Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 493 494 [495] 496 497 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6121063 times)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #7410 on: October 29, 2010, 11:43:40 pm »

*slams head on desk* WHY DID I MOD IN A FLYING CIVILIZATION!?!

I don't think it will be that bad.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7411 on: October 29, 2010, 11:48:37 pm »

Honestly, I might as well just give up completley now. There's really nothing I can do. I've been forced out of my home. Only 5 dwarves remain, and one them is stuck in an endless hauling loop. I have nothing to work with. There's no way for me to recover from this.  :-\

Don't traps hurt flying creatures?  Build a long trap hallway.  If it's only one Z-level tall, they'll be forced to wade through the traps.  If you don't have weapons, stone-fall traps should work.

Alternately, wait out the siege and hope you get some migrants.
Suggestion:  Build a few long tunnels and drop a small stone/bar/whatever stockpile at the end.  Keep all but one dwarf out of the tunnel (wall it off or something).  Breach the outdoors at the far end of the tunnel then immediately order the miner to wall himself inside (tell him to build two adjacent walls then forbid the outer one -- that way you can control the side he builds from).  If you're fast enough, you should now have a semi-safe entrance for your migrants.  Keep the inner end secure with a wall.  The migrants can attempt to deconstruct the outer wall then wall themselves inside with the same stone.
It should work like a slow airlock.

I don't even have a pickaxe with me to do that stuff. They're all locked in the stockpile, located in old Townbrush. So I guess I'll have to keep everyone locked underground for several months, pray a flying forgotten beast doesn't come, and wait for the Darnen to get bored and go kill someone else. Rinse and repeat for several grueling years until I find a way to stop them/die a prolonged and painful death.

:(

Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7412 on: October 30, 2010, 12:01:13 am »

I don't even have a pickaxe with me to do that stuff. They're all locked in the stockpile, located in old Townbrush. So I guess I'll have to keep everyone locked underground for several months, pray a flying forgotten beast doesn't come, and wait for the Darnen to get bored and go kill someone else. Rinse and repeat for several grueling years until I find a way to stop them/die a prolonged and painful death.

Oh, you meant literally nothing to work with.

Rather than abandon, you could always make one final charge.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #7413 on: October 30, 2010, 02:16:00 am »

Almost no meat, it's the middle of winter, and Every. Single. Cat. is a pet. I want to devise a system in which I can isolate the cats from their owners to be killed off. There's really no reason, as IIRC, dead pets can't be butchered, but it'll prevent the furry little balls of uselessness from getting pregnant the moment a male wanders in with the migrants.

I'm thinking have cat owners travel through a door set as non-pet passable (that'll work, right?) and have the door directly lead into a room full of waterfalls, engravings, and booze. That should offset the slightly depressing sight of their cats being drowned, or crushed. I really don't care to come up with some over-the-top method of putting the cats down. It's not like the cats bitch about me cutting down trees because I kind of like having a place to sleep.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7414 on: October 30, 2010, 05:28:35 am »

If you had picks you could utilise the magma. Do you have access to any metalworks to forge another?

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7415 on: October 30, 2010, 12:01:04 pm »

I tolerated this guy's sour ass because one of my best soldiers had a temper problem at the start. He spent some time in jail, got a cat, and mellowed out. The cat died, but he coped peacably, it's been about a decade since he's had an incident.

But this guy picked a fistfight with a sword. A squad-issued, masterworked steel sword. After a breach of discipline like that, an example must be made. I wish there were a remedy I could be satisfied with, like public flogging with a silver scourge, strapped to the sterling statue everyone likes to hang out at. But 201 days is not enough, and he won't live that long when he's walled in. Sorry Kib, our civilians can't hear your cries for water. It's a good thing he only capped a hauler; if he got one of my legendaries, he'd get to stand in 1/7 of magma for as long as the charred remains of his ankles could hold him up.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7416 on: October 30, 2010, 12:04:47 pm »

Glitterhammers go through shruk and immigrant ambushes, and the military is in constant state of unhappy, no matter how long breaks they take.

The only booze for a year being wine can be the problem here.

Preparing for the Baron and thus economy start. Even the shruk are better...
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #7417 on: October 30, 2010, 12:09:37 pm »

The walls of the Grey Tower have been completed, and a drawbridge has been lowered to the other side of the river. The docs did what they could for the injured fish cleaner, and now all that remains from his wound is a scar on his leg. Nevertheless, he occasionally bleeds, though it doesn't bother him in the slightest.
For some reason it keeps raining here. It barely ever stops only to start again. Completing the second floor to give my dwarves some cover from the constant downpours. Which will take a while, since the tower is 48 tiles wide and 39 tiles long as of now. I'm expanding it one tile in every direction at a time (that is, building walls angling outwards). Means the third floor will have to be 49x40. Will manage, though, since I reached an even greater suply of diorite in the mines. I mine stone out in 27-tiles-wide squares and use the resulting halls for stockpiles. It seems that a single tower can sustain my dwarves for now.
A kobold thief just stole the best axe in the fort. Meh. Put three dogs near the entrance one tile away from each other. They and their puppy hordes make for excellent early warning systems.
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7418 on: October 30, 2010, 12:11:03 pm »

"Cotton candy!  Praise the miners!"

But I only just uncovered the second cavern...

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7419 on: October 30, 2010, 12:41:08 pm »

"Cotton candy!  Praise the miners!"

But I only just uncovered the second cavern...
You found a candy spire, you lucky dwarf!
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #7420 on: October 30, 2010, 12:43:18 pm »

A human caravan came, and with it came two snatchers. They were stupid enough to jump the caravan itself, and one of its members had a crossbow.
Ten bronze bolts later, my dwarves've gained some replacements for their clothes (the goblins were basically wrapped in clothes themselves), as well as some weaponry and ammunition. Also, the tower's first level is now mostly a nice shade of dwarven blood due to the fish cleaner's almost incessant yet completely harmless bleeding.
First artifact made, an iron boot. Expecting some more goblins to show up and say it's theirs. Contemplating forging some large serrated iron disks to address that problem.

Update: the two snatchers' story quickly became the topic of the day in the Tower. I'm now selling the humans a ton of figurines of those two running to the fortress and getting shot up.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 12:52:11 pm by NewSheoth »
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7421 on: October 30, 2010, 01:27:37 pm »

Settled on the volcano "The Influential Rage" next to the brook "Combinedfight the Sand Camps", between the "Mountain of Riddles" and "The Accidental Hills"
Sounds like a Fun adventure.
Proud of my heritage.

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #7422 on: October 30, 2010, 01:51:57 pm »

Can't help imagining Armok: 'Here, a plain nice and qui-- oops, there it goes. Hills.'.

My current volcano has a particularly badass name... I just can't seem to remember it.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7423 on: October 30, 2010, 01:52:51 pm »

Funny enough, when I embark, a murky pool is draining into the volcano.
Cue discovering the magma sea in under a minute after embark.
Proud of my heritage.

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #7424 on: October 30, 2010, 02:00:59 pm »

And so, the first geonaut in your world is... a fish frozen in carbonite encased in obsidian.
Pages: 1 ... 493 494 [495] 496 497 ... 3842