Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 544 545 [546] 547 548 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6106602 times)

Serio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #8175 on: November 22, 2010, 03:44:21 pm »

One of my speardwarves went insane during a fight with a dwarven outpost liaison(who had gotten stuck behind my walls). After killing the liaison, he proceeded to charge at the nearest friendly unit, a hammerdwarf, and batter away with his bronze crossbow until he begged for mercy. Then my Sergeant joined in and began battering away mercilessly at my speardwarf, who soon ended up joining the liaison in death.

Megaman3321

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm everywhere but this Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8176 on: November 22, 2010, 03:54:33 pm »

So, I just had the elven caravan arrive, and I tried to sell my bc cage. Big mistake. What happened, was they brought the cage and NOT the bc, so they released him. Not too bad, I had a friendless dorf die, that's about it. It took so long to kill it that my dorfs started getting depressed, and it happened at the worst time: Ambush! Sulking vermin! about 5, 6 bowbold appeared, a recruit managed to get stunned from pain from a broken rib and got safely stuck in my cage trap. He's alive, and lover to my bst mechanic! Cue my legendary blacksmith getting chased around. He lived. I forbid the door to outside, but forgot one thing: I HAD ANOTHER DOOR LEADING TO THE ARCHERY POST!!!!! This wouldn't have been a problem, had the walls been finished. So, they started filing in from that door. Luckily, at that moment the bc died, and my army smote them, but not after a macedorf took a broken arm and fainted. He lived. Unfortunately, though, no elves were killed. Maybe I should kill them and say the 'bolds did it >:D
Glacial on dwarves being assigned socks:
You see, here's how I think this works:
Overseer: Welcome to the military! You need to wear socks! Dorf: Oh, I should get military socks. My socks are civilian socks. Dorf discards socks Dorf: You know, I need a whole lot of gear now. I should get socks... last. Oh, but these steel boots with the white goo on them are nice!
I know you can pick up water, then throw said water, while underwater, to kill a fish -He_Silent_H

atomicthumbs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8177 on: November 22, 2010, 04:16:55 pm »

Irongifted, though executing a large-scale adamantine mining operation, still has trouble finding iron.

Also my mayor got pissed that I hadn't built him a room yet and that he had to meet with a liason in the dormitory and broke my furnace operator's nose, rib, and lung.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8178 on: November 22, 2010, 04:33:41 pm »

Fortress too successful
Too many migrants, every season
Not even Masters or anything, just Novice or Adept at a couple skill and a bonus social skill
So many useless dorfs
So hard to remember who was supposed to be useful in this goddamned fort
So many disposable liveslh(vzgzy

[Musashi cancels Type Post : going berserk]

EDIT: ONE OF THEM IS AN ADEQUATE STUDENT.
NOTHING MORE.
*throws a tantrum*
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 04:38:07 pm by Musashi »
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #8179 on: November 22, 2010, 04:38:53 pm »

EDIT: ONE OF THEM IS AN ADEQUATE STUDENT.
NOTHING MORE.
*throws a tantrum*

This is surprisingly realistic.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Ancre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8180 on: November 22, 2010, 04:54:58 pm »

We've just started building the fortress. It looks more like a rat hole filled with workshops at the moment, with wood constructions since we have no stone, and nobody lives well in it. But everyone likes working outdoors so everyone remains happy.

ELF!

Bwahaha you know, I think this is going to be the very first fort where I start a war with the elves ! Usually I just sell them bucketloads of rock mugs and tell "whatever you want, I dig coal" at their liaison defending my trees ... but not now. I am seriously deforestating my map. I need three logs for one clear crystal object ! I guess that's what makes my dwarfs happy about working outdoors.

Boldwyn

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8181 on: November 22, 2010, 05:03:11 pm »

I dunno, I was introduced through ASCII and it took a little while, but I eventually caught on. Now tilesets confuse me horribly too, and the inherent replacement of letters in words with little levers and pillar images just looks blech.
Actually any semi-recent version of .31 would not have this problem as they have separate tiles for fonts and for the scenery.

On topic:
Finally found the copper ore, smelted some bronze and equipped first two dwarves with weapons and armor. The sieges might start soon, so far it's been quiet and only lost a few dwarves who fished or collected silk near the underground river when it flooded. I think it's time to move past the river and build new living quarters between the river and the chasm.

River and chasm? I started the fort in 23a to see how it was. Quite fun so far  ;)

The good:
  • The separate "zones" - river, chasm and so on - interesting, fun and make natural goals when designing the fort
  • A bit different rules, esp. farming and getting nobles - more "quest" like, make natural goals as above
  • Nobles! I started in .31 (with the no-gobling bug) so the forts saw little action unless megabeast showed up. In 23a nobles make running the fort much more interesting, with their demands and making things more complex (maybe someone who played a lot with them in 23a and 40d might be tired of them, but for me they're a blast
  • Limited space and supplies - with the amount of z-space and ore in .31 I rarely even got to caves before getting bored with the fort (see above point)
The bad:
  • Oh god, no Dwarf Therapist. Sure, I've finally got to use custom professions and nicknames but it's hard. Not challenging and interesting hard but tiring and troublesome hard. If DT ever gets abandoned I can't see myself playing DF unless Toady implements something like it (even something similar to current health screen would do)
  • Just ASCII. Not that bad once you get used to it, but I still prefer graphical sets
The neutral:
  • 2d and no wall construction (unless I missed something) - on one hand it makes you think more about designing the fort, as you can't just make the living quarters where the ore vein is. On the other hand it makes hard to construct a project/design you like. With 2d only it's not that much of a deal as most designs are not practical there
Overall I have to say it's very refreshing and I encourage to try 23a if you did not play it in the past!  :D

Ladde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8182 on: November 22, 2010, 07:23:44 pm »

Going on? In my fort?
I can tell you whats not going on! - Archery training!
Curses!

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8183 on: November 22, 2010, 07:58:22 pm »

Part 7 of my LP is up.

I have no clue about what happened with the conchmen. One second they were there and then they suddenly vanished. There's no corpse, blood, or anything else to indicate that they were ever there. Neither of my soldiers are credited with killing them. However, both conchmen still show up as deceased on the units list. This hasn't happened with any other animals in Reveredtour, so I don't get why or how this occurred. Honestly, it's like the game is just fucking with me at this point. "Oh, you want to write an update about a dangerous battle between your weak militia and deadly zombies? WELL FUCK YOU AHAHAHAHA!!!"

I also don't know why Dishmab decided to butcher the zombie mole dogs, but figured it would be amusing to tie it into the narrative. The fuckers take a long time to be butchered to. Shame I won't be getting any good meat from them. Instead, I'm just going to get artifacts the menace with spikes of mole dog bone.

Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #8184 on: November 22, 2010, 08:34:29 pm »

My population has just entered the triple digits. I think that's a first for me.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #8185 on: November 22, 2010, 08:48:21 pm »

Part 7 of my LP is up.

I have no clue about what happened with the conchmen. One second they were there and then they suddenly vanished. There's no corpse, blood, or anything else to indicate that they were ever there. Neither of my soldiers are credited with killing them. However, both conchmen still show up as deceased on the units list. This hasn't happened with any other animals in Reveredtour, so I don't get why or how this occurred. Honestly, it's like the game is just fucking with me at this point. "Oh, you want to write an update about a dangerous battle between your weak militia and deadly zombies? WELL FUCK YOU AHAHAHAHA!!!"

I also don't know why Dishmab decided to butcher the zombie mole dogs, but figured it would be amusing to tie it into the narrative. The fuckers take a long time to be butchered to. Shame I won't be getting any good meat from them. Instead, I'm just going to get artifacts the menace with spikes of mole dog bone.

I'll bet that you didn't initialize their corpse or tissue correctly so their dead bodies evaporated upon death. Or maybe immediately after they died someone hauled off the corpse.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8186 on: November 22, 2010, 09:12:45 pm »

Part 7 of my LP is up.

I'll bet that you didn't initialize their corpse or tissue correctly so their dead bodies evaporated upon death. Or maybe immediately after they died someone hauled off the corpse.

You know at first I thought it was a problem with my modding, but I never had a problem with them in arena mode. But then I tested them again, and zombie conchmen vanish for some reason. This confused me since I never had this problem before. Upon testing other modded creatures, the same issue occurred. Now I knew for a fact that some of these creatures worked fine as zombies. Out of curiosity, I tested some vanilla creatures. These disappeared as well.

So apparently I have a problem with vanishing zombies. Why the mole dogs were exempt from this I don't know, since they vanished in arena mode. Anyone else have this issue?

EDIT: Just downloaded a completley clean version of DF, to make sure my mods aren't causing this. Zombies vanish in arena mode. Now I'm guessing I'm just an idiot and zombies have always vanished, but I have to ask; is this a glitch?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 09:17:34 pm by Internet Kraken »
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

McDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8187 on: November 22, 2010, 09:44:35 pm »

1st Felsite, 1052
Monom, the expedition leader, has been acting strangely lately, but we think he is better now. He just came out of the wood shop with a impressive looking bed.

Komanbabin Rakas Fikod, "Spreadfriend the Stranger of Glazing," a palm bed.
Weight: 15             Basic Value: 13200
This is a palm bed. All craftdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is decorated with palm and encircled with bands of palm and mule leather. This object menaces with spikes of palm.

On the item is an image of Spreadfriend the Stranger of Glazing the palm bed in palm.
On the item is an image of a wild strawberry in palm. On the item is an image of a cloud in palm.

On the item is an image of Tekkud, the deity of pregnancy, creation, crafts and labor, depicted as a female dwarf and two dwarves in palm. The two dwarves are praying. Tekkud is contemplating.
On the item is an image of fisher berries in palm. On the item is an image of crescent moons in palm.

Oh, the mining team discovered some Galena while digging out the food stores. First ore we've discovered.

First artifact of Flagmine, also a legendary carpenter, so masterwork beds for everybody.

I tried moving my save over to a Windows computer to try and get some shots in a visualizer, but whenever I try to load Flagmine in the Windows version, Dwarf Fortress crashes.

atomicthumbs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8188 on: November 22, 2010, 10:10:50 pm »

Approximate production of the dwarven stronghold Irongifted as of 9 Malachite, year 16:

~500 iron bars (200 smelted to steel)
~2500 coke
~1100 raw adamantine

The regional authorities are considering renaming it.

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8189 on: November 22, 2010, 10:17:56 pm »

My expedition leader got caught in a cave-in and broke both legs plus an arm. Just in time for the dwarven caravan to arrive.

My medical dwarf keeps sitting near the well with a bucket in hand, tasked to apply a cast but just staring at it stupidly. The Liason does not consider the replacement broker an acceptable substitute and is dutifully waiting on my Leader's hopefully swift recovery. Is there a way to get a pre-filled bucket of water?
Pages: 1 ... 544 545 [546] 547 548 ... 3842