Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 533 534 [535] 536 537 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6106974 times)

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #8010 on: November 17, 2010, 01:34:11 am »

If you get an immigrant who has learned to wield a hammer and a crossbow, then you issue her full iron armor, a bizmuth crossbow and pit her against a giant eagle .. that should be a no-brainer right? Dwarf wins. Fatality.

It was sort of true. She didn't bother to pick up any bolts so she just went in to bash the thing with her crossbow .. though she had some problems since the giant eagle bit her in the cheek, latched on firmly and wrestled her to the ground! They were exchanging punches, kicks and clawings in a very comical fashion.

Fortunately The dwarf wasn't alone and the eagle gave up after being shot three times. She's currently off-duty and being worked on in the hospital .. I'm sure that this will scar so I will call her "Scarface"
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8011 on: November 17, 2010, 08:24:12 am »

Ugghhhhhh. Siege happened.

A cheap ass macegoblin killed one of my best swordsmen with a lucky head strike in the first second of the battle that bashed his skull in through an exceptional steel helmet. Blunt weapons are OP.
And my hammerdwarf went unconscious on a weapon trap and got slowly butchered by my own trap.
Two of my marksdwarves got heavily wounded by an enemy elite crossbowgoblin, now in hospital. One of them died from infection.

Seriously, maces are just ridiculous. Nothing can stop them. In real life there are bad sides to maces, like how it's harder to defend with them, and especially with flails if you stop moving it it's easy for your opponent to get to you. But not in DF, in DF blunt weapons are just "damage anything even as a total noob, be able to defend like with any other weapon, all head hits are instakills even with masterwork adamantine armor"
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 08:27:05 am by Orkel »
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #8012 on: November 17, 2010, 08:35:46 am »

A cheap ass macegoblin killed one of my best swordsmen with a lucky head strike in the first second of the battle that bashed his skull in through an exceptional steel helmet. Blunt weapons are OP.
And my hammerdwarf went unconscious on a weapon trap and got slowly butchered by my own trap.
Two of my marksdwarves got heavily wounded by an enemy elite crossbowgoblin, now in hospital. One of them died from infection.

Seriously, maces are just ridiculous. Nothing can stop them. In real life there are bad sides to maces, like how it's harder to defend with them, and especially with flails if you stop moving it it's easy for your opponent to get to you. But not in DF, in DF blunt weapons are just "damage anything even as a total noob, be able to defend like with any other weapon, all head hits are instakills even with masterwork adamantine armor"

with the last release anything can instagib a dwarf with a lucky strike to the throat.
the most useful skills are now fighter and dodger and shield user; those are the only providing 'perfect' protection from enemy weapons and attack of opportunity

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8013 on: November 17, 2010, 08:53:38 am »

So what you're saying is danger rooms are even more useful.

EDIT:

1 Fey weaponsmith.
1 adamantine wafer.
1 mysterious construction.
1 hyper-awesome short sword spear.

EDIT2: Oops, shut off the computer without closing DF. Oh well. Operation JPEG Hero is under way. Eventually I will have a dwarf with a full set of artifact adamantine armor wielding the artifact spear.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 11:07:33 am by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8014 on: November 17, 2010, 12:46:54 pm »

What the shit? A furnace operator suddenly cancelled her work to rest, and I noticed she was bleeding profusely from both feet. She starts walking away, gets more and more dizzy and pale, and drops dead before she even sees the entrance of the fortress. Nothing seems to have touched her at all.
Given she was worshipping Säd, the god of rumors, and that I like to think he's able to make them true, let's say this is a miracle. One less useless mouth to feed!
(I'm still playing .16, by the way.)
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

absynthe7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8015 on: November 17, 2010, 12:55:22 pm »

Killed a Forgotten Beast ever? Looks like you've got The Rot! Good times. Look for and Restrict/Clean any tiles with Forgotten Beast extract or blood on them, or you'll see more of this from anyone else walking through it.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8016 on: November 17, 2010, 01:44:04 pm »

Make it a point to play only with dfclean, because the way contaminants are unrealistically and unfairly implemented, the deck is seriously stacked against you.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #8017 on: November 17, 2010, 02:00:17 pm »

I got a frickin' high master lye maker in my last fort. If there's such a thing as wasting your life, this is it.
And, somebody who has no labour skills. Did somebody say gem cutter?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 02:07:08 pm by dhokarena56 »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

RetSpline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8018 on: November 17, 2010, 02:33:31 pm »

So I discovered and breached adamantine for my first time yesterday. All before then, I had all sorts of plans for how I would carefully one-by-one mine out the rocks and transport them back to the surface before moving on. However, in the heat of the moment I went a little bit... crazy and just started digging. The first few levels went without incident so I figured I had a safe spot. Oh how I was wrong. A few levels down, the area crowded with my miners and haulers, I ended up breaching hell. I was all kinds of unprepared for this, so I kind of freaked out. I disabled all hauling labors, enabled masonry on all of my dwarves and built a wall locking the demons in with a few dwarves at the last second. All told I lost a Legendary miner, a High Master Gem Cutter, and a few other nobodies, and only got 14 adamantine out of the deal. Not bad for a first try, I imagine.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8019 on: November 17, 2010, 02:37:42 pm »

I got a frickin' high master lye maker in my last fort. If there's such a thing as wasting your life, this is it.
And, somebody who has no labour skills. Did somebody say gem cutter?

I can say furnace operator.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #8020 on: November 17, 2010, 02:47:10 pm »

Ah, well, I just got a High Master Gem Cutter, so, yeah, furnace operator.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8021 on: November 17, 2010, 02:52:09 pm »

Killed a Forgotten Beast ever? Looks like you've got The Rot! Good times. Look for and Restrict/Clean any tiles with Forgotten Beast extract or blood on them, or you'll see more of this from anyone else walking through it.
Doesn't make sense! The girl never got near any sort of Forgotten Beast (remains) whatsoever, many others did, they're all healthy, and it's been many months since I last killed one! Or she did it alone while I was busy with something else, and she was especially unlucky for one of the few dwarfs that were supposed to be rarely sick.
Oh well. If it turns out it is The Rot® after all, I will consider doing something about it. Maybe. Haven't had Fun® in a while, there's no time to be cautious now.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #8022 on: November 17, 2010, 03:50:54 pm »

I was going to drain the damned cavern lake to start a proper tree farm, and sudden four flesh balls spawned underwater at the border where water pours in. I can't send my elites to attack them, I can't construct around them, and bolts seems not bother them. there are dozens of iron bolts stuck in one, to no effect.

...I'll bring a magma presents to them. iron pump components on the way!

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #8023 on: November 17, 2010, 04:16:07 pm »

2 words: Leather Cap. When blunt weapons hit metal, the effect is like a Newton's Cradle- Hammer hits helmet, helmet hits side of head with force of hammer. Leather cushions the blow much better, though they don't help when somebody stabs you with a slashing weapon. Layers are your friends!

Serio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8024 on: November 17, 2010, 04:19:29 pm »

Doesn't make sense! The girl never got near any sort of Forgotten Beast (remains) whatsoever, many others did, they're all healthy, and it's been many months since I last killed one! Or she did it alone while I was busy with something else, and she was especially unlucky for one of the few dwarfs that were supposed to be rarely sick.
Oh well. If it turns out it is The Rot® after all, I will consider doing something about it. Maybe. Haven't had Fun® in a while, there's no time to be cautious now.
Nothing like a fortress-wide bath day to get all the bad diseases away.

Except maybe a fortress-wide bath day with water.
Pages: 1 ... 533 534 [535] 536 537 ... 3842