Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 495 496 [497] 498 499 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6120807 times)

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #7440 on: October 31, 2010, 02:17:30 am »

Starting yet another fort. As always.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7441 on: October 31, 2010, 04:28:21 am »

started a 3x3 fort, downsized from my usual 7x7. I got 100 fps for 4 years straight  :o
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7442 on: October 31, 2010, 05:55:29 am »

started a 3x3 fort, downsized from my usual 7x7. I got 100 fps for 4 years straight  :o

Don't act suprised. A mere change from 5x5 to 4x4 can boost FPS significantly.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Herbiie

• Bay Watcher
  • Loyal Unto Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7443 on: October 31, 2010, 06:04:30 am »

Help, I've just had a cave in on floor 101, this was when I embarked, help?

Room 101 o.0 Scary!

My fortress, as usual, is a mixture of shuffling up my squads to replace the casualties, stockpiling food, repairing, building the tomb, and waiting for the next inevitable Goblin attack...

49 dead and counting (about 35 killed by Goblins, and 14 as a result of people going mad with despair after each battle). Been going for 7 years now!!

Had a Goblin ambush, 8 gobbos dead, 1 Dwarf wounded.

Btw how do I make a food "chute"?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 06:18:00 am by Herbiie »
The once dark-grey walls are now the dark brown of stained blood. At either side of the path leading to the great granite gates is covered with the corpses and skeletons of Goblin invaders.
Some are still fresh. One is still moving.
As you approach the gate a nervous guard looses a bolt in your direction. Silence... Slowly, gradually, the huge doors screech open. Inside there is a courtyard, the floor wet with blood. Welcome to the front-line. Welcome; to Cloisteredwood.

durbu

• Bay Watcher
  • Halt! Hammerzeit!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7444 on: October 31, 2010, 06:10:23 am »

I killed a "Beware it's deadly blood!" forgotten beast, a towering one-eyed serpent. Well, turns out the blood really was deadly. All my swordsdwarves survived but cleaned their bloody gear at the beach and at the community well, smearing the blood on the ground... Sixteen dead dwarves almost caused my first tantrum spiral.

Not quite, though, and at the same time I got me a baron, which is nice. I'm not really sure how I could get rid of every drop of said beasts blood so I just clean up wherever dwarves (and cats, serves them right) start to die spontaniously.
"One of the seven just drowned while cleaning saltwater from the seabed."

Herbiie

• Bay Watcher
  • Loyal Unto Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7445 on: October 31, 2010, 06:18:59 am »

I'm not really sure how I could get rid of every drop of said beasts blood so I just clean up wherever dwarves (and cats, serves them right) start to die spontaniously.

Flood everything?
The once dark-grey walls are now the dark brown of stained blood. At either side of the path leading to the great granite gates is covered with the corpses and skeletons of Goblin invaders.
As you approach the gate a nervous guard looses a bolt in your direction. Silence... Slowly, gradually, the huge doors screech open. Inside there is a courtyard, the floor wet with blood. Welcome to the front-line. Welcome; to Cloisteredwood.

durbu

• Bay Watcher
  • Halt! Hammerzeit!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7446 on: October 31, 2010, 06:32:42 am »

I'm not really sure how I could get rid of every drop of said beasts blood so I just clean up wherever dwarves (and cats, serves them right) start to die spontaniously.

Flood everything?

The fort IS situated under the sea... That would be quite awesome.
"One of the seven just drowned while cleaning saltwater from the seabed."

Herbiie

• Bay Watcher
  • Loyal Unto Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7447 on: October 31, 2010, 06:43:26 am »

The fort IS situated under the sea... That would be quite awesome.

Do it!!!!!!

& how do i make a food chute??? lol

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #7448 on: October 31, 2010, 06:56:39 am »

FLOOR 101? That's darn scary indeed.

And on the food chute, I think it's about digging a channel down, then designating a dump near it, then ordering food to be dumped, then unforbidding it when it hits the bottom. Whoever's down there will nom it then. And no, I haven't tried it yet.
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

Gr33kjester

• Bay Watcher
  • Marxism - For those who VALUE their Booze...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7449 on: October 31, 2010, 07:11:57 am »

FLOOR 101? That's darn scary indeed.

And on the food chute, I think it's about digging a channel down, then designating a dump near it, then ordering food to be dumped, then unforbidding it when it hits the bottom. Whoever's down there will nom it then. And no, I haven't tried it yet.
Let's hope the clowns aren't big brother, or 101 isn't my WORSE FEARS!
This is an enscribed adamantine dwarf-leg hammer.  All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes OF SHEER AWESOMENESS.

Herbiie

• Bay Watcher
  • Loyal Unto Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7450 on: October 31, 2010, 07:12:56 am »

Working so far! Thanks!

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #7451 on: October 31, 2010, 07:15:28 am »

Yer welcome.
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

Herbiie

• Bay Watcher
  • Loyal Unto Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7452 on: October 31, 2010, 07:19:24 am »

Yer welcome.

Np, though it should really be the guys in my tower that should be thanking you, you saved them from starvation :p

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7453 on: October 31, 2010, 09:49:22 am »

Only halfway done with this reactor, and it's already paying off immensely. Not only do I have secure, unmuddied water, there's a huge time difference between drawing it from 4 levels down and 16 levels down. With four wells here, dwarves still had to stand in line to use a bucket; if we ever ran out of booze while the cavern was restricted they would've dehydrated waiting in line. And the mistfalls over the cavern reduce the need for dwarves to run clean themselves.

And since it's feeding my obsidian production, I have a whole column of rock I can repurpose. I thought I'd make a magma-spa, if I could figure a way to let the steam in without the scorching flood. Some place for the nobles and legendaries to get a steambath, sip their whip vine, and chuckle at those peons who get their sweating from labor. We just might see a lot more idlers with all the time savings, and why the hell not; we're rich, we rule, and we can afford a leisure class around here.

EmperorNuthulu

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes nu's for their blueness, oh and that mohawk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7454 on: October 31, 2010, 10:36:49 am »

There's a giant lobster hanging around in the caverns that doesn't want to leave. Also i've had no migrants for two seasons, no human, or elf trade caravans. It's the second year, late autumn, so there isn't a sign of the dwarven caravan either. Was everything in the world wiped out or something?
Blargh.
Pages: 1 ... 495 496 [497] 498 499 ... 3842