Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 504 505 [506] 507 508 ... 3838

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5962567 times)

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #7575 on: November 03, 2010, 04:42:01 pm »

I thought I'd hook my guard unit up with a battle, just as an exercise in not being totally useless. With a troll. And yeah, with their wooden training weapons. When the civilian schmuck came in (oh hi, Ms Mayor!) I sealed the doors, but forgot about the as-yet-unhatched downward ramp into their mess hall, and let the beatdown begin.

They were surprisingly effective, leaving him in too much pain to put up a decent counter. The poor bastard scrambled the only way he could, while everyone gave chase, drubbing him with their shinai. One of the better wrestlers gave him a good charge and knocked him down to the courtyard. Before he got up off the ground, three war dogs, a giant leopard and two war elephants grabbed every limb he had and yanked. Blue blood everywhere!

What fun. I think I'll let them do this again sometime.

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #7576 on: November 03, 2010, 05:16:11 pm »

my embark is not quite all the way optimal.

I abandoned the fort early on.  I was looking for a glitch-raised volcano and this one wasn't part of 'em.

Now, THIS one...

« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 05:25:26 pm by Shurikane »

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7577 on: November 03, 2010, 05:20:56 pm »

My newest embark has four mountains, with a small gap between each one.

The center one is a volcano... I think this will be a mountain fort.
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7578 on: November 03, 2010, 06:00:20 pm »

Now, THIS one...
I'm not familiar with the tileset; I guess the red would be magma and the blue more than 2 z-level drop, but what the heck are you standing on?

I think you should fire your tour guide....

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7579 on: November 03, 2010, 06:17:01 pm »

Dragonland's symbol is cave spiders.
How nice, seeing as I am exporting cloth.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7580 on: November 03, 2010, 06:32:42 pm »

I'm finally starting to get the hang of this game. Choosing an embark with a good sedimentary layer results in a lot more coal and iron ore.

anyways, when I moved my trade depot to a safer place (inside), apparently the elf merchants never got the message. A few years now they've been hanging out where the old depot was. I'm just waiting for them to die of starvation and cause a elf massacre, but they never got thirsty and I haven't seen any other elves yet...

I think I'm going to name them like pets.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7581 on: November 03, 2010, 06:52:22 pm »

anyways, when I moved my trade depot to a safer place (inside), apparently the elf merchants never got the message.
Shift-D, dude. Make sure they have the access. Maybe it's a bug, but these wagonless caravans have to have that to know your depot location at least the first time. After that, they'll bring their pack animals through cramped corridors to reach it.

EDIT: My first cavern has a 1 z-level space where there are now 3 forgotten beasts trapped between tower-caps and fungiwood. And I'd like to dig them out to do battle, I really would, except that one has been non-stop blasting his 'noxious secretions!' If all that does is give you a little motion sickness, or the eternal stench of goat-flatuence in your nostrils, then I'd brave it. But until I know what it is, there's no way in hell I'm exposing my fortress to it. I may just cut a t-shape out of the ceiling, let it drop, build a support there and rebuild a floor in the same shape so I can do it again as needed.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 07:09:46 pm by Uzu Bash »

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7582 on: November 03, 2010, 07:25:53 pm »

My fortress has crumbled to it's end. Two goblin ambushes blew by my defenses and swiftly slew almost all 30 of my dwarves. The remaining three died from infection, thirst and loss of sanity.

On the plus side I got a chance to test out a bridge trap. It worked quite well on a goblin kidnapper but the ambushers moved too fast for the pressure plates to trigger while they were on the bridge. I'll need to either extend the length or move the pressure plates further away for my next one.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7583 on: November 03, 2010, 09:06:55 pm »

I've got way too many legendary gemcutters and gemsetters. A fortress only needs one of each, better if they're the same dwarf. So I set them all on mechanics duty, assigned them two war animals each because they'll be reloading cage traps in the jungle, and set up a dabbling - skilled mechanics shop. I also set up a stockpile of standard quality mechanics that I want the late magma pile to take from as soon as it's clear.

I know mechanisms are high value, but really; that much? I'd rather dump these, but I also have a backload of bodies in this massive ditch, and I'm dumping inferior siege components in the same sluice. I don't want to slow down my depot runs with these, but if stone mechanisms turn into relentless blobs in magma, then I'm going to have to sell them instead.

EDIT: The depot is only slightly closer than the magma sluice. If nothing else I can get late depot runs to clear it out and cram it into the depot, but considering the number of mechanics I'm going to be training here, there's going to be a lot of standard quality mechs left over, and I don't think I have a choice but to destroy them. It's a bit of an exploit, but I may have to look into atom smashing.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 09:12:28 pm by Uzu Bash »

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7584 on: November 03, 2010, 09:28:08 pm »

After thirteen years of occasionally demanding crutches, my rather cool mayor got in a mood, screamed "ALLA YOU FOOKERS OUTTA ME CARPENTER SHOP" and made himself THE MOST BADASS CRUTCH, Ishash Ziksis "The Cusp of Splitting"! It menaces with spikes of phantom spider silk.  I do not know what is up with that.  But yes.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7585 on: November 03, 2010, 10:05:36 pm »

I *adore* my sheriff! Not only do I relate to their likes etc., but when my militia captain chucks a tanty and destroys a farm plot? Does he get a cuff over the head? Noooo, my sherrif waltzes up, wags a finger, and carves chunks out of him with a battle-axe. I'm totally giving her better quarters, for that. <3 :D
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7586 on: November 04, 2010, 12:13:27 am »

I *adore* my sheriff! Not only do I relate to their likes etc., but when my militia captain chucks a tanty and destroys a farm plot? Does he get a cuff over the head? Noooo, my sherrif waltzes up, wags a finger, and carves chunks out of him with a battle-axe. I'm totally giving her better quarters, for that. <3 :D
And this is how you tell the logical DF player from the slightly deranged one. The logical player gets mad when the sheriff cuts bits out of a dwarf - after all, more dwarfpower for hauling/megaprojects is always a good thing. The deranged player finds the most badass dwarf, gives them a masterwork axe, and see how many chops it takes to get rid of the mayor.

On-topic: Starting yet another mod-test fort. This one's main exports will be cloth and Derpicorn bits. Because the poor Derpicorns are still too obese for their own good. And, for some reason, they don't attack back - even the ones that can BREATHE FIRE. Also, it would appear that none of the changing of my modded raws have un-broken woodcutting. So, for now, I'll live with it.

On the plus side, I can currently feed my dwarves for a year with a single derpicorn kill. +Derpicorn sweetbread biscuits [739]+, anyone?
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7587 on: November 04, 2010, 12:13:46 am »

I tend to give custom profession names to most of my dwarves to help me tell them apart. My Planter/Butcher is called a Rancher, my Carpenter/Mason/Architect is called an Architect, and my Brewer/Expedition Leader is known as the Brewmaster. On the military side of things, I give my dwarves ranks to tell me what sort of skills they have. Marshals are in charge of the army, Captains and Lieutenants are important fighters, and Privates are nothing more than Troll Fodder; unwanted migrants with no useful military or civilian skills above Novice.

During the second year of my fort, I was informed that one of my Privates had gotten a secretive mood. At first I groaned, expecting him to grab a craftsdwarf's shop and make a useless idol or something. Not so. It turns out he was actually a Novice Weaver, and proceeded to make my a cave spider silk thong. Not very tasteful, but I was plesantly surprised that I now had a Legendary Weaver among my dwarves, who I sent to go collect webs and make some high-quality cloth.

Sometime later I got another migrant wave. Most were Private material, but one among them was a High Master Dyer. That was pretty cool, as he could dye the exceptional cloth my legendary weaver was cranking out. I set a workshop up for him and started shifting some of my farms over to cloth and dye production. Fast forward another year, and my second strange mood also happens to a Private. This time he is a Novice Clothier, and makes a rather valuable rope out of the nice dyed cloth I had sitting around - but that is not the important thing.

I am in the second year of my fort, and I now have a Legendary Weaver, a High Master Dyer, and a Legendary Clothier.

Clothesmaking Industry, anyone?
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7588 on: November 04, 2010, 12:21:06 am »

Actually, I rescind what I said in my last post about a single derpicorn kill feeding my dwarves for a year.

It could feed them for MILLENIA.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The joys of modding...

Oh, and I figured out that my civ's leader is a "Queen/Drunk".
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

TheJackal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7589 on: November 04, 2010, 12:26:26 am »

I have a volcano at the center of my map, the aquifer origin for a river oh, and the summit is nothing but sand for the first two z-levels.

I'm going to coat the entire map in green glass. Everything in the fort that can be made of glass will be made of glass. All doors, glass. Studded with glass. Tables? Glass. Floors - paved with glass. Etc.

If I could mod a glass RAW even beds and barrels and bins and armor and weapons would be glass.  Mechanisms. I'd even make glass plump helmets.

Glassfort!
Pages: 1 ... 504 505 [506] 507 508 ... 3838