Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 507 508 [509] 510 511 ... 3838

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5966046 times)

Nas92

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #7620 on: November 04, 2010, 02:03:21 pm »

Well, my second goblin siege came and it was quite chaotic and fun. Two trolls got caught in cage traps the others were kind enough to move under one of my drawbridges. Because there was a dwarven caravan in my fort, I couldn't just wait it out or play around with some stuff. I had to make sure they survive. So I quickly told my civilians to stay in the dining hall while I stationed my usable military force - 9 Axe Lords and 5 Marksdwarves, and there was the caravan guard, as well - to defend the area around the drawbridge I was about to lower. Well, I lowered the thing and got assaulted, of course. Things were looking good the goblins were getting killed fast, only one Axe Lord dead. Then I realized what was about to screw me over royally. The ponds. Enemy and my own dwarves alike were knocked into them. I had to act fast. So, I did what was the only sensible thing - start digging towards the ponds so I can free my dwarves. Of course this meant a little bit of flooding. Here's what the first level of my fortress looks like at the moment.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
At least the water flowing down the stairs creates mist which makes the dwarves happy.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7621 on: November 04, 2010, 02:17:57 pm »

So I managed to catch and tame a bunch of Derpicorns, of both the normal and firebreathing varieties. I chucked the normal ones into a pit so they could breed, and then turned the firebreathing ones into "Stray war Flaming Derpicorn"s.

And thus led to the story of the slaying of Godum Ebtig Onameshgor, Forgotten Beast.

Earlier, I had busted into the caverns by accident while mining. I walled them off, and this FB showed up. No big deal, he can't get me anyways.
Well, after a while, I decide to open up the caverns for hunting and stuff, since I have a military dwarf being followed by 8 fat firebreathing beasts of death. I had forgotten about the FB, and managed to "remember" it after it had slain 3 of the more useless dwarves of the fort. So I sent in the military dorf to take him out.
Urist McMilitaryDorf died. His derpicorns did not. I didn't manage to follow the whole battle, but it ended with the FB being torched half to death, then finished off with a clean horn-stab that removed its head.

I think I still have a few adjustments to make to these critters...
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7622 on: November 04, 2010, 02:21:11 pm »

My lord Fikod Ozkakonal,

My name is Minkut Guiltflute, I am the 5th expedition leader of The Labrynthine Chamber.  I fear we will not survive the next 2 month's until your majesties envoy arrives.  I am writing this from my bedside as a Ogre has shattered my spine. The others I fear are not doing much better, with the doctor attempting to fix my back having two broken legs, and our now legendary axe dwarf not being able to weild his axe as both arms have been dismembered.  The three remaining abled bodied men are now trying to hold off seven harpies and I fear the worst.  If no one is here to bear witness to the gruesome battles please know that we have fought valiantly to the end.

Sincerly,
Minkut Guiltflute
5th expedition leader
The L(unfinished)

(Dwarf Blood Covering)
(Dwarf blood splatter)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 02:23:34 pm by nordak »
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."

Devstorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7623 on: November 04, 2010, 02:50:18 pm »

Ug. My furnace operator was taken with a sudden fey mood. She took over the craftsdwarf's shop, baby and all, and I thought it was going to be fine. I killed a dog to get her the bones she needed, but apparently there was something else and my dwarves were slow to get what was needed. She went berserk and proceeded to kill her baby and various other dwarves in the vicinity. Finally a hunter took her on, and after turning her into a pin cushion and taking some damage himself, killed her.

It was just really depressing watching her punch her baby. I think I'm going to turn off moods for my next fortress.

Tupu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7624 on: November 04, 2010, 02:51:50 pm »

My first ever (If I remember correctly) megabeast. The Dragon, Uslat Ngobzangu Sloronslakga.

Time to train my swordsdwarves...

On another note, I don't want to make a new thread just to ask this: With what part do I connect to a vertical axle one z-level up?
"Histories of Greed and Labor"

Tupu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7625 on: November 04, 2010, 03:04:12 pm »

My first ever (If I remember correctly) megabeast. The Dragon, Uslat Ngobzangu Sloronslakga.

Time to train my swordsdwarves...

On another note, I don't want to make a new thread just to ask this: With what part do I connect to a vertical axle one z-level up?

EDIT: Confronting the Dragon. First fire blast apparently caused spine injuries to three of my 5 dwarves, and one has his head being bitten.
"Histories of Greed and Labor"

Herbiie

• Bay Watcher
  • Loyal Unto Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7626 on: November 04, 2010, 04:08:42 pm »

Made some Screenshots of my Above Ground Marble Fort "Drilledstoackades" in the Stone Sense thing:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The once dark-grey walls are now the dark brown of stained blood. At either side of the path leading to the great granite gates is covered with the corpses and skeletons of Goblin invaders.
Some are still fresh. One is still moving.
As you approach the gate a nervous guard looses a bolt in your direction. Silence... Slowly, gradually, the huge doors screech open. Inside there is a courtyard, the floor wet with blood. Welcome to the front-line. Welcome; to Cloisteredwood.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7627 on: November 04, 2010, 05:02:07 pm »

I accidentally Runesmithed myself into an endless siege.  However, I don't have the patience to abandon and reclaim again;  I guess I'm just done with trade for good.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7628 on: November 04, 2010, 05:04:44 pm »

Bridge traps are now my new favorite trap. I got one 2x10 bridge going down a 2 wide corridor with pressure plates at one end. The bridge covers a simple 2 z-level pit with water from an aquifer taking up the bottom z-level. Gobbies cross the bridge, the bridge automatically retracts, gobbies take a swim.

I would say there's no weapon traps to clean but periodically the gobbies trip the two pressure plates in such a way that they get a small window of opportunity to get across the bridge. So a 2x2 array of weapon traps at the end takes care of any riff-raff that happens to make it through.

At the very least I think the bridge trap is a suitable replacement for stone-fall traps which are pretty much useless. All it requires is six mechanisms, some stone for the bridge, and a bit of digging. I think for my next fortress I'll just have a 1 z deep pit so the gobbies survive. There's just something entertaining about them all running around in a small room with no way out.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7629 on: November 04, 2010, 09:21:34 pm »

Roldethnasod... Has... Fallen.

I never got to see what my posessed mason was working on, as my very first goblin attack happened while he was sitting there muttering. Of course, my dwarves, brave as they are, refused to follow the tactics I gave them.
My manager and broker I commanded to hide themselves in the deepest caves in the fortress, but instead of travelling belowground as I'd wished, they wandered above ground, to some small tunnel I'd forgotten about, and charged at the vicious invading army of goblins.
Cursing madly, I sent two of my squads, who I'd had stationed by my fortress ready to defend from the goblins, in to rescue them... The rescue mission was not a success. With pretty much all of them dead, I moved the rest of my dwarves up into the tower, as it was more defensible than my main caves, and at that moment a caravan from the mountainhomes arrived!
For a moment it seemed like they would save the fortress, they slaughtered goblins left and right, wiping out most of the goblin force to the west, killing almost all the spearmen except for Bosa Snanggaxu, the Dreaded Nail of action.
Well, I thought perhaps I'd survive then, but the merchants, after driving the goblins away from the trade depot, simply set up shop and sat there, sticking arrows in any goblins who got too close. The goblins regrouped on the eastern side of the hill containing my fortress, the remaining spearmen as well as a newly-arrived force of goblin lashers.
So the brave, but kinda dumb and poorly equipped dwarves of Roldethnasod were in the tower... Waiting for death.
I sent out my (supposedly) best squad, lead by my militia commander, wielding some of the few metal weapons I had, to try and fight a path through the goblins to the trade depot, but they were slaughtered pathetically.
Well, the goblins went down the path into my fortress, killing the guard vulture (sob) and moved inside to attack a few wounded dwarves resting in there.
I sent the remainder of my dwarves in the tower to flee to the trade depot, and the dwarven caravan guards, but the goblins gave chase...
It was intense to watch, as my dwarves ran towards the depot, with the caravan guards firing bolts past them into the goblins... And it almost paid off. The goblins ran off after most of them died, sadly not including their leader, but I only had three dwarves left, all grieviously wounded, and the last one standing simply wandered back into my (blood-spattered and full of dead) fortress and fell into a coma. And didn't wake up.

Well, that was exciting! The first time anything's attacked one of my forts. :D
I'm sure that if I still had my OLD sheriff and militia commander, (Not to mention the 20+ dwarves they killed when they went beserk) I would have blitzed through those goblins, and wouldn't have even needed the dwarven caravan.  ::)

Amusingly, whilst the wholescale slaughter was going on, one of my tame donkeys, while she was being stabbed to death by goblin spears, gave birth.  :P Anyway, overall, that was awesome fun! Time to adventure-mode my way along and see what's left!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7630 on: November 04, 2010, 09:25:19 pm »

Well the Darnen finally got bored of milling around in Old Townbrush looking for Dwarves to kill and left the map. But they will come back. They always do. Because of this, I'm not going to open the path to the surface. New Townbrush is to fragile. I will not let them out until all of my dwarves are highly skilled fighters, or some migrants arrive. Who will then be sealed down in New Townbrush along with them. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Currently everyone is living off the plump helmets my farmer is picking out of the underground forest. However, he keeps picking a large amount of dimple cups rather than plump helmets, which is pretty annoying. But with only 5 dwarves to feed, this shouldn't be a problem. The only major problem I see at the moment is my mayor, who also happens to be my militia commander. She is miserable, and only gets worse as time goes by. Mainly because her mandates keep being ignored. This leads to her getting upset about the "criminal" not getting punished, so it's just an endless spiral into depression. And if she goes berserk.....well, I'm not sure 4 unskilled dwarves can stop a berserk adamantine-clad soldier. Even if she did use to be a lowly farmer.

But other than that, things are just peachy.  ::)
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7631 on: November 04, 2010, 09:31:41 pm »

One of my homegrown Macelords, a Leatherworker, struck with a mood! I don't have a legendary for leather yet, and the girl's already got some insanely high attributes, mighty, indefatiguable, and very agile, and Datan Razorpelt the Armored Machine of the Abyss is a name that can't get enough fame. So let's see what happens.

First thing I did was unforbid the forgotten beast leather and forbid all others because this is exactly what I had it reserved for. Hm, how much do I want to exploit this? Ready for a savescum if necessary -- you can make hundreds of masterwork forgotten beast meals and hundreds of masterwork forgotten beast bone bolts, but you only get one skull and one hide -- I tracked her every move to and from the workshop.

She next picked up tiger shark leather -- very cool, that was my first choice until I saw the FB skin waiting in stock. Then she collected bars of electrum; I think I would've preferred black bronze for the coolness quotient, but electrum is very nice. In fact it's the bedrock of our city, we really owe our success to the export of it, so it should be commemorated in every artifact possible. Well, that and magma.

Now the crystal opal -- very pretty, excellent value, and there's still plenty more sitting in the jeweler's shop. Ah, more electrum -- look there's black bronze just sitting there, and what could be cooler than tigershark leather studded in black bronze? Less value, but I think the tradeoff for a badassed aesthetic is well worth it. Oh well, I let it go. Rough sunstone next, fresh out of the rock this season, and she walked a looong way for that.

Caverns collapsing, blah blah, that's magma falling into water in a contained shaft, don't bug me. Dipshit masons starving in the walls they built -- goddamn it, I'm watching history unfold, can't you finish your fucking work without the handholding? Dogs and farmers bleed to death from FB puddles -- alright, there's coffins to go around for both, just let me see this artifact finished!

When she went for the electrum yet again, that's when I had to take action. That black bronze is going into this artifact, dammit! I forbid every metal bar but the black bronze, and she tracked it down without incident. It so happens that she likes black bronze, so I regret not having more of it. More electrum after that; it's turning out to be a lot of metal for a leatherwork. Another long trek for sunstone -- hadn't even started the cutters working on those, so take 'em.

Now marble blocks -- Strifebust has more then enough marble to unrestrict it long ago, and it's very symbolic as the backbone of our steel industry. Hey, moody Macelord coming through, if you don't want a war elephant thrown at you by the tusk, clear a goddamn path! Then there's the backbones of the goblins, but those get burned up in magma or carved into crossbow bolts...is that the obsidian factory overflowing? Ah, masons, did you make sure to do everything the hard way? Fukkit, I've got an artifact to witness, I'll deal with it later.

The mysterious contruction begins!

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #7632 on: November 04, 2010, 09:45:31 pm »

I have made good progress on the mining out of every wall, staircase, and any other supporting structure on the bottom floor of the goblin building which, inexplicably, has far more humans than goblins. Apparently the goblins have done much kidnapping.

I am greatly curious as to whether or not there will be any survivors trapped within the rubble.

Update: Mining complete! My computer is struggling to process the collapse and is presumably cursing my name. Boy do I hope the game doesn't crash.

Update: It crashed. Screw it. I was planning on deleting all my genned worlds and starting fresh anyway.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 10:06:40 pm by Samuel »

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7633 on: November 04, 2010, 09:46:41 pm »

Oh, immedeatly after making my last post, some migrants arrived! Only 4 of them, but I'll take anything I can get at this point.

Upon arriving at Townbrush, the migrants had to break down a wall to get into the fort. A ramp was constructed, allowing them access to New Townbrush. They were greeted by the sight of the forge master collapsing to the ground, screaming in pain as blisters covered every inch of his body, before they all burst causing him to bleed to death in a matter of seconds. So in less than 10 minutes they already got a clear message showing them how fucked they are.

I don't know what killed the Forgemaster. I'm guessing it was fun related to Forgotten Beast syndromes. I guess as long as everyone keeps their shoes on they should be okay, though the same can't be said for the pets the migrants brought along. The only benefit of this is that now my mayor has one less "criminal" to complain about.

EDIT: Oh, one of the migrants just suffered the same fate.

This does not bode well.

EDIT 2: OH GOD NOW THE FARMER IS SICK TO. WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON.

EDIT: Oh christ everyone is dying. There are only 4 Dwarves left. Again. What the fuck am I supposed to do about this
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 09:59:00 pm by Internet Kraken »
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7634 on: November 04, 2010, 10:26:16 pm »

...I had locked all of the Derpicorns in a room to breed.

I quickly realized.... they breed FAST.

I am now opening the door to the (almost literal) avalanche of derpicorns and their foals. I also have 3 butchery shops going to get rid of them all.

....Oh look, the Derpicorns just overrode my farming area. And the herd... it's... massive....

TONIGHT, WE DROWN IN MEAT
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.
Pages: 1 ... 507 508 [509] 510 511 ... 3838