Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 479 480 [481] 482 483 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6122289 times)

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #7200 on: October 21, 2010, 07:17:42 pm »

I am attempting to replace my microcline walls with walls made entirely out of cat soap. Perhaps I'll go into the raws so that I can have some walls made entirely out of elf soap some time...

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7201 on: October 21, 2010, 07:18:54 pm »

my world contains...

10517 harpies
   5139 werewolves
   2696 ogres
   13620 giant jaguars
   13417 giant leopards
   7048 giant desert scorpions
   5753 blizzard men
   12455 ice wolves
   1035 nightwings
   28476 dark gnomes
   1 sea monster
   21637 tigermen

1 sea monster? if I could catch it... The next most endangered species would be satyrs, at 172. It's their own fault for being entirely male.

So I embarked on a frozen evil tundra/marsh mixed biome with a few aquifers. Not a big deal I thought, I'd just have to build/deconstruct some floors over the "open space" left by the ice forming in the channels and have an open pit for an entrance the first year or so. I was wrong. All four of my miners encased themselves in ice while digging through the first aquifer. ALL OF THEM. I only brought four picks!

I just save-scummed... Such a hard blow to my sanity.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 07:54:07 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Super2goten

« Reply #7202 on: October 21, 2010, 07:25:33 pm »

I am just three pumps away from being able to turn on my very first pump stack. I probably should have practised with water, but I want a damn magma moat, even if it has to be pumped up 57 levels!

Something is going to go horribly wrong D:

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #7203 on: October 21, 2010, 08:38:11 pm »

I am just three pumps away from being able to turn on my very first pump stack. I probably should have practised with water, but I want a damn magma moat, even if it has to be pumped up 57 levels!

Something is going to go horribly wrong D:

I also have had only one pump stack, and it was indeed for magma. Protip; Magma Mist is not nearly as happiness inducing as regular Mist.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7204 on: October 21, 2010, 08:49:34 pm »

I just save-scummed... Such a hard blow to my sanity.

Dwarf Fortress: Roll for SAN loss.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Kiktamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7205 on: October 21, 2010, 09:03:09 pm »

my world contains...

10517 harpies
   5139 werewolves
   2696 ogres
   13620 giant jaguars
   13417 giant leopards
   5753 blizzard men
   12455 ice wolves
   1035 nightwings
   28476 dark gnomes
   1 sea monster
   21637 tigermen

1 sea monster? if I could catch it... The next most endangered species would be satyrs, at 172. It's their own fault for being entirely male.

I've always wondered how do you get a list like that for a world?

Anyway to bad it's not 2 sea monsters that way you could attempt to breed them to repopulate their species.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7206 on: October 21, 2010, 09:12:06 pm »

my world contains...

10517 harpies
   5139 werewolves
   2696 ogres
   13620 giant jaguars
   13417 giant leopards
   5753 blizzard men
   12455 ice wolves
   1035 nightwings
   28476 dark gnomes
   1 sea monster
   21637 tigermen

I've always wondered how do you get a list like that for a world?

Anyway to bad it's not 2 sea monsters that way you could attempt to breed them to repopulate their species.

during generation immediately after accepting a world, or while not playing in legends mode, there is an option (I think it's 'p' for both) that says something along the lines of 'export world gen info'. In one of the .txt files called "[world's folder name]-world_sites_and_pops", at the very bottom, there is the complete listing of animal populations both above and below ground, including undead.

Anyway, I left the game running while pertaining to my needs, and it turns out my group was attacked by a pack of four beak dogs. All the beak dogs were killed, with the only friendly casualty being the woodsman's kitten. she did own both of our cats, but one was encased in ice...
It is not a good day to be small and adorable.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Kiktamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7207 on: October 21, 2010, 09:45:40 pm »

Cool thanks a bunch....hmm? my current world has only 6 giant desert scorpions I must capture them for !!SCIENCE!!

Super2goten

« Reply #7208 on: October 21, 2010, 10:18:05 pm »

Turns out I actually made a working magma pump stack first try, who knew my dwarves were so competent? Only problem is there was some lignite in the moat area and now my fort entrance is a huge smoky mess... Well actually, that doesn't sound too bad considering it's the way all of the trade comes through... Yes Elves, that is a smoky fiery mess, don't you dare try conning me! Muahaa

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7209 on: October 21, 2010, 10:24:24 pm »

The Realm of Winds has been generated!  STRIKE THE EARTH--Holy shit there's a chain of volcanoes in a Terrifying glacier.  I MUST.

Edit: Further dilemma.  The glacier with the volcano, or the area where the terrifyinjg glacier overlaps the terrifying arctic ocean?  Decisions...
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 10:27:04 pm by Clover Magic »

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7210 on: October 21, 2010, 10:50:12 pm »

The ocean has walruses. Walri. Possibly skeletal. Why the hell not?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7211 on: October 21, 2010, 10:57:43 pm »

Alright, I successfully breached the aquifer this time, only 3 miners and the head woodsman lost to their own stupidity.

Make that 4 miners lost... at least one of them was a migrant with his own pick.

And our expedition leader just killed two dwarves and one of the horses while tantruming, she was then killed by the next person she attacked, who is mortally wounded. The liaison was here at the time and got all pissy. The farmer toppled our butchers shop in her own little hissy fit, threw a bunch of crap in the general direction of the natives (harpies  :-X), and proceeded to attack more of our precious few livestock animals. Another dwarf was murdered by some random friend of half the people that have died... they aren't even spending much time idling, how the hell have they become friends?

This isn't going to end well.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 11:19:04 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!

LealNightrunner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7212 on: October 21, 2010, 11:22:34 pm »

I realize your fortress is pretty much crumbling into pieces... but how'd you get through the aquifer, and how thick was it?
Current Fort: NatureRags

!!crundle!!

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERYONE, I AM ON FIRE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7213 on: October 21, 2010, 11:42:30 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
w̷̦̬̹̣͕̙͖͑̓̌̓̑̄͒͋͜͝h̙̩͈̱͚̳̳̪͖̙͕̥̳ͥ̍̔͂̑̿̓̍̑ͣ͆̅̀͢y̧̼̭͎͓̟̺͉̰͎̱̜ͫ̂́͗̐̑́w̢̬̪͈̲̽̋́̈̓ͨ̄͐̿̓ͧ̇ͩ̏ͫ̑̎͟͡ḩ̡͍̫̣̹̬̙̭͊ͯͯ̉͡y̔ͥ̏͛̀̂̎̆ͥͮ̐̍̈̏͆̓̅̒҉̢̘͚͎̠̻̣̯̥̠̙̤̪̮̝̲̜̪́̕̕ͅw̸̗̻̱ͭͣͦͤ̇̑̅͗ͨͬ͋̉͊ͨ͂͜hͩͪ̋ͣ̇̔͂ͧ̍̾͂͏̨̠͕̼̟͙̳̺͕̥͔̜̮̩̰̲̞̼y̴̸̵̪͕̜̪̙̦̘ͧ̽̇ͭͭͬͯ̾̈́̐̂̉͆͒ͤ̌̀̕w̺̟͙͙̭͇̟̮͉̯͈͖̩͔͊͛ͧͯ̀̿ͣͪ͂ͪ͘̕͠ͅh̷̴̷̢͉͖̺̦̣͙̓ͧ̅͋ͪ̾̓͒̌̒ͯ̇́ͯ̕y̋ͪ̓̒̈́͞͏̤̗̞̲̪͚̮̤̫̪̺̪̫̕w̸͔̺̱̼̪̮̘̟͖̭̱͓͈̜͇͚͉̙͊̈́ͦ̅̋̂ͩ̓͗́̚͡ͅĥ̶̨̟̺͕̌͆͒͑ͦͨ̉͆͜͜ý̧͓̼̘̯͉̘̺̩͇̻͈͔̖͎̜͍ͭ̌ͩ͟͝͞

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7214 on: October 21, 2010, 11:44:47 pm »

I realize your fortress is pretty much crumbling into pieces... but how'd you get through the aquifer, and how thick was it?

Two z levels. Since the map is frozen 10 out of 12 months of the year all i had to do was channel and the ramp made would instantly freeze into a block of ice when the water poured in. That's how my miners all died, they kept walking through the ramp to get back to the meeting zone as it filled and froze over. Not a good idea actually. :P There are only two sane dwarves left, one head smith with his babbling naked lover (yay for him on the naked part?) and one soldier that fails to give two shits. the other four survivors were eaten by beak dogs.

Just pierce the aquifer through a more conventional means if you ever want to; dwarves simply can't comprehend the world around them yet and don't realize that water+freezing biome+dwarf in watery tile=harpy lick (like a salt lick except meatier)
I make Spellcrafts!
Pages: 1 ... 479 480 [481] 482 483 ... 3842