Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 526 527 [528] 529 530 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6107506 times)

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #7905 on: November 13, 2010, 05:54:12 pm »

Diggin a pit which will then contain a room completely built of glass. In the middle there will be a raised dias and on it shall sit the tomb of my avatar in-game. It will then be surrounded by magma. I may then build some sort of church/tower thing on top for aboveground win.

Cuz there's nothing like legendary masons.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7906 on: November 13, 2010, 07:26:24 pm »

Ramps cannot be dug east/west, apparently.

Yes they can, they'll even work diagonally, and it works exactly the same. Basically, from the bottom of a ramp a unit can move toward any one of the surrounding walls as long as on the z-level above those tiles occupied by the walls are floors, and they will be carried upward to them. A unit cannot move from the bottom of a ramp to a floor that is not directly supported by a wall, and a ramp can only move you up one z-level at a time.
From the top of a ramp you can also only move down to the ramp itself if you are on a floor which is supported by a wall. When there are no walls surrounding a ramp it (usually) disappears.
Stairs are still way easier to plan out but they reportedly take more processing power for your system when calculating pathing.

Anyway, I'm digging a massive artificial cavern using the 1st cavern layer as a floor. It's taking endless hours to designate and verify that everything will turn out the way I want it to. I'm sure I'll lose at least 80% of my population to cave ins, no matter how careful I think i'm being... I intend for it to be in similar style to Undergrotto maybe with a little Relicrags Architecture mixed in for good measure. Those are my two favorite forts (architecturally) thus far.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Ethereal.Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7907 on: November 13, 2010, 08:10:24 pm »

I'm taking a break from my first fort since 31.12, just hit the magma sea in Mid-summer.

I lost one of my founders, a military dwarf, to a troll that got in when I decided I could wait a while to totally wall off my cavern farm.

I'm sure he would've survived if he didn't drop his axe for no reason as soon as I put him in a squad.
Can't you also damn rivers by causing a wall to drop into the water via cave-in?
I figured you could always damn a river by channeling out it out all the way into Hell.

Tessien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7908 on: November 13, 2010, 09:09:12 pm »

Building a fully cavern fort, with rooms dug into the walls of the cavern. I am being bombarded by creatures, and deaths.

It is awesome.

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7909 on: November 13, 2010, 09:12:29 pm »

Earlier in my fort I had a kobold beaten unconscious, and as it so happened he fell into a cage trap. Now a few months later, my dwarfs are engraving "such-and-such is withering away". I think my dwarfs find it hilarious.
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7910 on: November 13, 2010, 09:12:37 pm »

Playing a modded race.
Embarked with tame cave spiders. Released 'em in an enclosed area. I'm getting so much freakin' silk!
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #7911 on: November 13, 2010, 09:31:58 pm »

I'm taking a break from my first fort since 31.12, just hit the magma sea in Mid-summer.

I lost one of my founders, a military dwarf, to a troll that got in when I decided I could wait a while to totally wall off my cavern farm.

I'm sure he would've survived if he didn't drop his axe for no reason as soon as I put him in a squad.

Was he a woodcutter, incidentally? If so, he dropped his axe because it was claimed for the woodcutting job.

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7912 on: November 13, 2010, 09:41:36 pm »

I am playing my first fortress that isn't guided by a tutorial. I have come up with a clever way of embarking that works well. I first embark with a squad of workers who will simply carve the basic fortress out, get furniture and other basics set up, and bring many expensive weapons, equipment, etc. in lieu of food. Then, another embarkment will liberate the prepared fortress and start at an advantage. So, I do this, mining out the layout of my fortress and get the basics set up.
I am about to abandon the fortress and bring in my real settlers when the sudden desire to explore underground hits me. I take one miner, Sazir Othilkol, and bury him underground by digging a ramp and removing it. I proceed to dig underground, expecting to get to the first cavern, see what one actually looks like, and get eaten by something. Instead, Sazir digs down a total of 150 levels, through three more caverns and surviving on mud and spiders he caught with his bare hands. He finally hits warm stone, and I think to myself, "by Armok, he's found Hell itself!" Going down the final level, I find the Sea of Magma, and get not one, but two messages praising the miners for finding adamantine. Keep in mind that this is the first fortress I have founded without the help of a tutorial. This is a big, big event for me.
Searching the walls, I find no adamantine. A good part of the lava, however, is cut off, making me think I need to explore further. As of this moment, Sazir digs around scalding-hot lava in the hopes of finding this legendary metal. Now would be the best time ever for one of the Draltha hovering around to come and eat my miner.

EDIT:
Y.
E.
S.

Before technically even starting my fortress, I have access to adamantite. My nerves might be frayed to breaking point and Sazir might be dying of thirst, but I did it.
By the way, it turns out that every tile above the Sea of Magma is warm. It makes sense, but when I had to manually force Sazir to mine one warm wall at a time, I was expecting my hard work to end in the traditional dwarfish way; hotly. But I found a vein of adamantite and plan to mine it thoroughly. I'm also going to save and then breach Hell, just for the hell of it. I wonder how long wooden grates will hold them back?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 10:25:35 pm by Crazy Cow »

Ethereal.Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7913 on: November 13, 2010, 10:11:28 pm »

Was he a woodcutter, incidentally? If so, he dropped his axe because it was claimed for the woodcutting job.

God dommot.
Can't you also damn rivers by causing a wall to drop into the water via cave-in?
I figured you could always damn a river by channeling out it out all the way into Hell.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #7914 on: November 13, 2010, 10:20:43 pm »

God dommot.

Workaround: Ideally, you just hack down a bunch of trees quickly at the beginning of the game. Then, disable woodcutting on your dwarf to free up the axe. Then, assign battleaxes to his squad.

If you need to activate him while he still has the axe for woodcutting, first disable his woodcutting labor. He should drop the axe. Activate his squad and assign battleaxes, then give a station order on the battleaxe. He should get the Pickup Equipment job, and then Station with his newly acquired axe. After dealing with the threat, remove battleaxes from his squad and wait for him to drop the axe. Assign him woodcutting as a labor again.

Sometimes I find he doesn't want to pick the battleaxe up after dropping it- put a weapon stockpile underneath it, hopefully that'll make it obvious to him.

PWRFLSTRGN

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7915 on: November 14, 2010, 12:10:41 am »

A longstanding goal of mine has finally been accomplished. I added [TRAINABLE][PET] into the deer raws in my .17 save. I now have two Tame War Deer! I have them chained close to each other in the dining hall in hopes of starting an army. How do I figure out how many offspring they produce and how often? Also, how would one edit the raws to make them produce more or shorten childhood? thankyouuuu

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #7916 on: November 14, 2010, 12:57:13 am »

A longstanding goal of mine has finally been accomplished. I added [TRAINABLE][PET] into the deer raws in my .17 save. I now have two Tame War Deer! I have them chained close to each other in the dining hall in hopes of starting an army. How do I figure out how many offspring they produce and how often? Also, how would one edit the raws to make them produce more or shorten childhood? thankyouuuu

The default raws are availible on the wiki:

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Deer

The relevant tag is [CHILD:1]. This indicates that a deer fawn will be a child for one year, after which it will grow into a deer. That's about as quick as anybody grows up.

To make them breed more often, look for the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag and remove it.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7917 on: November 14, 2010, 01:02:29 am »

Also, you could add the [LITTERSIZE:x:y] tag, where x is the minimum number born at a time and y is the maximum.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

barconis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7918 on: November 14, 2010, 01:48:14 am »

The last two moods in Cavechampions created "short skirts". Maybe the newly arrived Queen will want to wear them when she goes to visit the 80+ dwarves confined to bed from a syndrome, see if that inspires any of the slackers to recover and get back to work.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7919 on: November 14, 2010, 02:00:17 am »

Ura Somethingoozed the Hollow Pus, a Forgotten Beast made of solid hematite with poison spit, was defeated by a Military Captain with a bronze (!) battle axe named... wait for it... "Lumnumdum".

Oh, and a female Maxwell.

There were no casualties. I love my danger rooms.

(Yes, I have steel, this guy's just obsessed with his Lumnumdum.)
Pages: 1 ... 526 527 [528] 529 530 ... 3842