Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 485 486 [487] 488 489 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6121801 times)

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #7290 on: October 25, 2010, 03:12:02 pm »

I witnessed a wild elephant birth in Fortress mode. The elephants have refused to move an inch since then.

Devstorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7291 on: October 25, 2010, 03:24:47 pm »

It's the second autumn in Stoneshield, my first really real fortress thus far. Up till now I've just been messing around and learning the basics. This one I'm going to play out to whatever end, if I can. We've had our first birth, and I managed to get a working drawbridge built at the entrance, above a four level pit.  I've got some cage and stone-dropping traps at the outside of the entrance, followed by a chained cougar. I'll add some weapon traps at the edge of the pit, as well. We've only had one strange mood so far, it was a possession by the jeweler, sadly. It went well enough. I've managed to find veins of copper, gold and aluminum, but haven't worked the gold yet. After having read other peoples' comments here, I figured to wait until I have a couple squads of military first for the inevitable seiges. I've managed to make enough on stone goods to help us get what we need. We're up to 39 dwarves now, including immigrants.  My next project will probably be a hospital wing, and a well. We have a brook some distance away from where we embarked. Later I'll have to come up with an indoor refuse area so that we don't have so many people traipsing in and out of the fort. I'll probably dig another pit, open at the top, wall around the opening, and stick both a statue garden and the refuse in that area.

Drakeero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7292 on: October 25, 2010, 03:33:42 pm »

[Disclaimer: I add my own rp flavor that goes beyond vanilla and basically... http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AWizardDidIt for stuff that may seem a little bit like is cheating.]

Our fears are true, things are not improving.  It is peaceful outside even the skeletal eagles have been quiet.  Unfortunately though the mage admitted to being careless and making a mistake with one of his spells.  Now there are certain... things that know of his presence.  We all sleep restless since we can hear their screams in our sleep at night.  He has a plan to deal with that though with hopefully few injuries since we're nothing more then a forward exploration and construction team.  Speaking of which...

Operation: Overlord is underway.  Strangely fitting because it involves a very large number of cage traps.  Mebzuth is busy working in her shop cleaning out our unwanted orthoclase into mechanisms.  We have a temporary 24x11 storeroom set up on the way to the mining shaft to store them.  On the top floor of the mining shaft itself we are gathering together the wooden cages that Datan has been fitting together... slowly.  She really needs to quit drinking and breaking so much and crank those things out.

The haulers have been partially diverted from their cage/mechanism duties to bring galena down to the smelters so the lead production can get underway.  Once the caverns have been safetly emptied of their occupants with the wooden traps we shall begin the construction of specialized, magically enhanced lead containment... things that the mage says should work on certain "creatures" that normally ignore traps.  Personally I prefer that experimental golden cage that was made but the mage couldn't get his magics to work on it as effectively.  I pity the people who have to install those heavy cages but if they make those horrible screams from the mine shaft go away....
Cage traps are my magma.

Lord Vetinari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7293 on: October 25, 2010, 05:03:19 pm »

Kolnural, Wheelblinds, a perfect harlequin opal

This is a perfect harlequin opal. All craftdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with harlequin opal spikes.

:o

Never seen that before.

Sunder

• Escaped Lunatic
  • tumultrician
    • View Profile
« Reply #7294 on: October 25, 2010, 05:15:37 pm »

Embarked on a lake/grassland (realizing too late that hey, I'd be completely reliant on caravans for steel, and trees were pretty much nonexistent) and with nowhere near enough food. To that end, I immediately dug out a massive farm cave... 4z or so down from the top of the lake... and immediately tried connecting it to said lake...
...hi, water pressure instantly filling it 7/7 high. At least my miner managed to survive due to lakeside sloping.

I did finally manage to set up a drainage system, but it's going to take forever to go down to farmable levels. This is why we don't forget about water pressure.

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7295 on: October 25, 2010, 05:22:38 pm »

Pierced the magma sea just in time to realize I was digging rooms through warm stone just one tile away from !!fun!!.

Also, werewolves.
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #7296 on: October 25, 2010, 05:57:41 pm »

I have hit the most mindbogglingly huge deposit of gold I have ever seen. It's not even a vien, it's more like a web of gold veins going this way and that throughout the entire caverns. I'm seriously considering tearing down every wall in my fortress and rebuilding the entire thing out of gold so I can have the most pimping fortress of all time. Shame you can't encrust walls with gems. Although if I get another strange mood I suppose I'll use the quantum artifact exploit to turn my entire stone stockpile (not just an amazing amount of gold but several hundred stones of all different types) into one single item.

Traece

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7297 on: October 25, 2010, 06:22:46 pm »

I have hit the most mindbogglingly huge deposit of gold I have ever seen. It's not even a vien, it's more like a web of gold veins going this way and that throughout the entire caverns.

I get those a lot. It's really annoying and you get really tired of seeing so much gold after a while... It's far too abundant in this game.

So, after unlocking the depths of hell I had to ctrl+alt+del because honestly I wasn't ready to lose my fortress that quickly. I continued on up to about half an hour ago and what happens? Goblins. Lots of Goblins. Just ambushes though. So the Goblins attack and I raise my bridge only to find out that it was a retracting bridge. I had rebuilt every bridge under the assumption that it was a retracting bridge and somehow made the bridge a retracting bridge TWICE. So I send my dwarves out to slaughter the 5 or so Goblins and succeed with only minimal losses and a couple stupid civvies. Yay me. But the second squad in the ambush of another 5-ish Goblins have crossbows and they insist on slaughtering anything and everything. I finally massacre them and am left with about 3/4ths of my adamantine equipped soldiers (They were armored with adamantine shields and armor but failed to properly handle all of this...?). By this time I'm tantrum spiraling.

No big deal yeah? Well, they decide to seriously spiral. I was hoping it would be a little recoverable one but they insist on going batshit crazy. I pull my "kill everything under the fortress with a massive cave-in" lever and guess what? Nothing. Not a thing. I disassemble the staircases and channel out more layers. Nothing. Two large layers of floor sit there, unattached. Apparently I missed something because it shouldn't be that hard to cave-in. I tell them to go and release HFS, and to my dismay as another Goblin ambush comes around, nobody is man enough to unwittingly release the depths of hell onto the fortress!

At this point in time my fortress is comprised of 6 juveniles and a massive amount of dead bodies. What did I do in its lifetime? Found hundreds of gold nuggets, and lots of adamantine. Time to abandon and never look back.
In adventure mode I killed a Hydra within fifteen minutes, and then was mortally wounded by Carp while swimming in a river.

Drakeero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7298 on: October 25, 2010, 06:38:00 pm »

Things are getting worse with each passing week.  Mezbuth has finished her room full of mechanisms.  They should serve us well for now.  The mage peered into the depths of the ground again and had some good news.  It seems that a lot of the work has been done for us already, but still those screams seem to bring the fort to a halt and even the simplest of tasks seem to take forever now.

He sat down with me with our preliminary mining maps.  The worst of this is directly beneath our main mining shaft which is why he had our exploratory shaft diverted to the side on level 53.  Even though I expressed doubts that our preparations are coming along fast enough he proposed a new mining tunnel on level 61.  By Armok is it a twisted labyrinth.  No dead ends, its not a maze, just one long twisting passage that folds back across itself no less then a dozen times!  Apparently we have a limited amount of rock to deal with and a lot of monsters in the caverns.  I'll be sending the legendary miners as well as myself down to do the work as it must be done perfectly!  One mishap and we can prematurely break into the caverns before our defenses are set up.  The tunnel stops just short of the planned breach point at which point we'll line the entire path with cage traps.  One volunteer will pop a hole into the cavern and run like a girl back up the shaft to safety.  We'll have to hope the traps do their work or we'll have a problem on our hands.

Hopefully once the initial threat is over we can begin to secure the caverns and this thing he mentions in preparation for the worst of the onslaught.  Hopefully clearing the caverns will bring us a little reprieve from this terrible curse.
Cage traps are my magma.

S.K. Ren

• Bay Watcher
  • I disbelieve and jump!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7299 on: October 25, 2010, 07:03:00 pm »

Let's see. I embarked, had my water evaporate on me. Got two waves of immigrants and then lost 10 dwarves to thirst. I then went two seasons with no immigrants and then got 21 Immigrants at once for a total of 30 dwarves. I then uncovered 2 Kobold Ambushes which murdered 16 of my dwarves, my war dogs and the elven caravan before they all died. Now I'm in the recovery stages and awaiting the next 'gift' the RNG will give me.
Simon-v: How do you live in a world where Everything's Trying To Kill You?
xander_morhaime: Briefly.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7300 on: October 25, 2010, 10:55:54 pm »

So a human caravan showed up today. You might think that's nothing special, but Townbrush has been under siege by the humans for years. The arrival of this caravan means that they have finally forgiven the dwarves and decided to once again conduct trade with us.

I showed my appreciation by locking them outside to fall prey to the goblin ambush  :-\

With a population of 6, I can't risk opening Townbrush for any reason. So the humans are doomed to die. Which will probably piss them off again, leading to more sieges. It's a never ending cycle of failure!

Also, another Forgotten Beast showed up. At this point that doesn't really surprise me. I've decided to be a cowardly Elf and just wall of the caverns for the time being. This Fortress is being supported by a handful of weak, scrawny Dwarves. I don't think they can handle the fell beasts of the deep.

EDIT: Oh god dammit. Somehow, my Mechanic was trapped inside the caverns along with the Forgotten Beast. And I can't risk opening the caverns to save him so.......fuck him. He's just another corpse.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 11:01:00 pm by Internet Kraken »
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7301 on: October 25, 2010, 11:34:06 pm »

The advantage of blood still being spread by footsteps.

The large sea of blood outside of my front gate started mysteriously spreading towards my fortress.  I lock the civilian entrance and activate the military and sure enough, it was an ambush squad spreading the blood.

Armok sent me a warning.  All praise Armok!

A wonderous tactic indeed! I'll have to remember this...
We shall weaponize it by killing/bleeding some sort of creatures into a 2/7s filled channel used as the entrance to a fortress. Nothing will escape our sight! While our sight is on it... is there not some way to use a cave-in gun as a warning device? Link it to a pressure plate? But what about kobolds...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

HermitDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7302 on: October 25, 2010, 11:57:37 pm »

You can be sieged with a population as low as 6?

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7303 on: October 25, 2010, 11:59:57 pm »

Well, my population wasn't always 6, so yes. Sieges don't stop because your population dips below X. They just start when your pop reaches X, and then never end regardless of what happens.

Also it's 5 now. The Mechanic didn't stand a chance.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

warwizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7304 on: October 26, 2010, 12:21:13 am »

I've had multiple sieges with a population of 1 but this was back in 38 or so.
Pages: 1 ... 485 486 [487] 488 489 ... 3842