Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 553 554 [555] 556 557 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6106335 times)

kawaiidesunekochan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #8310 on: November 26, 2010, 09:55:06 pm »

I just returned from a while of not playing DF (Minecraft), even though I never played it much. When winter came on my first fortress, I did not have a water supply, and all but 1 of my dwarfs died due to thirst. The Expedition Leader was the only one to survive, and I have her building a well as I type this. 'TouchedCanyons" Will live on!

EDIT: Yay, some migrants arrived bringing my population from 1 to 25.
you should make some booze. They don't die of thirst if you keep brewing alcohol for them to drink.

wisemanofhyrule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8311 on: November 26, 2010, 10:00:16 pm »

I just returned from a while of not playing DF (Minecraft), even though I never played it much. When winter came on my first fortress, I did not have a water supply, and all but 1 of my dwarfs died due to thirst. The Expedition Leader was the only one to survive, and I have her building a well as I type this. 'TouchedCanyons" Will live on!

EDIT: Yay, some migrants arrived bringing my population from 1 to 25.
you should make some booze. They don't die of thirst if you keep brewing alcohol for them to drink.

Thanks, OFF TO THE STILLS

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8312 on: November 26, 2010, 10:00:51 pm »

You could have also dug a channel into the ceiling directly over an underground water source (just keep going down) and built a well on the channeled tile. Then you'd have water year-round as long as it's not exposed to the surface.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

wisemanofhyrule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8313 on: November 26, 2010, 10:27:52 pm »

Weird, I have plenty of plump helmets yet I cant seem to brew anything.

NVM Its working now.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 10:56:06 pm by wisemanofhyrule »

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8314 on: November 26, 2010, 10:30:11 pm »

I have skeletal carp, and long nose gar.

Being on a coastal lake island... is not so much fun anymore.
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

kawaiidesunekochan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8315 on: November 26, 2010, 10:56:52 pm »

Weird, I have plenty of plump helmets yet I cant seem to brew anything.
do you have any empty barrels to put the alcohol in? The game should tell you why you can't brew: it should say
dwarf cancels brew drinks: insert reason here". If it doesn't, make sure one of your nonbusy tdwarves has the brewing labor turned on.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 11:02:55 pm by kawaiidesunekochan »

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8316 on: November 27, 2010, 12:13:58 am »

Shortly after the human caravan visits Gulfcraft, a demonic diplomat comes.

Wait, a what?!

Osime, law-giver
A great one-eyed gila monster twisted into humanoid form. It spouts gibberish periodically. Its silver scales are round and overlapping. Beware its poisonous bite!

I have a feeling he represents the humans.

Update: Nothing epic... other than the fact that I just had a meeting with a very well dressed demon.
"We have much to discuss"
"It's such a pleasant place you've carved out for yourselves..."
"It had been an honor, noble 'Urist' Udillatur. I bid you forewell."

I look forward to the ominous world in which this is allowed to happen.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 12:26:09 am by malimbar04 »
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8317 on: November 27, 2010, 12:28:32 am »

I'm probably better off playing drunk, stoned, and with both index fingers missing.

I just opened the volcano's magma vent over the underground lake. Not sure why I did this, I've accomplished nothing more than destroying my only currently-available water source and doomed myself in multiple other ways. Like the part about not having very many magma-safe stones. I got lucky and actually chose a door that is magma safe to block off the hole I dug, but I should probably just abandon.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Saetar33

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8318 on: November 27, 2010, 12:30:11 am »

I have a dwarf who runs my metal industry all by himself- legendary maxed out stats in all categories of metalwork.
He's also runs the lever system.  Handy to have a dwarf that does nothing but smith and pull levers.  I chute food and stuff to him.
"Dug too deep...What the creep! What the hell is that?? Oh WHY'S IT COMING STRAIGHT AT US! Oh Urist IT'S THAT CAT . . " Magma bells outtake.    "Again, THIS HAS BEEN AGREED BETWEEN 2 RPers! EILWOOD DO NOT FIRE YOUR LAZER I REPEAT DO NOT FIRE YOUR LAZOR!"  I'm Eilwood.  :3  Nice to meet you too.  "BAAAAAAH"

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8319 on: November 27, 2010, 12:40:01 am »

Ambush showed up, a Swordsgob and a bunch of Axegobs. The one who revealed them was a Legendary Miner. He wisely ran, the Gobs followed, and my Military was sent after them post-haste.

I swear I could hear "Yakety Sax" playing in my head as the Miner ran circles around the mountain, the entrance to the fort, and most of the forests before my military could catch up.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8320 on: November 27, 2010, 01:10:25 am »

I suppose I should my mistake some form of mixed blessing from higher powers or something. It simultaneously satisfies my need for defense and for a place to set up my magma forges. (I'm simply not going to build them outdoors at the top of the volcano.) Unfortunately one of my miners burned to death in the magma as I foolishly tried to wall the area off from the wrong angle, taking his pick with him. The flow stopped since the area it's in was mostly enclosed anyway, the only exceptions being the water that was obsidianized and an upward slope to the south, which the magma won't flow up.

Aside from this markedly confusing predicament, my hunter has managed to fell three beasts in only 14 days, overflowing my butcher's shop and food stockpile. I don't even have enough barrels. And here I was thinking he would die horribly and leave the fortress to starve! He's become a professional bowman/archer and skilled ambusher. My only hope to prevent a miasma-spiral is that he fails to kill another animal with his 9 bone arrows and goes home. Since kobolds have no nobles and thus no military I can't just station him somewhere to force him to stop hunting. I've also noticed that my map is literally covered in spider webs. I suppose this will be useful in detecting ambushes if I actually watch out for them.

Dear god, he managed to kill one in four shots!
I make Spellcrafts!

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8321 on: November 27, 2010, 01:26:20 am »

Dreamnets was one of the most brutal fortresses I ever ran.  Right of the bat, I had to fight off werewolves, and I had no water to make my health system work.  This meant a lot of dead soldiers, a lot of workers getting drafted, and a lot of work not getting done.  Early on, the miners kept getting encased in ice or killed in cave-ins, so their picks were lost, and everyone had to stand around in the tiny little area I had carved out.  They all became best friends - you all know how that tends to work out.

The miners started tantruming, leading to a pretty bloody tantrum spiral.  At the end, all I had left was my bedridden expedition leader and tantruming militia commander.  I waited around for them to die, but migrants showed up, so I abandoned, since I didn't feel like dealing with them.

I'll reclaim before too long.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8322 on: November 27, 2010, 03:00:56 am »

A stonecrafter arrived at Paddlepasses in the late spring of 252. After barely scraping buys from the elves and our own dwarven fellows on the skill of our mechanic (also busy with the floodgates to irrigate our fields, the cage traps to fill our herds and protect the fort) and our clothier gem cutter alone, suddenly there are stone crafts enough to buy out the human caravans. Huzzah!

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8323 on: November 27, 2010, 04:36:29 am »

some sieges just meeting each other outside ..seems fortress defense mod civs hate goblins very much

present armies were double frogmen siege, double strangler siege and goblin siege .. my fort to the left is totally unharmed und sealed off except for frogmen ^^

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

the goblins had half their army drowned near the bridge after dodging a massive 30 men assault of the stranglers that after a quick clash and the first siege getting massacred  just ran off .. the frogs well .. they were not so lucky :)

the goblin forces are now even to be dealt with on open field being reduced from 8 bowmen to 1 :)

few weeks later another clash of frogs and goblins at my doorstep .. this time massive archers-army on giant toads on goblin side ... the game flaws itself at this point ... as toads don't use bridges the whole corps crossed the river  and almost all goblinriders drowned ..  below picture has around 20 goblins clustered in few tiles space ... poor greenskins

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 06:12:38 am by schussel »

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8324 on: November 27, 2010, 07:27:57 am »

So I finished my gigantic green glass dome at last, after a month's distraction by a military-based ultrafort. The dome is as hemispherical as a dome composed of cubes and ramps can be, if a tile is supposed to be cubical. The mining, designation and construction were hell, but I finally made it with almost no deconstruction at all. I used exactly 7545 green glass blocks.

But I have Linux, and I have no working visualizer at all. I can't view maps on DFMA, and Overseer and Stonesense have never worked on my computer.

So please, would you fellow forum-lurkers kindly post some cool screenshots of my dome in Stonesense and/or Overseer? The effort will be greatly appreciated by me.

I've uploaded my map on DFFD:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=3490
Pages: 1 ... 553 554 [555] 556 557 ... 3842