Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 572 573 [574] 575 576 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6105971 times)

Mr. Argent

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:TRAITOROUS_NATURE]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #8595 on: December 07, 2010, 06:28:38 pm »

Strengthroad, 14 Limestone, 251 - I fear that we have our army set up before our housing sector and public eating facility are fully excavated - Our polar bears and Grizzly Bears are reproducing at an astonishing rate. Our bears now outnumber dwarves 5 to 1*, and i fear we may have a bearsplosion on our hands. Oh well, at least we've made the rumors of a bear cavalry true. I wonder how they'd fare against a goblin invasion? We are also attempting to set traps to capture some elephants, and we are also fortifying the entrance with a wall and moat, and adding a roof to proof the fortress against land and air invasion. the day goblins show up to fruitlessly invade Strengthroad will indeed be a sight to see. However, the other citizens are getting crabby because we do not have a dining area set up. We've told them it's not even dug out yet, but they just won't listen.

*$1 Bears - What other wonders will Raw editing introduce?
Urist McVenom Cancels strange mood: Being exiled.

afrosquirrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8596 on: December 07, 2010, 08:34:09 pm »

I have a ghost, but I think I like him too much to give him a peaceful rest.

Fisherdwarves are the banes of my fort, always being the first to die to an ambush or siege. Therefore, I adopted the practice of having a single highly-skilled fisher and a small support crew.

Well, on my latest fort, Urist McFisherderp decided that this new plan was working too well for me. During the test-activation of a waterfall defensive system, he decided to fish right in front of it. He promptly got washed into his pond and started to drown. He apparently didn't notice this however, as he continued to fish while he drowned, rather than trying to save himself. Attempts to recover his body were confounded by a siege, and later a cavern discovery, after which he was forgotten.

He returns as a ghost. Rather than haunt my other dwarves, however, he has found an isolated corner, and fished. No longer bound by the petty necessities of food, sleep, or booze, he has racked up over twenty pages of fish in his inventory at last check. I imagine that the few dwarves who have seen him have been laughed at by their comrades for their tales of a levitating mass of fish.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8597 on: December 07, 2010, 08:54:55 pm »

I got my first FB just a couple of minutes ago. Jag giant armadillo made of petrified wood and has a deadly dust. (does that mean he has a deadly fart?). And i found out that man mayor apreantly likes carp for "their protruding mouths". If i had any on my map i would probably let him meet some.

I like that he's made of petrified wood.  It'd be even cooler if he was a demon, and the leader of an Elf civilization.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8598 on: December 08, 2010, 04:07:35 am »

My current fort is mainly for testing some mods I've created. I may hang on to it, or I may not, but there's one thing in particular in it that's made me ridiculously pleased so far.

Drakelings are creatures I modded in - part cat, part dog, part dragon. They're trainable as hunting animals, chase down vermin, and as evidenced by the picture, adopt dwarves in the same manner as cats. Also, as the sasquatch that made the mistake of wandering into my camp discovered and the large tract of scorched grass can attest, they are bloody destructive. I suspect that the chances of this child being successfully snatched have dropped massively, although death by his new pet accidentally blowing up the booze supplies may be a serious concern.

Edit: Upon reading up on his description, I have discovered that this child actually has drakelings among his list of preferences. This amuses me greatly, and the rest of his notes make me think I may have to hang on to this fort just to see how this kid's life pans out.

Edit2: Well, that was short lived - a goblin snatcher showed up. Unfortunately, it was discovered between one of the war drakes and the kid. According to the wall of red text, the kid just got melted, but isn't dead yet.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 04:25:48 am by Keldane »
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

Frosty_Dorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling DFer, Legendary Lazy, Proficient Sleeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8599 on: December 08, 2010, 05:07:16 am »

So a test run on fort "Boltsstops" has proven already that with self rules FUN is how little your dwarves can do and still be productive. The skeletal camels [love them undead] killed 4 of them [4th one pulled it underwater so its kinda stuck yay] and we aren't even past the 4th of slate. On the good news side, I still have the fisherdwarf/expedition leader, fish cleaner [yes I'm not changing jobs from the default, this is going to be a slow but barely survivable fort] and the miner, and all the cargo is safely hidden down in the fort thats being carved out. I happily await my first immigrants with very open arms. oh god don't let it get out of the water.

Edit: it got out of the water but soon left, 3 days have passed and the fisher dwarf and fish cleaner are both ecstatic while the miner is fine. crazy dwarves...
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 05:12:33 am by Frosty_Dorf »

honestly, that was a ragequit moment.  The friggin thief just walked on past and grabbed it.  There were like 100+ floors yet to be placed.
My computer struggled to load all the demons.  Then, next frame, I check the unit list....
The last.... 4+ pages.... all demons.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8600 on: December 08, 2010, 05:49:56 am »

Late Summer of 505 in the Metropolis of Ringquest, pop. 166  fps 16(13)

The Duke demonstrated an unusually high level of incompetence at the job of Broker. When the human caravan arrived, he went on break. Then he conducted a pointless meeting with their liason, in which they basically just jerked off for a couple days. Then he went back on break. When he got off break, he went to get something to drink, and then something to eat. And after that? Back on break.

Rather than wait for him to come off break only to go have a nap, I've found a more motivated individual for the job of broker.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 05:55:19 am by AngleWyrm »

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #8601 on: December 08, 2010, 12:32:58 pm »

My current fort is mainly for testing some mods I've created. I may hang on to it, or I may not, but there's one thing in particular in it that's made me ridiculously pleased so far.

Drakelings are creatures I modded in - part cat, part dog, part dragon. They're trainable as hunting animals, chase down vermin, and as evidenced by the picture, adopt dwarves in the same manner as cats. Also, as the sasquatch that made the mistake of wandering into my camp discovered and the large tract of scorched grass can attest, they are bloody destructive. I suspect that the chances of this child being successfully snatched have dropped massively, although death by his new pet accidentally blowing up the booze supplies may be a serious concern.

Edit: Upon reading up on his description, I have discovered that this child actually has drakelings among his list of preferences. This amuses me greatly, and the rest of his notes make me think I may have to hang on to this fort just to see how this kid's life pans out.

Edit2: Well, that was short lived - a goblin snatcher showed up. Unfortunately, it was discovered between one of the war drakes and the kid. According to the wall of red text, the kid just got melted, but isn't dead yet.

I lol'd

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8602 on: December 08, 2010, 01:15:18 pm »

Sandhelm fell in the most disgraceful way possible for the fort.  While constructing my housing district, I accidently collapsed it- straight on to my military.  The 5-z level tower, which contained many of my dwarves, fell into the barracks which had all 10 of my militia sparring in at the time.  Went from 86 healthy dwarves to about 50 like that.  I figured my Fortress Guard would be sufficient, but as it turns out they haven't been training in the archery range at all in the past three years.  So when I was sieged by about 60 goblins (three squads) and a squad of trolls, we were slaughtered.  All, of course, except for my ten militia dwarves, who had lost the ability to stand or grasp, sitting inside a trapped grave.  I had to abandon.

juanito89

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8603 on: December 08, 2010, 01:47:20 pm »

For the first time, I think I actually have a decent military - 20 steel-clad dwarves, with several kills under their belts. I just fought off my first Goblin Siege.

About 12 crossbowgoblins, one of them riding a voracious cave crawler. The 4 goblins foolish enough to lead the assault of my gates fell victim to my cage traps (including the cave crawler - this kinda felt like cheating, and took away the opportunity for some FUN and an epic fight).

Now, the rest of the goblins RETREATED when their vanguard got stuck in the cages, and decided to wait about 20 tiles from my cave entrance.

This was actually pretty smart of them - they avoided more captures and forced me to send my dwarves into open terrain, giving the crossbowgoblins clear shots at my charging infantry.

Now, my steel hammers, axes, maces and spears killed half of them while the other half routed, but still - the retreat from the cages stroked me as a very wise decision by the AI.

Is this a sort of thing the AI does often?

Edit P.S.:

Also, I just got my first Titan!:

"A huge feathered gecko. It has wings and it has an austere look about it. Beware its fire!"

Seems like a mini-dragon, I fear for my dorfs.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 01:49:12 pm by juanito89 »

NightmareBros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8604 on: December 08, 2010, 02:51:38 pm »

A draltha ambushed a dog on my 20x level high Death stairs (named because of the ammount of casulties caused be falling due to having no walls protecting from that sort of thing). Dog grappled draltha, a metalsmith just came in, kicked the draltha, which made the draltha dodged into a very long drop to explode at the bottom. The dog also exploded at the bottom as it refused to let go.

juanito89

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8605 on: December 08, 2010, 03:14:29 pm »

Ok so the Titan was an easy kill for my dorfs. It took a 23-page log, but in the end Ezum Tiristthestar (The Star, yes. And that's his dwarven-tong name! Translates to Rimcrimson) cut hit head off.

The titan didn't land a single hit on my guys, though :/ He only tried to land 3 I think :/:/ Weird.

Wiro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8606 on: December 08, 2010, 03:21:07 pm »

Knifestokes is up and running. An aboveground fortress of dwarves who've seen the (human) light. Winter is upon us, and constant raids of Sasquatch have been showing up through the snow storm. Our hunters have kept them at a fair distance so far, however. Now to hope we don't get another of those fox raids sliding in...that'd be a disaster. Maybe it's time to shapen up the defense a little.

But really, I wonder what makes them pop up so often. I haven't modded those yet, but I'll make them a bit more fun and have them appear in groups now. Wolves have so far been more dangerous than these things.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 03:33:37 pm by Wiro »

EnDSchultz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8607 on: December 08, 2010, 05:29:58 pm »

Decided I'd post a little report on my latest fort: Boatmobbed. Can thank the autonaming for that one.

It's in its third year now. Its population is around 70 Dorfs, but it only has three z-levels to it. Living quarters, dining, and a number of industries are packed on the main level. It is obviously undersized for the population, but they don't seem to complain. Besides, this is an industrial stronghold on the fringes of "The Tombs of Death" territory, not some pansy Elven getaway resort!

Had one ambush from goblins. Casualties were minimal. After that I actually set up a barracks one z-level above the main fort with fortifications overlooking the entrance. Training military has been slow, however; buggy melee soldiers seem to refuse to train sometimes, and we currently have very little ammunition for marksdwarves to use. The cliff side is absolutely full of iron ores and coal. Four smelters outside are working on converting the coal into usable fuel; no trees so we have to import all our wood. This resulted in a crisis when the river (offscreen) froze over and we had no empty barrels to brew booze and no wood to produce more. Also waiting for flux stone from the Mountainhomes in order to begin production of steel weapons and armour.

Hopefully the similarity of our fort's name to the infamous Boatmurdered will not also curse it with the same horrid fate.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8608 on: December 08, 2010, 09:27:59 pm »

I just lost my most badass artifact, a 2.5m  db adamantine mail shirt decorated with moons and blazing suns.  I lost it to a crash.  Luckily I had autosaves on.  I can't hope to get something as awesome, with such awesome decorations, but I hope I don't end up with a left boot or something useless.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8609 on: December 08, 2010, 10:24:26 pm »

Part 21 of my LP is up

This whole update can basically be summarized as "fuck elves". I gave them a chance, and they brought me crap. They didn't even bring any sun berries or sunshine with them. The only two animals they had were mediocre at best. So fuck paying for them, I just seized those animals. Course it was hard to justify seizing their goods in the narrative, hence the cannibalism part.

Elves are creepy little fuckers. I hope I finally get my HFS built by next spring, so I can watch them suffer a watery death. Provided they don't bring me GDS or GE, in which case all will be forgiven.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.
Pages: 1 ... 572 573 [574] 575 576 ... 3842