Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 487 488 [489] 490 491 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6121647 times)

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #7320 on: October 27, 2010, 04:10:16 am »

The thread keeps falling off the first page?  :'(

Recently dug deep down in squirtedpaddle, hoping that the caverns in this terrifying biome will have more Fun than that which was found above ground (A few zombie slugmen and snailmen, slow and easy kills for my axeman/woodcutter).

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #7321 on: October 27, 2010, 04:16:30 am »

Dirgebrain's gigantic epic dining hall is now so large that I'm building a castle INSIDE the dining hall, made entirely of obsidian, with it's OWN epic dining hall inside.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7322 on: October 27, 2010, 05:05:44 am »

Mid Winter of 108 in DreamLetter, pop. 62

The long and devastating Tantrum Spiral of 108 has finally ended, taking with it over half the population of Dreamletter. What was once a thriving Town is now just a community of survivors, going from 140 strong to a mere 62. The Baron Jonathan is dead, leaving his wife Rebecca and their two sons to lead on as Mayor.

The long range perimeter patrols have been quelling goblin ambushes and snatchers, taking them down easily. And the three rows of serrated iron discs have repelled two seiges.

My defenses are adequate, and now comes the time of rebuilding broken and lost workshops, replacing furniture, and reassigning the remaining dwarves to take care of the important business.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 06:01:25 am by AngleWyrm »

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7323 on: October 27, 2010, 05:24:26 am »

How do you figure out when a tantrum spiral has ended? Happiness levels in Dwarf Therapist?

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:failures]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7324 on: October 27, 2010, 05:54:58 am »

How do you figure out when a tantrum spiral has ended? Happiness levels in Dwarf Therapist?
when every second announcement isn't a fight or someone tantruming.
Quote from: acetech09 date=1343968486
It's probably made from baby bone, with a handle of baby leather. Probably uses the leg bones wound together for the handle, the pelvis for the handle/pick joint, and the pick is the spine.

But that's all in theory, of course. Not like I've made a pick out of my own 5 month old baby before.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7325 on: October 27, 2010, 06:00:56 am »

Yes, there was only one red unhappy child remaining, so I figured it was over. But it had one last gift to give, a tantruming captain of the guard. He killed nine people before he calmed down, so I've got a few more unhappy residents for a while longer.

Moe, the newly appointed captain of the guard is drunk with power. He slew the mayor and ex-baronness and the broker, claiming this was all the Noble's doing, and he would install new management. Then he marched through the halls, slaughtering workers he deemed unproductive or irresponsible. No one has dared to arrest him. New pop.: 53
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 07:19:12 am by AngleWyrm »

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7326 on: October 27, 2010, 06:45:11 am »

5th Year, first (human) siege. A kitten got locked out of my outer defense wall.
Wandering alone, he triggered four different goblin ambushes, and then ran straight into the dozen human crossbowmen who were sieging the fortress.
The humans lost half their number, but pincushionned the kitty and most gobbos before bashing two survivors with their crossbow butts.
60 page long combats logs... I saw one gob' become master lasher simply by surviving this beating and sending the occasionnal counter-attack.
All my militia had to do was to waste the wounded, exhausted, ammo depleted humans and the last crippled goblin (the new master lasher managed to flee the scene. One tough gobbo, this one was, yup! I'm looking forward to see him again in a few years.)

The nice kitty will get full honors, a platinium sarcophagus, and a place in my military's mausoleum as the first hero of the FLEAS (feline lookout, early alert system)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7327 on: October 27, 2010, 07:09:11 am »

Orcs ate everyone, so I'm getting ready to start a new fort.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7328 on: October 27, 2010, 07:13:45 am »

First year,autumn.

Short term goals:

- Irrigation (Done)
- Well (Planned)
- Dining room (Needs furniture)
- Living quarters (No progress)
- Aboveground defenses (No progress)
- Traps (No progress)

Long term goals
- Army (No progress)
- Arena (No progress)
- Mega-project (No progress,needs idea)
- Elven genocide (Will start at first opportunity)
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

Megaman3321

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm everywhere but this Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7329 on: October 27, 2010, 08:03:51 am »

3rd year, my fort experienced its first death (Expert animal caretaker, not much of a loss. I have two of them. :D ). My fort's worth is somewhere around 200,000, most of it is engravings (hooray for Grand Master Engravers!). I've only gone down 5 z-levels, but I've already struck hemetitite, and have begun to have one furnace making coke nonstop, and another using that coke to make iron. I'll be able to phase out all bronze and copper in about a year. I also had my first possesion which took an adequate engraver. She went insane because I didn't have the bone she needed. I also have a legendary dining room, a moat with drawbridge (but the moat needs to be longer. I'll be working on that in a few days when my macroeconomics work is done), a squad of ten dwarves whom I can lock in the barracks if I so desire, and some crafts I bought from traders to smelt.

Short term:
Farm (completed)
Full aboveground dining and meeting room (completed)
Legendary belowground dining room surrounded by masterwork engravings (completed)
Working farm (completed)

Oh, did I mention that this is my first working fort?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 08:11:07 am by Megaman3321 »
Glacial on dwarves being assigned socks:
You see, here's how I think this works:
Overseer: Welcome to the military! You need to wear socks! Dorf: Oh, I should get military socks. My socks are civilian socks. Dorf discards socks Dorf: You know, I need a whole lot of gear now. I should get socks... last. Oh, but these steel boots with the white goo on them are nice!
I know you can pick up water, then throw said water, while underwater, to kill a fish -He_Silent_H

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7330 on: October 27, 2010, 08:10:12 am »

When someone gets a mood and wants bone, assign a random guy as butcher, have him build a butcher workshop and then slaughter a random animal. Good luck with the fort.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7331 on: October 27, 2010, 08:11:57 am »

Training some recruits and got my first body flying event
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7332 on: October 27, 2010, 08:14:22 am »

I had thought that building destroyers would go after my nice obsidian brick road. And lo, my gate was hanging wide open that time of the month at that time of the season. I should've known better, but I was so busy harvesting caged elephants that I lost track of time. Amazingly no one was outside when a giant spawned right next to my road and came rampaging without pause.

He stomped right down my road into the fort and detoured to knock over each statue. The disrespect! I had deployed a squad, but they were still deep in the fort. But that slowed him down enough for the war elephants to catch up to him, and they collectively gored and stomped him to pieces before my soldiers reached the ground floor.

Elephants are hardcore. When I first started ranching them, an untrained elephant calf tore up an invading axegoblin, got a namefor himself, and ran out to hunt down some more. He was overwhelmed and slain by a squad of six axes and lashers -- I started caging the young to avoid that kind of waste, and honored him by decorating furniture with ivory.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #7333 on: October 27, 2010, 08:59:10 am »

My first recursive artifact!

It's even made entirely of Gold!

It's a spear...  ::)

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7334 on: October 27, 2010, 10:36:14 am »

When Dwarves stop brawling with each other everytime they glance at each other from across the room, and you actually get some work done.

Speaking of a lack of progress, Townbrush is currently progressing as the pace of a snail attempting to pull a pickup truck. Since the master mechanic is now being gnawed on by a giant scaly skunk, the only advancement made with the siege breaker have been from my sole mason. Of course one mason can't do much other than slowly extrend it, and that's when he's not being interrupted by zombie fish. Without a mechanic or siege operator the siege breaker wouldn't be as effective as I would like either. So the goblins will once again be able to leave without an injury, though I'm doing all I can to ensure this doesn't happen in the future.

Other than that, there's nothing noteable about Townbrush at the moment. Ever since I intitated the full lockdown, there's been a significant decrease in Fun!. It doesn't matter if the Forgotten Beasts outnumber the Dwarves 2:1 when they are all locked in the caverns. So unless there's some hole I didn't notice or a flying one shows up, we should be fine. Provided zombie whales don't burst into the dining room again.

Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.
Pages: 1 ... 487 488 [489] 490 491 ... 3842