Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 567 568 [569] 570 571 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6106227 times)

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #8520 on: December 04, 2010, 01:46:17 pm »

Got 8 dwarfs permanently stuck in the hospital because they have at least one leg ruined beyond repair (but no spinal damage). No other patient for the time being.
It's time to release a couple war prisoners.
Also worth noting: half the dorfs have some kind of injury, mutilation, or scar. I'm extremely impressed.

toe severed leg motor nerve damage? ^^

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8521 on: December 04, 2010, 01:59:33 pm »

Got 8 dwarfs permanently stuck in the hospital because they have at least one leg ruined beyond repair (but no spinal damage). No other patient for the time being.
Also worth noting: half the dorfs have some kind of injury, mutilation, or scar. I'm extremely impressed.

Yep, all of them have motor damage. The point is that they're not technically paraplegic, but because crutches are completely bugged, well...
And I didn't have the foresight to implement a massive euthanasia system. Still having trouble getting water where I want because, guess what, when the workforce is not resting, they're taking care of the injured, I'm not mentioning magma, and I didn't think I'd need a cave-in device for that and it'd require way too much work right now. So, it's the caged hostile for now. *facepalms*
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #8522 on: December 04, 2010, 02:10:50 pm »

Have you tried taking the bed out from under them? I've got a working woodcutter with sensory and motor nerve damage in one of her arms working and being part of society and such.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8523 on: December 04, 2010, 02:14:58 pm »

Have you tried taking the bed out from under them? I've got a working woodcutter with sensory and motor nerve damage in one of her arms working and being part of society and such.
Arms, yes, but leg? Can they snap out of their resting state and drag themselves on their remaining functioning leg (if they have one) if I take out the beds in their state? Anyway, I'll try, it'll only take a minute or two and I've got nothing to lose...

EDIT: half of them had their bed vanish from under their crippled selves; they're now all jobless and unwilling/unable to move. I knew it.  :'(
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 02:31:54 pm by Musashi »
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Kilowatt

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what this does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8524 on: December 04, 2010, 02:53:41 pm »

Watching in horror as my dunk chamber trap floods my fortress.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #8525 on: December 04, 2010, 03:07:36 pm »

I just finished testing my euthanasia machine. The hospital has eight rooms, each 2x3. On the back wall, there's a traction bench, a bed and an operating table. By the door, there are two lever-controlled hatches. One leads to my main high-pressure water pipe, the other to my main drain pipe. Got a dwarf with no hope of recovery? Rather than just locking the door and waiting for him to die of thirst, I pull lever A, wait about ten seconds, then pull lever B and bury the corpse.

Yeah, I built one of those back in 40d but the dwarves never got put in those beds.

To test it I ordered a lyemaker test subject into it and then ran the levers. Very effective.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #8526 on: December 04, 2010, 03:15:02 pm »

Decked out my queen in all the wearable artifacts. Leather turban, silver low boot, pig tail... chausse?
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8527 on: December 04, 2010, 03:25:24 pm »

This fort's first artifact has a picture of itself on it.
Oi.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Lord Braindead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8528 on: December 04, 2010, 03:25:46 pm »

Just looked through the animal stockpile to see if my cage traps got something useful and found a female giant eagle.

Seems like my warelephants will soon have some flying buddies.  :D

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8529 on: December 04, 2010, 04:32:35 pm »

Huh... remember my last report?
Well, two patients were enrolled in the army and had gotten injured in duty. I left my able squads right next to the hospital to exterminate the two goblin crossbowmen and the troll once they were done maiming the crippled.
Result:
-nobody got injured.
-because the two crippled soldiers got up and beat the shit out of them.
-one of them is now named "Zefon Boltsflank the Dour Hardiness of Roughness".

... huh
Well
Good to see you
Hey, you can walk again! Isn't that nice?
No, I didn't try to kill you, I... look, let's forget that regrettable accident and go on as a community. Okay?...

EDIT: and now, they stopped moving again. No job, they're hungry and thirsty, but won't move. So what the shit happened? Did they crawl up to the creatures and slice their knees? Whut.  ???
So, they will keep protecting the hospital to the end, as I can see. Well... I don't see anything wrong with making their wish a reality. I'll keep the hospital open, see how long they last, and make a nice tomb for Lady Zefon. If someone puts them back in bed to rest, well, I'll launch more beasts, but until them, I'll give them some dignity.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 04:45:48 pm by Musashi »

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8530 on: December 04, 2010, 05:02:29 pm »

Part 17 of my LP is up.

If you're wondering why I focused so much on that trog attack, it's because it makes no damn sense to me. Somehow a trog managed to get through the deep road, barracks, and civilian workshops without hitting a single animal or dwarf. Considering all the training, engraving, building, etc going on down there you'd think someone would encounter it. But no, it just waltzed right up into the meeting hall.

If this had been something like a cave crocodile, Mosus would be a corpse. And that idea bothers me. Even in Townbrush I never had this problem. Beasts from the underground always ran into something on the way up.

Also I didn't mention it, but there's a giant cheetah patrolling the area around Reveredtour. It just keeps walking around the fort, as if it's waiting for a dwarf to go outside. If it's still there when I make the next update, I'm going to introduce it to the Immortal Rags.
After the elephant, is it possible that you have a variant of the old spawning bug? Also, kobolds are more dangerous than you suggest.

I'm not sure, but it wouldn't surprise me. It's made things more interesting, that's for sure.

On the subject of kobolds, off the top of my head they've only been a problem once. A master thief stabbed someone in the hand and crippled it. Though I assumed that had less to do with him being a kobold and more with him being a master thief. After a mason managed to beat a kobold to death once, I can't take them seriously.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8531 on: December 04, 2010, 05:28:22 pm »

Yep, all of them have motor damage. The point is that they're not technically paraplegic, but because crutches are completely bugged, well...
And I didn't have the foresight to implement a massive euthanasia system. Still having trouble getting water where I want because, guess what, when the workforce is not resting, they're taking care of the injured, I'm not mentioning magma, and I didn't think I'd need a cave-in device for that and it'd require way too much work right now. So, it's the caged hostile for now. *facepalms*

its something strange this version .. if you lose but one toe the whole dwarf will very likely lose the whole leg :D

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #8532 on: December 04, 2010, 05:36:21 pm »

Finally built a protected surface farm after trolls stomped on all my sunberries three times.
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8533 on: December 04, 2010, 06:22:07 pm »

Last thing for today:
three successive very minor cave-ins accident involving deconstructed floor tiles, with one casualty. That is not the important part.
The important part is that, since yesterday, I've started explaining to my mom what actually I had been playing with on my computer for over a month, and she found Dwarf Fortress very complex but interesting according to my descriptions. Tonight, I tell her the news: one idiot must have deconstructed the floor right under his feet or something, and I joked about how that's gonna be one more coffin for me to make. I half-expect her to cringe a bit.
My mother, usually very compassionate and disliker of needless violence, replied this: "a coffin? Are you kidding? Don't waste time with that moron, just incinerate him!"
I reminded her that was actually possible, thanks to magma. She giggled and approved the use of magma as a solution to mostly everything.
That was such unexpected dorfiness I am now morally obligated to speed up the magma garbage dump project and incinerate the next dumbass who manages to fall more than 1 z-level. :,)

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #8534 on: December 04, 2010, 06:46:48 pm »

LEAVE MY FORT ALONE!  I'M SERIOUS!!
Pages: 1 ... 567 568 [569] 570 571 ... 3842