Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 484 485 [486] 487 488 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6121794 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #7275 on: October 25, 2010, 01:08:23 am »

In addition to being worried about the death of his friends, the expedition leader is also trapped in his room...
Oh, the one in the safe room, he's one of the two migrants, and there's an entry just shortly before all this about how useless the leader thinks he is.
Oh the irony...

in news regarding my fort; everything would have been very very bad... If the two kobold ambushes hadn't appeared and been standing on top of the ponds as they thawed!  8)

there was a goblin lasher ambush immediately afterward, but by that time my militia was up and about and dealt with them summarily. the only casualties suffered this season were one marksman out picking up equipment when he bumped into a werewolf, and my only weaponsmith being instantly decapitated as he found a goblin master thief! I mean come on, what are the chances that your current most valuable and unique dwarf is going to be killed with 0% chance of rescue and with absolutely no warning? High, apparently.
There was an injured woman as well, wife and fellow soldier of one squad captain, who was seriously injured and refused to go to rest or get back to work. She was promptly dragged to the hospital (while on her break, so you can imagine her kicking and screaming the whole way down) after I actually designated it.  :P
last season, the casualty report was 3 serious injuries due solely to two separate grimeling attacks.

I have done next to nothing on actual infrastructure, I'm just trying to keep these idiots alive for a little while longer.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

warwizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7276 on: October 25, 2010, 04:05:29 am »

Healoils founded in year 6 and populated with dwarves that are older than the world... how that came about is not explained.
it is now year 11 and after making about 60 live captures of ambushing goblins I put them all into one cage and dumped all their gear, then built a vast field of stonefall traps around the cage, and leading towards my above ground trap corridor, station my 5 man guard squad and pull the lever. Fun ensued as the fastest goblins became slower after getting nice rock showers, my tame wolves and war dogs jumped into the fray as the whole of the group tried to run for safety. managed to kill about 30 and recapture 25, some of whom died of woulnds inside their cages, 5 Goblins survived the gauntlet of doom only one of them able to walk more than a few steps before falling over. That was over a year ago, and no more ambushes, perhaps the message has been sent, we'll see.
  I've built 30 steel breast plates, 30 steel high boots, 30 steel grieves, and 30 steel gauntlets, all without benefit of magma.
My barroness at my selection has a like for adamantine, barrells, bucklers and toy axes, failed to make 3 adamantine bucklers, and the guy chained up in between two large food store piles dies of thirst. that makes 7 of 8 dwarves that have faced "justice" have died, the 8th is a murderer that has justice delayed...because the murderer is my barroness. My captain of the guard is this big burley Dwarf with muscles on his muscles, the beatings he gives are fatal with the first swing of his fist, well he got a mood and claimed a clothes maker shop, and proceeds to make a aretfact short skirt. He now has his own clothes maker shop in his rooms, where I put skirts on auto repeat for a season or two.
  I had my mason whip up a bunch of statues cause my Barroness is being utterly traumatized by a lessor's pretentious sleeping araingements, I place the batch of them in her room and look at them: Dwarf dying of dehydration, dwarf being struck down by the captain of the guard, and so on, of the 10 only one is not about this fort, and of the 9, only one is a happy event. well it seems to have turned her mandates a little milder, only had export prohibited for bucklers toy axes and barrells, and make two bucklers since I installed the statues

Cave systems discovered , and promptly walled off, dumped a half dozen un adopted cats into them as a search party, given enough time to breed I'll have a permanent sourse of cat meat.

Future plans: mass produce weapons for the weapon traps, finish the above ground fortifications, and roof it over to stop the fliersIf I get a building destroyer siege I'll be in serious trouble, may need to establish the 3 full squads with the steel equipment now and take the loss of 40% of my dwarves to the military.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #7277 on: October 25, 2010, 04:33:43 am »

I may need a new militia commander.  He had to stop cutting down a tree, because a rabbit interrupted him...
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

RustyTheBrave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7278 on: October 25, 2010, 04:44:28 am »

I started a fortress in my new world, only to find out that, lo and behold, dwarves are extinct! So I get my two migrant waves, then sealed the entrance up. So far it's going surprisingly well, only two deaths, one of which was from a moody glassmaker who gave up on life and starved. Slow though, debating about penetrating deeper into the caverns to stave off death by boredom.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #7279 on: October 25, 2010, 05:10:37 am »

So three of my dwarves die to skeletal deer. My preferred burial method for dwarves not important enough for tombs is a downward stairway on the surface, an upward stairway below it, and a mined out tile on one side where the coffin is placed. On the surface, directly over where the coffin in, I place a statue as a gravemarker and then build a floor over the downward stairway to complete the grave.
So I have the three statues whipped up and, interestingly, one of the statues is of Ilon, a Dwarven god. As I go to set the statues up, it occurs to me that if I were to give a gravemarker in the shape of Ilon to a deceased dwarf who worshipped another god, I'd be offending that dwarves memory. So, I search through the units list and find the dead dwarves, then check each for their religious beliefs. As luck would have it, one of them happened to worship Ilon. He got that statue. Luckily enough, the Ilon statue was the only one made of granite, so I didn't have to worry about messing it up.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7280 on: October 25, 2010, 05:58:54 am »

Mid-Autumn of 107 in the Town of DreamLetter, pop. 132

The goblins and the humans have been sieging for six months, with no sign of letting up, and the cavern catacombs have become infested with forgotten beasts. Creatures of mud, a creature of steam, a giant lady bug with one eye, and a giant cave spider. A dozen dwarves have lost their lives to the onslaught that knocks on the doors of Dreamletter, and I've had to expand the graveyard to accomodate this more...exciting life.

Amongst the visitors to our town, a flock of buzzards, and the door guard couldn't kill a one. They just kept flying out of reach. So I've filled out a third squad with crossbow dwarves, the Diamond Lenses; not entirely necessary, but good for morale. Here's hoping the trainings sessions go well for them.

Ha! Finally found the last of the sieging humans -- it cost me three good lumberjacks, and might have been the reason for no caravan and no immigrants for the past two seasons -- but the siege is finally vanquished.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 09:17:22 am by AngleWyrm »

Harudoku

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼«☼Dwarf Fortress☼»☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #7281 on: October 25, 2010, 07:34:54 am »

I present to you, the last hour in my fortress in pictures!

(One of them, at the top, is a link instead of a picture, because I accidentally forgot to shrink it before taking the screencap)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7282 on: October 25, 2010, 07:36:25 am »

I love the stories here - makes me feel so much better about my experiences...

Things getting Pythonesque in Weywires - channelling out some land above my mining tunnels, as the one level drop from my bridge wasn't even upsetting invading goblins, while walling up the tunnels that lead into the bigger pit.  Three masons manage to wall themselves in at first, and then Urist McFishdissecter wanders in from the deep tunnels holding some silver bars (the forges and stockpiles are at the top of the fortress) just as the last wall is completed, avoids a minor cave-in from the ceiling, and wanders off into the wilderness, still holding the silver.

He's the ex-mayor, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt...

Just got my first ambush, just before the Enormous Bridge of Doom is hooked up, and all goblins are quickly captured/catapulted/slain (well, only the unconscious ones), except for a crossbowdwarf who survives the 1 z level fall and proceeds to put 4 dwarves in hospital, where the peasant I assigned at chief medical officer (75 dwarves, no diagnostics anywhere - legendary fish dissectors, though - 3 of them!) did something to them.  Not sure what.... Then a Two Headed Minotaur arrives, charges across the map, and falls into the only still loaded cage trap. He'll keep the goblin thieves and groundhogs company...

Forgot to add - elven merchants ran at the first hint of goblins, after trading.  Couldn't get my trinkets back, so deconstructed the trade depot and am looting my stuff back.  And all the <<+chestnut puzzleboxes+>> I need!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 07:40:11 am by Pukako »

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Gorzan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7283 on: October 25, 2010, 08:17:03 am »

got the most hilarious artifact ever:
Mirrorfrighten the violator of depressions.
As epic as it sounds, its only a groundhog leather headscarf wich, of course menaces with spikes of FOUR different materials (worth 39000 dwarfbucks).

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7284 on: October 25, 2010, 11:16:21 am »

Late Winter of 107 in the Town of DreamLetter, pop. 130

The great axe lord Fikod Shemdural went bravely into his last and greatest triumph today, wherein he single-handedly slew fifteen goblins. He was on routine long range perimeter patrol, and as was his custom, he scouted ahead of the squad. He found what he was looking for, just north of the fort -- a siege of two goblin squads was coming down the hill. With no time to waste, Fikod charged into the fray alone.

With his first swing, he hacks off the leg of one of their number, and with his second swing he chops an arm off. The goblin tries to attack, but Fikod is too fast and jumps away. He continues his brazen plunder of the would-be attackers, flaying off legs and arms, shattering ribs and opening arteries. Delighted with his success, Fikod charges ferociously at the nearest goblin, who is surprised by the ferocity of his attack. In one smooth movement, Fikod lops off the goblin's leg and collides with him, knocking him to the ground. He slams his axe down through the goblin's silk cloak, through his ribs, and into his lung, lodging firmly in the wound.

Yet another goblin wades into the deep waters of what will surely be his demise, charging the axe lord. His clumsy attack misses, but he collides and in a tangle they both fall down. The other goblins quickly surround the pile, swinging and striking at Fikod, but he parries and blocks their attacks from the ground; then he stands up, like the death bell ringing. He reaches out with his blood-slickened battle axe and slashes the leg out from under the surrounding goblins, and the pile of crippled grounded goblins grows.

A goblin pikeman charges, and Fikod rams the charge with his steel shield; the pikeman tumbles over backwards. And finally the goblin hammer lord, leader of the pack steps up. He strikes out but the shot is blocked. Fikod finishes with the pikeman by cutting him clean in two, and then turns his attention to the hammer lord. The hammer lord strikes out again, and again Fikod deftly blocks with his trusty shield. Fikod counterstrikes, but misses -- it could be a close match with this one. Then a goblin hammerman sneaks alongside, and bashes Fikod in the right upper arm from the side with her iron war hammer, jamming the bone through the right shoulder's muscle, and fracturing the right shoulder's bone. Fikod counterstrikes, cutting the goblin hammerman in half, and the top half falls away.

The Hammer lord backs away. The second squad of goblins has witnessed enough death, and they turn tail and run back the way they came. "Come back any time!" Fikod shouts at their backs.

Fikod is losing a lot of blood, he's over-exerted and pale, but he fights on. The last members of the first squad, two pikemen make their move, stabbing simultaneously, and scoring hits to the arm and leg. They strike again, this time shattering bone in the upper left arm, and severing ligament in Fikod's right hand. "At least you didn't run" Fikod spits, fighting to stay conscious, but his time is up. Fikod loses hold of his trusty shield "Zustashstukon", and the pikeman moves in for the kill.

Goodbye, Axe Lord Fikon, your tomb will be great.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 11:39:05 am by AngleWyrm »

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7285 on: October 25, 2010, 12:11:54 pm »

I just survived my 2nd siege and killed my very first titan, with my squad completely unharmed.
I think it's time to release the forgotten beast and beat it to a pulp, too.
 :D

All my previous fortresses died down at the 2nd or 3rd ambush or so.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Tiigon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7286 on: October 25, 2010, 01:34:53 pm »

I reached HFS for the first time.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7287 on: October 25, 2010, 01:38:31 pm »

The advantage of blood still being spread by footsteps.

The large sea of blood outside of my front gate started mysteriously spreading towards my fortress.  I lock the civilian entrance and activate the military and sure enough, it was an ambush squad spreading the blood.

Armok sent me a warning.  All praise Armok!
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #7288 on: October 25, 2010, 01:51:45 pm »

The advantage of blood still being spread by footsteps.

The large sea of blood outside of my front gate started mysteriously spreading towards my fortress.  I lock the civilian entrance and activate the military and sure enough, it was an ambush squad spreading the blood.

Armok sent me a warning.  All praise Armok!
That red tsunami is a red spy! Oh wait, that's blood...
The blood is a spy!

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #7289 on: October 25, 2010, 02:31:46 pm »

The fortress "Releasetreaty" originally had only 4 military dwarves (since it's protected by this lava trap, augmented by removing [BUILDINGDESTROYER:2] from creatures that would otherwise demolish the floor grates and seal themselves out of the fortress completely) - an axedwarf, a swordsdwarf, a hammerdwarf, and a speardwarf, all Legendary and wearing masterwork gear. I recently decided to split them into their own squads and train up some additional fighters, as well as get some Macedwarves and Marksdwarves, also equipped in 100% masterwork gear.

Once they were geared up, the new recruits headed for the barracks and started to train underneath their commanders. The Axedwarf did a few quick lessons and then decided it was time to get to work and began to Spar. Within a few days, the recruit had learned enough skill with his weapon to become an Axedwarf, and after a mere month he was an Axe Lord. The swordsdwarf and hammerdwarf performed similarly, though the speardwarf doesn't seem to want to spar just yet.

Once my 2 Marksdwarves had some decent skill (one Elite, the other not yet), I decided to build some danger room spikes beneath them. Predictably, they both got broken toes and were taken to the hospital where they were cleaned off and treated. A short while later, two of my haulers (two legendary dwarves that never did much) cancelled their tasks due to injury - a brief inspection revealed that all of their internal organs had failed and they were suffocating. Examining the hospital revealed several pools of blood and forgotten beast extract that had been washed off of the elite marksdwarf's armor, no doubt absorbed into the bare feet of the haulers that put away the soap and the bucket. Given that this was pretty much a direct result of a bug (#2481 - they had spare shoes but refused to actually put them on), I felt justified in running dfcleanmap to remove that particular deathtrap.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 02:33:38 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.
Pages: 1 ... 484 485 [486] 487 488 ... 3842