Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 525 526 [527] 528 529 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6107701 times)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #7890 on: November 12, 2010, 08:55:02 pm »

Bearoars, founded on a mountainside with plenty of marble and iron ore!
Also founded on a shrubland teeming with skeletal warthogs. After they did for my cows, my war dogs, and 5 dwarves, I took the drastic measure of hiding in the caverns where I was promptly killed by a Troll.

God I love this game.

The Phoenixian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7891 on: November 12, 2010, 09:10:09 pm »

Recently, I've been building an artificial magma pipe. Rather than wait for all the time it would take to build pumps however, I've decided that I'll use the core as a 36 tile wide magma piston. This hit problems when it turned out that the center of the shaft was placed above two cavern lakes that extended to the map edge.

After some hemming and hawing I decided that the best solution was to collapse the rim wall from the cavern roof into the lakes. it went perfectly the first time and the lake was easily drained.

The second time however, a flaw emerged in the collapsed wall. For some reason the collapse was blocked by a ramp and a hole remained that connected the lake inside the wall to the outer lake. and I had an infinite source refilling the lake

After a few moments I came up with a solution to that too.

I would build a wall.
Underwater.

(I had to unsuspended that thing so many times...)

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7892 on: November 12, 2010, 11:07:52 pm »

Started a new fortress in a evil glacier(That has a little but of tundra in it).
I haven't encountered any undead other then a giant toad when i accidently pierced the first cavern.
I'm walled in just in case undead appear above ground
I then dug a cistern.  Somehow, 3 dwarves have died while digging.
Chambercreeds is off to a GREAT start.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7893 on: November 13, 2010, 05:17:36 am »

Ettin attack on Wipedchannels. Half the fort's civilian population was outside picking up goblinite from where Goblin Christmas happened some weeks previously, so there's a mechanic right out in the open who promptly gets set upon. It takes several days for the army to figure out where the ettin is, though killing it afterward is a simple matter.

Later, I find the mechanic in the hospital wing, being hemmed and hawwed over by a diagnostician. Morbidly curious to how badly the ettin had mauled her, I open the wounds menu.

Her right thumb is broken.
Her left forefinger is broken.
Her left forefinger is broken (in two places, apparently).

- - - - -

Also, all my hammerdwarfs are named "Maxwell" and tote silver hammers. What Beatles song?

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #7894 on: November 13, 2010, 05:54:29 am »

The goblins lost their leader and are just sort of milling around. Is it a victory condition if they starve to death?
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7895 on: November 13, 2010, 12:49:01 pm »

Had an interesting artifact; it's not so much the fact that it's anything useful or interesting but that the dwarf put an image of the outpost liaison (currently in-fort) on it surrounded by fungiwoods.  I guess the guy likes them, but I never knew that their likes and preferences were fleshed out even if they don't live in the fort.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Syreniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7896 on: November 13, 2010, 02:28:57 pm »

I've just found out I have 35 pages of dead zombie and skeletal elephants. And nobody has tidied up all their corpses...  :o

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #7897 on: November 13, 2010, 02:29:14 pm »

I tried my first embark on a sinister glacier lastnight.  I took 3 miners and set to work digging straight down, hoping to just hit the caves and set up there asap.

The embark point was fairly low, only 89 elevation.  I ended up digging down about 80 layers before hitting the first cavern.  About halfway down, one of the miners turned back for a drink while the other two kept going.  Shortly after hitting the cavern, those two miners died of thirst.  I expected early losses and didn't think it the end of the world.... but my other miner just kept milling about on the surface.

I set everyone to mining, re-designated everything, and checked the route for anything that would make it inaccessible.  I couldn't figure it out.  No one wanted to go down there.

Then some ice wolves came along and started chasing everyone around.  I watched this for a while hoping they would take shelter underground for the love of Armok... but soon lost hope.  Something was bugged.  I drafted them all and watched them rip the wolves to shreds.  The new combat system is awesome.  They methodically broke the creature's legs and then punched them in the spine to paralyze them, or simply strangled them to death.  It's so nice to see them finish an opponent sensibly.  If only they would go to the caverns now.  Abandoned.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7898 on: November 13, 2010, 03:15:39 pm »

Just lost one of my initial dwarfs while he bravely fought off zombie frogs from the wagon.  Shame he dodged into a pool and drowned.  :'(

Ancre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7899 on: November 13, 2010, 03:38:45 pm »

Today the outpost liaison drowned in the underground lake. I have no idea how. Really. He's the first to drown in it. I guess I should do something about securing those staircases that really are just sculpted stalactites at the end.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7900 on: November 13, 2010, 04:13:59 pm »

I tried my first embark on a sinister glacier lastnight.  I took 3 miners and set to work digging straight down, hoping to just hit the caves and set up there asap.

The embark point was fairly low, only 89 elevation.  I ended up digging down about 80 layers before hitting the first cavern.  About halfway down, one of the miners turned back for a drink while the other two kept going.  Shortly after hitting the cavern, those two miners died of thirst.  I expected early losses and didn't think it the end of the world.... but my other miner just kept milling about on the surface.

I set everyone to mining, re-designated everything, and checked the route for anything that would make it inaccessible.  I couldn't figure it out.  No one wanted to go down there.

Forgive the troubleshooting, I just got here from DF Gameplay Help.

Were you using ramps to go down? Was the ramp exit in the same direction as the ramp entrance? Were there any vertically/diagonally positioned tiles dwarves could travel to? I had a lot of trouble figuring out how ramps worked.

What I finally found works is basically, if a ramp enters from the north on the upper end, it needs to exit from the south and have solid walls for support on the north on the lower end. If it enters from the south at the upper end, it needs to have supporting walls on the south and exit from the north on the lower end. Ramps cannot be dug east/west, apparently.

If these conditions are not met, the ramp will be unusable, stranding your dwarves.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #7901 on: November 13, 2010, 04:18:59 pm »

Were you using ramps to go down? Was the ramp exit in the same direction as the ramp entrance? Were there any vertically/diagonally positioned tiles dwarves could travel to? I had a lot of trouble figuring out how ramps worked.

What I finally found works is basically, if a ramp enters from the north on the upper end, it needs to exit from the south and have solid walls for support on the north on the lower end. If it enters from the south at the upper end, it needs to have supporting walls on the south and exit from the north on the lower end. Ramps cannot be dug east/west, apparently.

If these conditions are not met, the ramp will be unusable, stranding your dwarves.

Nope... just stairs.  At one point I had to add a hallway to side-step an aquifer, and then stairs straight down again.

The embark after this is actually my first attempt at using a ramp instead of stairs, and is working just fine.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7902 on: November 13, 2010, 04:37:33 pm »

Finally got soldiers to train, gave them both full steel armor with steel short swords. Atleast I have someone to defend my fort with.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7903 on: November 13, 2010, 04:48:52 pm »

Nope... just stairs.  At one point I had to add a hallway to side-step an aquifer, and then stairs straight down again.

The embark after this is actually my first attempt at using a ramp instead of stairs, and is working just fine.

Huh. Stairs sometimes take a while to path, but have otherwise been pretty good to me.

Bobius

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7904 on: November 13, 2010, 05:23:18 pm »

Breached first cavern after setting up traps. Started walling it off. Dug deeper because I wanted some magma whilst walling continued.

Accidentally skipped the second level and got down to the magma sea and found some bluey goodness. As I was mining this, a Forgotten beast came int he first level. It got caught up fighting a war elephant as my militia commander rushed to fight it. Whilst strangling the elephant it took heavy damage buy eventually killed them both. My 2 miners became recruits. I told them both to go put on steel armour, but 1 of them was all like "Screw that" and went to fight with his copper pick. He embedded it in the wound before dying of bleeding. The forgotten beast was dead before the other recruit could make it down. Having 4 deaths, the newly equipped miner tantrums and the game crashes :(

My save had been when I'd just breached the Cavern. I was seriously sad :(
Pages: 1 ... 525 526 [527] 528 529 ... 3842