Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 552 553 [554] 555 556 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6106406 times)

Herbiie

• Bay Watcher
  • Loyal Unto Death
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #8295 on: November 26, 2010, 09:33:52 am »

Urist McBroker: We'll also take some of those seeds, and in exchange, a nice serrated glass disc. A profit of almost 600 dorfbucks for you!

Human McJerkMerchant: We want the aluminum amulet too.

Urist McBroker: For a profit of 3200 dorfbucks? For some rock lobster and seeds?

Human McJerkmerchant: Thats right.

Urist McBroker: Fine, take it, I'll take the disc back and I'll also take that shield, and those barrels. Your final profit, 800 dorfbucks.

Human McJerkmerchant: I want the aluminum figure too. For a 5000 dorfbucks profit.

Urist McBroker: We've traded on thinner margins. I've been giving you between 500-800 profit per trade here. Why be so greedy?

Human McJerkmechant: FU. I tire of these childish games.  >:(

The Merchants are departing!

Urist McLeverpuller: Like hell they are. LEVERPULL!

Some time later......

Urist McHauler: Those babbling insane merchants give me the creeps.

Thorist McOtherhauler: Just shut up and strip all the trade goods off this dead horse.

Urist McHauler: I wish they'd stop trying to eat the depot.  :'(

Made me Lol :D
The once dark-grey walls are now the dark brown of stained blood. At either side of the path leading to the great granite gates is covered with the corpses and skeletons of Goblin invaders.
Some are still fresh. One is still moving.
As you approach the gate a nervous guard looses a bolt in your direction. Silence... Slowly, gradually, the huge doors screech open. Inside there is a courtyard, the floor wet with blood. Welcome to the front-line. Welcome; to Cloisteredwood.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8296 on: November 26, 2010, 10:42:52 am »

Jackal, you can force them to sell for a profit of less than 50 most of the time, just don't bring any real valuable stuff until you legitimately need it for what you're wanting to buy.

Anyway, my outpost has been suffering from a horrible bout of lag due to a gem crab crawling her way out of the magma vent.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Not sure why it didn't cause the ice beneath it to melt until it got to the bottom of that curve... It became fairly spectacular though, and I was hoping she'd end up trapped in there so I could capture her later. If their flesh wasn't composed entirely of diamonds, they'd make great livestock.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8297 on: November 26, 2010, 11:29:20 am »

After lighting a forest fire, I salvage the caravan and melt all metal items.
Spoiler: Picture (click to show/hide)
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8298 on: November 26, 2010, 11:50:39 am »

Just lost 4 skilled civvies to bug induced player error.

Had a goblin ambush, but they brought human leaders so naturally it bugged out and the ambush broke itself.

But 2 of the squads after killing their leaders decided to just hang out around the corpse, not leave the map, not attack the fortress.  I did not notice.

I wipe out the few goblins that had decided to attack and order the cleanup.  My residents do so and I go about my business.   And after a time suddenly soundsense starts outputting combat noises.  I check the logs and there's fighting!  Civilians fighting!  I zoom to the site and sure enough there is an entire squad of goblins attacking a group of civilians that had gone to collect the humie corpse.  They are slaughtered.  I order all the civilians back into the fortress but I'm still getting combat logs, another goblin squad had done the same thing, and was also slaughtering fleeing civilians.

4 dead so far.  Quadrupling my fortress' civilian deaths tally. And fully half of the fortress' total deaths.  Likely to be more before my military can arrive at the fighting. 

I guess after the goblin ambushes I have to manually send my military out to clean up the bugged gobbos now.   Hope that bug gets fixed soon.  Unlikely though since the next arc is already in progress I guess.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8299 on: November 26, 2010, 11:55:08 am »

Assigned a dwarf to the Captain of the Guard position. Forgot that one dwarf had already committed a crime in a tantrum, and had a Beating + 26 days of jail to account for. Literally three seconds after unpausing, the poor sap got beaten to death in the barracks, leaving most of my military and several babies with an unhappy thought.  :-\

Also, found this on top of an under-construction archer tower, 3z-levels above ground.

Somehow I'd have been less perplexed if it had landed INSIDE the tower.

Supersquee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8300 on: November 26, 2010, 11:57:11 am »

Well I have embarked at a new location, got a spring and a volcanoe and some decent forests.

Oh and a dragon infested cave.

At first it was just Trogs, no big deal. They just chased my dorfs and punched them occasionally. Then a troll ripped a dog apart, I started contemplating putting a wall over the cave mouth. And then I get my first death, my expedition leader and miner was getting his exercise at Trog kiting when suddenly he stops and lodges his pick in it's brain. All well and good, except he then dodged out of the way of some imaginary death spasm and drowned in a pond...

-_- Grumpy face activated.

Well bollocks I think, but no biggie. I can  make this work, farms almost ready, got a lot of my rooms carved out, just gonna take longer to get my stockpiles running. And then I get a report that chilled my blood.

"The Stray kitten is fighting the Dragon"

THe cave has been walled off now, but I don't know whether it managed to escape, we shall see. The Lava moat has been given top priority.
Rage face has been activated.
The problem with finding badassery in DF, is that the standard is so damn high.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8301 on: November 26, 2010, 12:19:14 pm »

Thank [non-existent kobold god] for the hunter!

As I'm running a true kobold cave, I can't just give my kobolds plant goods as food, they have to have fish and meat, neither of which I can get easily, because I'm at war with everyone from the start, have no nobles or military for trading and killing, and I'm in a tundra/glacier with caverns devoid of all fish. In retrospect, this was a horrible idea for an embark.  :-\

On top of this I probably won't get any more migrants.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

absynthe7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8302 on: November 26, 2010, 02:55:59 pm »

"The Soldier bashes The Forgotten Beast in the lower body with her silver war hammer, and the severed part sails off in an arc!"

Wait, what?

But... blunt weapons don't... you can't... I... what?

strongrudder

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #8303 on: November 26, 2010, 02:58:51 pm »

Another goblin ambush showed up, this time with human leaders.  The 2 squads imediately became visible when they entered the map, which seemed odd.

Then the human leaders for the goblins STARTED ATTACKING THEIR MINIONS.  And apperantly started a loyalty cascade among the goblins.

Oookayyy....  It seems nobody likes the goblins, not even their own leaders.

Huh, so this abductee aggro bug isn't just my game. I thought I triggered it on my world because I played an adventurer before embarking, but if the goblin loyalty cascade bug isn't linked to adventure mode...

I wouldn't throw that thought out.  I also adventured in that world before embarking.

I can confirm this happened in a virgin (to adventuring anyway) world. Ambushes keep getting announced as soon as they appear on the map, since the humans rat the ambush out. And then the only thing you have to do is get the popcorn for the ensuing loyalty cascade...
The flying ☼Earworm☼ strikes strongrudder in the brain!
The ☼Earworm☼ has lodged firmly in the wound!
strongrudder gives in to music.

TheJackal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8304 on: November 26, 2010, 04:16:33 pm »

Jackal, you can force them to sell for a profit of less than 50 most of the time, just don't bring any real valuable stuff until you legitimately need it for what you're wanting to buy.

I'm not sure how I'd sort that out. The expensive stuff is in the same bin as the [random stone] [insert useless craft object name here] and they both get carried at the same time to the depot.

Update! After months of chewing noisily and creepily on my granite depot, the crazed human merchant and crew were put out of their misery by a kobold thief with an aluminum* dagger! About darn time too, as their slack-jacked mumbling and self-soiling was ruining the atmosphere of my filthy entrance hovel, and screwing up the arrangement of skeletal warthog remains. My war muskoxen worked hard kicking those undead to pieces just so!

*Reduce, reuse, recycle! The power is YOURS!

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8305 on: November 26, 2010, 04:55:35 pm »

Part 10 of my LP is up.

And here I was thinking my inability to catch a demikraken was my biggest problem at the moment.

I honestly did not expect Dishmab to get killed by a cave kraken. They didn't give me any problem back in Townbrush. Yet the very second they showed up in Reveredtour one of them decided to kill a dwarf.

This actually represents a serious problem. Dishmab was the only skilled farmer in Reveredtour, and with food stocks dwindling we need a good farmer more than ever. When the caravan comes I'm going to have to buy as much food as I can from it. I don't expect the next few months to be easy. especially if booze stocks begin to fall. At least my military seems to be strong enough. I just need to pay more attention to where the wild animals decide to roam.

EDIT: OH FUCK WE ARE RUNNING LOW ON BOOZE. I misread that 20 as a 70 right up until now

« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 04:58:34 pm by Internet Kraken »
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8306 on: November 26, 2010, 06:41:29 pm »

Early Summer of 504 in the Town of Ringquest, pop. 120  fps 27(19)

First squad is entirely outfitted in steel, and able to repel the advances of goblin ambushers. But it took all our steel to do it. So I've begun strip mining the promising levels in a quest for limonite, or any other iron-bearing ore. I want to set up a second squad which will be dedicated to patrolling the caverns -- which we'll breach when they are ready.

With the strip mining going, housing for immigrants is falling behind. I'll have to recruit a larger team of miners to cover both projects. Also, the dedicated dozen of engravers have been working non-stop, smoothing the fortress rooms, and they'll be getting some extra hands to help with all that work.

Due to the interim Mayor's demands for lay pewter, he was relieved of his responsibilities and the original mayer was re-instated. It's not democratic, but we need a mayor we can abide by.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 08:25:03 pm by AngleWyrm »

buckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8307 on: November 26, 2010, 06:43:02 pm »

My current fortress is interesting.

It it situated in the caverns, so there's crundles and crap all over the place. Even inside the fortress. To get to the magma forges dwarves have to run from one side of the caverns to the other, the furnaces themselves are setup incorectly so that any beasts that dwell within the magma can easily wander into the forge whenever they want.

The fortress itself is a mess, rooms are scattered halfhazardly all over the place, it looks terrible. There's 40 odd dwarves but only one bed, I think one of the injured ones is lying in it at the moment, theres no buckets or hospital. Dead dwarves, trolls, and crundles carpet the dining room, well in all honesty there's dead dwarves carpeting the everywhere.

On the surface there is a mountain of corpses, a GCS rests in the center of them.

It's the most halfarsed and poorly planed fortress I have ever played, it's also the most fun.

wisemanofhyrule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8308 on: November 26, 2010, 09:05:35 pm »

I just returned from a while of not playing DF (Minecraft), even though I never played it much. When winter came on my first fortress, I did not have a water supply, and all but 1 of my dwarfs died due to thirst. The Expedition Leader was the only one to survive, and I have her building a well as I type this. 'TouchedCanyons" Will live on!

EDIT: Yay, some migrants arrived bringing my population from 1 to 25.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 09:25:21 pm by wisemanofhyrule »

kawaiidesunekochan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8309 on: November 26, 2010, 09:54:03 pm »

I'm drowning everyone who comes to my fort. Migrants, caravans, goblins, they all fall in my trap. I love this game.
Pages: 1 ... 552 553 [554] 555 556 ... 3842