Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 555 556 [557] 558 559 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6106219 times)

Eradacater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #8340 on: November 27, 2010, 05:07:27 pm »

That is kind of funny you mention that because of what we do to bulls on are farm.
Lava trap = Fun
Drowning trap = fun
Fight pit = fun
Orbital magma cannon = more fun than most can handle

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8341 on: November 27, 2010, 05:55:49 pm »

So I finished my gigantic green glass dome at last, after a month's distraction by a military-based ultrafort. The dome is as hemispherical as a dome composed of cubes and ramps can be, if a tile is supposed to be cubical. The mining, designation and construction were hell, but I finally made it with almost no deconstruction at all. I used exactly 7545 green glass blocks.

But I have Linux, and I have no working visualizer at all. I can't view maps on DFMA, and Overseer and Stonesense have never worked on my computer.

So please, would you fellow forum-lurkers kindly post some cool screenshots of my dome in Stonesense and/or Overseer? The effort will be greatly appreciated by me.

I've uploaded my map on DFFD:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=3490

Sorry for double-posting, but I would really like to see the pictures of.... well, my own fort. Thanks in advance. :D

Trammelkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8342 on: November 27, 2010, 06:00:27 pm »

I was genning worlds looking for a suitable place for a mega project, somewhere with a lot of water and a volcano. Third world in I find a volcano in the middle of a freshwater lake and fit in a 4x4 zone. Right now I am overjoyed and embark right away. I find out that everything's frozen. On top of that, the volcano is a level under the top of the lake. I hurry to try to wall the volcano off. I only succeed in getting ~20 of the 130 wall sections up before the lake thawed out. Luckily I made a bridge to the nearest solid land, I only lose one dwarf. Determined to get to the precious magma I begin to tunnel under. About 18 levels below the surface of the lake I strike raw adamantine, I just ignore it for now because I have no use for it. A single level further down I discover the first cavern, which seems to overlap with an aquifer. I seal it off for now and dig out a tunnel that snakes around the cavern still trying for magma. Another 11 levels down I open up what appears to be part of the first cavern, only this time there is a portion of smooth slade populated by skeletal reptile people, skeletal amphibian people, and zombie serpent people. I wall them off as fast as I can. I realize I have no source of food, so I start farming. While I'm doing that my lake starts to disappear. Looking around I find out that a river source is in the north-west corner of the map and that it is a level below the lake. The river is eating my lake.

This is the most exciting fort I've ever had. :D

randompeep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8343 on: November 27, 2010, 06:59:02 pm »

I embarked and had one of those cave-in messages at the beginning. I used Reveal, expecting a deep pit or some such thing.

I found an upright spoiler instead. The sheer amount of zombie and skeletal animal-people scares me (nearly 19 pages of them), and when I saw that clowns were present, I at first feared that the upright spoiler had caved in with it. Thankfully, it wasn't.

As a side note, one of the clown types happens to be Fiends of Fire. Damn close to the eldritch abominations of old, even if this one happens to be a scorpion.

On the plus side, I have sand, limestone, and plentiful trees. (Well, whether you think that's a good thing or not depends on how you play.) I'm even on a mountain biome! Yay for being real dwarves, not elf pansies!

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8344 on: November 27, 2010, 07:10:24 pm »

Hooray for ham-fisted engineering!

So much blood.

[edit] Just came under siege again, this time from two squads of goblins (EVERY SINGLE ONE ON A GIANT BAT) and a bunch of trolls. Oddly, they have professions.

The siege came immediately after the dwarven caravan arrived on the map. The Liaison has just announced - in the middle of the siege, with body parts flying everywhere and everything in total chaos - that we are to become a barony.

¯\o_O/¯
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 07:25:46 pm by Loyal »

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #8345 on: November 27, 2010, 07:31:34 pm »

[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8346 on: November 27, 2010, 07:37:54 pm »

My fort is currently nearing the end of a tantrum spiral at freaking last. How did I end it? With the penalty of being beat by a legendary miner (who's quite good at not tantruming) and his pick if they do something bad enough. As you can imagine, that usually results in death or at the very least serious wounds. Harsh, I know, but the dwarves pissed me so much that I decided enough's enough. Good dwarves get to live. Bad dwarves get permanently wounded for life, if they're lucky.

The only problem now is that the dead count is rising sharply. quite a few of my 3x3 smoothed grave rooms now have three graves in them instead of one. Oh well, no matter, the fort will go on. Only this time with dwarves that actually listen to me instead of tantruming and destroying stuff.

Edit: Okay, I was wrong, it's not the end, the tantrum spiral is still going. Time to get pickaxing.

Edit2: HAHAHAHAHAAAAH! I had a fell dwarf murder another dwarf, go into a mason's workshop, and make a BONE BIN named "The Torturous Sap" out of him. That is awesome.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 08:15:09 pm by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Wiro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8347 on: November 27, 2010, 08:38:38 pm »

Troll siege engineer.

Holy shit.

Speaking of trolls, I forgot to lock the door when I unleashed one of mine. He went after one of the dogs. Guess that's what got the other 50+ dogs to jump at the troll and shake his head for about 2 minutes until he died.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8348 on: November 27, 2010, 08:40:06 pm »

Troll siege engineer.

Holy shit.

Speaking of trolls, I forgot to lock the door when I unleashed one of mine. He went after one of the dogs. Guess that's what got the other 50+ dogs to jump at the troll and shake his head for about 2 minutes until he died.
The troll would have smashed the door anyway.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Wiro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8349 on: November 27, 2010, 08:45:30 pm »

Troll siege engineer.

Holy shit.

The troll would have smashed the door anyway.

It was a bridge functioning as a door.  :P

edit: lol, the human liason got hit during a siege and then he magically disappeared (aka he left unhappy or something like that). There was no way out of the fortress and his merchants are still there o; Edit2: Or perhaps he's the mysterious animal trainer (insane) who is walking around my fortress... . _.

edit3: he's now leaving with the merchants...until he was knocked unconscious by mysterious forces while walking. It looks similar to what happens when you fall down two levels or so.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 08:54:43 pm by Wiro »

wisemanofhyrule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8350 on: November 27, 2010, 08:47:36 pm »

Well, I accidentally breached the caverns for my first time. Any tips?

Wiro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8351 on: November 27, 2010, 08:57:50 pm »

HAHAHAHA the merchants are throwing tantrums (and killing eachother) now!

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8352 on: November 27, 2010, 09:00:47 pm »

Set up weapon and cage traps to prevent wildlife, set up a bridge airlock, and hope a forgotten beast made of water doesn't decide to eat up your dwarves.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

wisemanofhyrule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8353 on: November 27, 2010, 09:08:03 pm »

Set up weapon and cage traps to prevent wildlife, set up a bridge airlock, and hope a forgotten beast made of water doesn't decide to eat up your dwarves.

That sounds like Fun!

Edit: Got bored and attacked the elven merchants.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 10:07:28 pm by wisemanofhyrule »

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8354 on: November 28, 2010, 03:02:37 am »

Frozenanvil: Wrath of the Toad

Thought it'd be fun to embark on a terrifying glacier and to make my home in the caverns. This fort has definitely provided Fun right from embark. First thing my unfortunate dwarves were set upon by ice wolves. After drafting and giving armor to my warrior I assign him two war dogs, as I lack faith in my young hammer dwarf. The first wave kills off my war dogs but the hammer dwarf makes it out ok. After the third pack of ice wolves comes a blizzard man. I assign my hammer dwarf two war tigers and send them all in. Now locked in a furious battle I look away to find out why my miners haven't found a cavern yet.  Turns out I found the one spot on the entire map that lets me dig straight down to the magma sea -_-.  While I frantically search for the life giving caverns. My hammer dwarf and tigers are now locked in an eternal battle with a now immortal blizzard man.

Seeing my hammer dwarf was thirsty,hungry and unhappy I tell him to give up. He heads back to the wagon takes a sip of beer then goes stark raving mad. Finally I find the caverns and quickly set up a farm, its summer now and Im running dangerously low on booze (thanks to the wolves I have plenty of meat at least).  Almost immediately I'm sieged  by a giant toad. For the most part she just runs up to my little plateau spooks the dwarves then runs down. Then one of my miners had the miss fortune of getting caught in a web. I franticly assign my woodcutter to the military and tell him to kill. At that moment the entire expedition decides to take a nap. The giant toad runs up and  gives the miner a scratch on the leg be fore running off. The next victim is my babbling hammer dwarf who receives a scratch on the arm. As a final F-U Lurchstutter kills my final miner who was only trying to remove the ramps leading up to the plateau. As it stands now my sole surviving miner is going to die of thirst because my woodcutter/carpenter/temp militia leader has promptly woken up and gone on break, rather than build the carpenters shop and make a bucket.

The first migrant wave hasnt even arrived yet and Im already down 3 possibly 4 dwarves.
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.
Pages: 1 ... 555 556 [557] 558 559 ... 3842