Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 562 563 [564] 565 566 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6106222 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #8445 on: December 01, 2010, 10:41:45 am »

Part 14 of my DF LP is up.

Hey, I just read that, it's awesome! :) I might have to read the rest, now. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Dorfus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8446 on: December 01, 2010, 11:19:48 am »

Just tried a proof of concept fort that worked wonders. Basically an industry-isolated burrow formation with haulers running between functional burrows managing everything. It worked sublimely, within an enclosure to ensure no ambushes get through. Or that's  what I thought.

I had an airlocking trade depot and ENSURED that at no point were both bridges open. Anyway, after traders departed, I closed the outer bridge, opened the inner bridge and bingo - ambush. THE ENTIRE DAMN AMBUSH had snuck into my airlock in the 2-3 second gap between when the last trader left and I closed the outer bridge. It's not even funny.

Still I'm sold on the concept of divisional burrows and plan to refine it further in my next fort, which will not feature an outdoor enclosure but will feature a triple airlock with sentry animal & flooding options.

Deviled

• Bay Watcher
  • Yup
    • View Profile
« Reply #8447 on: December 01, 2010, 02:36:50 pm »

I just realized that one of my dwarfs worships the goddess of suicide. I'm gonna go build a temple to her now.

caknuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8448 on: December 01, 2010, 02:51:10 pm »

Frustration with the danger room bug led me to abandon Copperparched. However, my pet semi-megaproject of The Reliquary lives on in my new fort, Boltstorches.

I genned this world specifically to produce an elven civ that spans many biomes in order to maximize my chances of getting cool exotic beasts.
Quote from: Primary
*Kneels before Urist Dickpuncher*

deathxherald

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Look! DBZ Dwarves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8449 on: December 01, 2010, 02:58:40 pm »

Ironcages is still running (amazingly) and hasnt had its first tantrum yet. thats 3 years, with constant goblins and kobolds showing there faces, and the occasional elf caravan, which i proceed to unleash my 4 legendary crossbowdorfs on, armed only with bone arrows. Masterpeice bone arrows. Yes, my bone carver makes nothing but masterpeices now, which is annoying but funny.

Im up to 56 dorfs, and with a little help from my friendly neighborhood dorf caravans, ive been able to arm 2 full squads of melee in steel, which is quite a feat for only being 3 years in from what ive noticed. Now lets see how i survive my first seige... which will more than likely hit soon, probably from the elves. Oh what !!Fun!! is in store for them...

on an unrelated note, my legendary gem cutter had a fey mood and created a set of Black Zircon earrings, worth 48000 dorfbucks. I nearly shat myself. and then my Fisherdorf had one too, and made a chesunut table, menacing with spikes of oak and chesnut, worth around 5200 dorfbucks.
Dwarf Fortress: Throwing kittens into volcanoes to see what's on the bottom.

Wiro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8450 on: December 01, 2010, 03:07:23 pm »

A baby is taking on the forgotten beast that managed to kill three of my dwarves. It is lasting approximately 3 times longer than those three dwarves did, added up.

Mudcrab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8451 on: December 01, 2010, 03:16:35 pm »

Continuous war against the goblins and the illithids (genesis)

I'm really surprised all the friendly civilizations haven't declared war yet, they keep on getting slaughtered in the midst of the fighting. I need to get some sort of magma pumping trap going on, its getting out of hand now.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8452 on: December 01, 2010, 04:26:17 pm »

A baby is taking on the forgotten beast that managed to kill three of my dwarves. It is lasting approximately 3 times longer than those three dwarves did, added up.

Nobody would ever think you're playing anything other than Dwarf Fortress... You should also name the baby Urist McPotter if it survives.

On topic; Everything is going surprisingly well in my fort. I've left the most recent migrant wave outside to construct the above-ground castle and trade for goods, and they both aren't dead yet and the two high-master miners that came with them are now legendary. I've sealed the area off except for one tile, but it's absolute chaos inside at best. Most people are miserable from the death of a pair of dwarves who died when one murdered the other and was then beaten to death by the sheriff. The next tantrummer to seriously injure someone has yet to be beaten, no sheriff is willing to do it. The interior of the fortress is rather undeveloped. There are rooms dug out and all important workshops -including the magma forges- set up, but I haven' produced any furniture. I need to actually get this hovel off it's ass and moving.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 04:37:23 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Serio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8453 on: December 01, 2010, 05:20:38 pm »

Stukos Seshuzol, a dwarf that lost the ability to stand in a heroic fight with a naked goblin, has been possessed and is dragging materials(primarily bones; goblin bones too, I believe) around the fortress.

(I made an exception and reverted back to a previous save, primarily due to the fact the traps would have worked, had the "Forbid" tag not somehow been ignored. Might've been an unclaimed shirt on the mountain, but it wasn't as spectacular as I wanted it to be. The dwarves of Speargorged ran right into the spears of the goblins. If it happens again, I'll just abandon the fort and reclaim it at a later point. Or maybe I'll flood the top levels.)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8454 on: December 01, 2010, 05:28:30 pm »

I have to repeal my previous statement; All is not well here. We've been hit by ambush after ambush, the trader caravans are refusing to move from where they spawn on the map for whatever reason (my dwarves can certainly path to their location and back to the depot), and there have been more than a dozen kobold thieves stealing all our valuables, and there's not a damn thing I can do to stop them! The above ground fort is in endless mortal peril until I tunnel out a cistern for a well within the walls.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8455 on: December 01, 2010, 05:45:20 pm »

The first step of my global waterfall system is a semi-fiasco: I shouldn't have expected 2/7 water to be pumped very fast from the caverns, even though it's supposed to be constantly refilled from the sides. Building some temporary manual pumps to make that shit go faster, and might have to build a couple more permanent pumps. Dayum, I'd have preferred my fortress was flooded.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8456 on: December 01, 2010, 06:15:55 pm »

My militia commander (Doing another challenge, the no supplies challenge, all dwarves have fighter skill) punc - No, let me tell you the report.

The militia commander punches The Buzzard in the head with her left hand, bruising the muscle jamming the skull through the brain and tearing apart the brain!

I only noticed this now (as this fight was a while ago) because I was looking to see if one of my animals got in a fight with some pigeions.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8457 on: December 01, 2010, 06:34:11 pm »

Embark to find two happy alligators ready to gobble my people up.
Cue the swordsmen getting eaten by alligators while my party flees.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Urist McUristy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8458 on: December 01, 2010, 06:38:25 pm »

Embark to find two happy alligators ready to gobble my people up.
Cue the swordsmen getting eaten by alligators while my party flees.
Like me, but replace the alligators with a bronze colossus.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8459 on: December 01, 2010, 07:59:22 pm »

Part 15 of my DF LP is up.

I was really hoping the dead dwarves wouldn't turn into ghosts. But of course, they did. I still don't have a graveyard dug out, and have no clue where I'm going to put it. So I can't bury the dwarves yet. Granted, I could just place the coffin anywhere, but that would kill me inner OCD for proper fortress design. It's not like the ghost is particularly dangerous. Just one that wakes people up with its screaming. Amusingly, that is the most fitting ghost for Dishmab's personality. If it was a murderous poltergeist I'd build a coffin right away, but I can deal with her haunting Reveredtour for a bit.

And I don't know where the hell that elephant came from.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.
Pages: 1 ... 562 563 [564] 565 566 ... 3842