Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 557 558 [559] 560 561 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6106057 times)

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #8370 on: November 28, 2010, 08:18:14 pm »

started a new fort in 31.18. Realised that not only do the ponds freeze, the lake to the north freezes over. An entire frozen lake. Oh, I need ideas about what to do with a freezing lake... In a biome which has pretty snow in winter. How charming.

channel out an area of ground (make sure to remove the upward ramps at the sides, and put any captured prisoners/thieves/traders inside. Fill it with 3/7 water and wait for winter.

stormyseasons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8371 on: November 28, 2010, 08:32:59 pm »

channel out an area of ground (make sure to remove the upward ramps at the sides, and put any captured prisoners/thieves/traders inside. Fill it with 3/7 water and wait for winter.

..How about I set up a walled zone inside the lake during the winter, and use a bridge to control water flow during the other months? Like an external version of an internal drowning trap. Pesky functionaries and previously caged enemies go inside and get drowned or frozen depending on the month?
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper GOLD - 475+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8372 on: November 28, 2010, 10:48:52 pm »

Lost half the initial summer migrant wave to skeletal elephants. Since it was only two, it's not a big deal, but oddly enough they were both women and the two that ran inside the instant the gate was open were men. I need to get out there and quarantine the wagon still, so i can access the coal and wood left in it. undead mandrills are now stealing the clothing from their corpses. I hate monkeys...

I just received a caravan, but have no depot set up. When I get one I'll hold the gate open long enough to get them inside, and maybe one more time to get rid of them.

autumn, and after migrants arrived i finally got a farming area dug to be irrigated. The dorf operating the pump ended up in the water and drowned, and several others are upset by this. He'll get his tombstone though; he completed his mission to near perfection and irrigated the entire farming area without flooding it too much.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 12:14:02 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8373 on: November 29, 2010, 01:00:17 am »

Windtunnel is strangely good.

A magma pool, at ground level, in a lush biome with ample water pools and rainfall, with gentle slopes, rather than the harsh, near vertical treeless mountains where I usually find volcanoes.

Farms are right next to the magma pipe, first level down, bedrooms second level, industries 6-8 levels down.  Strange migration numbers, but up to 83 residents.  Just breached first caverns, and despite some fun(TM) with trogs, and a cave croc, have survived and walled off large section.  Now working out what to do with it (disappointingly few gems).

4 deaths, all from goblin ambushes - two (ranger and bowyer) outside during ambush, but the bowyer did crawl from the open, goblin-free north entrance to try entering by the trapped southern entrance with a dozen goblin archers loitering.  Not pretty, but I was finally glad when they killed him...  Goblins stayed there until the elven merchants exited there (I walled off the northern entrance).  Lured gobbos into various traps, merchants escaped, horses went mad and eventually I got their stuff.  Other two dead decided to replace forbidden cage traps during major siege.  Painful to watch.

Thought that putting weapon traps in front of cage traps would save having to replace cages so often, but the effect on the local wildlife is startling, and there are 7 partial skeletons, two mutilated corpses, five assorted arms and legs (all left), a left and right hand (from different goblins) and two heads at my front gate.  Classy, along with all the blood and vomit.

Ample goblins, but ineffective ambushes and sieges.  Also have had Fone Ciquaraanara Eruwa Berayi, a dragon, invade, and promptly walk into a copper cage trap.  Strangely disappointing.... Edit - tame hunting dragon!!!

Any suggestions for megaprojects welcomed.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 03:43:10 am by Pukako »

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

deathxherald

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Look! DBZ Dwarves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8374 on: November 29, 2010, 01:16:01 am »

Amazingly ive started a new fort (Ironcages) and the idiot dorfs have managed to pull together into quite the little fighting force.
Im 2 years in and already have 2 legendary Crossbowdorfs, thanks to the near endless waves of buzzards that just love attacking my wood cutters. Hence why i have 2 woodcutters in the hospital resting head injuries.
Im suprised i havent had a bunch of goblins show up yet, ive rarely even had any theifs show their ugly little mugs around. Its just a matter of time though...
Updates to come soon, as Ironcages decides to turn violent/tantrum spiral into nothingness, since we all know its bound to happen.
Dwarf Fortress: Throwing kittens into volcanoes to see what's on the bottom.

Serio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8375 on: November 29, 2010, 05:03:54 am »

After capturing four goblins, I decided to use three of them as practice for my swordsdwarves. That was a very bad idea. One dwarf died, four were wounded, two of them with temporary loss of the ability to stand. Only one dwarf managed to escape the melee unharmed. And if that wasn't enough, due to my lack of preparation one of the dwarves in the infirmary has gotten two infections. But, with some luck, he'll survive and the squad will be back in action in another year. Next time, I think I'll use the goblins to train my marksdwarves instead.

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8376 on: November 29, 2010, 06:04:36 am »

After capturing four goblins, I decided to use three of them as practice for my swordsdwarves. That was a very bad idea. One dwarf died, four were wounded, two of them with temporary loss of the ability to stand. Only one dwarf managed to escape the melee unharmed. And if that wasn't enough, due to my lack of preparation one of the dwarves in the infirmary has gotten two infections. But, with some luck, he'll survive and the squad will be back in action in another year. Next time, I think I'll use the goblins to train my marksdwarves instead.
you should strip them of weapons before the fight^^ built the cage .. then dbc and dbd on em^^

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #8377 on: November 29, 2010, 06:27:03 am »

you should strip them of weapons before the fight^^ built the cage .. then dbc and dbd on em^^

And uh... undump the cage.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8378 on: November 29, 2010, 06:29:02 am »

well thats not needed if you built it before undump only when stripping on the stockpile

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8379 on: November 29, 2010, 06:29:37 am »

The spider immediately proceded to attack the resting hunter, using its webs and injecting him with poison. For seventy nine pages, the spider injected the dwarf with venom and tore some muscles in the head.

Spoiler'd for size
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

He suffered for 6 DAYS!

YOU SIRE, ARE AN ABOMINATION
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Serio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8380 on: November 29, 2010, 06:34:29 am »

well thats not needed if you built it before undump only when stripping on the stockpile
Figured it out. Good timing as well, as I just captured an entire goblin ambush group and a Minotaur.

EDIT: Well, that was that. Speargorged has entered into a tantrum spiral because, for some reason, every single dwarf decided to fetch things I had forbidden from the bridge. During an ambush.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 07:54:12 am by Serio »

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8381 on: November 29, 2010, 09:10:52 am »

Someone died of an infection in the hospital.
SOMEONE DIED OF AN INFECTION.
AND NOT THIRST.
HURRAY!

Also, while migrants keep coming, it's now the 2nd consecutive wave that does so "despite the danger". Things are going right at last!
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

TheJackal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8382 on: November 29, 2010, 09:42:25 am »

Figured it out. Good timing as well, as I just captured an entire goblin ambush group and a Minotaur.

I will repeat for new folks coming into the thread:

The Dump Trick or "What to do with all these cages full of goblins?"

So you've been smart and set up cage traps at your fort entrance when gasp! AN AMBUSH! happens. Next thing you know you have half a dozen fine wooden cages full of spitting green evil. What to do with them? You could toss them into the caverns to explore, or drown them, of deep magma fry them, but why not use them to train your military!

"But Jackal!" you cry, "If my military could fight them without getting their guts skewered I wouldn't have bothered with the traps! The goblins have armor and spears and all my dorfs have are jockstraps and halitosis!"
Have no fear! You can strip those goblin jerks of all their equipment and use it for your own benefit! (After thoroughly Febreezing the funk out of their shorts!)

Its easy.

1. If you haven't already, make a separate Animal Stockpile, preferably right next to or in your barracks. This puts all the cages together which makes the steps below easier.
2. Define a single tile Garbage Dump very close to the stockpile from Step 1.
3. Pause the game.
4. Use your Designate tool to Dump all the cages with goblins in them en masse.
5. Use your Designate tool to Hide all the cages with goblins in them en masse.
6. Go to the Stocks screen and scroll down to Weapons, Armor, Legwear, etc - everything a goblin ambusher might carry. You will see the many listings of Weapons, etc. Look to the right, and you will see a set of codes: FDH. F means Forbidden, D means its set to be Dumped, and H means its Hidden. Remember this!
7. Everything in the stockpile from Steps 4 and 5 will be listed as (H)idden and (D)ump. Confirm this by looking for non-dwarf weapons like scimitars and daggers. Make sure those weapons are set for dumping!
8. Using the Stocks Screen, go to the Cages list and un-Dump all Cages selected for dumping.
9. Optional - un-Dump the goblins armor, so that they live a bit longer. Or not, and have them get killed in the nude.
10. Exit the Stocks screen and Un-Hide the Cage Stockpile.
11. Watch your dorfs strip all the armor, weapons, quivers, etc, from your caged goblins and put them in the Garbage Tile from Step 2.
12. Use the Designate tool to (R)eclaim all the equipment in the Garbage Tile, netting you all the goblin armor and weapons!

For a starter fortress without a strong metal industry this trick is super useful. With only a Carpenter and Mechanic you can net some metal armor and weapons pretty fast, and train your military. Most of everything you get is inferior to what you can make later of course, but their weapons can be put into weapon traps, and armor melted or sold once you're making your own. The exception to this is masks, which A) Dorfs can't make and B) Protect the face, which is awesome.

I hope somebody finds this useful!

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8383 on: November 29, 2010, 10:39:33 am »

I will repeat for new folks coming into the thread:

The Dump Trick or "What to do with all these cages full of goblins?"

So you've been smart and set up cage traps at your fort entrance when gasp! AN AMBUSH! happens. Next thing you know you have half a dozen fine wooden cages full of spitting green evil. What to do with them? You could toss them into the caverns to explore, or drown them, of deep magma fry them, but why not use them to train your military!

"But Jackal!" you cry, "If my military could fight them without getting their guts skewered I wouldn't have bothered with the traps! The goblins have armor and spears and all my dorfs have are jockstraps and halitosis!"
Have no fear! You can strip those goblin jerks of all their equipment and use it for your own benefit! (After thoroughly Febreezing the funk out of their shorts!)

Its easy.

1. If you haven't already, make a separate Animal Stockpile, preferably right next to or in your barracks. This puts all the cages together which makes the steps below easier.
2. Define a single tile Garbage Dump very close to the stockpile from Step 1.
3. Pause the game.
4. Use your Designate tool to Dump all the cages with goblins in them en masse.
5. Use your Designate tool to Hide all the cages with goblins in them en masse.
6. Go to the Stocks screen and scroll down to Weapons, Armor, Legwear, etc - everything a goblin ambusher might carry. You will see the many listings of Weapons, etc. Look to the right, and you will see a set of codes: FDH. F means Forbidden, D means its set to be Dumped, and H means its Hidden. Remember this!
7. Everything in the stockpile from Steps 4 and 5 will be listed as (H)idden and (D)ump. Confirm this by looking for non-dwarf weapons like scimitars and daggers. Make sure those weapons are set for dumping!
8. Using the Stocks Screen, go to the Cages list and un-Dump all Cages selected for dumping.
9. Optional - un-Dump the goblins armor, so that they live a bit longer. Or not, and have them get killed in the nude.
10. Exit the Stocks screen and Un-Hide the Cage Stockpile.
11. Watch your dorfs strip all the armor, weapons, quivers, etc, from your caged goblins and put them in the Garbage Tile from Step 2.
12. Use the Designate tool to (R)eclaim all the equipment in the Garbage Tile, netting you all the goblin armor and weapons!

For a starter fortress without a strong metal industry this trick is super useful. With only a Carpenter and Mechanic you can net some metal armor and weapons pretty fast, and train your military. Most of everything you get is inferior to what you can make later of course, but their weapons can be put into weapon traps, and armor melted or sold once you're making your own. The exception to this is masks, which A) Dorfs can't make and B) Protect the face, which is awesome.

I hope somebody finds this useful!
why hiding :> ??  ..just  reclaim the whole pile to unforbid  the stuff .. mass dump  .. after stripping cages with goblins might go to garbage dump too but are being kept closed so goblins stay inside their cozy cages .. and then massreclaim to get em back to animal stockpile ^^
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 11:26:23 am by schussel »

TheJackal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8384 on: November 29, 2010, 11:20:46 am »

why hiding :>  .. reclaim the whole pile to unforbid  the stuff .. mass dump  .. after stripping cages with goblins might go to garbage dump too but are being kept closed so goblins stay inside their cozy cages .. and then massreclaim to get em back to animal stockpile ^^

To start, its really hard to understand what you're saying here. But I think I pieced it together.

Okay, you use Hide and Dump because that allows you to see what you're stripping - where else do you have scimitars and such set for Dumping and also Hidden? From this, you can selectively strip - if your military is already competent you might want to leave the goblin's armor on so they last longer and yield XP.

Also, mass dumping may or may not strip their armor and weapons. It may just toss them in their cages, still equipped and all. I'm not sure. Better safe then sorry, I say.
Pages: 1 ... 557 558 [559] 560 561 ... 3842