Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 561 562 [563] 564 565 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6106213 times)

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #8430 on: November 30, 2010, 04:31:23 pm »

What text file are they in?
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #8431 on: November 30, 2010, 04:47:26 pm »

Whopee! I just captured a hydra! Now I have something to match against my captured goblins! (I found that simply dumping them in the caverns didn't cut it because they could escape by the edge of the map before meeting anything nasty.

Now I'll build a dedicated hydra chamber :D
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

vhappylurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8432 on: November 30, 2010, 04:52:34 pm »

What text file are they in?

In Civ Forge, mammoths are under large_tundra_cf. Not sure about other mods.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8433 on: November 30, 2010, 05:07:32 pm »

In genesis it was creature_genesis_mammals_large. Anyway, it says [TRAINABLE_WAR]. Does that mean I don't have to change it? It also says [PET] and [MOUNT].
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8434 on: November 30, 2010, 07:17:49 pm »

Part 13 of my DF LP is up.

Not much happened during this update in terms of gameplay, as it was told from the perspective of the outpost liaison. I always imagine the beaneath their calm and polite behavior is a very angry and bitter dwarf. After all, liaison's have a pretty shitty job considering how most Dwarf Fortress players treat them.

Thinking of an explanation for the high price of crutches was actually difficult. I settles for the cave in since that's how most dwarves are injured, though I still don't see why that would require a huge amount of crutches. I guess you can imagine that they somehow managed to collapse the entire slum district of the capital, or some other horrific disaster.

Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

RedWick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8435 on: November 30, 2010, 10:48:57 pm »

I just managed to somehow repel two different groups of goblin ambushers, one consisting of lashers and the other consisting of nothing but archers.  The archers managed to position themselves directly above my open air courtyard, where all of my idle dwarves gather.  Despite the rain of arrows, nobody actually ended up getting killed.  Moreover, the only dwarves that died were two speardwarves that came along with my yearly caravan and two other untrained wrestlers.

After frantically trying to figure out how the hell to get my dwarves to get inside the damn fortress instead of standing around getting shot at, I decided to just give up and recruited everybody in an attempt to overwhelm the invaders.  Amazingly, it worked, though I did end up with 13 wounded dwarves in my hospital.  I had enough foresight to make it large enough to accommodate all of them.  Moreover, I assigned a number of dwarves to be doctors and, lo and behold, I haven't lost a single dwarf to malpractice!

Despite being wholly unprepared, my fort survives with only minimal causalities.  Nobody even lost any limbs, so once my dwarves were all sutured up and treated, they were back on their merry way!  Awesome!

HoffaSaurusX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8436 on: November 30, 2010, 11:25:42 pm »

A wandering werewolf noticed that my baby carrying architect was drinking by the brook. He promptly took to chasing her to eat her sweet dwarven flesh. My architect was no match for the speed of the werewolf and it chased her down quickly...

...Where upon it tore the baby from her arms and ripped it to pieces...

I wish this level of grusome was unheard off from my fort, but topside is essentially a chalk keep covered in the blood of children, farmers, monkeys and cattle.

The mother didn't tantrum, no one did. Everyone is just used to babies being mutilated. Perhaps the dozen or so half dead dogs and cats which wander the halls (they all seem to bravely rush out and get mutilated by evil creatures) has made people hardened to it all. On the plus side, this is my longest lasting fort to date! like 6 years! God I'm terrible at this game...

Harbinger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8437 on: November 30, 2010, 11:34:09 pm »

Spoiler: Oh what luck I have (click to show/hide)

Mammoths.
Why are all your dwarves masons?
Their peasants, this is Genesis mod and the get ready button has all points used up. I was going to do a Santa challenge but now it's Santa challenge with peasants. Also, mammoths walked away. Maybe they were scared of my two Steel Dwarfs. (2 Steel, 2 Jade, 3 Stone) Was hoping for an obsidian if it came to fighting.

I suggest making up some cages in between the toymaking to get some mammoths for the slay eh, sleigh.

'cause you can't have slaughter without laughter.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

Cannabust

• Bay Watcher
  • Prick with a pick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8438 on: November 30, 2010, 11:45:00 pm »

My first ever fort! I've done slight work with the old mayday tutorial but I'm playing the new mayday pack for 31.18, so I'm hoping that I can manage iragation, I'm wonder how I would get buckets, I did not bring one on my journey and a water source is kind of far away.

None the less I have high hopes for the fort of Drillmourn, may my dwarves live long enough to see a noble get here!
Current Adventurer: Fel AXESEVER, the MOUNTAINOUS VIOLENCE
http://new-eggbert.myminicity.com/ind (WE NEED FACTORIES!)
Armok needs blood, I just do it with picks.

Harbinger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8439 on: November 30, 2010, 11:49:50 pm »

My first ever fort! I've done slight work with the old mayday tutorial but I'm playing the new mayday pack for 31.18, so I'm hoping that I can manage iragation, I'm wonder how I would get buckets, I did not bring one on my journey and a water source is kind of far away.

None the less I have high hopes for the fort of Drillmourn, may my dwarves live long enough to see a noble get here!

underground tunnels with fortifications leading to a pool the dorfs can drink from has always worked for me.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8440 on: December 01, 2010, 02:06:22 am »

build em at the carpenter ...

setting up a well with a central cistern before helps ..
just set up some fortifications at the tunnel to it

vhappylurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8441 on: December 01, 2010, 06:45:49 am »

In genesis it was creature_genesis_mammals_large. Anyway, it says [TRAINABLE_WAR]. Does that mean I don't have to change it? It also says [PET] and [MOUNT].

Looks like all you need now is a kennel and a dwarf with Animal Trainer activated and your good to go, good sir!

Back on topic, guess who just got her first moods? One of my craftsdwarf became secretive and made a magnetite bracelet, then an engraver went fey and made...a magnetite amulet. o___0  Other news includes 4 waves of migrants and a baby dwarf bringing the population up to 50, work begun on building my upper fort, set up a small-scale metal industry to make some armor, and joined the frogmen in slaughtering snakepeople and lizardpeople. Because if it's going to make trading impossible, I may as well just attack and take the stuff by force.

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #8442 on: December 01, 2010, 06:47:53 am »

When the caravan carrying fourteen lead sarcophagi on two camels has reached the Trade Depot, I want them disintegrated. ATOM BY ATOM.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

Mudcrab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8443 on: December 01, 2010, 06:51:12 am »

I am going on a huge excavation. Time to get shit done!

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8444 on: December 01, 2010, 09:43:45 am »

Part 14 of my DF LP is up.

I'm surprised that I managed to amass such a large amount of supplies, considering I had almost nothing of value to give the merchants. Now I have more than enough food and drink to last until I can establish a stable food indsutry. Though at the moment, my sucess in doing so largely depends on when I recieve more migrants. I can't really afford to reassign any labors at the moment, so I need more dwarves to replenish my losses.

On the subject of the engravings, I find it interesting that so many of them depict elves being killed. I guess a bunch of elves decided to come out to the wastses for some reason and got themselves killed. The second closest civilization is elven, but I don't get why so many visisted an area they never colonized. I'm not complaining though. Engravings of elves being killed is a pleasent change from my last fortress. All the engravings in Twonbrush depicted dwarves being stabbed by Darnen, eaten by Forgotten Beasts, crushed by zombie whales, or an ogre beating them to death with an octopre skin backpack. That last one was particularly popular.

Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.
Pages: 1 ... 561 562 [563] 564 565 ... 3842