Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 516 517 [518] 519 520 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5969645 times)

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #7755 on: November 07, 2010, 02:45:53 pm »

Forging adamantine armor, thinking about adamantine serrated circular blades... had a dwarf in adamantine armor get knocked out over iron blades... took a while to eventually chew her up... goblin macemen... need to set a burrow up behind the defenses rather than sallying out to greet them.  Well back to it...

The dwarf was Mebil Eslikot "Clearinks", Spear dwarf.
Cuase of death: Multiple amputations: Left lower arm, Right hand, Head
Circumstance: Was struck by Strodno Kobgozro "Frigidhell"'s copper mace in the right lower leg chipping the bone through the adamantine high boot.  She then gave in to pain over 10 +Giant Serrated disk+s where she remained until death 4 days later. The armor protected her from most of the strikes, unfortunately it doesn't have 100% coverage.

Only casualty, outnumbered 20 - 6 with prepared ground and masterwork equipment

« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 03:14:47 pm by nordak »
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7756 on: November 07, 2010, 03:37:51 pm »

Three caravans showed up (vamari, Frost Giants, and wolfmen (civ forge)) right into a two-squad goblin ambush. The giants managed to take down two or three of the gobs, and the wolfmen got another one. One of my marksdwarves caught one in the gut with a night crystal bolt, and my swordsdwarves managed to take down two more with limb removal. Unfortunately, the finely-crafted bright silver falchion and the artifact crucible steel one were unable to penetrate the gobbo's iron and bronze heavy lamellar armor, so they were unable to stem the flow. I lost four soldiers and about a dozen civilians before the gobs got bored and left.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7757 on: November 07, 2010, 03:58:07 pm »

Engraved on the wall is a superiorly designed image of Kadol Primechanneled the dwarf by Bembul Othilstukos.  Kadol Primechanneled is cooking.  The artwork relates to the masterful roast prepared by the dwarf Kadol Primechanneled for The Ring of Avalanches at Skinchambers in the late autom of 88.

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7758 on: November 07, 2010, 04:28:59 pm »

I love multi ambushes... sometimes they are so numerous they should be sieges... especially when they are elves.  Elves get cut down like butter...
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #7759 on: November 07, 2010, 04:30:39 pm »

I love multi ambushes... sometimes they are so numerous they should be sieges... especially when they are elves.  Elves get cut down like butter...

Had a fort go down to such an 'ambush' once. Three in a row, enough to be a siege.

Meanwhile, at Final Destination:

IT WOOOOORKEEEED!! IT FUCKING WOOOORKEEEEEEEEED!! Dug out a bigger soil slab and dropped it hard onto the aquifer opened using upward ramps. Once the displaced water cleared, I managed to dig through and found BAUXITE!! YEEHAW!!

Thikut Balbomrek has given birth to a boy. Baby boomers... or should I say baby doomers?
I'm now on my way to breaching the cotton candy.

Also, this embark is fucking awesome. It's got chalk, limonite, bituminous coal and tons of hematite and magnetite.

Atir Rithlorbam has given birth to a boy. I've never had so many births in any of my forts, too.

Breached the second cavern layer. It contains tons of zombie troglodytes. The miasma. Oh Armok the miasma.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 04:40:23 pm by NewSheoth »
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #7760 on: November 07, 2010, 04:34:24 pm »

Had a fort go down to such an 'ambush' once. Three in a row, enough to be a siege.

IT WOOOOORKEEEED!! IT FUCKING WOOOORKEEEEEEEEED!! Dug out a bigger soil slab and dropped it hard onto the aquifer opened using upward ramps. Once the displaced water cleared, I managed to dig through and found BAUXITE!! YEEHAW!!
Except that magma isn't allowed...

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #7761 on: November 07, 2010, 04:41:14 pm »

Except that magma isn't allowed...

So what? I have STONE now! And METAL! And bituminous coal. And over one hundred units of wood. And soon I will breach the cotton candy and free those dwarves from their misery.

Yet another marriage. Athel Stettaddodok the lye maker and Thikut Kilrudostuk the fisherdwarf. Also, the dwarven caravan has come. Expecting an ambush soonish.

Reached the magma sea. Can start looking for the cotton candy now.

A fey dwarf was saved just in time and produced a seemingly valuable artifact hatch cover, 'Gostangmor', The Awe-inspiring Temple. (seemingly because I don't have any nobles save for the expedition leader) Expecting a siege soonish.

Update: I HAVE DONE IT. Now, to wall off the entrance and to commence the breaching. We will be free soon.

Atir Oslanrinal has given birth to a girl. She won't live long, sadly. Poor, poor thing. Straight to dwarven heaven.

Almost finished the walling-off of the suicide fortress. One cat remains outside to tell the sad tale of the doomed dwarves.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 05:33:05 pm by NewSheoth »
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7762 on: November 07, 2010, 05:54:24 pm »

you really should have equipped 5 'rebels' in steel armor before breaching HFS and seen if they could have lived.
Nom nom nom

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #7763 on: November 07, 2010, 06:03:13 pm »

you really should have equipped 5 'rebels' in steel armor before breaching HFS and seen if they could have lived.

Can do.

On the other hand... too much work. I'm inclined to finish this today, and this would force me to start up the metal industry. I mostly dug straight for the cotton candy after I breached the aquifer.

The child that arrived with the last wave has been posessed and is now working on an artifact. Let's see what will be his final gift to the world.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 06:09:06 pm by NewSheoth »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7764 on: November 07, 2010, 06:04:53 pm »

Oh wow, what? You can breach aquifiers? I don't need to rely entirely on palm weapons? *headdesk* :P
Anyway, since my flooding-death-salvation plan didn't work, I've drafted all my useless and lazy dwarves into a squad known as The Fenced Chastity. They're my expendables... Been sending them out to keep the ever-troublesome zombie warthog numbers down.
...Damn warthogs, took out one of my dogs...
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #7765 on: November 07, 2010, 06:10:12 pm »

Oh wow, what? You can breach aquifiers? I don't need to rely entirely on palm weapons? *headdesk* :P
Anyway, since my flooding-death-salvation plan didn't work, I've drafted all my useless and lazy dwarves into a squad known as The Fenced Chastity. They're my expendables... Been sending them out to keep the ever-troublesome zombie warthog numbers down.
...Damn warthogs, took out one of my dogs...

It's just that I never breached them using soil. And in most cases, I could bypass them. Not this time though.

Get the warthogs!

The child has finished his artifact, a granite toy hammer named Vathebem, 'The Saturnine Flute'. With cut gem spikes.
Let's see how long will my entire fortress hold against the HFS.

And in the last possible moment, when everyone has already started marching into the mines clutching their weapon of choice...
Some migrants have arrived.
No doubt, they were sent here for moment killling.
Welcome aboard, guys and gals, we won't have enough time to get to know each other.

The group is leaving the entire fortress behind and walling itself in the adamantine-breaching mining shaft.

Update: Breached the clown car! Wish the dwarves luck, they're gonna need it!!

Update: Heavy fighting in the adamntine tube! Most of the demons are composed of snow, ash and vomit... a few posess deadly dust and poisonous blood, and there's a steam demon steaming everyone. Oddem Logemoltar gave birth to a boy right on the battlefield! 27 demons, 20 recruits down! Also three babies. Everyone is very unhappy, and the captain is throwing a tantrum... though he probably continues to punch demons anyway.

31-33!

The demons have pushed a group of dwarves into the far end of the mining shaft that discovered adamantine. The dwarves are backing off, even though there's no exit. Those who remained in the battle hall are dying valiantly.

The demons have finished the dwarves in the battle hall and are now bearing down on the ones retreating into the mining shaft. A lone donkey bravely charged the demons and was promptly struck down, though he did inspire several dwarves to hold their ground. Meanwhile, one of the recruits lost the ability to distinguish between friend and foe. Two of the other recruits entered a martial trance, like so many did before them down in the tube. The mayor started throwing a tantrum as children and babies were being cut down one by one, only to follow suit in an instant.
There's only 2 pages of demons now, but the last able-bodied, sane-minded dwarf has been struck down. Seven children still remained alive, and one of them peacefully fell asleep near the end of the mine shaft as the demons advanced. Fifty-four recruits lay motionless on the battlefield, and fifteen babies still remain near their mothers. Only thirty-six demons have crumbled to dust before their valiant last stand, yet it is enough to grant them absolution of the sins they were sent here for.
Hordes of poison, steam, brine, snow and vomit fiends lumbered down the tunnel as the children retreated further inside together with the herd of domestic animals. The one that fell asleep did not wake up even as the demons devoured him. The first half of the tunnel was slick from blood and bile. The demons continued to stomp, slither and skitter forward as less and less space remained behind the children's backs. The domestic animals dropped from exhaustion, giving in to their wounds and being consumed by the tide of demons shortly thereafter. A cat launched itself at the demons in a desperate leap to protect its master, but it was far from being enough. Soon the sounds of battle disappeared, and silence settled in the depths of the fortress. The sentence has been carried out.

The doomed yet defiant dwarves and non-dwarves of Final Destination:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That is all of them. In death, they have found absolution. [/drama]
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 08:24:32 pm by NewSheoth »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7766 on: November 07, 2010, 06:22:37 pm »

Fey Gem Setter mood created Foughtberry, an aventurine flask.
Encrusted with aventurine(he used three in the whole thing), decorated with cave spider silk(that was finely dyed midnight blue with dimple dye, but artifacts don't show it), encircled with bands aventurine, bauxite, limestone, and gypsum. Three artworks, two of ascensions of two dwarven kings, Zasit Lancebalded in 954(aventurine), and Id Coverpaddle in 698(chestnut), as well as the appointment of the goblin diplomat Amxu Malicleague in 361(birch), though it appears we have a different goblin as diplomat now in 1054.

Not the worst gem artifact.

We also got a decent-sized immigrant wave during Foughtberry's construction. Most of them are only good for haulers, which we sorta needed anyway.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7767 on: November 07, 2010, 06:25:57 pm »

My fisherdwarf is brain-damaged, from ages ago when one of my overzealous sherrifs (They never get boring!) broke her skull. Now she just sits there where she used to fish, quite content, and occasionally other dwarves take pity and feed her as she sits in a pile of her own waste. :P

Can you make your dwarves equip the toy hammer? That'd be awesome!! :D
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7768 on: November 07, 2010, 06:41:03 pm »

I heard the dwarf caravan approaching from beyond the mountain valley I call AbbeyAle. I was a hard first year, and I had compiled a list of goods that are sorely needed. Me and my fellow dwarfs hauled the great bins of crafts to the depot, and thought of the delicious sweetmeats we could purchase.

As the caravan approached I saw the liaison, and I waved to him from across the valley. But when he stepped across the threshold our our fort, he fell apart! Almost as if a blow from some past battle finally caught up with him! A terrible thing, being bisected, but at least me and the other dwarfs can get his +pig tail sock+!
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #7769 on: November 07, 2010, 06:43:17 pm »

On a current experimental fortress, I walled off the entire map edge with bridges so as to not be distracted by invaders, caravans, wild animals, diplomats, or immigrants.  Usually this results in nothing spawning.  This time, however, the outpost liaison and trade caravan spawned in the middle of the map.  Seriously, the camera went to the a spot in the middle of the embark site and I watched traders and animals materialize out of thin air.  And no, it's not a rectangular embark, it's a 3X3 map.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
Pages: 1 ... 516 517 [518] 519 520 ... 3839