Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 481 482 [483] 484 485 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6122091 times)

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #7230 on: October 23, 2010, 01:52:50 am »

The mayor banned shield exports just after I traded a bunch of them to the caravan...while they're still trading at the depot.

better buy 'em back, quick!
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #7231 on: October 23, 2010, 03:13:13 am »

If your mayor is also your broker and you sell a forbidden item, does he put himself in jail?
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #7232 on: October 23, 2010, 03:26:00 am »

An acid breathing wyvern came.  I have no military yet, so I just ordered everyone inside and closed the drawbridge.  She destroyed a workshop I still had outside.  Somehow she managed to melt every layer of fat over her entire body in the process and bled all over the place.  She rested up for a while and then destroyed my trade depot.  Her stomach, heart, lower spine, and brain rotted.  She kept going.  She limped brokenly after a stray animal.  She dies.  I check her description from the unit screen.  Only one wound is listed -- "Her upper body is gone."

So... these creatures can live thousands of years, right?
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7233 on: October 23, 2010, 03:30:40 am »

The mayor banned shield exports just after I traded a bunch of them to the caravan...while they're still trading at the depot.

better buy 'em back, quick!
No, a stupid ban like that and you better give your mayor a magma bath, quick!
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #7234 on: October 23, 2010, 05:12:43 am »

After last ambush all but 3 dorfs died. Surviors barricaded doors, but they had to hunt vermin for food. Dwarven merchants came and saved the fort, but after they left immigrants came and were ambushed. Only milker and planter made it inside, while about 10+ dwarfs died. The total death toll is over 100 right now. This save is my first reclaim fort game.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7235 on: October 23, 2010, 09:32:14 am »

Just genned a new world. Embarked on a cold, haunted forest with an aquifer. Trying to freeze my way through the aquifer, I've run into the incredibly annoying icefloor bug.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #7236 on: October 23, 2010, 10:23:26 am »

If your mayor is also your broker and you sell a forbidden item, does he put himself in jail?

Only if he's also the sheriff.

Just genned a new world. Embarked on a cold, haunted forest with an aquifer. Trying to freeze my way through the aquifer, I've run into the incredibly annoying icefloor bug.

Icefloor bug? That doesn't sound fun. At all.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 10:25:37 am by Double A »
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7237 on: October 23, 2010, 11:10:19 am »

What I'm referring to is the oddity in which ice doesn't make a floor above it when it freezes until you build, then remove a floor, which adds a very tedious extra step to channeling down.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7238 on: October 23, 2010, 11:56:13 am »

Another attack of the horrible shruk* occured. This time my traps and markdwarves killed the better armed ones, and the recruits armed in iron (this is 40d) prevailed through rest.

Casaulties: 1 poor woodcutter that got pounced outside, one recruit with torn out throat (bled to death of course), and one dwarf with punctured liver. Poor dude.

This marks second year with siege instead of human caravan...

Also, I just got a funny engraving. It's a dark background with grey dot inside (normally it's reverse (example: moon)) and it relates to killing of '' the unknown creature by one of dwarven heroes of Longhammer, ~60 years ago.

*Modded race, half goblins, half chimpanzee.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

McDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7239 on: October 23, 2010, 12:00:07 pm »

Just had a mechanic go secretive, so I decided to play with the burrows.

Rorash Eshik, The Calamity of Rending, a obsidian mechanisms
Weight: 53
Value: 63600
This is a obsidian mechanisms. All craftdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with obsidian and encircled with bands of obsidian, cave spider silk and pine. This object is adorned with hanging rings of obsidian and menaces with spikes of obsidian and green glass. On the item is an image of two broad crosses in obsidian. On the item is an image of thin crosses in obsidian.

On the item is an image of dwarves in obsidian. The dwarves are laboring. The artwork relates to the foundation of Dentstaves by The Moist Banner of The Exalted Boulder in the early spring of 1051.

On the item is an image of a backpack in obsidian. On the item is an image of tall crosses in obsidian.

On the item is an image of Idos Defensegorged, the deity of victory, war and fortresses, depicted as a female dwarf in obsidian. Idos Defensegorged is striking a triumphant pose.

On the item is an image of Soulcleared the gold pick in obsidian. On the item is an image of tall crosses in blind cave bear leather.

On the item is an image of Idos Defensegorged, the deity of victory, war and fortresses, depicted as a female dwarf in copper. Idos Defensegorged is engraving.

On the item is an image of Cog Lanterncalmed the dwarf in copper.
---------------------

I don't know who Cog Lanterncalmed is, he doesn't live in my fort.

I think I am going to set this mechanism up as a lever connected to some serrated disc traps to see what kind of calamity of rending it can cause.

caknuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7240 on: October 23, 2010, 12:02:59 pm »

Meng, my manager who failed their possession mood due to a lack of silk and went melancholy, finally died. This gives me a reason to begin work on the mausoleum level. Normally I would build a tomb for a dwarf who held an office at (or near) the time of their death. But because a) she wasted my first weaponsmithing mood on a frickin' possession and b) went nuts because she needed literally the only raw material we didn't have on hand, she gets a grave in the proles' graveyard.

The game giveth as well: my next mood was a fey hauler who had been given a little remedial training as an armorsmith. He grabbed a single bar of bronze and made an artifact low boot. So now we'll be getting some masterwork armor for the Reliquary.
Quote from: Primary
*Kneels before Urist Dickpuncher*

Hydra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7241 on: October 23, 2010, 12:14:44 pm »

Had a nice fort gong on, 24 dwarves, had a good metalworking and farming op going. And then I made the mistake of churning out a lot of golden doors and tables and such to decorate my dwarves living quarters: double ambush with no traps and no military, I had no weapons or armor and the front door was open: a group of goblin crossbowmen + group of goblin swordsmen versus my 24 barechested wrestlers.

10 died from the goblins and the rest dove into a trantrum spiral.

Also: did I mention I forgot to enable autosaving?

Ouch :(

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7242 on: October 23, 2010, 12:45:09 pm »

With only one dwarf and some animals left alive, my fortress plunges forwards into the great unknowns of the future. I have to keep him locked inside whenever the beak dogs appear on the map, though. I would have to to keep the harpies out as well but I haven't seen any of those all year. A shame really, he's probably getting lonely without his lover around. Maybe I should keep him walled off from everyone else when migrants finally come...

Migrants! Deliciously unluckily numbered migrants! (13 hehehe) I've already sealed the smith away in his own little world to build the house of his dreams (partly because he's a wanted criminal and I don't want him getting killed), and now I can build a magnificent city for the others as well, not to mention drop some more goods down for the smith to use and put a roof on the walls of his farming area in the first caverns. There was a family of four among the migrants, hopefully they will survive long enough to contribute further to our population.

Nope. the wife was immediately eaten alive by beak dogs. Luckily there is another married couple...
Two people dead and they've only been here for a few hours, wow.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 02:10:47 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Lord Vetinari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7243 on: October 23, 2010, 04:19:19 pm »

A lucky sequence of moods: a silver table with images about the foundation of the fort, a golden short sword and a ruby coffin with images of the aforementioned sword.
The baron is going to be happy (if I manage to lock my mayor next time the liason comes).

Cabbagetroll

• Bay Watcher
  • likes weiner dogs for their endless pluck
    • View Profile
« Reply #7244 on: October 23, 2010, 04:45:35 pm »

Three (in-game) years ago, I had a newly-arrived craftsdwarf get injured by a visiting giantess. He was paralyzed, and went off to live in the dwarven butcher shop (Hospital). There he lay, utterly alone. The only acquaintance he had on his relationship list was the manager/broker/record keeper/head doctor. For three years, the manager dutifully checked his wounds, brought him food and water, and apparently got to know the cripple fairly well, somehow always keeping himself distant. Suddenly, there was a food crisis (I forgot to build more than one kitchen, and my fort had reached the 170 mark; FUN). My manager could not take care of the guy, nor could anyone else, because there was no food. In my mad rush to get everyone fed, I received the Urist McParalyzed has starved to death message. Worried about the emotions of my manager, I checked his status.

"Urist McManager has been quite happy lately."

He didn't even have McCraftsdwarf's death on is mind. At all. The terrible tragedy of this lonely dwarf's lifetime was capped off when I checked his after-death status screen. Under it was listed a single line:
Holdings: Grave
I love this game
Pages: 1 ... 481 482 [483] 484 485 ... 3842