Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 489 490 [491] 492 493 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6121474 times)

Traece

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #7350 on: October 28, 2010, 02:41:22 am »

So I did a new embark on a new Large Region with 1,100 years of history (I forgot to set the limit higher, and unfortunately never got out of the Age of Myth as I had planned to).

Found a nice thickly forested area with a volcano that was mapped as 3x3 20+ cliffs. Having turned periodic erosion off I was as happy as a dwarf in a brewery after hours!

Taking advantage of the amazingly advantageous terrain (and the fact that the volcano is the highest point on the mountain and with lava that reaches the top to boot) I built a small bridge over a small chasm and then proceeded to flood said chasm and the surrounding lands with lava. Then I decided that just covering 1/6th of the lower lands in lava wasn't good enough, so I instructed my miners to begin a network of small tunnels to spread even more lava across the lower areas of the map! Lastly (in terms of lava flooding), I created an overhang of obsidian and alunite to protect my bridge (and the land around the mouth of it) from a torrent of lava I decided I will release from the topmost areas of the volcano.

I have to say that although I've had many nice embarks in the past this embark is quite easily the best one I've taken yet. Granted it's rather peaceful and lacking of foes currently (and creatures to slaughter), but it has the most advantageous terrain for a lava-loving fiend such as myself. Armok will be pleased to know that I plan to make a tower of Obsidian (or Alunite, depending on whether I want it to be white or gray) jetting forth from the next highest point on the mountain, which lies not too far from the mouth of the volcano, and trump both the height and destructiveness of the volcano. In other words, I'll probably create a lava spraying device to fend off flying creatures. Or rather, fend off anything that's stupid enough to still be alive.
In adventure mode I killed a Hydra within fifteen minutes, and then was mortally wounded by Carp while swimming in a river.

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7351 on: October 28, 2010, 03:47:38 am »

First year,autumn.

Short term goals:

- Irrigation (Done)
- Well (Done)
- Dining room (Done)
- Living quarters (Done)
- Aboveground defenses (80%)
- Traps (10%)

Long term goals
- Army (Done)
- Arena (No progress)
- Mega-project (No progress,needs idea)
- Elven genocide (War initiated)
Updated.Wow,I sure went far considering how little time this took.I still need an idea for a megaproject.
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7352 on: October 28, 2010, 05:50:42 am »

Build an eight-story high statue of a cat in the main dining hall.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7353 on: October 28, 2010, 05:54:58 am »

Drain the magma sea.

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #7354 on: October 28, 2010, 06:33:44 am »

It should be noted that Dirgebrain's civ symbol is a COFFIN.

I moved the caged giantess to the top of a three story sterling silver plinth, so that the dining masses can admire their slave a little better. The laws of perspective make her look exactly the same size as a dwarf, so they're not so frightened of her.

We've nicknamed her "Bitey".
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

Tupu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7355 on: October 28, 2010, 06:57:01 am »

After a while not playing DF I have started a new fort. Right now am working on getting my metal industry working, getting some traps for those pesky kobolds and armoring my military. Also found a nice gold vein near a river, planning on redirecting the river to access all that gold...
"Histories of Greed and Labor"

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7356 on: October 28, 2010, 06:58:50 am »

My civs symbol is a forgotten beast.Would be badass if I knew how that one beast looked like.

My military is down from 5 dwarves to 3 dwarves.One of them had his spine SMASHED OPEN.They had to sew it together.Squick.
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7357 on: October 28, 2010, 08:02:29 am »

After a while not playing DF I have started a new fort. Right now am working on getting my metal industry working, getting some traps for those pesky kobolds and armoring my military. Also found a nice gold vein near a river, planning on redirecting the river to access all that gold...

I'm pretty sure traps won't help with your kobold problem. Kobolds have trap avoid.

In other news, my fort, which had just gotten off the ground with a grand total of 20 Dorfs, just got killed by an elephant. It could have been avoided if I'd paid more attention, since the particular specimen along with several others had been caged, but I apparently decided to tame ONLY the one that had gotten in the lucky shot that had killed one of my carpenters. I set him free and went to grab breakfast, and when I returned all that was left was a single, very bloody dwarf and the elephant. I could try and rebuild from that one dwarf, but I just don't have the energy.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7358 on: October 28, 2010, 08:09:56 am »

I'm pretty sure traps won't help with your kobold problem. Kobolds have trap avoid.

Yeah, you need to supplement your traps with guard animals. I'm 25% sure that after the Kobold gets spotted he'll run into traps though. They definitely run away immediately upon sighting, so it doesn't really matter (unless you want their daggers).
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7359 on: October 28, 2010, 08:38:31 am »

My new fort is going well enough. Right after the fourth migrant wave (19) hit, a migrant got possesed in a weaponsmith mood. The only metal bars in my fort were crucible steel (civ forge ironworks) and he made a falchion (civ forge). This should be a very nice weapon.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7360 on: October 28, 2010, 08:59:51 am »

Kobolds are affected by traps after they're spotted.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7361 on: October 28, 2010, 09:43:05 am »

Not all traps; I've watched detected thieves and invaders run through full rows of weapon traps and cage traps without ever triggering them unless they fell unconscious.

EmperorNuthulu

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes nu's for their blueness, oh and that mohawk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7362 on: October 28, 2010, 09:45:43 am »

I've been trying and failing to get my marksdwarves to train, and somehow the mud in the caverns has been engraved by another race, didn't know you could engrave mud.:/
Blargh.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7363 on: October 28, 2010, 09:47:00 am »

I've been trying and failing to get my marksdwarves to train, and somehow the mud in the caverns has been engraved by another race, didn't know you could engrave mud.:/

Oddly enough, the caverns under towns are always engraved completely even though there's no connection between the cavern and the town.
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7364 on: October 28, 2010, 09:55:21 am »

Not all traps; I've watched detected thieves and invaders run through full rows of weapon traps and cage traps without ever triggering them unless they fell unconscious.
I caged a kobold once.
Pages: 1 ... 489 490 [491] 492 493 ... 3842