten beast
Ber Stopmaligns the goblin
Osta Sinfulwhim the goblin
Strodno Malicewheeled the goblin
Rushan the forgotten beast
Osnun Lieshameful the goblin
Isa the Playful Witch the forgotten beast
Smunstu Hatednude teh goblin
Dostngosp Malignhaunted the goblin
Stozu Nightmarecrumbled the goblin
Zolak Riddlescourge the goblin
Utes Weedlie the goblin
Ultush Washedswam the forgotten beast
Osta Stuntevils the goblin
Dostngosp Ruthlessutters the goblin
Usbu Hexfail the goblin
Esp the Deep of Mites the forgotten beast

Umuz Siegednights
 A gigantic humanoid composed of salt.  It has a twisting, jointed trunk and it squirms and fidgets.
Rushan
 A huge eyeless dragonfly.  It has large mandibles and it undulates rhythmically.  Beware its poisonous bite!
Isa the Playful Witch
 An enormous blob composed of steam.  It has an enormous shell and it squirms and fidgets.
Ultush Washedswim
 A great six-legged turtle with lidless eyes.  It undulates rhythmically.  Its goldenrod scales are oval-shaped and set far apart.  Beware its noxious secretions!
Esp the Deep of Mites
 An enormous cobra with lidless eyes.  It has two long, straight horns and it belches and croaks.  Its emerald scales are oval-shaped and set far apart.  Beware its poisonous bite! (he killed this beast moments after engaging it with a single spear thrust to the head, destroying it's brain)

Five forgotten beasts, twelve goblins.  Three of those beasts and seven of the goblins were killed by his first spear, an exceptional adamantine spear.  One beast he slayed with a fierce kick.  The remainder fell to his new weapon - the artifact spear The Unwelcome Desert, a spear of finest quality that is encircled with bands of adamantine and elephant leather, and bears an image of his home's foundation in green glass.  His old spear is now wielded by his protege Ral Galleyabbey, and has since been embellished with - among other things - images of The Unwelcome Desert in silver and black bronze.  Ral has only added one kill to the spear's count in the two years since he has taken it up, but he has not yet had much chance to wield it.

Ablel also wears Dabbledhail, an adamantine breastplate.  Encrusted with kimberlite and menacing with spikes of adamantine and slate, the interior of this artifact is encircled with bands of giant cave spider silk and rope reed fabric for added comfort, with the outside encircled by bands of star ruby and amber opal.  Most fitting of all, it features an image of a spear - it's wearers favored weapon - in clear diamond.

A hero with a badass name that's killed half of the 10 forgotten beasts that have menaced my fort, wielding an artifact spear apparently crafted specifically for him to celebrate the greatness of the fortress itself.  He wears a breastplate covered in precious gems and with an image of his weapon of choice.  His old, storied spear was decorated with images of the artifact he now wields.  If it wasn't for the fact that he was already married, I would force him to stand around the queen until they got married so his badassery could marry into royalty.  Best of all: his likes make him a fantastic candidate for mayor.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

EnDSchultz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8650 on: December 09, 2010, 10:56:05 pm »

The many wounded in the fort are starving and dehydrating because, despite having assigned a dwarf or two exclusively to healthcare, these dwarves stand around idly saying they have no job. We might still survive if we aren't immediately attacked again.
Might.

Update: Added a rather disturbing picture of the merchants from the Mountainhomes arriving at our reconstructed Trade Depot. Wanted a place close enough to the fort that we could retreat inside if something bad happened. That location just happens to be right amongst our now massive refuse and corpse stockpiles. Fortunately the tantruming has ceased for the most part. The mad bowyer is locked in his room, and the inside of the fort is cleaned up for the most part. Current Dorf count, only 22 of 110+, and that's after an 8 Dwarf migration. Still more casualties to come as more insane Dwarves pass away. Currently have a good number of dwarves and five mason shops working on rock coffins, or else epic hauntings of demonic proportions will be soon at hand. Outpost liason currently being chased around by small Goblin party.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Update 2: Well, a vile force of darkness arrived. AGAIN. Huge force. This time some crap got wedged into the mechanism-powered door system and the goblins swarmed the fort. Game crashed when my last Dwarf (The mayor, fighting to the death with his pick, no less!) was killed. But I'm going to abandon upon reload because the fortress is doomed. Noticing that the Dorfs seem unwilling to dump death items...which the objects wedge in the door system happened to be. Death items also seem to start off forbidden despite my configuration in the Orders menu.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 12:56:02 am by EnDSchultz »

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8651 on: December 10, 2010, 06:58:29 am »

So in my current and most successful fort ever, Orbmurder, I've had a forgotten beast - a snow blob, to be precise - sitting at the bottom of my underground magma pipe for the last two years. I stopped getting "The forgotten beast is caught in a pool of magma!" messages after about three months, and so far its only injury is a missing wing, removed by the axedwarf it dodged down the pipe to get away from. I've dropped two caveins on the bastard. Help me!
Encase it in obsidian, and make a sword out of it! Oh boy.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Frosty_Dorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling DFer, Legendary Lazy, Proficient Sleeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8652 on: December 10, 2010, 07:08:22 am »

warning, do not engage mummies with untrained militia, they'll win but the price is heavy.
Genesis mod first serious fort with the mod and I just wanted to stop on a cave...
Stupid @!#$% didn't stay in it's cave.
May get a tantrum out of it too unless i can get stuff set up to make the dwarf less miserable. Prestigemountain, wow whatta name. This should be a fun fort.

Edit: oh, did I mention I'm gonna try to build a fully functional fort without turning on unskilled jobs on dwarves? so that means every dwarf that dies will take skills with them, and I didn't burn every point on giving all my dwarves duplicate skills...
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 07:11:38 am by Frosty_Dorf »

honestly, that was a ragequit moment.  The friggin thief just walked on past and grabbed it.  There were like 100+ floors yet to be placed.
My computer struggled to load all the demons.  Then, next frame, I check the unit list....
The last.... 4+ pages.... all demons.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8653 on: December 10, 2010, 11:09:36 am »

Visionlabors' situation is grim.

The dead outnumber the living, the stone layers aren't providing any ore for weapons nor coal to power the furnaces at all. Last siege of shruk killed fifteen dwarven immigrants who were dwarfed into quickly-made group of speardwarves.

My god, the blood.

Now the only planter was stampeded by mammoths (why I have added them), and few dwarves are very unhappy.

That's so fun! :D
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8654 on: December 10, 2010, 01:05:17 pm »

Another victory for the heroes of Starswords.

The most recent siege was met first by a hail of bolts from the two of the four dwarf royal guard, positioned on the newly built defensive wall around the surface settlement.  This mortally wounded the sword master leader of a unit of pikegoblins, and killed two others.  They began to flee as the military proper began it's assault.

Ral Galleyabbeys, so far the least decorated of the squad The Constructive Hills, was the first to charge onto the scene, wielding the spear of his mentor Ablel Helmedbattle the Fresh Wrath of Martyrs.  While chasing down the pikegoblins he ran straight into a squad of axegoblins, lead by an axe lord, and assorted trolls civilians.  From here, he added seven kills to his name, three trolls and four goblins, including the leader of the axe lord.  He took the title 'the Even Wealth of Strangeness'.  Ablel himself was late to the skirmish, having been asleep at the time.

Other notable figures from the encounter are Ral Doorstirs the Horns of Song, with two troll and two goblin kills (total 14), Inod Rackyearling the Ominous Clearings (one troll and four goblin kills, bringing his total to seven and earning himself a title), Athel Metshoot the Incidental Fences of Courtesy (three goblins, total 11), Melbil Dearthcanyon the Virginal Time (six goblins, total eight, earning a title), and Zulban Planesslings the Cunning Griffons of Clutching (three goblins, total eight).

Ral's spear has now taken the lives of two forgotten beasts, three trolls, and twelve goblins.  Ral's kill count with it now almost matches that of it's previous holder, and exceeds the number of creatures slain with Ablel's current weapon, the artifact spear The Unwelcome Desert.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."
Pages: 1 ... 575 576 [577] 578 579 ... 3842