Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 548 549 [550] 551 552 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6106628 times)

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #8235 on: November 24, 2010, 08:20:23 am »

An ambush occured behind my walls. About five dwarves died before my squads could reach them, another couple died when they fled out of the gate. Now I'm just waiting for the tantrum spiral to occur.

EDIT: Doesn't look like I'll have to wait. The goblin army just returned to finish off the rest of the fortress. It wouldn't have been a problem, if the dwarves didn't prioritise gathering logs over pulling the blasted lever!

Update: Olin Itonezum, a proud gem cutter of Doomringed, has sealed himself inside the dormitories. He had only one friend, no other relationships. The population has dropped from 57 to 12, and this is how his information looks:

I'm going to wait a while with abandoning this fort. Just to see how long he survives.

Until his only ghostly friend kills him...
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8236 on: November 24, 2010, 09:59:50 am »

My dwarves are spiteful little buggers. Every Possessed mood comes only to the dwarves I can't afford to kill, and produces artifacts worth tens of thousands of ¤. Every Fey or Secretive mood goes to the guys with no Moodable skills and produces artifacts that couldn't buy out a single caravan even if they were sellable.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8237 on: November 24, 2010, 10:20:08 am »

I've dug out a nice little area beside a volcano. Gold and obsidian.
Yay!
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Serio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8238 on: November 24, 2010, 10:28:33 am »

An ambush occured behind my walls. About five dwarves died before my squads could reach them, another couple died when they fled out of the gate. Now I'm just waiting for the tantrum spiral to occur.

EDIT: Doesn't look like I'll have to wait. The goblin army just returned to finish off the rest of the fortress. It wouldn't have been a problem, if the dwarves didn't prioritise gathering logs over pulling the blasted lever!

Update: Olin Itonezum, a proud gem cutter of Doomringed, has sealed himself inside the dormitories. He had only one friend, no other relationships. The population has dropped from 57 to 12, and this is how his information looks:

I'm going to wait a while with abandoning this fort. Just to see how long he survives.

Until his only ghostly friend kills him...
He didn't survive that long. He went insane after he finished engraving the floor of the dormitories. I imagine he hacked away at the floor, carving several dozen "HELP!" messages into it.

absynthe7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8239 on: November 24, 2010, 11:05:41 am »

Water moves surprisingly slowly.

My epic waterfall entryway to the grand dining hall may need a bit of a redesign.  :-\

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8240 on: November 24, 2010, 11:07:53 am »

Yes! I did it!

On my 1x1 embark, I managed to get my fort completely underground without leaving a single trace on the world's surface (no Photoshop)!
I did not touch any single tile on the surface, yet I made it.

Can you find out what I did and how I did it?

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #8241 on: November 24, 2010, 11:10:45 am »

wood pumps and a hatch? does the hatch flash underwater?

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8242 on: November 24, 2010, 11:11:51 am »

Painful siege at Windslap. Lost a few of my best warriors... by "best", I actually mean "less undertrained than the others". And, of course, several civilians and rookies (though no patient died of thirst this time, to my great surprise).
Blood everywhere. I'm surprised nobody is unhappy... actually not, the problem solved itself when the guy who had his marksdwarf wife be killed by a goblin lasher was latter murdered in duty by the same gobbo. Note to self: make much bigger barracks so the idiots would stop falling in love with each other. That kind of crap will be my downfall, I swear.
They also keep cancelling the building of walls and pumps and important stuff that should help them get water in the safety of their fortress at last.
The doctors, once again, don't seem to pay attention to the injured.
At least, two goblins fell into a quasi-dry pocket of water and can't get out. One of them is an elite crossbowman without ammunition left. They seem to scare a bit my citizens, but I'm taking enough pleasure making them pay for the siege by having my own hunters shoot them... slowly... and they have excellent timing, as they themselves run out of bolts long enough for the war prisoners to heal. They're gonna turn into porcupines. Or they're gonna drown next time it rains. Whichever comes first. I'm fine either way.
I hope the next Forgotten Beast that comes will do so in a while, and will be made out of steam like the previous one.

... oh, yeah, only one goblin fell into my cunning spike pit trap, and he's still alive, somehow. He stopped bleeding and is now walking around. I wonder what fun stuff I can throw in there with him.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8243 on: November 24, 2010, 11:12:08 am »

Yes! I did it!

On my 1x1 embark, I managed to get my fort completely underground without leaving a single trace on the world's surface (no Photoshop)!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What's with the remains on the surface? All those 2s?
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8244 on: November 24, 2010, 11:23:07 am »

Yes! I did it!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Obvious enough. You let the water freeze, channeled down, then built a wall under the hole to seal it. When the ice melted, it filled back up with rain.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8245 on: November 24, 2010, 11:31:31 am »

Sorry, I should go to further detail.

I have embarked in a warm region, so the freezing variant is not available. Also, nothing at all flashes in the lakes.

The remains are non-permanent, so I guess they don't count.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 11:33:28 am by MagmaMcFry »

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8246 on: November 24, 2010, 11:42:12 am »

I realized too late that freezing water nullifies the awesome power of a moat. Fortunately the second half of the moat does not connect, meaning it's really more of a pit with corners of cage traps. Next winter I'll carve out the moat and remove ramps, and hopefully it'll be more effective.

My first real injury in Gulfcraft also happened recently. Apparently my animal trainer got into a fight with a one humped camel while moving it's cage. She was saved by a stray war dog, and now has three of them assigned to her at all times.

I also have my first buildable legendary artifact, a iron sarcophagus. "Pleatedstyle", decorated with rope reed fiber (the elves had a sale), spikes of giant cave spider silk, and an image of clouds in iron.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8247 on: November 24, 2010, 11:52:54 am »

I have embarked in a warm region, so the freezing variant is not available. Also, nothing at all flashes in the lakes.

Oooo, tricky. Was water refilled via rain?

If so, I would probably dig a spot 2 tiles from a lake (the long part of the second lake), stairs down to the fort. Then I would build a hatch (put on the level fo the lake), removing the stairs to the surface. Then it's a matter of digging the remaining tile to the lake. That little water desturbance would be filled on the next rainfall.

Otherwise... OMG! a pump from one part of the lake to the other? no wait... that wouldn't work...
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8248 on: November 24, 2010, 12:09:41 pm »

Oooo, tricky. Was water refilled via rain?

If so, I would probably dig a spot 2 tiles from a lake (the long part of the second lake), stairs down to the fort. Then I would build a hatch (put on the level fo the lake), removing the stairs to the surface. Then it's a matter of digging the remaining tile to the lake. That little water desturbance would be filled on the next rainfall.

Otherwise... OMG! a pump from one part of the lake to the other? no wait... that wouldn't work...

I said I did not touch the surface. So I could not have extended the pool. The long part of the southern pool is natural.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8249 on: November 24, 2010, 12:20:38 pm »

Then the only possible method I see is draining the lake with a pump, channelling down, then sealing from below with a wall.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 548 549 [550] 551 552 ... 3842