Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 494 495 [496] 497 498 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6120882 times)

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #7425 on: October 30, 2010, 02:14:37 pm »

And so, the first geonaut in your world is... a fish frozen in carbonite encased in obsidian.
No doubt.
Nemo's parents would be proud. If they weren't encased also, of course.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #7426 on: October 30, 2010, 02:20:08 pm »

In a few years, expect to see an engraved hall titled '20.000 Leagues Under Earth' by Urist McVerne.
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7427 on: October 30, 2010, 02:30:53 pm »

In a few years, expect to see an engraved hall titled '20.000 Leagues Under Earth' by Urist McVerne.
Possibly a play called, "The League of Extraordinary Dwarfmen" will be released later, featuring the captain Urist Nemo, Tholtig Sawyer, and many other famous Dwarfmen.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #7428 on: October 30, 2010, 02:57:26 pm »

And it would be a good one. Especially the part with magma swimming.

On the fort note, my tower has come under attack by a massive flock of buzzards. I have a huge advantage over them though - their flying is of no use in a 1z-high hall. All my stockpiles are either under a roof or deeper in the mines by now. My dogs are currently busying themselves with tearing them into pieces... and now my main level is strewn with buzzard body parts and corpses and slick with rainfall and buzzard and dwarf blood, the latter a result of the still-continuing bleeding of the injured fish cleaner. Now this is a true Dwarf Fortress main hall. He still doesn't complain - 'quite content' and no health problems save for a scar on his leg. Guess it's therapeutic bleeding.
What those buzzards did wreck is my magma industry annex construction orders - I'm getting showered with job cancellations as the flock charges into my tower, as they arrived from that direction. Luckily, my dogs are apparently very good, and there're not many of the winged thieves left. As soon as I finish the walls of the annex and its roof, it's going to be easy.
And, at least they got my drawbridge nice and bloody.
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7429 on: October 30, 2010, 03:45:22 pm »

If it weren't for the siege delays, I might not have realized that this system is going to need a breaker. As it's progressing, it'll amplify power and pressure enough for 21 z-levels, but if it ever gets shut down, or has to be shut down, it'll be too overloaded to ever start back up again. The first six levels, once they get powered up, will be enough to kick rest of the system back on. I'm glad I realized this when I only have to rebuild two screwpumps rather than 15.

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #7430 on: October 30, 2010, 04:10:03 pm »

Better late than never. Especially with screw pumps.

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #7431 on: October 30, 2010, 05:38:33 pm »

Gah. The Tower fell to a measly ambush, because I was too slow to set up my defenses - I had no military at all, and no trapped passages. I was only starting to make components for them. And the drawbridge? Wasn't even hooked up to a lever... meh. Reclaim mode ahoy. Or another fortress. Still, picked up some pointers regarding the construction of aboveground buildings.

Gr33kjester

• Bay Watcher
  • Marxism - For those who VALUE their Booze...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7432 on: October 30, 2010, 06:00:42 pm »

Nothing much, first summer, digging workshops, still need more Tree shagging hippies to slaughter VODKA!
This is an enscribed adamantine dwarf-leg hammer.  All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes OF SHEER AWESOMENESS.

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #7433 on: October 30, 2010, 06:18:12 pm »

Just found the site I was building on.
'Badass name' my ass. The badass one was the previous volcano, 'The Furnace of Wrath'. This one is 'The Ash of Grease'.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7434 on: October 30, 2010, 06:24:49 pm »

Somehow, one floortile from my huge cup-shaped-fountain project detached right above a worker's head. 10 something z-levels above. Both legs fractured, skull broken, nobody bothered to try and drag her to a bed while she was unconscious, so once she regained consciousness, she just crawled to the hospital. It's been something like 2 weeks/1 month in-game, I'm not sure. I think I'm gonna assign one of the (many) diagnostician who find drinking, hauling stuff, and taking a break is more important than even taking a look at a patient with half her head gone, an office. One of the many office I have that is connected to what I'd call the sewer system. Hope they like swimming. Not.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7435 on: October 30, 2010, 06:27:49 pm »

Due to a corrupt save (without compressed saves turned on, thus being result of a random error while writing it.) I have been forced to revert to the beginning of the year, where I find that everyone is alive, the doors are still locked, and I've got a lot of work to do. I don't remember anything that happened prior to this point, but I know one thing: DO NOT OPEN THE DAMN DOORS TO THE OUTSIDE WORLD.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #7436 on: October 30, 2010, 06:33:16 pm »

Contemplating what to build next. A fort above an ocean, or a fort inside a cavern.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7437 on: October 30, 2010, 07:08:51 pm »

Framerates have really improved. The lava settled, centralizing the pumping hasn't hurt, and smoothing slopes off the mountain probably cut down on pathfinding.

And then came the dogsplosion.

I'd been phasing out wardogs for elephants, sold 'em all off in a cage, but of course pets got grandfathered in. We hadn't had new dogs in so long, I forgot that they even had puppies. The only newcomer came with the last wave of immigrants. A male dog.

Yeah, every one of the remaining war dogs was female. All 48 of them. All must've gone into heat over the siege.

I'd be a lot more aggravated if I weren't so impressed. 48 bitches in three months, well done!

Gr33kjester

• Bay Watcher
  • Marxism - For those who VALUE their Booze...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7438 on: October 30, 2010, 07:47:06 pm »

Help, I've just had a cave in on floor 101, this was when I embarked, help?
This is an enscribed adamantine dwarf-leg hammer.  All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes OF SHEER AWESOMENESS.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7439 on: October 30, 2010, 09:35:23 pm »

Help, I've just had a cave in on floor 101, this was when I embarked, help?

Weird stuff happens sometimes, enjoy the show. If nobody was harmed then don't even think on it, you'll likely never even find it.

It's caused when the game generates trees unsupported by ground above the cavern floor, they then fall to the ground upon unpausing in a cave-in. It can also very rarely happen during gameplay.

If a tree lands on a dwarf it means you need to build a temple to Armok. Dig out a 7x7x7 open area, with a catwalk surrounding it, then, around the center of the room at the ground floor (if you did it right the ground floor should be the only floor), dig channel out an upside down U, leaving the center square solid and the south side as an entrance to said center square. Now make a long shaft from a tower on the surface to drop goblins or other prisoners directly on top of the central square. Place statues on the corners of the catwalks and ground floor, digging a 3-wide hallway around the entire structure on every floor (leave a wall seperating them!), with the only entrance to the ground floor being from the south. Now drop creatures of your choice down the shaft repeatedly.
Don't put a statue on the center tile, Armok is the god of blood, let the blood and gore be his monument.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 494 495 [496] 497 498 ... 3842