Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 532 533 [534] 535 536 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6106971 times)

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #7995 on: November 16, 2010, 03:29:43 pm »

The megabeasts are extinct, but I just took a count of the number of forgotten beast fats in the stockpile: 604. This probably doesn't include the ones who wouldn't have fat, like the one made of glass. There are only 562 types of beast extract, so I assume some duplication between them. One of those will probably be the death of this fort.

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7996 on: November 16, 2010, 04:37:10 pm »

I've seen my first seige and surface megabeast since 40d. The seige was pretty easy, and so was the cyclops. None of the goblins came mounted, and I'm wondering if that might change at any point.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #7997 on: November 16, 2010, 04:38:04 pm »

you just wait  ;D
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7998 on: November 16, 2010, 05:02:39 pm »

Started a new fort in 31.18, and was actually smart enough to be capable of transferring my mods over to the new version this time.

4x2 embark, river, volcano. Name: Stablepulleys.

Let's see how long it takes for !!FUN!!.

Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

NightmareBros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7999 on: November 16, 2010, 05:08:58 pm »

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8000 on: November 16, 2010, 05:14:46 pm »

Too large?
at
Wait.
You monitor is THAT small? o.o

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #8001 on: November 16, 2010, 05:29:41 pm »

That's a minuscule monitor.

I'm doing a succession fort, I succeeded in getting the entire military killed by killer clowns from clowntopia. Then a goblin siege arrived. It looked like all was lost until I jumpstarted a defense project and put into motion a plan to flood the quarantined demon infestation with magma.

If I ever doubted this game's superiority to all others, this moment cemented it. :D
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #8002 on: November 16, 2010, 07:07:31 pm »

That's a minuscule monitor.

I'm doing a succession fort, I succeeded in getting the entire military killed by killer clowns from clowntopia. Then a goblin siege arrived. It looked like all was lost until I jumpstarted a defense project and put into motion a plan to flood the quarantined demon infestation with magma.

If I ever doubted this game's superiority to all others, this moment cemented it. :D

Magma kills clowns?

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8003 on: November 16, 2010, 07:19:41 pm »

Getting back into the swing of things, and finally making some progress on this completely opaque military system.

Today:
A) I got a migrant who was an Adequate Butcher and a Novice Surgeon. This combination makes me slightly uncomfortable.

B) I saw a Hoary Marmot outside - just one - with Red and Yellow wounds in pretty much every part of its body.

I have absolutely no idea how this happened. None of my dwarves were wounded to indicate an interrupted battle, and there was no combat report anyway. I sent a couple dwarves to put the poor fella out of his misery.

C) I got ambushed by some goblins in my 3-year old fort. I was rather anxious because my new military (after the previous double-ambush wiped out two thirds of them) hadn't had the time to become stronger yet and so I figured this would be another high-casualty ordeal. Then I looked at the Ambush.

It was a Lasher and four Crossbowmen. Crap.

So I'm ordering all civilians into the safety-burrow, and ordering all military dwarves to run aboveground and deal with the threat. One of my dwarves is caught outside - a single, Adequate-Marksdwarf Ranger in the military, who was off duty and therefore equipped only with his crossbow and wooden bolts for hunting. I groan as the goblins rapidly approach, having taken a brief detour to shoot down a stray dog. They close in on the Ranger with astonishing speed, the Lasher gets three squares away, and...

The Ranger shoots him in the gut. Once.

The entire ambush scatters instantly. The Ranger - now dubbed "Walker" - calmly stands there and shoots the Lasher with wooden bolts until it stops moving while the Crossbow-goblins run like hell back the way they came.

I have a new squad-commander.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8004 on: November 16, 2010, 07:41:05 pm »

My training room now has a couple statues of Almosh, the deity of War and Victory. Little something to inspire the troops.

Plus, with all the statues that I had made waiting for some ones of Almosh to turn up, I have a lot for trading.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8005 on: November 16, 2010, 08:31:01 pm »

Having yet to see an elf diplomat accompanying the traders in .17, I had begun to assume the Elves are now less anal about their stupid trees. So I figured I'd at least try to co-exist peacefully with the douchebags. They arrrive, I begin trading and...

A caged Tiger-woman?! You slave-trading bastards!

So, they're dead now, and my fortress has a new resident.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8006 on: November 16, 2010, 08:44:33 pm »

Just found out that becoming Elite (army) causes my dwarfs to get all their labor prefs turned off, so I went back and started turning them back on, one by one because I don't have Dwarf Therapist/equivalent (yet).

The first time, I decided to hollow out some tree farms, and cracked open DF Reveal to help me find some likely spots of dirt.

And unpaused by accident.

Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooops.

Shut off DF Reveal and savescummed, because I would rather do that on my own time, after preparing my dorfs adequately, and preferably at the nice little venue the clowns already have on my embark, with the shiny flagpole up top.

Turned all those labors back on by hand again, re-designated an area to be dug for my tree farm without DF Reveal on... and DF crashed.

I suspect this game is telling me to go do my homework.

Jorshamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8007 on: November 17, 2010, 12:10:18 am »

Just got the most awesome migrant wave I've ever seen. 25 dwarf wave, including High-Masters in Cooking, Cheesemaking, Weapon crafting, and Armor crafting, not to mention a couple of fairly well trained military dwarves. Also got my magma industry finally running off the local volcano. Also just met with my first Elven Caravan. and got stocked up on booze. Next project is getting water into the fort. Currently, the river is 30 Z-levels down. By the way, does anyone know if there is a maximum number of Z-levels a well can span?

DumbfoundedElf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8008 on: November 17, 2010, 12:13:45 am »

Just recently had a dwarf fall 5 z-levels from a pitfall trap. It looked at his thoughts and it said he was happy from sleeping in an improper room and talking to a friend lately.  And some more stuff.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8009 on: November 17, 2010, 12:37:48 am »

By the way, does anyone know if there is a maximum number of Z-levels a well can span?
No maximum, but the bucket descends at about the rate a dwarf walks. And the well is tasked from the moment a thirsty dwarf finds it available.
Pages: 1 ... 532 533 [534] 535 536 ... 3842