Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 559 560 [561] 562 563 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6105983 times)

absynthe7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #8400 on: November 29, 2010, 07:40:09 pm »

I have a ballista set up, 15 cage traps and the Elven caravan just arrived.
Watch this space, and prepare for the application of !!Science!!

My experience has been that siege weapons are painfully inaccurate - however, this probably matters less for a ballista than it does for a catapult.

McDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8401 on: November 29, 2010, 07:55:17 pm »

A farmer went all secretive and claimed a craftsdwarf's shop.
Grabbed mule bones[14], mule bones[14], rough crystal opals, cave spider silk cloth, rope reed fiber cloth, zinc bar, and rope reed fiber cloth.
In the end he made Kurik Kezig, the Thorn of Connecting, a mule bone chain with no decorations worth 1200; I hate the bone artifact bug.

Now, do I use it with my artifact green glass bucket to make an artifact well, chain up an animal somewhere, or use it for the justice system?

Trammelkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8402 on: November 29, 2010, 08:12:06 pm »

The deer, oh god. Caught about 20, tried to pit them from their cages. Bad idea. Now 8 are having a party in the back halls of my fortress slowly picking off my dwarves one by one. Some have even gotten names, theres Miskekim, Onrelatrid, Imsalidok, and my favorite, Idromodad. Hilariously Idromodad translates to "Shortfeast"  :o

vhappylurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8403 on: November 29, 2010, 08:28:01 pm »

The deer, oh god. Caught about 20, tried to pit them from their cages. Bad idea. Now 8 are having a party in the back halls of my fortress slowly picking off my dwarves one by one. Some have even gotten names, theres Miskekim, Onrelatrid, Imsalidok, and my favorite, Idromodad. Hilariously Idromodad translates to "Shortfeast"  :o

Have you tried applying magma to the deer problem?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8404 on: November 29, 2010, 08:49:43 pm »

A leatherworker made an artifact high boot during a siege.  He named it "LeadSells"   I think he's telling me to mod in automatic weaponry.

As a side note did anyone else notice how ridiculously damaging a simple 2 z level fall is?  My entrance bridge is built to encourage dodging into open space into a 2 z-level deep spikepit.  I just now noticed the combat log from one such happening.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That would have probably outright killed him if he wasn't wearing a helmet.  That is one neutralized high threat target right there.  Now if only I felt cheap and decided to just retract that bridge outright while the greenskins were on it.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8405 on: November 29, 2010, 09:25:01 pm »

I decided to embark on an evil swamp with a bandit camp for the lulz.

It was rather amusing watching this big three-way combat between the bandits, my helpless dwarves, and the pack of beak dogs. My llama managed to kick the chieftain in the face and mush his brain, though. :)
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8406 on: November 29, 2010, 09:52:58 pm »

A puppy got into a one on one duel with a troll and was actually winning.  The puppy would always bite and latch on and the troll would keep breaking the puppy's grip or the puppy would dodge the troll's attacks.  The troll finally threw the puppy, (who miraculously landed unharmed, only stunned.)  And the military arrived to finish off the wounded troll.

I have standing orders to butcher all the fortress' current baby animal population.  I actually went through every single puppy in the fortress' description to find that exact puppy and remove the butcher flag on him.  I then found the only puppy in the animals list that wasn't flagged for butchering and put it up for adoption.

I think it's the first time I ever felt sentimental for a critter that hadn't gotten a name.  This puppy earned his right to live and procreate.  I hope whoever ends up being his master gives him a fitting name.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8407 on: November 29, 2010, 10:52:03 pm »

* The Proxian deletes Paddlepasses: Taken by mood.
* The Proxian withdraws from society...
* The Proxian sketches pictures of gathered dwarves...
* The Proxian sketches pictures of a barren landscape...
* The Proxian works furiously!

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8408 on: November 30, 2010, 03:41:30 am »

I was looking through the forums today and found 'Dig Dwarfier', the graphics version of 'Dig Deeper', the mod for 40d. I thought it would be fun to try out a 40d fort, for old times sake. So I downloaded it and decided to start at least one fortress, just to remember what 40d was like. After what just happened I don't think I'm going to be going back to the new version for a while.

I embarked with my seven brave dwarves on a red sand desert with a magma pipe and a terrifying ocean right next to it, hoping for some 'Fun'. I knew that the magma pipe was located toward the western end of my embark site, so I dug down and, lo and behold, there it was. I started to dig out my fort on the z-level above - unfortunately, the magma pipe was on this z-level too, right where my bedrooms were going to go - no big deal, right? Wrong. The second my miner opened up the top of the magma pipe several skeletal/zombie fire imps attacked, throwing fireballs everywhere, burning my three miners and my axeman to a crisp. Although I managed to take down four, two remained - an injured zombie imp and 'Braidedlord', the skeletal imp killer of my team of miners.

I had three dwarves left. I could have abandoned. I could have started again in a more friendly environment. I could have been an elf. Instead, I decided to press on, sure that I would be sieged this summer, sure that the only axe was at the bottom of the magma pipe and sure that there was an aquifer below my feet. Luckily, I was, in fact, wrong about two of those things. Instead of water below my dwarves feet I found rock and lots of it. Instead of a siege this year, I was, in fact, visited by the dwarven caravan and liaison in the autumn. My remaining three dwarves had dug out a nice temporary shelter far, far away from Braidedlord and his magma pipe. Hoping to grab an axe off the traders I let them and the liaison in and immediately destroyed the depot as the liaison talked with my expedition leader (possibly inquiring about the whereabouts of the other four dwarves). Asking for trouble (and a little Fun) I sealed the traders in to watch them go berserk for some entertainment. It was then that I had an ingenious idea - Braidedlord.

The plan was simple - dig a tunnel from the depot out past the magma pipe - as the caravan was leaving, they would kill Braidedlord and it's companion, or die trying. Either way, it was win-win for me. Unfortunately, I had forgotten about one little thing - or rather, one large thing - one large thing that would pave the way for, quite possibly, one of the worst downfalls of any of my forts. The diplomat. Whilst the tunnels were being dug he had cracked and started assaulting the puppies and piglets that roamed my fort. Outraged, I immediately stopped work on the tunnel and sent my three dwarves to kill this bastard before he did too much harm. My dwarves arrived to see the liaison ripping the legs off of a piglet and kicking a puppy in the stomach, quite the grisly scene. They immediately pounced onto the liaison - but, to my horror - were instantly killed, and before I could even react, my fort had perished.

That was the end of Tomefaints. What once could've been the dwarven capital of the entire world is now a pit of insanity and despair, silent bar the incessant babbling of a murderous liaison. Goodbye Tomefaints, we hardly knew ye - and Braidedlord? I salute you.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 03:44:54 am by OmnipotentGrue »

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #8409 on: November 30, 2010, 04:58:54 am »

The fortress of Bookrecluses now has a ghost guarding it's artifact repository, situated at the top of an eight story, blood-red bauxite tower. I had to sacrifice a cheese maker, but at least this ghost doesn't seem to want to leave his place of death. I wasn't making any cheese anyway.

I kinda hit the jackpot with this embark, as I have oodles of bauxite, sand, tons of hematite, bituminous coal and a river. Hoping to fiddle with this one for a few years.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8410 on: November 30, 2010, 06:42:11 am »

Shorast the Mayor, and Legendary Miner, and Legendary Mechanic, survived almost certain death twice in one assault...

Replacing a cage in a trap at the entrance, ambush by goblin archers.  He sprints AWAY from the safety of the fortress.  Keeps trying to sneak past the archers, and I wrote him off as a pincushion.  Still, he managed to bat about a dozen arrows out of the air, and when I raised a bridge to block the southern entrance, he got the idea to go to the north gate....

... where he runs into a dozen axe and sword goblins.  Well, THIS time he's dead, right? Nope, leads them happily in a lap around the small hill out there, through a few weapon traps, and back into my militia that I'd finally got organised at the southern gate.

End result - 8 goblins dead, 4 caged and 2 made it back off the map.  And Shorast is unharmed, and once again banning the export of either bags or anvils...

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8411 on: November 30, 2010, 07:28:29 am »

Shorast the Mayor, and Legendary Miner, and Legendary Mechanic, survived almost certain death twice in one assault...

Replacing a cage in a trap at the entrance, ambush by goblin archers.  He sprints AWAY from the safety of the fortress.  Keeps trying to sneak past the archers, and I wrote him off as a pincushion.  Still, he managed to bat about a dozen arrows out of the air, and when I raised a bridge to block the southern entrance, he got the idea to go to the north gate....

... where he runs into a dozen axe and sword goblins.  Well, THIS time he's dead, right? Nope, leads them happily in a lap around the small hill out there, through a few weapon traps, and back into my militia that I'd finally got organised at the southern gate.

End result - 8 goblins dead, 4 caged and 2 made it back off the map.  And Shorast is unharmed, and once again banning the export of either bags or anvils...
That's kinda awesome in a ridiculous way. Try sending him headfirst into HFS and see what happens!
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8412 on: November 30, 2010, 08:40:37 am »

Two dwarves just died in a cave-in, my strange mood armorsmith made a legendary bronze helmet (menacing with spikes of bronze ...  what?).

And I just got a siege that killed five dwarves outside.

So, your typical fortress.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8413 on: November 30, 2010, 08:43:13 am »

Two dwarves just died in a cave-in, my strange mood armorsmith made a legendary bronze helmet (menacing with spikes of bronze ...  what?).

next time abuse the burrow trick so it can tell the whole history of the fortress  :)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #8414 on: November 30, 2010, 08:53:48 am »

I locked 6 dwarves and let them starve, near the entrance, in order to get defense ghosts (hopefully)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 559 560 [561] 562 563 ... 3842