Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 474 475 [476] 477 478 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6122770 times)

Ivar360

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #7125 on: October 18, 2010, 05:24:33 am »

After 8 long years I had a 10 dwarf squad in full adamantine gear and 7 of them at legendary skill.
Between them responsible for the death of 6 FB's, a Titan and about 60 goblins.

Then a new FB shows up and kills ALL OF THEM in a single burp of evil dust.........

I still have 4 elite crossbowdwarfs but they refuse to shoot at anything. No room for new recruits as 70% of my population exists of children.

Victuz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7126 on: October 18, 2010, 07:52:11 am »

Well I just embarked on a new area and my dwarves instantly died. At first I thought I didn't repair the raws for thermonuclear cats I created (for fun, look it up in youtube) but it wasn't that.

It seems one of the caverns below me was not entirely safe and when the amassed weight of 7 dwarven peasants (No skills at all), 4 dogs, 2 cats, 1 horse and 4 cows appeared on the land it tipped the "weight balance" of the area. Thus my dwarves instantly went about 14z levels down when the land underneath heir feet just FELL DOWN. Those who survived (2 dwarves both with broken legs) were happy at first.
But than came the magma. (apparently from the corner that did not collapse)

It was glorious.

I'm thinking of sending an adventurer there.
I once flung a migrant off a bridge. He collided with the brook cliff and died.
A year later, my legendary engraver engraved him colliding with an obstacle and dying.

WrathNail

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: too awesome to use]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7127 on: October 18, 2010, 07:59:15 am »

Building a glass tower fortress in the middle of an evil desert. It's name? Cunningmind. Yes, that's "Orthanc" in Rohirric for you Tolkien fans.

Now if only we could mine slade..
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 08:05:01 am by WrathNail »
And we, build up castles
in the sky and in the sand.
Design our own world
ain't nobody understand.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7128 on: October 18, 2010, 08:32:46 am »

My pet cat Fluffy has commanded that I build a giant cat statue over the entrance of my fort.
Fluffy should be introduced to Mr. Magma. I'm sure they'll get along quite warmly together.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7129 on: October 18, 2010, 08:52:10 am »

Well I just embarked on a new area and my dwarves instantly died. At first I thought I didn't repair the raws for thermonuclear cats I created (for fun, look it up in youtube) but it wasn't that.

It seems one of the caverns below me was not entirely safe and when the amassed weight of 7 dwarven peasants (No skills at all), 4 dogs, 2 cats, 1 horse and 4 cows appeared on the land it tipped the "weight balance" of the area. Thus my dwarves instantly went about 14z levels down when the land underneath heir feet just FELL DOWN. Those who survived (2 dwarves both with broken legs) were happy at first.

It was glorious.

Upload save.
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Gutanoth

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:ILLUSIONS OF GRANDEUR]
    • View Profile
    • Umomushil - the fortress of dark Ice, an overlord list compliant fort
« Reply #7130 on: October 18, 2010, 12:02:40 pm »

It was glorious.

It was glorious.

Damn is that an evocative image. I'm imagining a dwarf in a Che Guevara pose just standing there as the magma rises around the tiny hill he's standing on.
Look at what a totally original signature this is.

imajia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7131 on: October 18, 2010, 12:21:39 pm »

At first I thought, that the history of my civilization was quite embarrassing. I got artefacts with images of

- humans killing dwarves
- goblins killing dwarves
- trolls killing dwarves
- dwarves embracing elves

But finally I learned of an early era which makes me very proud:

"The dwarfs are massacring the elves"

This image is on a green glass bed :)

Beside this, I'm waiting for a forgotten beast which doesn't get killed by my chained mules  >:(

bowdown2q

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7132 on: October 18, 2010, 12:45:42 pm »

My fort was going great... no siege, >1000 booze, >1000 prepared meals (yay job manager O_O), smoothed 3-space rooms for every dwarf, smelted every ore i had...

Goblins has just shown up to kill some human caravan, and my military performed adequately, tho many were now bedridden for a while. Several broken bones meant that my doctors were now all standing at the pond with buckets going "hurf," but I forbade all buckets and plaster and hopes for the best.

I was juuuusssst searching for some flux so I could equip my two squads with steel everything when I noticed, in the constant stream of alert messages: "Urist McHauler cancels task: Interrupted by Forgotten Beast"

It turns out it had flown into an unprotected gap in my stairwell to the magma sea, and then got stuck in a corridor between 2 stairwells. Fortunaltey, I've had this dog problem - something like 30 war dogs had been bitting it since it came out of the pipe, leaving more than 100 pages of "dog bites FB! FB throws off dog. Dog bites FB!", and bruising literally EVERY part of this thing, including organs. I finally mange to draft 10 migrants form the lastest wave, and drag every military dwarf that could stand down to punch out the FB.

By the time it died, I had a total of 25 dead dwarves. Plus the entire millitary in hospital. Plus the doctors HURFING at the pond.

And the tantrums started O_O.
Most of my fort is now unhappy or under arrest for being unhappy.  Or under arrest and dead.

In good news, my glass-coffin crypt is finally established!

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7133 on: October 18, 2010, 12:46:53 pm »

Unfortunately, the...
"The dwarfs are massacring the elves"
... might have touched off the...
- humans killing dwarves
- goblins killing dwarves
- trolls killing dwarves
- dwarves embracing elves
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

lastrix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7134 on: October 18, 2010, 01:54:44 pm »

Right now i'm looking at an FPS-eater ( Skeletal Buzz ) which swims in magma sea...

72 pages of spam in combat log >.<
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 02:13:05 pm by lastrix »

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7135 on: October 18, 2010, 03:06:16 pm »

My current fort is an efficiency nightmare. I recruited most of the first (Real) wave due to being in very close proximity to goblins, but I then realised that most of the other migrants were skilled labourers. A year passes, and I work out that I have screwed myself over so hard by getting an uber industrial fortress running with only 4 haulers. Every single smelter, still, forge, ashery, masons shop, mechanic shop, carpenters shop, kitchen and clothier shop is *CLT*.

Another migrant wave arrives, and I DO THE SAME THING. For no discernable reason. I guess I didn't feel safe relying on 10 soldiers when I'm producing this much wealth.

Another year passes, everything is moving at the pace of a glacier, and the entire fort is bogged down in random crap, 500~ copper bars, 200 blue wafers, a billion plants which have not been stored in barrels (And the seeds. OH GOD THE SEEDS. Freaking military, dropping them everywhere), and millions of pieces of furniture.

Another migrant wave arrives, all of them are haulers, and the restoration process begins. Conservative estimates are 5 years (Factoring in another 2 migrant waves before the population cap is reached) before it re-establishes a semblance of efficiency.

tl;dr I underestimated my own ability to establish industry, and now I'm drowning in everything. I guess I'm stuck in some kind of production spiral.

Do not make the same mistake. Haulers are important, despite what people think. Skilled labour is good, but without the ever reliable guild of haulers, everything stagnates and players become very sad.

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #7136 on: October 18, 2010, 03:12:14 pm »

My current fort is an efficiency nightmare. I recruited most of the first (Real) wave due to being in very close proximity to goblins, but I then realised that most of the other migrants were skilled labourers. A year passes, and I work out that I have screwed myself over so hard by getting an uber industrial fortress running with only 4 haulers. Every single smelter, still, forge, ashery, masons shop, mechanic shop, carpenters shop, kitchen and clothier shop is *CLT*.

Another migrant wave arrives, and I DO THE SAME THING. For no discernable reason. I guess I didn't feel safe relying on 10 soldiers when I'm producing this much wealth.

Another year passes, everything is moving at the pace of a glacier, and the entire fort is bogged down in random crap, 500~ copper bars, 200 blue wafers, a billion plants which have not been stored in barrels (And the seeds. OH GOD THE SEEDS. Freaking military, dropping them everywhere), and millions of pieces of furniture.

Another migrant wave arrives, all of them are haulers, and the restoration process begins. Conservative estimates are 5 years (Factoring in another 2 migrant waves before the population cap is reached) before it re-establishes a semblance of efficiency.

tl;dr I underestimated my own ability to establish industry, and now I'm drowning in everything. I guess I'm stuck in some kind of production spiral.

Do not make the same mistake. Haulers are important, despite what people think. Skilled labour is good, but without the ever reliable guild of haulers, everything stagnates and players become very sad.

You could, you know, build more workshops :p.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

bowdown2q

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7137 on: October 18, 2010, 03:29:44 pm »

You could, you know, build more workshops :p.

I just use the build manager for everything now. By the time I notice that I've got idlers, they've already moved the crap into nearby stockyards. Also, finished goods stocks adjacent to workshops. then when the crafter is done, they only take 1 step to clear the shop.

Megaman3321

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm everywhere but this Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7138 on: October 18, 2010, 04:38:17 pm »

I just got a legendary  miner. I think I may draft him into the military and arm him with a cold, hard steel pick. I also got an artifact table from him  8) . I'm gonna have a reeal nice dining room.

My marksdorfs are all competent dodgers now. 8) I said I would have a nice danger room, and I delivered. My first caravan arrived about an ingame week ago.
Glacial on dwarves being assigned socks:
You see, here's how I think this works:
Overseer: Welcome to the military! You need to wear socks! Dorf: Oh, I should get military socks. My socks are civilian socks. Dorf discards socks Dorf: You know, I need a whole lot of gear now. I should get socks... last. Oh, but these steel boots with the white goo on them are nice!
I know you can pick up water, then throw said water, while underwater, to kill a fish -He_Silent_H

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7139 on: October 18, 2010, 05:04:23 pm »

Just had a possessed metalsmith. Just two items used, steel and dog leather. Steel, production of which isn't going at the pace I need it too, and all of which is needed to produce the best I can for my army(a Legendary Weaponsmith and Legendary Armorer really help on that). And what do I get?

ītat Addor, "The Chills of Drowning", a steel bracelet.
This is a steel bracelet. All craftdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of steel.
On the item is an image of Oth the Perplexing Day the deity of healing, the night and dreams, depicted as a female dwarf in dog leather. Oth the Perplexing Day is contemplating.

"The Chills of Drowning". You wasted precious steel on "The Chills of Drowning". What the hell do you think is going to happen to you?!

Especially once I get my waterway system running.
Pages: 1 ... 474 475 [476] 477 478 ... 3842