Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 501 502 [503] 504 505 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5969644 times)

Deviled

• Bay Watcher
  • Yup
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #7530 on: November 02, 2010, 11:02:31 am »

All I have is a Clothes person with a fey mood, a semi-successful hospital and a dead body in the water supply.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #7531 on: November 02, 2010, 11:09:07 am »

I've come to the realization that no matter what I do, the Darnen will always screw me over. Even if the siege breaker was completed, their flying would negate it. The only way I will ever be able to survive their onslaught is through the use of a military. And the Townbrush military has a record for fucking up constantly. I can't really rely on a handful of badasses to defend the fort when they could all drown to death in a single day.

Therefore, I have only one option; to value quantity of quality. I have drafted every single dwarf, aside from one lowly farmer, into the military. When more migrants come, they shall also be drafted. I will continue drafting soldiers, regardless of the equipment available, until I have an army large enough to overcome the Darnen through sheer numbers. It is a crude and bloody solution to the problem, but the only one that has any chance of working. This is how Townbrush survived in its very first year. Our trained military could not overcome the Ogres, but 10 angry peasants swarming an ogre would inevitably bring it down. The same principle can be applied to any army.

That is assuming New Townbrush can survive long enough to get any migrants. We have next to no food and booze available at the moment.
May i suggest waiting for an artifact crossbow and then train a military dwarf to use it? Artifact crossbows i believe seem to act similarly to machine guns.

Herbiie

• Bay Watcher
  • Loyal Unto Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7532 on: November 02, 2010, 11:14:06 am »

My guys area all dieing of thirst. Great. You would of thought they could drink snow or melt some ice...
HALLELUJAH! A caravan. Stolen all their stuff now :D
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 11:19:35 am by Herbiie »
The once dark-grey walls are now the dark brown of stained blood. At either side of the path leading to the great granite gates is covered with the corpses and skeletons of Goblin invaders.
Some are still fresh. One is still moving.
As you approach the gate a nervous guard looses a bolt in your direction. Silence... Slowly, gradually, the huge doors screech open. Inside there is a courtyard, the floor wet with blood. Welcome to the front-line. Welcome; to Cloisteredwood.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7533 on: November 02, 2010, 12:16:38 pm »

May i suggest waiting for an artifact crossbow and then train a military dwarf to use it? Artifact crossbows i believe seem to act similarly to machine guns.

Several artifact weapons have come out of my fort. Most have been useless (adamantine warhammer? Fuck you), but a few were very good. Know were they are now? The bottom of the ocean. Most dwarves fall off the fort into the water below, and subsequently take all of their gear with them. So relying on any artifact weapon is a path destined for failure, given the high mortality rate of the fortress guard. I wouldn't be surprised if I lost it within a month of being made.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7534 on: November 02, 2010, 12:20:27 pm »

If you have magma, getting them back should be no real problem.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #7535 on: November 02, 2010, 12:22:14 pm »

If you have magma, getting them back should be no real problem.
Unless the crossbow was like, made of guts or something.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7536 on: November 02, 2010, 12:58:17 pm »

I'm up to my eyeballs in sphalerite. Zinc bins are lighter than lead, but not by much; my haulers would probably kill for some aluminum. After the mountainhome liaison stopped making deals, they also stopped bringing demanded goods, like aluminum and bins and bins of leather and cloth, bins which were made of wood.

Looks like I'm going to have to break down and spend my wood reserves on bins. I just wonder how the hell I'm going to cycle out these heavy-ass zinc bins, now that they've become ubiquitous.

Xupurec

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7537 on: November 02, 2010, 01:55:44 pm »

Was busy making armor for my newly formed military whenever someone decided to steal the magma forge and make this
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This is the first good mood so far in my current fort

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7538 on: November 02, 2010, 02:24:47 pm »

It is 269; I had started shortly after 250. The only civilizations besides mine (The Eternal Chambers) and that of the goblins (The Singed Dungeons) were unimportant beastmen.
Suddenly, a human caravan appears. Wait, what?
At some point during the last month, The Oracular Confederacies appeared.
I survived long enough to witness the birth of an organized nation.
 :-X  :'(
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 04:44:39 pm by Musashi »
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Killing Time

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7539 on: November 02, 2010, 03:09:03 pm »

Had my first flooding accident while expanding my well today: The typical didn't-pay-attention-to-what-was-under-the-channeling deal.
It was made frustrating by the fact that while dwarves will gladly charge into the torrent to put floating barrels back into place(only to have the barrels pushed away again a second later), they refuse to put the doors in if there's a foot of water in the way.
Then while channeling a drainage ditch I inadvertently made a nice entrance for the goblin siegers. Joy.

Gutanoth

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:ILLUSIONS OF GRANDEUR]
    • View Profile
    • Umomushil - the fortress of dark Ice, an overlord list compliant fort
« Reply #7540 on: November 02, 2010, 03:15:57 pm »

It is 269; I had tarted shortly after 250. The only civilizations besides mine (The Eternal Chambers) and that of the goblins (The Singed Dungeons) were unimportant beastmen.
Suddenly, a human caravan appears. Wait, what?
At some point during the last month, The Oracular Confederacies appeared.
I survived long enough to witness the birth of an organized nation.
 :-X  :'(

Is it possible to have a race living without a civilization/nation?
Look at what a totally original signature this is.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7541 on: November 02, 2010, 03:29:18 pm »

Yes, there are nomadic races that don't have an established civ, but will still appear in your civ list if they're nomading around. Mostly subterrainean.

Herbiie

• Bay Watcher
  • Loyal Unto Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7542 on: November 02, 2010, 03:31:39 pm »

nomading around.

Is this an official term? :p
The once dark-grey walls are now the dark brown of stained blood. At either side of the path leading to the great granite gates is covered with the corpses and skeletons of Goblin invaders.
Some are still fresh. One is still moving.
As you approach the gate a nervous guard looses a bolt in your direction. Silence... Slowly, gradually, the huge doors screech open. Inside there is a courtyard, the floor wet with blood. Welcome to the front-line. Welcome; to Cloisteredwood.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #7543 on: November 02, 2010, 03:36:46 pm »

nomading around.

Is meddling an official term?

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7544 on: November 02, 2010, 03:37:24 pm »

nomading around.

It...shouldn't be. We could probably come up with something better.
Pages: 1 ... 501 502 [503] 504 505 ... 3839