Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 560 561 [562] 563 564 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6106115 times)

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #8415 on: November 30, 2010, 10:04:12 am »

Just embarked. Only 46 z-levels, so we'll hit the magma early. It will also make it much easier to make !!elves!!.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

TheJackal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8416 on: November 30, 2010, 10:23:00 am »

Castlevalley is now the proud owner of a military! Somehow we managed to push past 100 dorfs without a single soldier, but by golly a nice barracks was built around the 70-dorf mark!

So far we have five squads, each consisting of three dorfs.
The Armored Lancers - Speardorfs all!
The Diamond Daggers - Axes for everydorf!
The Spry Knives - Scourges scourges scourges!
The Armors of Ignition - Clobberin' time with warhammers!
The Armored Griffons - Swords! Short and stabby!

The spears, axes and swords are nice sharp steel, while the scourges and hammers are made of sweet sweet platinum. We're a bit low on steel, so holding off on full sets of steel armor - luckily we've got lots and lots and lots of bronze!

Now all we need to do is train these sad peasant into an elite fighting force! Good thing we have plenty of goblin POWs for training dummies!

*Edit: It takes forever and lots of (D)isband and (C)reate to get names for squads that aren't ridiculous.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 11:35:14 am by TheJackal »

Mudcrab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8417 on: November 30, 2010, 11:07:33 am »

I just got a migrant wave....

28 to 50 dwarves, shit.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8418 on: November 30, 2010, 11:27:08 am »

3 Forgotten Beasts arrived at once.
The first one, Mothram, a friggin' gecko made of fire, turned the lone speardwarf Bim Kirbim into Bim Kirbim Irolvucaroggez Keshan (Bim Mergedsling the North Urn-Holes of Fire) upon death after basically boiling him alive. The second, Ayiti Iredesesi Fafiresofipu, a quadruped made of ice with a deadly spittle, took a while to be taken down and destroyed several buldings. As for the third, Asno Kutsmobbosa, an alligator with a shell and noxious gas, he stayed a while in the local water source, only getting out to fight a bit. Each one of them claimed a soldier (the first being Bim Kirbim). A single spearwarf was infected by the case, but so far, she's only been numb and doesn't show any other symptom after 2 weeks or so, which leads me to think she will be okay. It is probably a foolish thought.
It was pretty epic all in all, especially considering that most of the floor where the fight took place is covered in 2/7 water and the gecko was therefore engulfed

Oh, and during the attack, there was a bunch of ambushes, but they murdered each other on the border of the map instead of pillaging the fort, so...
I guess it went this way.
"Dude, I can't attack that fort. Maybe there are my natural parents in there."
"Urist, Windslap was only founded 10 years ago. You're probably 25."
"That's what you're saying! How can I know you're not lying?"
"Look, man up and shoot a goddamn midget, or your bones will help me summon..."
"Ngoxang, don't you talk like that to Urist! I raised him like he was my own little brother!"
"Oh, c'mon! Nobody asked you to do that! Beside, I always told you to friggin' kidnap them before the age of ten for a reason! Else they remember their old fortress and they go all angsty teenager on us. Remember Shorast?"
"What should I have done instead, you smartass?"
"This! *stab*"
"Oh my god, you stabbed Urist, you bastard!"
*more stabbin' action*
Several Urists away...
"What the shit are they doing?"
"I think their dwarf recruit is rebelling. Dammit."
"I always knew this would happen. Sorry, Uzno, but we can't take the risk of letting any possible traitor in our ranks."
"... but I'm a human!"
"... but he's our best recruit!"
"Shut up! I'm your leader! And I decide we..."
"*stabs* I never liked him anyway. Dibs on his socks."
"Like hell, woman, they're made of dyed rope reed fiber."
"Over my dead body!"
... and so forth.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 12:47:22 pm by Musashi »
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8419 on: November 30, 2010, 11:27:38 am »

60k surplus foodstuffs, how did it happen?  Butchering all the unessential animals, including elephant calves, farming brewing and cook left unchecked since striking the earth, a massive stockpile of barrels for booze, bags so that seeds don't take up the stockpiles, and forbidding all barrels from going to non booze piles...

Also at 200+ surplus steel, not sure what to do with it as I can equip my entire population...100 copper, didn't realize I was even smelting copper ore...  ...and look at that I just dug into more coal and hemitite...  Marble layers are abundant... so more steel... 40 war elephants and only 6 professional soldiers... but the elephants are doing well at gobblin goring.  Currently building an outdoor complex over the underground fortress...

No lava or cotton candy yet... maybe that should be this forts next project after the upstairs is finished.
I know, I know.... No lava after 20 years... horrible thoughts.

After work I'll return to the Jungles of Scorching and continue.
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8420 on: November 30, 2010, 11:34:28 am »

Shorast the Mayor, and Legendary Miner, and Legendary Mechanic, survived almost certain death twice in one assault...

Replacing a cage in a trap at the entrance, ambush by goblin archers.  He sprints AWAY from the safety of the fortress.  Keeps trying to sneak past the archers, and I wrote him off as a pincushion.  Still, he managed to bat about a dozen arrows out of the air, and when I raised a bridge to block the southern entrance, he got the idea to go to the north gate....

... where he runs into a dozen axe and sword goblins.  Well, THIS time he's dead, right? Nope, leads them happily in a lap around the small hill out there, through a few weapon traps, and back into my militia that I'd finally got organised at the southern gate.

End result - 8 goblins dead, 4 caged and 2 made it back off the map.  And Shorast is unharmed, and once again banning the export of either bags or anvils...
That's kinda awesome in a ridiculous way. Try sending him headfirst into HFS and see what happens!

I love that stuff, mine usually goes the opposite way.

Goblin ambush leader runs into weapon traps and falls 6 Z lvls, survives runs through the labyrinth of doom into my fortress scares the dwarves and blocks his way through the marksdwarves, hammerdwarves and traps at the entrance and escapes. All the while having 2 broken legs and a broken lower back with paralysis.

If I recall his name translated to Ruthless Ruthlessdip.  I will never forget that goblin...
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."

Wiro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8421 on: November 30, 2010, 12:33:53 pm »

So I'm having my few military dwarves locked up in a room that's constantly being filled with fresh goblins. I have over 150 to give to them and after that is about 50 trolls.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8422 on: November 30, 2010, 12:34:09 pm »

Spoiler: Oh what luck I have (click to show/hide)

Mammoths.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #8423 on: November 30, 2010, 12:42:17 pm »

Mammoths.
Why are all your dwarves masons?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8424 on: November 30, 2010, 12:44:16 pm »

Tried embarking on a Terrifying desert with a volcano.

I figured if I could channel a moat quick enough, get all my crap underground, I could protect myself from the inevitable skeletons and work peacefully enough to forge weapons.

Then the embark finished loading, and there were three Skeletal Camels within sighting distance of the wagon. :|

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8425 on: November 30, 2010, 01:36:52 pm »

Mammoths.
Their peasants, this is Genesis mod and the get ready button has all points used up. I was going to do a Santa challenge but now it's Santa challenge with peasants. Also, mammoths walked away. Maybe they were scared of my two Steel Dwarfs. (2 Steel, 2 Jade, 3 Stone) Was hoping for an obsidian if it came to fighting.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.

vhappylurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8426 on: November 30, 2010, 02:10:34 pm »

Mammoths.
Their peasants, this is Genesis mod and the get ready button has all points used up. I was going to do a Santa challenge but now it's Santa challenge with peasants. Also, mammoths walked away. Maybe they were scared of my two Steel Dwarfs. (2 Steel, 2 Jade, 3 Stone) Was hoping for an obsidian if it came to fighting.

I suggest making up some cages in between the toymaking to get some mammoths for the slay eh, sleigh.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8427 on: November 30, 2010, 02:14:49 pm »

Is it possible to make War Mammoths? Also, food stockpile has been dug out as well as we have breached the first cavern layer.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8428 on: November 30, 2010, 02:19:14 pm »

I had a... issue with my computer and had to reinstall things. Gulfcraft is no more.

Oh well, new world generation! A large map this time, medium everything else. Looking at the history, I'm embarking as part of the pulley of wars. Now this is an industrious and kick-ass civilization. In the first few decades they became enemies with dragons, collosi, cyclops, and both neighboring civs (elves and goblins). Simultaneously we finished several constructions.

We destroyed them, accepted peace, and continued on our merry way. The goblins keep on attacking us then accepting peace again, which proves they are both evil and worthless at war. I think I'm going to start a goblin zoo.

Anyways, I'm starting on the edge of the goblin civilization, in edge of the Jungle of Thundering (and the Royal Dunes). The nearby stream is called Lusterlover the Cruel Laziness, which I think provides a good theme. the default name of my embark is called ordirgoden, the Incinerated ropes, which provides another amazing theme. I see a bright future for the Incinerated Ropes. A few random namse for the fortress to weed through interesting ones... and we're growledtower. Goblin cages in a tower guarded by dogs for the win.
---
Uh oh... one of my dwarves likes elves for their grace. We'll have to rectify that.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

vhappylurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8429 on: November 30, 2010, 03:11:07 pm »

Is it possible to make War Mammoths? Also, food stockpile has been dug out as well as we have breached the first cavern layer.

Go to the save folder, find the region for your fort, then go to the raws and add [TRAINABLE] to mammoths and change [PET_EXOTIC] to just [PET] . Also works well with bears, trolls, troglodytes, and gorlaks.
Pages: 1 ... 560 561 [562] 563 564 ... 3842