Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 570 571 [572] 573 574 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6106093 times)

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #8565 on: December 05, 2010, 08:49:32 pm »

Well, those idiots need to stop saying that >:U
And spoil the fun? Never.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Frosty_Dorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling DFer, Legendary Lazy, Proficient Sleeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8566 on: December 05, 2010, 09:51:55 pm »

hrmmph. Elves wanted an extra 1200 DB of stuff when trading? I even hand picked all the wood products out the bone for them. They'll make nice Totems, I eagerly await the fps killing seige. I reallly gotta get some dwarf and human carvans, I got no metal to work with yet. stupid aquifer. wood walls stop leaks right?

honestly, that was a ragequit moment.  The friggin thief just walked on past and grabbed it.  There were like 100+ floors yet to be placed.
My computer struggled to load all the demons.  Then, next frame, I check the unit list....
The last.... 4+ pages.... all demons.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8567 on: December 05, 2010, 10:43:55 pm »

Part 19 of my LP is up.

Boy, I just love it when the game doesn't give you migrants for months, then decides to jump over 20 of the fuckers on you at once. Really, it's great, especially when you are writing an LP.

For the most part the migrants have been turned into haulers and masons, with a handful replacing some positions we currently lack. Once I get the workshop area set up more of them will be converted into more useful professions. I'm hoping to hand the metal industry up before the end of the year, as trying to beat goblins with shit equipment is not fun. Hopefully the humans and dwarves will bring me something to work with. Or the elves might have decent war beasts. Here's hoping for giant eagles.

Also that war hammer is pretty cool just because it's made from the cave kraken that killed Dishmab, but it still sucks as a weapon. I guess I'll find some way to use it for decorating purposes. I do have a display case mod downloaded.

Well, those idiots need to stop saying that >:U

Oh grow up. Why people are suddenly obsessing over what we refer to the HFS in spoilers in ridiculous. It just a name, who gives a crap. I just use clowns because it's something most people know.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8568 on: December 05, 2010, 11:16:13 pm »

Part 19 of my LP is up.

Also that war hammer is pretty cool just because it's made from the cave kraken that killed Dishmab, but it still sucks as a weapon. I guess I'll find some way to use it for decorating purposes. I do have a display case mod downloaded.

It's gotta be better than punching and kicking though, so it might give the rest of your unarmed military a better go of it. 'sides, it'll raise their maceman skill for when you get a proper weapon.

stormyseasons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8569 on: December 05, 2010, 11:19:10 pm »

A siege showed up in spring, just after the elves came round. Said siege group brought a general. A previously kidnapped from some other dwarvish settlement general. Amongst a group of gobbo bowmen. While I'm waiting for the elves to scram inside to my depot, aforementioned siege reveals an ambush of skulking vermin. They promptly start shooting at each other. I might not even need to alert my military for this...
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper GOLD - 475+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8570 on: December 05, 2010, 11:31:42 pm »

It has begun.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8571 on: December 05, 2010, 11:52:20 pm »

Mid Spring of 505 in the Metropolis of Ringquest, pop. 157  fps 20(15)

Thanks to a huge vein of limonite, we've outfitted two full squads in steel, and have enough left over to shore up the entrance weapon traps with a third row of serrated iron discs. Not that it's necessary; our military has beaten the goblins so thoroughly that they rarely poke their nose into the realm. But just in case they get uppity and try a seige, we'll be ready.

Construction this season has focused on setting up a royal suite, in case the queen should deign to visit our humble abode. Also, the general populous quarters are being upgraded to Decent quarters for everyone. We shall have a reputation of one of the nicest places to live in the kingdom.

We've also discovered the caverns, and are setting up a military outpost at what will be the entrance to the caverns. The plan is a barracks, training grounds, small dining area and food storage, along with a silk loom and silk storage.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 12:44:56 am by AngleWyrm »

Redukt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8572 on: December 06, 2010, 12:24:56 am »

It has begun.

Oh no

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8573 on: December 06, 2010, 12:28:49 am »

Part 19 of my LP is up.

It's gotta be better than punching and kicking though, so it might give the rest of your unarmed military a better go of it. 'sides, it'll raise their maceman skill for when you get a proper weapon.

Actually considering it weighs less than >1, I think it's even less effective than those toy blow-up hammers you get at carnivals.

Maybe if I decide to replace the sheriff with a non-military dwarf I'll give it to him.

EDIT: Wait, I just got a brilliant idea to utilize this weapon and work it into the narrative. It's perfect.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Redukt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8574 on: December 06, 2010, 12:30:00 am »

Arty megaproject-y high-maintenance fort:

I just turned invasions off for the first time. Feels slightly like cheating, but it was just so *boring* to have all progress stalled for months while four gobbosquads were chilling outside the gates. All is well in Ghosttown (yes, really - I seriously considered switching projects after seeing that name), almost everyone is ecstatic, relatively few are idling. Even the one shameful blemish on our history - a stupid, avoidable flooding accident which resulted in the death of Vabok the Woodcutter - ended well on balance. In life, Vabok was a bit of an eccentric - deeply religious and with only passing aquaintances. He always managed to find something useful to do, avoiding idling and parties, always "having to" haul this or fell that. If all else failed, he was on break. I imagine him going "ooh, I'd love to come to your party, I really would. But, uh, I'm on break. So I can't. Overseer's orders, what can you do..."

After he drowned and the other dwarves failed to bury his submerged, walled-in corpse, he naturally came back as a ghost. However, he must have seen something unexpected in the afterlife - maybe he became disillusioned, or maybe his god gave him a few choice words about underestimating the value of crude dwarven companionship - because now he is a total socialite. He always hangs out by the well (where there's a more or less constant small party, which is fine with me since it keeps the children away from the danger room), and has become something of a mascot for the fort. He is my first ghost ever, so for all I know he might be having horrific effects that will force me to engrave a slab or lose the fort, but I hope I can keep him. He gives this goblin-free hyper-industrious fort some much-needed personality.

Militant shambolic low-maintenance fort:

"The Fish Cleaner vomits"

I find that sentence inexplicably wonderful. It's just so *punk* somehow. The fact that it pretty much sums up the whole fort is... slightly less wonderful, but I'm not abandoning this one. Ever. It is bound to crumble in a gloriously dwarfy way.

McDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8575 on: December 06, 2010, 01:11:51 am »

Got a dark purple message on the 28th of Opal, 1055. Solonavus, "Flagmine", and the surrounding lands have been made a county. And now Monom is calling himself a count.

His demands are getting a bit annoying. After demanding a bed, he banned the export of bracelets, only to lift it after the elves left, but reinstating it after the humans come and go. Bracelets are for humans only apparently.
He also works less then before. He use to be my architect before being ennobled and dabbled in masonry in addition to being a legendary carpenter. Now he just sits in his office getting fatter.
Well that is not entirely true, he still managers work orders and makes wooden stuff, but I want him out working on the bridge.
He is also now described as corpulent instead of very fat like he was last time I saw him. I put in a request for a screw pump to try and get him some exercise, but the forges are backed up.

In a more positive news, our legendary miner, Litast, withdrew from society for a bit while he made The Ashen Vines.
It weighs around 13 and is worth 90000.
The Ashen Vines is a lignite armor stand. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of lignite, tetrahedrite, and rope reed fiber. This object menaces with spikes of native gold, jelly opal, palm, elephant bone and fire opal.
On the item is an image of Dur, the deity of mountains, war, and fortresses, depicted as a male mountain goat and two dwarves in green glass. The dwarves are praying. Dur is contemplating.

Frosty_Dorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling DFer, Legendary Lazy, Proficient Sleeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8576 on: December 06, 2010, 01:16:30 am »

honestly, that was a ragequit moment.  The friggin thief just walked on past and grabbed it.  There were like 100+ floors yet to be placed.
My computer struggled to load all the demons.  Then, next frame, I check the unit list....
The last.... 4+ pages.... all demons.

gasman

• Escaped Lunatic
  • The Word
    • View Profile
    • Rusty Spatula
« Reply #8577 on: December 06, 2010, 12:43:24 pm »

In a more positive news, our legendary miner, Litast, withdrew from society for a bit while he made The Ashen Vines.
It weighs around 13 and is worth 90000.
The Ashen Vines is a lignite armor stand. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of lignite, tetrahedrite, and rope reed fiber. This object menaces with spikes of native gold, jelly opal, palm, elephant bone and fire opal.
On the item is an image of Dur, the deity of mountains, war, and fortresses, depicted as a male mountain goat and two dwarves in green glass. The dwarves are praying. Dur is contemplating.

That is by far the most dwarvenly armor stand I have ever beheld. Treasure it greatly.
I sing of a tale of dwarven lore
Of glorious and bloody war
Of ale to be feared,
And long braided beards
On the women we all do adore.

EmperorNuthulu

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes nu's for their blueness, oh and that mohawk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8578 on: December 06, 2010, 03:25:37 pm »

Bronzebite, a fortress with only one thing separating it from ultimate defeat, a berserk horse. Recently a group of elven traders came by. Luckily, through manipulation of their stupidity I managed to trap them in a small corridor. The corridor linked into the fortress, yet I never use it as an entrance. One horse proved to be a berserk demon horse that killed the elves and the other horse, recieving only a few scars and dents (including one on its eye!). Now this horse serves as a guardian of my fortress in times of great peril. Oh and also I got a artifact iron spear but that's not as relevant as a berserk horse.   
Blargh.

Deviled

• Bay Watcher
  • Yup
    • View Profile
« Reply #8579 on: December 06, 2010, 03:34:29 pm »

I just hit the magma sea by acident. One dwarf died because he was to elven he should move when he's standing in 2/7 of magma.
Pages: 1 ... 570 571 [572] 573 574 ... 3842