Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 480 481 [482] 483 484 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6122081 times)

caknuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #7215 on: October 21, 2010, 11:54:09 pm »

Finally one of the correct dwarves mooded: my expedition manager who I had leveled up to Novice weaponsmith. But of course, it's a possession. Fuck. So now she's squatting in a magma forge demanding silk. It's midsummer, so I have three options:
- breach the caverns and hope I find webs   
- hope she can hold out for another four months
- find a new dope to be the manager and lock the door to the workshop

She didn't last a month before going melancholy. After pulling the Debbie Downer routine in the dining room for a while, she's started wandering around the stockrooms. I wish she'd just launched herself into the magma channel right off the bat and saved me the trouble. Thankfully, she is friends with only two other dwarves (neither of whom are terribly important, and both of whom are happy right now) and has no other meaningful relationships.

I just picked the first peasant out of the unit list to be the new manager. It turns out that he likes basalt, aluminum, tower cap wood, barrels and hoods (among other, less mundane stuff). And no less than five different types of food (anchovies, lungfish, dwarven wine, wild strawberries and cave wheat seeds). Zuglar Tishisvabôk, I now dub you "Baron-Elect".
Quote from: Primary
*Kneels before Urist Dickpuncher*

StreetPizza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7216 on: October 22, 2010, 12:18:40 am »

Just found my first ever vein of Raw Adamantine. Now to get to it, seeing as how it's on the other side of the magma sea, make stuff out of it, and breach it for great fun!
the soapmaker Urist McSudsy has come!  Beware his deadly cleansing action!

LealNightrunner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7217 on: October 22, 2010, 12:22:53 am »

I realize your fortress is pretty much crumbling into pieces... but how'd you get through the aquifer, and how thick was it?

Two z levels. Since the map is frozen 10 out of 12 months of the year all i had to do was channel and the ramp made would instantly freeze into a block of ice when the water poured in. That's how my miners all died, they kept walking through the ramp to get back to the meeting zone as it filled and froze over. Not a good idea actually. :P There are only two sane dwarves left, one head smith with his babbling naked lover (yay for him on the naked part?) and one soldier that fails to give two shits. the other four survivors were eaten by beak dogs.

Just pierce the aquifer through a more conventional means if you ever want to; dwarves simply can't comprehend the world around them yet and don't realize that water+freezing biome+dwarf in watery tile=harpy lick (like a salt lick except meatier)

Ah... I have the misfortune of having a 3-Z aquifer, and two of them are unsmoothable soil.  I got through the first layer pretty easily but this introduced the problem that as you go down each Z you rapidly run out of space to operate pumps, cause each level shrinks your available space by 2 on the width and length... My map does Freeze, for about 20 days in the dead of winter,  very narrow window to work with but that's probably going to be my last ditch effort.
Current Fort: NatureRags

Beardless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7218 on: October 22, 2010, 01:23:03 am »

The Realm of Winds has been generated!  STRIKE THE EARTH--Holy shit there's a chain of volcanoes in a Terrifying glacier.  I MUST.

Edit: Further dilemma.  The glacier with the volcano, or the area where the terrifyinjg glacier overlaps the terrifying arctic ocean?  Decisions...

I've been trying to generate something like that for a WEEK! (Well, that, or anything with cliffs. Either one would have been fine, really.) Now I also have a dilemma: Beg for a copy of The Realm of Winds, or hit the embark button because I just spent four hours preparing for the journey? (And I'm not even done yet...)

[Pre-post edit:] Invested too much time to abandon without embarking. Strike the earth! (After finishing the preparations...)
So it turns out that dumping magma on skeletons is either a really bad idea or maybe like the best idea ever.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7219 on: October 22, 2010, 01:26:49 am »

Just embarked on a volcano in the ocean by a river. Woah.

EDIT:

ANIMALS NEED TO EAT NOW? FUCK!

EDIT:

Great. Now the only fertile animals in my fort just died.

EDIT:

Now everything's dead. What's the butcher doing? HAULING STONE. WHY DOES HAULING TAKE PRECEDENCE OVER MAKING FOOD.

EDIT:

Now she's lost her mind because all her pets died. Abandoning fort. After three minutes.

EDIT:

Reclaming. Why does the prepare screen start with plant fiber items when silk is cheaper? Why is silk cheaper, for that matter?

EDIT:

DF crashed. Fuck it.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 02:07:58 am by Schilcote »
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #7220 on: October 22, 2010, 04:17:15 am »

Dirgebrain:

Gem Cutter goes berserk. Kills several lesser drones. Cornered in a farm plot space by a swarm of dogs, which she proceeds to kill one by one, although her guts are hanging out and she's lost both legs. She defeats THEM ALL, crawls upstairs, and the hoi polloi are evacuating because nobody is stopping this lunatic. She gets caged, and now I have a freak for my freak show.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

WrathNail

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: too awesome to use]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7221 on: October 22, 2010, 04:18:32 am »

Finally brought the glass industry of Cunningmind up to speed (12 glass furnaces, 8 glassmakers)

Now my dwarves can finally emerge from their underground lair and build a grand spire out of green glass.
And we, build up castles
in the sky and in the sand.
Design our own world
ain't nobody understand.

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #7222 on: October 22, 2010, 06:57:43 am »

I just had an awesome idea.

Since my fort is a manmade cave that surrounds a volcano, I shall dig out the surrounding area to create a huge sort of empty mountain of sorts.

Then I will make a platform somewhat high up, create an artificial channel and set up a 4x3 area with a hole in it.  The area will be linked to the volcano by the artificial channel.

NEXT!  I create a pump at the beginning and end of the channel, then pierce into the volcano such that I have a non-pressured vent up, from which I draw magma using the pump.  Meanwhile, I have the end pump always turning to pick up every piece of magma it can lay its pumpies on.  Doing this, I slowly shove magma into my channel until my platform hole has 7/7 magma.  Once this is done, I shutoff both pumps, then carefully undo the channel so the remainder of the magma spreads out and evaporates.

So, I am left with a small bowl of magma filled with an individual portion, onto which I can build a forge or a smelter.

Rinse and repeat, and I shall have a suspended forge complex around the volcano.

BONUS!  Do the same but seal the cubes, such that I can have... say... clear glass cubes full o' magma.  I could put one above each forge such that they act as a light source!  :D
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 07:00:05 am by Shurikane »

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7223 on: October 22, 2010, 09:12:35 am »

I just had an awesome idea.

Since my fort is a manmade cave that surrounds a volcano, I shall dig out the surrounding area to create a huge sort of empty mountain of sorts.

Then I will make a platform somewhat high up, create an artificial channel and set up a 4x3 area with a hole in it.  The area will be linked to the volcano by the artificial channel.

NEXT!  I create a pump at the beginning and end of the channel, then pierce into the volcano such that I have a non-pressured vent up, from which I draw magma using the pump.  Meanwhile, I have the end pump always turning to pick up every piece of magma it can lay its pumpies on.  Doing this, I slowly shove magma into my channel until my platform hole has 7/7 magma.  Once this is done, I shutoff both pumps, then carefully undo the channel so the remainder of the magma spreads out and evaporates.

So, I am left with a small bowl of magma filled with an individual portion, onto which I can build a forge or a smelter.

Rinse and repeat, and I shall have a suspended forge complex around the volcano.

BONUS!  Do the same but seal the cubes, such that I can have... say... clear glass cubes full o' magma.  I could put one above each forge such that they act as a light source!  :D

Dwarfy.

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7224 on: October 22, 2010, 06:23:30 pm »

(When things are slow at work, I occasionally journal to help me plan out my evening play of DF. This entry is taken from that.)

So, I'm playing "CloisteredWind" (random name generator is occasionally awesome and funny!), my 0.31.16 original fortress last night. Life is swell for my dwarves (other than the lack of dimple cup seeds, but I'm planning to request those, as well as more gold bars, from the dwarven traders when they show up this year). I decided to floor my fortress reservoir room's floor with cobaltite blocks. It's got cobaltite block ramps down into the reservoir, making access to the water trivial for any dwarf that wants to play in the water (fish, wash, get a bucket of water, whatever). I've got a cobaltite floodgate for the aqueduct inlet control gate to the reservoir, and it is linked to a masterful cobaltite lever in my basic office block to allow future filling when desired. I have a safety door installed behind the floodgate, and the sand floor portion of the aqueduct has been covered in cobaltite block flooring. I'm thinking about covering the rest of the actual aqueduct and reservoir tank floor in cobaltite blocks, just for the fun of it. It won't really matter once water flows, since it will be covered in water and mud, but I'll know it is there, and anything worth doing is worth over doing.

There's an access tunnel down to the reservoir tank floor.

I've cut the drainage tunnel for the reservoir tank. I will have to pump the water out to drain the reservoir tank, but that's ok. I've covered the drainage tunnel floor in cobaltite blocks. I've made 2 cobaltite grates. One will block the drainage tunnel exit, and the other will be installed into aqueduct tunnel once the brook has been cut into.

I've got a silver pump installed in the drainage tunnel.

I just tore down the wall guarding the drainage tunnel's outflow, as I'm about to install the new cobaltite grate. After the grate is installed, I plan to cut a moat out in front of it to make sure no non-flyer will be able to reach it. Just in case...

I get a siege, right then and there. The attacking force: 40 trolls, 40 goblin lashers riding 40 jabberers lead by a goblin lasher lord. This was a sign of the respect CloisteredWind has earned from goblins, as only 1 ambush out of the 18 in the past 4.5 years (yes, an ambush EVERY SEASON--- most built up, and were triggered on the elf and dwarven caravans coming to the fortress) had ever returned. "No problem", I think. "Just button up, do the trolls separate from the goblins, and I can finish off my reservoir while all that is going on." So, civilians go on alert (limiting them to the interior fortress burrow) and I close the inner drawbridge while the outer remains down. This allows trolls to run into my trapped entrance, to try tp reach the doors and trade depot that are still reachable while the outer drawbridge is down. Goblins are mulling around, not wanting to truly attack the fortress that no goblin has returned since discovering its existence (ie, the very first ambush). Everything is going according to plan.

"Humm," I think. "Can a troll destroy a screw pump?"

The answer is: Yes.

ARG!

I did actually cage trap THAT troll. I had installed a trap in the screw pump access tunnel (to catch any critters that might wander through while the drain tunnel was being opened to the outside while the silver screw pump was installed). But the damage is done. Another troll runs through the new open spot and then charges through the 2 tile wall I am hastily building by the access point to the main stairs. More precisely, the 2 tile wall that is already built on 1 tile, and suspended on the other, as a couple of legendary dwarves ran through the gap to GRAB THE TRAPPED TROLL IN A CAGE AND GRAB SOME OF THE BROKEN BITS OF THE SILVER SCREW PUMP! I pause the game, unburrow the reservoir room branch of my fortress and draft a militia ("just in case"). I tell the militia to station up by the emergency wall. The troll charges after the now RETREATING dwarves. Oh, if only those had been some of my many, many, many useless dwarves my fortress had attracted over the past few years. Like the new dwarves running through the wall's gap to do who knows what--- it seems they haven't realized that area is no longer part of the allowed fortress burrow. Most of those dwarves are "junk", so they can die and the fortress won't miss them. The last important dwarf runs through the gap, I unsuspend the wall as soon as he passes it--- and one of the legendaries, who was just RUNNING for his life from the troll RIGHT BEHIND HIM, decides to make a desperate bid at the masonry to close out the troll--- only the troll gets too close and he runs off, so scared he's yanking his beard out and tossing bits of it behind him, trying to blind the troll, if only for a second. My drafted militia surge forward, and the troll proceeds to kill FIVE of them before a lucky strike of an iron sword beheads him. The damned troll was fighting bare handed! They, on there other hand, are not. They had time to grab the goblinite stuff (armor and weapons) before reporting in. What a monster troll that was!

With the fall of the troll at the gap, my mason dwarves run to close the gap (for a third time!), but two more trolls have come through the drainage tunnel. One is enjoying tearing up all the nice doors in that end of the fortress (crunch all you like, we will make more). The other charged at the tattered remains of my militia, standing guard over the only gap in the fortress's defenses. I draft more useless dwarves into the militia, and they go running to their squad's station point. Before the mason can finish that last emergency wall tile, he sees a troll coming his way (the sharp eyed bastard!) and runs off (NO! FINISH THE WALL YOU STUPID DWARF! ARG!). The tattered veterans surge forth, and all 5 get smacked down by this troll just as the new raw recruits show up to station. Troll proceeds to destroy them quickly as well. They literally rout in the face of this champion troll who can slaughter armed and armored dwarves with ease, and they run away... back to the meeting zone to be precise. I didn't know that it was possible for militia dwarves to simply rout!

The troll chases them, and has a great time killing the remaining 98 dwarves (108 before the siege started, 98 after a full militia squad is killed by 2 trolls!) of the fortress until a STRAY CAT kills it. Wow. Monster Troll killed 20 dwarves singlehanded (many of them new militia recruits with iron and copper weapons in hand!), and a STRAY CAT killed it. That cat must have been a Siberian tiger masquerading as a small vermin hunter!

Unfortunately, at this point, it doesn't matter. Other trolls had wandered through the silver strewn troll hole, and were having fun destroying buildings. Just as the STRAY CAT slaughters the grendel the super troll, the actual sieging force of 40 goblin lashers all riding jabberers have finally streamed through the troll hole. FUN happens.

I manage to create an outside evacuation zone for my dwarves. It is set up on the OTHER SIDE of my trapped entrance hall. Originally, I had raised the "Welcome mat" drawbridge so I could clean the weapon traps that had chewed up over 30 trolls. Yes--- over 30 trolls. Just as I was going to reset my traps to handle the goblins and their mounts, one of the few straggler trolls had created the troll hole. Whoops. While my initial militia were making a stand at the emergency wall, I had dropped that bridge back into its normal place, as half my weapon traps in my trapped entrance were still operable after the trolls had been so kind to charge into the trapped entrance hall. All the cage traps in it still stood ready. So if the civilians INSIDE my fortress could path out through the traps, the goblins would chase them through the trapped entrance, and get cut down or caged. If I could just get the numbers of goblins down enough with the traps, they would rout, and my fortress would survive another day.

Only two of my civilian dwarves made it to the safety of the entrance hall, and then to outside. A dwarf child and my new immigrant LEGENDARY FURNACE OPERATOR that had just arrived the month before this siege began (bet he was regretting that decision!). Inside the fortress, my ORIGINAL LEGENDARY MINER was all that survived. He was part of my "original 7", the designated miner of the group. He was still trapped inside the fortress with all the surviving goblins and trolls between himself and the safety zone just outside the trapped entrance. At this point, he had slaughtered 6 trolls, 7 jabberers, and 5 goblins single handedly (literally, they'd cut off or disabled one of his arms early in the fighting), using his original pick, and wearing his now very blood soaked worn cloth outfit (gloves, cap, hood, dress, trousers, boots, socks, cloak). He was now listed as the town mayor--- given that title, apparently, by the new immigrant furnace operator, as all the rest of the mayors had died in slaughter or battle during the siege.

I created a new burrow over the traps, and set my furnace operator to only have the labor "mechanic" enabled, as if he could clear a few of the troll bits from the traps at the entrance, the fortress would survive this most brilliantly timed siege. He immediately set to clearing the nearest traps. Just after clearing the second trap, he became mayor--- the legendary miner had finally died to a strike by a goblin attacker. He was fighting with his pick IN HIS MOUTH as they'd somehow cut off or disabled his pick swinging arm (with WHIPS, mind you--- thems some bad ass goblins, able to destroy limb usage with just a few hits from whips).

As the new fortress MAYOR he IMMEDIATELY stopped clearing the traps. Instead, he returned to the evacuation zone and proceeded to attend a meeting with the last dwarf child in which the child complained to the new mayor about HOW BAD IT SUCKS TO HAVE 40 WHIP USING GOBLINS RIDING 40 JABBERERS AND 40 TROLLS ATTACK YOUR HOME AND SLAUGHTER EVERYONE BUT THE TWO OF YOU. The goblins, overhearing this gripe session, had an easy solution, and they implemented it. They attacked the two remaining dwarves.

Just over 30 goblins and 25 jabberers went INTO the trapped entrance tunnel. Only 6 goblins came out, and all bleeding profusely from the stumps of their wrists (and the other wounds they'd suffered from the large spinning steel discs, not to mention prior wounds from the stray cats and the odd pet animals and even a few dwarf attacks). But 1 of the 6 goblins that survived was the lasher lord, and as long as he wasn't running off to die, neither could the lesser goblins. The six of them easily struck down the legendary furnace operator, the last mayor of CloisteredWind, who dutifully listened to the child complain rather than clear the weapon traps that would save both of their lives. The child dwarf, enraged at not having any adult dwarf to complain to once the mayor died, killed FIVE of the remaining goblins. But the goblin lasher lord was too agile for the child, and finally struck the child in the brain with his magical goblin whip, killing the child. And so, the goblin lasher lord, bleeding from his cut off right hand, as well as bleeding from his eviscerated abdomen, where large spinning steel disc traps had DISEMBOWELLED HIM (and still he fought on), became a new god to goblins everywhere. He was the goblin whose foresight, cunning, leadership, and toughness allowed him to strike at the exact right time to destroy the dwarven fortress "CloisteredWind". Goblins everywhere now sing of his deeds, and steel their courage with images of his mightiness and deeds, whenever they lay siege to a dwarf goblin destroying fortress. They praise his name and sing of his very blood washing away their fears as they charge through the goblin hell of dwarven trapped hallways, and pray that some of his strength soaks in them as they are trapped in drowning chambers. If the great lasher lord can slaughter a dwarven fortress with just few goblins and whips, then they too may do the same.

Note: I think it is funny that if the child hadn't complained to the mayor at that exact time, both of them would have survived that siege, as the "newly drafted mechanic" would have been able to clear a few more traps. The traps at the entrance were extremely effective, and a couple more of those would have been enough to save the dwarves. It was my ignorance of trolls being able to destroy a pump from its "obstacle" side that created this problem. It was my not wanting to sacrifice a few valuable dwarves that allowed the problem to escalate into fortress destroying FUN. I laugh about this, as it was the best possible time for the siege to attack, as if I'd finished my drainage tunnel with its grate and protective moat, my fortress would have gone back to being perfectly impregnable again.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7225 on: October 22, 2010, 07:09:12 pm »

The mayor banned shield exports just after I traded a bunch of them to the caravan...while they're still trading at the depot.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7226 on: October 22, 2010, 08:12:27 pm »

I just realized the area I'm digging out for my big iron tunnel includes a river... I guess I'll have to reroute one of them.  Probably the river.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7227 on: October 22, 2010, 08:34:10 pm »

Update on the Realm of Winds:

I looked around this world and it has seriously awesome embark points.  I couldn't choose.  So...I made copies of it lol.  I plan to go through and build forst on all the awesome sites, slowly but surely.

Frozentombs, the embark on the Terrifying Glacier volcano, is doing surprisingly well.  A hastily built wall, moat, and drawbridge has protected the dorfs from the wandering zombie/skeletal/normal yetis.  (Seriously, ALL THERE IS) and I've dug out so much ore I'm swimming in it.  For the hell of it I've built an electrum skybridge to the edge of the map and only used half of my supply.  That much ore.  Magma smelters make me abuse metal.  Too bad I'm missing sedimentary for coke, can't quite make steel yet, but I've ordered that to come in droves, hopefully, from the caravan so I can get my hands on steel (there's several marble layers for flux.)

Now what to do all this metal...

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #7228 on: October 22, 2010, 10:41:15 pm »

Fort name: Luckychambers
Group name: Diamondballs the Scourge of Bitches

Looking for tin, amusing myself with mechanisms and water. Unfortunately, half of what I have been using to divert my attention to the growing yearometer has frozen. Having a lot of fun watching the goblins drown.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7229 on: October 23, 2010, 01:37:46 am »

Mid Autumn of 106 in the Town of DreamLetter, pop. 124

I've strip-mined about a third of an entire z-level below the first caverns, in a quest for gold. Lots of granite, and I've accumulated a sizable stash of silver and platinum, but thus far, no gold. The mining will continue until I have a gold statue.

One of my miners is in the hospital with multiple compound fractures, suggesting a fall injury. No channeling projects were started, so I can only surmise that he fell off the stairs, probably part-way down the Pit-O-Doom while collecting goblinite. He's currently getting lots of medical attention, and I hope that no software bug destroys his recovery. Edit: The software bug turned into an in-game bug, and he died of the infection.

I'm beginning to feel the ill effects of FPS droppage; the seasons are taking much longer, and the pace is screwing with my sense of the passage of time.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 05:47:24 am by AngleWyrm »
Pages: 1 ... 480 481 [482] 483 484 ... 3842