Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 509 510 [511] 512 513 ... 3838

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5958881 times)

absynthe7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #7650 on: November 05, 2010, 09:36:01 am »

Hey, a kobold thief! I'll send my fledgeling military of a half-dozen dwarves after him, get some practice, y'know?

Oh. Kobold ambush. Two full squads of archers. Trapavoid archers.

The battle's going poorly, so I draft a few haulers and... wait, what? A goblin ambush? At the same time? Hey, the more the merrier, right?

"THE FORGOTTEN BEAST WHATSISNAME HAS ARRIVED. Also, please note the gap in the wall around your farms."

Um... okay, this might be getting a little out of ha-"Winter is upon you! AUTOSAVE!"

What.

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #7651 on: November 05, 2010, 09:41:07 am »

Hey, a kobold thief! I'll send my fledgeling military of a half-dozen dwarves after him, get some practice, y'know?

The battle's going poorly, so I draft a few haulers and... wait, what? A goblin ambush? At the same time? Hey, the more the merrier, right?

"THE FORGOTTEN BEAST WHATSISNAME HAS ARRIVED. Also, please note the gap in the wall around your farms."

Um... okay, this might be getting a little out of ha-"Winter is upon you! AUTOSAVE!"

What.

The English language cannot accurately describe how hard I LOLed.  :D

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7652 on: November 05, 2010, 09:41:34 am »

What.
Sounds like you get to have Fun.

The fort on the computer I'm currently on has died due to FPS issues. I knew I shouldn't have breached that aquifer, then drained it into the cavern.... New fort time, though.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Herbiie

• Bay Watcher
  • Loyal Unto Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7653 on: November 05, 2010, 09:44:28 am »

What.

Time to batten down the hatches & hide mebbe? :)
The once dark-grey walls are now the dark brown of stained blood. At either side of the path leading to the great granite gates is covered with the corpses and skeletons of Goblin invaders.
Some are still fresh. One is still moving.
As you approach the gate a nervous guard looses a bolt in your direction. Silence... Slowly, gradually, the huge doors screech open. Inside there is a courtyard, the floor wet with blood. Welcome to the front-line. Welcome; to Cloisteredwood.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7654 on: November 05, 2010, 09:50:56 am »

Obsidian production is salvageable, with time and effort, time and effort that will yield more obsidian. I really need more quantity controls on those magma and water outputs; the shaft was built to contain 10 levels of fluids but I didn't expect it to be fully filled this time.

Meanwhile, a fire man got loose while I was distracted. Found his head separated from his body in the magma channel, so that's taken care of. One war dog and a giant leopard dead, and a long trail of smoke leads to an elephant on fire. Spraying blood and burning. I couldn't pick him out of the pit list; I guess killing a fire man doesn't rate you a name; so I had all war elephants thrown into the indoor pool. A nurse burned up trying to lead him to water, along with her baby. O hell.

So all I can do is watch and hope he enters a room I can forbid the door on. No other flaming screaming deaths for now, but all it takes is for him to wander across the more crowded pathways and someone will eventually share a tile with him and become a walking torch.

EDIT: Huh. I guess I should expect that alcohol is combustible. I just saw a barrel of sunshine explode out of the still this elephant was hanging around, and amazingly no one was injured.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 10:22:49 am by Uzu Bash »

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7655 on: November 05, 2010, 10:24:55 am »

What.

Crouched near the campfire, the goblin drew a crude map in the muddy soil, then looked at his guest. « If we charge in, the traps here will butcher us. So, d’ya ‘bolds have any way to draw them out ?
- Traps ? Feh ! » scoffed the kobold shaman, his crest clicking as he shaked his head. « Traps are no trouble for kobold ! Ichilzikkys here enter any fortress, trap or not. He enters, he stabs a dwarf, he runs. Not run too fast, so even the steelskins can follow.
- And then you guys pincushion them from here, and... here. If they run, you follow them while firing in their backs, and you open the doors for us. If they charge, My swordgoblins will leap from cover to engage them and protect yah scaly hides.
- Steelskin warriors will not flee. They not know how to. They not right in head. But if they close doors while we ... pin-caution the warriors, what we do ? Steel armor and weapons is good, but the shiny stuff and the food are inside. And the stout ones can build more steelskins if we not kill them all. If we not kill them all, we never take back the land they stole. »
The goblin bandit leader grinned, and looked at a clay idol above the campfire. An eldritch horror from times past, that the goblins did worship since the Dawn. If you knew the right sacrifices, the right rituals, at the right time, even the gods could becom weapon of war. « I have already a... plan for this. The dwarves will regret that there are no more exits to their fortress. Just make sure that your ‘bolds are ready to strike during winter solstice night... So do we have an alliance with you lizards, or not ? »

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7656 on: November 05, 2010, 11:29:09 am »

I wonder at what point of total immolation the lack of oxygen becomes a problem. The elephant suffocated with no futher deaths, though the loss of two barrels of sunshine is a shame. I forbid the corpse, though it's probably good eating, and every door leading to it until the flames die down.

Herbiie

• Bay Watcher
  • Loyal Unto Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7657 on: November 05, 2010, 11:52:10 am »

forbid the corpse, though it's probably good eating,

Ready cooked Elephant? Yum!
The once dark-grey walls are now the dark brown of stained blood. At either side of the path leading to the great granite gates is covered with the corpses and skeletons of Goblin invaders.
Some are still fresh. One is still moving.
As you approach the gate a nervous guard looses a bolt in your direction. Silence... Slowly, gradually, the huge doors screech open. Inside there is a courtyard, the floor wet with blood. Welcome to the front-line. Welcome; to Cloisteredwood.

pixl97

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7658 on: November 05, 2010, 12:27:04 pm »

Pesor Nod arrvies at Oddomsubil. He surveys what once was a beautiful bluff by the river. Now it is a scene of wreckage and ruin. A narrow path filled with boulders covered in the blue blood of trolls marks the way. What comes next is more more disturbing. Arms, legs, head, guts, random piles of unidentifiable goo. A torso is hanging on the edge of a wall a few stories high. As if the ghastly sight wasn't enough a trolls body explodes in a cloud of purple gas, splattering the pack animals in putrid pus. Thoughts of turning around and leaving this forsaken place crossed his mind, but it was the kings mandate that he must go on. The king did not take kindly to his mandates being broken except under the most dire circumstances.

From the mist he spotted his first dwarf, then another, and even more! Fifty dwarves labored away, picking up body parts and singing

"Oh yo, oh yo, over the cliff the filth must go"
"We watch them burn in the magma flow"

As He passed the work crew the cliff sang about came in to view. A heart stopping drop beside the road. Far below a huge cloud of smoke and steam roiled. In between the bursts the red glow of molten rock shown through. Just then a scream fills the air, echoing on the canyon walls. A fat dwarf kicks a goblin bowman off the cliff. He screams all the way down to the cloud of smoke, then and errie silence fills the air. He walks on, tempered in his willpower. His course is set.

The Great Bismuth of Oddomsubil lay before him. So bright pink in color it was hard to look at. After all the terror he had past, he had to laugh, only the dwarves would build something so bold and silly. The worst was behind him. Now all he had to do was wrap up a little diplomacy. The entire earth shook. A great horn blew. The bridge he had just crossed recoiled in to the ground at lightning speed. Dwarves grabbed swords, axes, and hammers, running toward the entrance of the mountain home.

"A great beast has invaded the caverns!, blood boils all it touches!"

Pesor knew it had to be a Monday.

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #7659 on: November 05, 2010, 12:33:20 pm »

Some hunter got killed by a fire man. Fortunately, some diligent dwarf thought to fetch his still-burning corpse and leave it in my barracks for the soldiers to admire.

Most of the smoke is gone now, though the world's still on fire up above.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 12:52:00 pm by Quantum Toast »
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

Megaman3321

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm everywhere but this Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7660 on: November 05, 2010, 12:40:30 pm »

I struck GOLD, BABY! :D I'll have plenty of sarcophagi for the next ambush. And colden splints. And tables. Made by the legendary blacksmith who made an artifact platinum hatch cover worth over 100,000 dorfbucks. I also have acess to marble, a FLUX stone, but pig iron doesn't show up to be made! >:( Until I figure out what's wrong, my militia will still be armed with iron. :'(
Glacial on dwarves being assigned socks:
You see, here's how I think this works:
Overseer: Welcome to the military! You need to wear socks! Dorf: Oh, I should get military socks. My socks are civilian socks. Dorf discards socks Dorf: You know, I need a whole lot of gear now. I should get socks... last. Oh, but these steel boots with the white goo on them are nice!
I know you can pick up water, then throw said water, while underwater, to kill a fish -He_Silent_H

absynthe7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7661 on: November 05, 2010, 12:47:39 pm »

Okay.

So, my poorly-trained militia killed enough kobolds to scare them off before the goblins killed them all. The goblins then charged into my poorly-trapped entryway and suffered just enough casualties to be forced to retreat (hooray for cage traps), and as they fled the map they were promptly slaughtered by the skeletal camels that have terrorized my fort from day 1.

Meanwhile, the Forgotten Beast wanders around the caverns while my one able-bodied speardwarf guards the farms. My other dwarves are scrambling to get weapons from their fallen comrades before joining him. I've dropped from 26 dwarves to 15.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got a Forgotten Beast to kill.

It. Is. On.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7662 on: November 05, 2010, 12:55:19 pm »

I struck GOLD, BABY! :D I'll have plenty of sarcophagi for the next ambush. And colden splints. And tables. Made by the legendary blacksmith who made an artifact platinum hatch cover worth over 100,000 dorfbucks. I also have acess to marble, a FLUX stone, but pig iron doesn't show up to be made! >:( Until I figure out what's wrong, my militia will still be armed with iron. :'(

Lack of coal? That's everything I think can be wrong with pig iron not showing up.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7663 on: November 05, 2010, 01:10:23 pm »

I struck GOLD, BABY! :D I'll have plenty of sarcophagi for the next ambush. And cgolden splints. And tables.

You strike gold, and the FIRST thing you think of to make with it is coffins? Only in DF.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7664 on: November 05, 2010, 01:13:53 pm »

Hey, don't laugh, I'm running out of coffins because the damn dorfs won't pop 'em faster than they die! All they do fast is making engravings of goblins and humans killing dwarves.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.
Pages: 1 ... 509 510 [511] 512 513 ... 3838