Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 568 569 [570] 571 572 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6106235 times)

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #8535 on: December 04, 2010, 06:55:25 pm »

LEAVE MY FORT ALONE!  I'M SERIOUS!!

Apparently I'm not the only one with a Forgotten Beast Disco...
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8536 on: December 04, 2010, 11:15:32 pm »

Random Dwarf: Uh, sir, we're out of food.
Me: WHAT?
*Looks at food stockpiles*
Food: 2759
Drink: 2758
Meat: 1
Me: Oh well, looks like we need to make due...

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8537 on: December 05, 2010, 12:52:01 am »

the dwarf liason came.  and while the caravan he was with made it in safely, the liason spawned on the other side of the map, right in the middle of an ambush.  my military did not arrive to save him in time.  I'm worried what will happen with my dwarf liason dead.

Also I caught a hydra.  Can I edit raws to make it tameable?  Although if I leave it untamed, i can use it to execute dwarves.  That could be nice.

also, I'm having surgery doing surgery on some guy.  i have tables next to the beds, and i'm not getting the 'job canceled patient not resting' message.  The surgeon just moves him back to the bed after a few seconds of surgery, without the procedure being done in his medical history.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 12:54:18 am by slothen »
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8538 on: December 05, 2010, 05:24:43 am »

There's a [make everything tamable] bit with the Lazy Nubes pack, so very, very possible to edit raws to tame things - I tamed both a dragon and a hydra in my last fort.  The Dragon turned out to be slightly awesome, in a way, but the hydra was "Awesomely strong but very weak" and just hung around with the tame monkeys...

Anyway, Tooltempest is lazy fun.  Lush green limestone biome next to cliffs with a magma crater, with magma surface at z-1.  So rather than get complicated, I tunnelled into the side of the cliff, went down and across a bit, floored over part of the crater, and got gold crafts produced before I even thought of a craftsdwarf's workshop.

So, for once, I have magma, water, flux, coal, magnetite lodes, trees and bronze-making ores.  I also seem to have indoor plants from at least cavern level 2 growing around the place, despite not having been near any caverns (spores may have floated up through the magma?) and an Antman problem about 20 levels down, judging from the FB composed entirely of water they knocked out a season back.

I'm so happy with it, that I didn't even consider killing the human and elven merchants and taking their stuff.  Well, not yet, anyway...

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Wiro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8539 on: December 05, 2010, 08:23:16 am »

A bipolar kangaroo appeared. I wonder if it's ever gonna come in, because up to now it has repeatedly walked half-way to the entrance of my fortress and back. Maybe it's afraid of something.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8540 on: December 05, 2010, 09:04:01 am »

A bipolar kangaroo appeared. I wonder if it's ever gonna come in, because up to now it has repeatedly walked half-way to the entrance of my fortress and back. Maybe it's afraid of something.
Your kangaroo walks back and forth because it can't decide which of its sides is in front.

Wiro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8541 on: December 05, 2010, 09:07:23 am »

Your kangaroo walks back and forth because it can't decide which of its sides is in front.

Huh, what do you mean?

Also, I just caught it, sacrificing a miner in the process.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8542 on: December 05, 2010, 09:19:15 am »

Huh, what do you mean?

Witty remark on the subject of "bipolar".

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #8543 on: December 05, 2010, 09:41:55 am »

I swear to fucking God, I think I'm uncorking a huge goblin bottle everytime I go outside.

My fort is sealed from all invaders, but I occasionally pierce upwards in order to build a staircase tower.  Usually, when the merchants arrive, they attract all the gobbos and a huge bloody fight ensues on the way to my trading depot.

I wait for the battle to end, then pierce up and quickly cover up, but to no avail: goblins pour out like some nasty obese gobling goddess got impregnated and she has a thousand ovaries set into overdrive just so she can sit next to my fort and shit out goblin squads like there's no tomorrow.  Just last time I pierced, despite eight ambushes having clashed with the merchants days before, I got TWELVE MORE coming down the tunnel I'd just dug in!

And this time, the same thing happened.  I dig in the middle of winter, in which I've encountered no goblins, ever, and the minute I pop out and peek, I get SIX AMBUSHES BACK TO BACK WHAT THE HELL.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8544 on: December 05, 2010, 09:46:42 am »

I swear to fucking God, I think I'm uncorking a huge goblin bottle everytime I go outside.

My fort is sealed from all invaders, but I occasionally pierce upwards in order to build a staircase tower.  Usually, when the merchants arrive, they attract all the gobbos and a huge bloody fight ensues on the way to my trading depot.

I wait for the battle to end, then pierce up and quickly cover up, but to no avail: goblins pour out like some nasty obese gobling goddess got impregnated and she has a thousand ovaries set into overdrive just so she can sit next to my fort and shit out goblin squads like there's no tomorrow.  Just last time I pierced, despite eight ambushes having clashed with the merchants days before, I got TWELVE MORE coming down the tunnel I'd just dug in!

And this time, the same thing happened.  I dig in the middle of winter, in which I've encountered no goblins, ever, and the minute I pop out and peek, I get SIX AMBUSHES BACK TO BACK WHAT THE HELL.

They've lived for a millenium. A couple of years isn't going to bother them, so they wait.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Barnox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8545 on: December 05, 2010, 10:22:36 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I got this artefact from a child, after testing out my puppy goblin drowning chamber. Several times.
The thing is, I'm not getting many goblins... and the chamber must be put to use somehow...

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #8546 on: December 05, 2010, 10:24:06 am »

Your antics are scarring that child man.

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8547 on: December 05, 2010, 11:11:50 am »

Bronzeblazes prepares to close on its second year. The outer wall is now finished, the barracks  complex are nearly done, just need to hook up the danger room.  Thanks to the dwarven caravan my dwarves were saved from death by dehydration; a reorganization of labors and better vigilance on my part will prevent this in the future. I noticed a spiny dogfish hanging out in the moat I made to prevent unwanteds from traveling in from the beach side of my map I shall have to look into creating a trap room and perhaps a special training center in the future. The idea of  an ocean full of war whales is oddly appealing.

In the year ahead I plan to finally build apartment complexes as well as actualy building a store front and warehouse for my clothing industry. The back log is getting rather nasty.
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8548 on: December 05, 2010, 11:55:55 am »

The Oracular Ever-Universe. With a name like that, I expect awesomeness from this world.

Serio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8549 on: December 05, 2010, 12:19:06 pm »

18th Malachite, Mid-Summer, Year 260

An extra layer of security has been added to the entrance hall, after the 'incident' with Amsir last year. The south wall has been knocked down, and an marksdwarf post has been established in its place. In the future, this post will house two ballistas, and at least four marksdwarves at all times. Two ammunition stockpiles ensure that any dwarf on duty will have plenty of supplies. The masons have also finally gotten around to repairing the first, second, and third gates. With some luck and skill, the new improvements will hopefully trap any goblin invader in the Hall of Ouch, which, even if it should malfunction, will give the marksdwarves plenty of practice.

As a side note, still no sign of the caravan from the Mine of Cathedrals. Strange. Last time they visited was in 268. If they haven't visited by 271, I'll have either go into the caverns and take out the Forgotten Beasts, or go topside and fight the goblins and kobolds. I need lumber to produce those ballistas.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 03:10:52 pm by Serio »
Pages: 1 ... 568 569 [570] 571 572 ... 3842