Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 543 544 [545] 546 547 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6106483 times)

vhappylurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #8160 on: November 22, 2010, 03:41:31 am »

In Stockadesummits, it's now Spring 254 (started in 252) and I've been trying to build my outer fortress. With migrants and a couple of very fecund dwarfs, I've got a population of 83 dwarfs and a Baron who's a legendary craftsdwarf. Unfortunately, my game keeps crashing right when I'm making some decent progress with my buildings. Also been having trouble with my cook/milker playing tug-of-war with various dwarfs over caged cows... (.__.)

lollius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8161 on: November 22, 2010, 06:03:43 am »

My most succesfull fort(I played it more then 2 hours)crashed as I wanted to dig into hell.Im gonna try a NOT EVIlL biome this time,and if it fails again trough a bug I shall never touch DF again and play something easier.Tetris maybe.or going for the POKEMON CHAMPION TITLE

duckInferno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8162 on: November 22, 2010, 07:18:20 am »

A metalcrafter just got a fey mood.  Among his workshop spoils is an adamantine wafer and some goblin's bones.  This could go either way :l

edit: Adamantine flute.  Well, he was a metalcrafter :P.  Still, its value?

746,400 dwarfbucks ;x

« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 07:21:31 am by duckInferno »
HAHAHA YES MY EXPIDITION LEADER IS PARTYING WITH GHOSTS THIS IS THE BEST UPDATE EVER

Serio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8163 on: November 22, 2010, 07:28:04 am »

Doomringed, my first fort in a Terrifying biome(used to Calm or Untamed), has been established against a mountain side. Should be fun. The interior of the fortress is, this time around, more for aesthetics than function. I also put the migrant cap at 30, to avoid the FPS death I suffered with the last fort, so that might cause me some problems. But, overall, I get the feeling this fortress should be fun. So far I have 9 dwarves, and I've already established the Trade Depot airlock that I forgot about with my last fortress. I've also just finished the farming area, which will be providing plump helmets all year around, and pig tail seeds two season a year.

I give Doomringed two years tops before it enters into a tantrum spiral.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #8164 on: November 22, 2010, 07:29:11 am »

I just threw two raccoons from the current highest point of my Tower of Ominousness. One fell 5 Z levels and has several internal injuries and broken bones. The other fell 7 Z levels, and only has a broken paw and a broken tail. Was this random, or does the soil where they fall influence their fate? (the first fell on a balcony I had built for my marksdwarves, the other fell on soil)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

duckInferno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8165 on: November 22, 2010, 08:03:11 am »

Invincible dwarf getting wailed on by four humans with iron spears:

Many pages of this.
HAHAHA YES MY EXPIDITION LEADER IS PARTYING WITH GHOSTS THIS IS THE BEST UPDATE EVER

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8166 on: November 22, 2010, 08:05:41 am »

Another goblin ambush showed up, this time with human leaders.  The 2 squads imediately became visible when they entered the map, which seemed odd.

Then the human leaders for the goblins STARTED ATTACKING THEIR MINIONS.  And apperantly started a loyalty cascade among the goblins.

Oookayyy....  It seems nobody likes the goblins, not even their own leaders.

Huh, so this abductee aggro bug isn't just my game. I thought I triggered it on my world because I played an adventurer before embarking, but if the goblin loyalty cascade bug isn't linked to adventure mode...

I wouldn't throw that thought out.  I also adventured in that world before embarking.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Serio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8167 on: November 22, 2010, 08:17:56 am »

Invincible dwarf getting wailed on by four humans with iron spears:

Many pages of this.
That's the Dwarven interpretation of Prometheus from Greek mythology.

Herbiie

• Bay Watcher
  • Loyal Unto Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8168 on: November 22, 2010, 08:20:03 am »

Another Attack on Cloisteredwood!

75 Goblins... *gulp* biggest attack yet.

Pah! Only 5 dorfs dead, 37 Goblins dead the rest ran away, ahahaha! None Can Defeat Cloisteredwood!

Tantrums? Oh no :(
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 08:40:46 am by Herbiie »
The once dark-grey walls are now the dark brown of stained blood. At either side of the path leading to the great granite gates is covered with the corpses and skeletons of Goblin invaders.
Some are still fresh. One is still moving.
As you approach the gate a nervous guard looses a bolt in your direction. Silence... Slowly, gradually, the huge doors screech open. Inside there is a courtyard, the floor wet with blood. Welcome to the front-line. Welcome; to Cloisteredwood.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8169 on: November 22, 2010, 10:54:13 am »

Two draconians succumbed to a single alligator.
I still need to fetch their gear.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8170 on: November 22, 2010, 11:51:24 am »

My paraplegic dwarf died of thirst because of a stupid burrow issue. He didn't suffer long, at least!
However, now he's been replaced by a mostly useless strand extractor who stood too close to my Goblin War Criminal Public Execution Device - GWCPED®. Now he can't stand AND can't grasp anything anymore at all. Since nerve damage was listed, I think I just found my new permanent hospital resident.  ???
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8171 on: November 22, 2010, 01:15:55 pm »

Built a small pool of water in front of a new party hall.  I had hoped the 3/7 deep water would cause all my residents to learn how to swim.

No luck on the learning to swim part, but considering that the entire thing turned into a 3x3 pool of brown sludge the moment somebody passed through it I think I figured out why after it rains there is always a random pattern of blood pools all over the surface.

Hmm...it actually seems to be cleaning them off, even when the water likely has the consistency of chunky soup.  Perhaps I should redesign my hospital and put one of these in front of it...

EDIT:Scratch that, came back from trading to see a trail of blood 20 tiles long extending from the water pool.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 01:58:10 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8172 on: November 22, 2010, 01:36:51 pm »

Glitterhammers is in it's golden age.

Dwarves live in prosperity, no one was punished for noble's failuers in two years.

Elves, goblins and shruk are easily repelled.

All is well in Glitterhammers, it's only weakness being all military guys being friends with all military guys.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Ancre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8173 on: November 22, 2010, 01:44:30 pm »

We've just started building the fortress. It looks more like a rat hole filled with workshops at the moment, with wood constructions since we have no stone, and nobody lives well in it. But everyone likes working outdoors so everyone remains happy.

Clear glass needs so much charcoal ! Our little group (the Amazing boulder ! ) is slowly deforesting the place. But we have our first clear glass thingies ! A table and a chair, for the bookkeeper. We really have nothing to work with, only wood, sand, and shells from turtles and bones from fishes.

Go Groupwound ! Soon a giant glass tower will rise from nothing !

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #8174 on: November 22, 2010, 02:44:19 pm »

We've just started building the fortress. It looks more like a rat hole filled with workshops at the moment, with wood constructions since we have no stone, and nobody lives well in it. But everyone likes working outdoors so everyone remains happy.

ELF!

I myself am beginning Numbermachines, a dwarfputing fortress. I am attempting to create a system for primitive if statements, for !!programming!!-but I'm trying to figure out exactly how. In essence, the computer will have two processors which can perform two operations; then, power from them will be transferred to another section of the computer if and only if they are or are not the same. Problem is, how to do it...my goal is eventually to create a computer with a very simple assembly language which can be used to create basic programs. So, for example, you could create a repeater which would increase the count of an invisible variable (probably we won't be able to handle more than one variable in any given program) every 10 frames, and then when it reached some number, shut off. Could be very useful for a calendar. We have already embarked, for the glory of !!SCIENCE!!.

However, this means things are a little screwy-everybody who's not making food, producing a few trinkets for export, or mining stone is making mechanisms. I've packed 2 proficient mechanics.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 02:56:06 pm by dhokarena56 »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.
Pages: 1 ... 543 544 [545] 546 547 ... 3842