Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 524 525 [526] 527 528 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6107725 times)

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #7875 on: November 11, 2010, 02:27:44 pm »

I've filled my fortress wall with magma. Just had to do it. Behold:

Spoiler: Large Image! (click to show/hide)

Lord Vetinari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7876 on: November 11, 2010, 04:39:40 pm »

I was following a gold vein, and I stubled in cotton candy. My metalsmith industry just started, after the end of magmaduct, and I was working on steel armours. I guess I'll skip metal and jump directly to cotton candy equipment.

Herbiie

• Bay Watcher
  • Loyal Unto Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7877 on: November 12, 2010, 08:03:20 am »

I think my fortress is on an Elephant Migratory route.

Every so often they appear, walk to the other side of the map & go.

Weird.

And scary.
The once dark-grey walls are now the dark brown of stained blood. At either side of the path leading to the great granite gates is covered with the corpses and skeletons of Goblin invaders.
Some are still fresh. One is still moving.
As you approach the gate a nervous guard looses a bolt in your direction. Silence... Slowly, gradually, the huge doors screech open. Inside there is a courtyard, the floor wet with blood. Welcome to the front-line. Welcome; to Cloisteredwood.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7878 on: November 12, 2010, 09:22:26 am »

I see engravings from time to time of my last captain of the guard getting removed and crying about it. Hm, not just unnecessarily cruel, but also inaccurate; he got promoted to full combat duty because he was getting too good, and I never saw him shed any tears over it.

The current captain was a good fighter at the time, and would probably be a weaponmaster if she hadn't lost a hand to an axegoblin. I retired her to farming and she became a legendary grower; the one time a wild animal attacked the subterranean farms, she lost the rest of that arm to a giant olm, but kept on punching at it. Happily. And never went to the hospital, just had a drink and a nap.

I have her equipped with an artifact leather shield so she'll always be able to defend herself, and if she has to deliver a beating it's not likely to be lethal. But she has a good attitude and deals well with others, so hopefully she'll be able to talk criminals quietly into custody.

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7879 on: November 12, 2010, 09:42:48 am »

My fortress worships a diety called "Kat" which centers around chaos, war, and fortresses.

A crundle infestation prevented them from getting at water, leading to one death from thirst and five from insanity. (Three went crazy, one of them got two kills)

My mason (before he was murdered by a soap maker) carved five statues, which I set up in the communal bedroom.

1. A dwarf being crushed by a collusus
2. A dwarf being maimed by a titan
3. A creature of evil
4. An elf being crushed by a titan
5. The same thing, but in +orthoclause+

A giant mole killed our carpenter and a lye maker before my miner kicked its brains in.

I uh

I think this can only end well.
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7880 on: November 12, 2010, 11:13:49 am »

After all trash and meltables are burned, next project: magma security.

The fire and magma men have hardly been a problem, but if I'm ever invaded by powerful hostiles who can fly through magma, I want better control over their approach. I've replaced grates with flooring since these magma channels aren't being used for what I intended; tossing refuse before it rots. The metalcrafts and blacksmith shops have both been converted to floor, with only one tile open beneath the forges. They may not be able to break through from beneath, but if one slips inside and starts wrecking, one tile exposure is more manageable to repair than a big open ditch.

Also sealing the top, since the mountain exterior is very poorly defended against flying attackers. In order to secure the whole magma sluice, I'm switching to a pump system that can be powered off the current central reactor. The armory and weaponsmithy are going to move downstairs, along with their smelters. A few more smelters will be added near the deathditch to expedite goblinite processing.

Crafts shops will be decentralized, with multiple shops around the first cavern, and the current aggregate will be converted to a gallery/zoo. At least until I decide to carve up the critters for food and leather, but I don't see a need for either in the next decade. They'll probably die of old age first, and then I'll see what new wildlife appears, or maybe I'll just slaughter them off to make that happen sooner.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7881 on: November 12, 2010, 12:43:43 pm »

Another load of immigrants: why are so many highly skilled and physically fit women showing up with worthless husbands? Seriously, I've got a few dynamic duos among my married couples, and some rare cases it's the husband who's got the priceless skills and/or buff stats while the wife qualifies for notshit. Most the time, I see a woman who I can give a real job right away, often also a great candidate for military service, but the husband is a complete loser.

Great, he's sharing a bed with her, so I need to give him something in the area. At least keep him too busy to breed, because I don't have much faith in their genetic combination.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7882 on: November 12, 2010, 12:57:14 pm »

One of my migrant is an adequate wound dresser.
And nothing more.
I've found my new guinea pig!
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7883 on: November 12, 2010, 01:50:03 pm »

Starting a secondary fort.... named Hellfork. Founded by the Forks of Hell.

This should be interesting.  :D
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #7884 on: November 12, 2010, 02:09:14 pm »

I have just, for the very first time, dug down to the circus. the clowns are coming up. I'm scared.

Update: Everybody's dead. The fortress has crumbled. Nobody told me clowns can destroy doors. And windows.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 02:39:10 pm by Samuel »

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7885 on: November 12, 2010, 02:56:07 pm »

Nobody told me clowns can destroy doors. And windows.
Nobody's just full of good advice and interesting anecdotal evidence, but then nobody listens... I'de like to meet this Nobody some time.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7886 on: November 12, 2010, 06:54:12 pm »

Nobody's just full of good advice and interesting anecdotal evidence, but then nobody listens... I'de like to meet this Nobody some time.
Yo, Nobody's listening.

Ipwnurmom221

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7887 on: November 12, 2010, 07:01:55 pm »

My fort was once besieged by nobody. My dwarves could even find him, so much as kill him. He's so stealthy, the siege icon doesn't even show up.
"I haven't seen my parents in nearly a year, I can't move a foot in any direction, I spend all my days being attacked by animals, and I've been forced to drink sheep puke- wow that's a nice floor grate!"

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #7888 on: November 12, 2010, 07:16:31 pm »

Yo, Nobody's listening.
Hey, Nobody's a pro!

randompeep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7889 on: November 12, 2010, 08:46:56 pm »

When I first got DF and read basic tutorials, I was thinking "This is really boring, why do people play this so much?". I loaded up Civilization Forge, but I still didn't understand.

Then I finally figured out how to use the military, and sent dwarves out on their first mission, to keep wasps from stealing my food. They promptly tore the wasps asunder. With their fists.

I realize that this is a  very minor skirmish, but now I understand what is so special about this game. I understand! ^_^
Pages: 1 ... 524 525 [526] 527 528 ... 3842