Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 486 487 [488] 489 490 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6121768 times)

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #7305 on: October 26, 2010, 01:16:21 am »

I started a new fortress, right on the edge between a Good Mountain and an Evil Forest. I'm liking it so far, because the forest provided a lot of rare resources including plentiful phantom spider webs, sliver barbs and glumprongs(purple beds are much dwarfier than brown ones). The mountain also provides a lot of raw resources, and I've found 7 different veins of native silver and even a few clumps of horn silver. I'm trying to reach the magma sea so I can smelt it, but my miners seem to be having some problems figuring out how to dig down. They keep canceling the up/down staircase designations I place on the last cavern layer because they can't find a path... I guess I'll have to wait for my mason to construct some staircases so the miners can reach the bottom level, but before I do that he needs to make some barrels as I'm low on booze.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Gullydwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7306 on: October 26, 2010, 05:16:41 am »

Ok after a few seasons of calm the Goblins returned with a few ambushes. Five goblins have found my cage traps which will result in real fun when the ambushers leave. Feeding some naked goblins to wolves and bears and reading reports afterwards.
This all happend after the Human Caravan arrived safely :-) The only casualties were a few kittens and a stray migrant dwarf which didn't have a purpose yet so I don't care. The Safe Burrow seems to really work. Keeping dwarves inside which don't really need to be outside but might go loitering at some other murky pool.
My moat is far from finished, because my miner somehow would not finish the whole tunnel, maybe some pathing problem. Because of the ambush I cannot continue the moatdigging...
Next time I will create a new melee squad which is kind of going to be a test squad to see what happens if I let them train naked, without weapons. I am imagining something with oily naked bodies rubbing against eachother.
"Gullydwarf cancels play Dwarf Fortress. Interrupted by stray female."

Spaghetti7

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam ID: wavy shapes dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #7307 on: October 26, 2010, 05:26:01 am »

Just started a new fortress, dug down 3 z-levels and started mining out various stones and gems. Had to make a new stockpile, a few coffins, nothing majorly exciting.
I'm checking the announcements for anything special, but no, nothing.
Go to the surface to see why Urist Mchellofalot isn't making my damn workshop, and see around 20 Rhesus Macaque corpses dotted around my fortress, several in half, with my butcher already casually dragging the bodys away.
That's about it on my end, not too exciting but it'll have to do until the goblins arrive. ;)
That's nothing. I had something mate with a pile of dead meat.

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #7308 on: October 26, 2010, 06:26:36 am »

Progress on the 3z-level, fully engraved all the way down, skylit, GINORMOUS dining hall is slower than expected, but the advantage is that by the 3rd Z-level, my miners are all legendary.

Unfortunately, I didn't really plan the housing situation ahead very well, and the dwarves are not thrilled about the perma-barracks. However, once I get the dining hall finished, I'll radiate the dormitories outward from it. This is all part of my plan to lock the entire fortress in downstairs, walled away from the topside, and not digging down far enough to get to the caverns. From there, sealed in their little biodome of luxury, we'll begin the madness of turning the entire populace into a military.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7309 on: October 26, 2010, 08:33:32 am »

Mid Summer of 108 in the Town of DreamLetter, pop. 108

It's Tantrum Town these days. Over the past year, we've lost more than 30 dwarves to various tragedies, and a significant portion of the remaining populous is aggrieved. Scum and villany rear their ugly heads, with violent outbreaks and wanton destruction. The criminals have gone from four to twenty in less than a year, and I'm sure it will continue for a while longer.

Having no single easy-fix source of problems, I can only hope to ride this one out.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7310 on: October 26, 2010, 08:54:26 am »

Mid Summer of 108 in the Town of DreamLetter, pop. 108

It's Tantrum Town these days. Over the past year, we've lost more than 30 dwarves to various tragedies, and a significant portion of the remaining populous is aggrieved. Scum and villany rear their ugly heads, with violent outbreaks and wanton destruction. The criminals have gone from four to twenty in less than a year, and I'm sure it will continue for a while longer.

Having no single easy-fix source of problems, I can only hope to ride this one out.
Statues and engravings EVERYWHERE.

synkell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7311 on: October 26, 2010, 10:17:08 am »

Year 11 of Wanedtrade.

Currently constructing the 2nd level of above ground tower, placing my marksdwarves' barracks above it as a sentry post. Other then that , digging to the cotton candy vein my magmanaunt found on its way through the volcano.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7312 on: October 26, 2010, 10:24:33 am »

Got the first autumn wave at Squirtedpaddle. I was annoyed to see a huge procession of animals entering from the side of the map, but my faith in migrants was restored when a butcher popped out behind them and started following along. Best gift ever.
Several of my dwarves worship "Datan" who takes the form of a female dwarf and is associated with mountains. Scary.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 10:38:00 am by Cheese »

lastrix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7313 on: October 26, 2010, 02:01:46 pm »

So it goes 2-3 year in my current fortress. It was quite annoying when an ambush spawned directly at my farm plots on local ( noone was able to reach it without entering main entrance ), 2 marksdorfs dead, some cats ( Hail to Armok!! catsplosion partially stopped )... but it's okay.
Also i found that any thief still goes to main entrance to leave my fortress ( wtf? why he spawned at very top? ).

But latter i have a huge fun looking at flying pieces removed from useless goblinite source by serrated disks.
Here is an example of how it's done (central part):
Code: [Select]
XXXXXXXXXXXX
..D...................
CC+^^^^^++++
CC+^^^^^++++ <-entrance
CC+^^^^^++++
XXXXXXXXXXXX
C - cage trap
^ - serrated disks ( each has 2, but first line has 3 )
+ - floor
. - open space
X - wall
D - downstairs
I have a plan to make an observer at higher level, so any ambush would be instantly spotted.

Also i build small arena for my captured goblins, after their release from their cages bolt storm started =) all my marksdorf get at least competent level from dabbling.

caknuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7314 on: October 26, 2010, 04:18:44 pm »

Finally found where the marble was hiding, so Copperparched's steel industry can be expanded beyond melting down puzzleboxes, trumpets and individual crossbow bolts.

The Danger Room is operational. There are a few simple rules to military service in Copperparched:
1) Everybody serves.
2) If you own a cat, you serve first.
3) You serve until you reach Legendary in two martial skills. Then you're discharged, but eligible for call-up at any time.
4) Mothers with infants may have their service deferred until the little buggers are weaned from nipple to flask.
5) If I catch you organizing a party, expect the draft board to be informed of your enthusiasm for wooden training spears.
Quote from: Primary
*Kneels before Urist Dickpuncher*

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7315 on: October 26, 2010, 04:26:48 pm »

It was a regular day in my fortress, a few captured animals here, a few new masterwork roasts there. 3 new forgotten beasts and a titan there... Wait, WHAT?

Yep. Titan, and FB's but that's not the point. The titan is a blob made of water. My fortress was locked down, no way in or out.

Except my well to the hospital

Yep, my unfinished hospital has a well in it and the beast crawled in through it, it sat at the well idling for a while. Then, my woodcutter and her three children came to the well for some reason. The creature attacked them, I locked them in to prevent the creature from following them out of the hospital. They ran around for a while, the blob chased one of the children in to a room. It attacked the child, then some sixth sense told Urist mcmother to go into the hospital room, she enters. The evil blob of water started spitting frozen water at Urist. In rage because her son was attacked, Urist valiantly raised her axe and charged the creature. Slicing it in two with all here motherly rage. Wow. What an anti-climactic event.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7316 on: October 26, 2010, 04:42:40 pm »

Finally got those staircases built, which has resulted in swarms of rutherers rushing into my fortress. Thankfully I have a decent military(two axedwarves and 8 wrestlers) which were able to subdue all of them, but they keep coming! It's an endless wave of these guys. I have rutherer corpses rotting because my butcherers can't process them fast enough. One got through when my military went to take a drink, which killed a leatherworker, and a lost one of the wrestlers when fighting four at once. I wouldn't really say I'm in danger, but it's still quite frustrating.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7317 on: October 26, 2010, 05:05:47 pm »

The queen arrived, but just sat on the edge of the map with her consort. The rest of her entourage came on in and joined. I got a pretty good doctor, some decent farmers, two Mace Lords, two Axe Lords and a Legendary Ambusher. A lot of unskilled hands with enough combat competence to make two full squads.

But the queen just sat there. I used Runesmith to bring her inside, she ran all the way back out to the edge of the map again, so I found a nice room to lock her into until the palace is complete.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7318 on: October 26, 2010, 05:35:55 pm »

If your monarch isn't a dwarf, he or she will just sit on the edge of the map forever, what race is she?

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7319 on: October 26, 2010, 05:37:53 pm »

It's a dwarf, no mistake. I did quests for her in adventurer mode. Could it be because I hadn't promoted to duchy yet? I'm still a county.
Pages: 1 ... 486 487 [488] 489 490 ... 3842