Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 566 567 [568] 569 570 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6106076 times)

caknuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #8505 on: December 04, 2010, 12:45:15 am »

1 1/2 years in and moods haven't been very kind to me or to the denizens of Boltstorches.

The first mood was the possession of a migrant woodcrafter, yielding a 6000 db maple figurine. Use-fucking-less.

The second was a secretive mood hitting one of my founders, a stonecrafter. Who was already a Master Stonecrafter. And I get a hematite ring that's encrusted with hematite, menaces with spikes of hematite and has an image of some random jabberer... in hematite. FUUUUUUU--

Third mood: A fourth-wave migrant milker with no moodable skills gets possessed and produces a cedar ring worth 19.2K db. *facepalm*
Quote from: Primary
*Kneels before Urist Dickpuncher*

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8506 on: December 04, 2010, 01:28:37 am »

I was giving single Armorsmithing jobs to my non-useful dwarves for strange mood purposes, and the last one, a Peasant, got a Secretive mood literally three seconds after her job was done. :D

And then she made a Steel low boot with a single extra decoration made of Kapok wood. D: But at least I have my armorer now.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8507 on: December 04, 2010, 01:55:57 am »

I just had eleven (!!!) of the big cavern spiders appear on my map.  One of them has already found my entrance and is just sitting at the top of the shaft scaring away anyone who tries to wall it up.

This is gonna be Fun.  I can't purge the area with magma yet, either.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8508 on: December 04, 2010, 02:15:19 am »

All hell has broken loose in Murderwinds!
A migrant wave came and I was trying to keep them out to die, but it didn't go well and them and the overfort residents got horribly mixed before I sealed the overfort. over the next 3 months a pair of goblin ambush squads annihilated all of those outside. Tantrum spiral ensues, many perish, many more left crippled. One has gone berserk. There was even emotional unrest in the fortress proper; one blacksmith died after a failed mood, his lover was also a smith whom  had let into the main fort along with the others, and once the fighting broke out above she started to tantrum, killing one other smith. I had my miner put her down. Her death almost made things worse, but her friend, also a  smith inside the fort and married to a man trapped above gave birth, neither of them will be a problem for a while.
I'm waiting for the day to open the gates and have actual interaction between the overfort an the 'real' fortress. Everything's just so chaotic... There's a married couple in the overfort I would save before tragedy finally comes to them and their two previously-born children. One other child is being haunted by the ghost of her father! :'(
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Serio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8509 on: December 04, 2010, 04:52:47 am »

Everything was going quite well in Speargorged, but then Amsir the Forest Titan appeared in the distance. He quickly charged the front gates, breaking them. I barely managed to get the secondary and tertiary gates closed before he entered into the entrance hall. My masons have erected a wall behind the tertiary gate, but this being the first actual encounter I've had with a titan in Fortress mode, I have no idea if they'll hold him back. Even if they don't, they'll at least buy my military some extra time to arm and equip themselves.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 04:58:36 am by Serio »

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8510 on: December 04, 2010, 04:55:53 am »

Everything was going quite well in Speargorged, but then Amsir the Forest Titan appeared in the distance. He quickly charged the front gates, breaking them. I barely managed to get the secondary and tertiary gates closed before he entered into the entrance hall. My masons have erected a wall behind the tertiary gate, but this being the first actual encounter I've had with a titan in Fortress mode, I have no idea if they'll hold him back. Even if they don't, they'll at least buy my military some extra time to arm and equip themselves.

Constructed walls and floors are still nigh invincible.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Serio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8511 on: December 04, 2010, 05:00:26 am »

Constructed walls and floors are still nigh invincible.
Not as much invincible as the titan treating them as natural obstacles. It just turned away when it reached the wall, as if there wasn't anything beyond it. At least it will give my military time to arm and equip themselves.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8512 on: December 04, 2010, 05:59:44 am »

Part 17 of my LP is up.

If you're wondering why I focused so much on that trog attack, it's because it makes no damn sense to me. Somehow a trog managed to get through the deep road, barracks, and civilian workshops without hitting a single animal or dwarf. Considering all the training, engraving, building, etc going on down there you'd think someone would encounter it. But no, it just waltzed right up into the meeting hall.

If this had been something like a cave crocodile, Mosus would be a corpse. And that idea bothers me. Even in Townbrush I never had this problem. Beasts from the underground always ran into something on the way up.

Also I didn't mention it, but there's a giant cheetah patrolling the area around Reveredtour. It just keeps walking around the fort, as if it's waiting for a dwarf to go outside. If it's still there when I make the next update, I'm going to introduce it to the Immortal Rags.
After the elephant, is it possible that you have a variant of the old spawning bug? Also, kobolds are more dangerous than you suggest.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

GuudeSpelur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8513 on: December 04, 2010, 08:23:34 am »

After the elephant, is it possible that you have a variant of the old spawning bug? Also, kobolds are more dangerous than you suggest.

Yeah- if kobolds are cornered, they have an annoying tendency to stab people's heads off in one blow.
This fortress is turning into some kind of supervillain lair or something.
You do remember that you've been farming gigantic wingless dragon-fish for profit and Fun, right?

McDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8514 on: December 04, 2010, 09:20:59 am »

12th Opal, 1054
The Hamlet Flagmine has been made into a barony of The Stoked Furnaces.
The expedition leader, Monom Unionstrumpet has been elevated to the noble position of baron.
The current population is 28 dwarfs, 46 animals.
Created wealth: 377370?
Imported wealth: 150704
Exported wealth: 31488

So far we have nine artifacts with only one possession, so eight legendary dwarves.
The artifacts include:
A palm bed worth 13200
A crystal opal floodgate worth 48000 (this was the possession of a gem setter)
A perfect green glass gem worth 4800
A tin buckler worth 8160
A green glass bucket worth 19200
A mule bone chain worth 1200
A basalt amulet worth 8400
A morion window worth 15600
A palm chest worth 8400

Nothing really exciting is happening, I have invasions turned off until I get my waterfall entrance complete, but my first barony.

EDIT: 28th Opal, the new baron makes his first demand. He wants 1/1 beds. He sleeps in a artifact bed and there are 12 masterwork beds in the stockpiles, that isn't enough? Fortunately, he is a legendary carpenter, so he can make his own bed.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 10:24:58 am by McDwarf »

Wiro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8515 on: December 04, 2010, 10:41:23 am »

"What? Cage traps? Nah, they'll throw in the damn beast and then we won't have to worry about it anymore, oh hey, it's certainly getting hot in here. Urist? Hey Urist? OMG URIST!!!"

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #8516 on: December 04, 2010, 11:29:53 am »

I have the greatest idea. I just learned i can engrave memorials of thieves who ambush my fort, so i decided  I'll start making them all over the outside.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8517 on: December 04, 2010, 12:17:24 pm »

Got 8 dwarfs permanently stuck in the hospital because they have at least one leg ruined beyond repair (but no spinal damage). No other patient for the time being.
It's time to release a couple war prisoners.
Also worth noting: half the dorfs have some kind of injury, mutilation, or scar. I'm extremely impressed.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Dareon Clearwater

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:colorful underwear]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8518 on: December 04, 2010, 01:21:08 pm »

My first siege arrives.  The leader is riding a cave crocodile, which gleefully swims into a pond nearby.  The leader drowns.  None of the other goblins seem at all inclined to move from their spot.
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8519 on: December 04, 2010, 01:25:07 pm »

Got 8 dwarfs permanently stuck in the hospital…

I just finished testing my euthanasia machine. The hospital has eight rooms, each 2x3. On the back wall, there's a traction bench, a bed and an operating table. By the door, there are two lever-controlled hatches. One leads to my main high-pressure water pipe, the other to my main drain pipe. Got a dwarf with no hope of recovery? Rather than just locking the door and waiting for him to die of thirst, I pull lever A, wait about ten seconds, then pull lever B and bury the corpse.

Yes, magma would be more dwarvenly, but (a) I haven't hit the magma sea on this fort yet and pump stacks give me a headache, and (b) I don't like having to make new beds over and over.
Pages: 1 ... 566 567 [568] 569 570 ... 3842