Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 473 474 [475] 476 477 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6122816 times)

Macalano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #7110 on: October 17, 2010, 07:05:37 pm »

Carpe Diem.
Seize the dwarves.
Well. . .
I've got a river full of carp. There's a whole page of 'em.
Should I be concerned?

Is there water in said river?
Could it be removed?
Could it be heated?
The water SHOULD freeze in winter, but I'm not sure.
I don't have access to the magma sea, so 3 is a no.
I've added [LIKES_FIGHTING] to them beforehand.

Add [LIKES_DROWNING]
To what?
Carp are aquatic, so they can't drown. They can only airdrown.
I suppose I shouldn't worry, seeing as I am well away from the river.
My well taps into said river, though.

Well, I wasn't referring to the water, as water cant drown. I'd like to see what would happen if it did have the ability.

I'm sure carp can drown, somehow.

Victuz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7111 on: October 17, 2010, 07:09:02 pm »

Carpe Diem.
Seize the dwarves.
Well. . .
Should I be concerned?

Is there water in said river?
Could it be removed?
Could it be heated?
The water SHOULD freeze in winter, but I'm not sure.
I don't have access to the magma sea, so 3 is a no.
I've added [LIKES_FIGHTING] to them beforehand.

Add [LIKES_DROWNING]
To what?
Carp are aquatic, so they can't drown. They can only airdrown.
I suppose I shouldn't worry, seeing as I am well away from the river.
My well taps into said river, though.

Well, I wasn't referring to the water, as water cant drown. I'd like to see what would happen if it did have the ability.

I'm sure carp can drown, somehow.

Not having gills would probably help the drowning process.
I once flung a migrant off a bridge. He collided with the brook cliff and died.
A year later, my legendary engraver engraved him colliding with an obstacle and dying.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #7112 on: October 17, 2010, 07:57:10 pm »

In GloveFlier, I am learning that connecting a single pressure plate to 512 doors, hatches, and floodgates takes a very, very long time.  Even with a team of legendary mechanics, only one can work on it at the time, and all the others can do is help keep the mechanism stockpile full.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Beardless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7113 on: October 17, 2010, 08:07:24 pm »

Got bored of my desert aquifer-piercing fort. No goblins, no undead, no forgotten beasts, only one giant desert scorpion that wouldn't even have been a problem had marksdwarfs worked at the time... even the kobolds never come to visit. I put in too much effort to abandon it though, so I generated a new world.

Oh god, I forgot how much fun worldgen is. Some highlights of "The Legendary Dawn-Plane":
The main continent is called The Imperial Land. The Royal Swamp is right next to The Stinky Tundra.
The Island of Problems has only one square: The Hills of Death. (I can see how that might be problematic.)
Another island, The Last Land, contains The Permanent Hill. I guess it will be around for a while.
The Island of Cities, however, is entirely uninhabited. Unless The Hollow Hills are a dwelling of the Fair Folk...

The map is dominated by several elf civs. One of the goblin civs is also doing very well, although most of its members and sites are elven. Dwarfs not so much. Only two civs with three mountain halls between them. Oh yeah, I guess there's some humans too but no one cares about them. (Except a few hydras. One is up to her twenty-seventh rampage.)

(Looks at the clock.) Dammit, I swore I wouldn't get bogged down in Legends mode before embarking this time.
So it turns out that dumping magma on skeletons is either a really bad idea or maybe like the best idea ever.

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #7114 on: October 17, 2010, 08:46:56 pm »

Carpe Diem.
Seize the dwarves.
Well. . .
Should I be concerned?

Not really, unless you're still playing 40d.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7115 on: October 17, 2010, 08:50:53 pm »

Another island, The Last Land, contains The Permanent Hill. I guess it will be around for a while.

Not if you get some miners to flatten it.   ;D
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

GuudeSpelur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7116 on: October 17, 2010, 09:09:16 pm »

I finally got to the point where I can make a successful, unbreakable fortress of peace and love (invincible adamantine-clad military, jewel-encrusted masterwork adamantine statues in the dining hall, rooms for every dwarf, etc.).  I then downloaded .31.16 and started doing challenge forts.  My first one ("Angercrypts") was on an area that was half jungle and half sinister mountain.  After fighting off waves of skeleton goats and hoary marmots, my dwarves carved out a modest hall in the mountain.  An abundance of coal & magnetite and a lucky migrant wave consisting of several skilled metalworkers (high master weaponsmith who immediately went fey and produced an artifact iron shortsword, Adept armorer, high master blacksmith and metalcrafter) led to the development of an iron industry.  A little while later a hunter dragged in an elephant corpse, which produced enough meat to feed the entire fortress for six months.  I quickly set out to capture and tame as many elephants as possible.  All was looking good, aside from the occasional skeleton goat herd running through my traps and scaring the fortress.

Then, triple goblin ambush on the first human caravan.  The human guards held them off long enough for my meager and untested militia force to assemble (one swordsdwarf with the artifact sword, an axedwarf, and two marksdwarves).  The two melee dwarves rushed into the fray while the marksdwarves took shots at anything they saw.  The the axedwarf, after scoring one kill and one mortal wounding, was cut off from the valiant swordsdwarf and was cut to pieces.  Shortly therafter, the goblins retreated.  I noticed that one of my elephants had gored a goblin to death, and I looked it up and found out that elephants were trainable.  A crack team of war elephants soon became my fortress's primary line of defense.  Seriously, war elephants kick ass.  Their tusks eviscerate unarmored enemies, their huge feet crush everything else into paste, and it takes an incredible amount of punishment to stop them.  After a quick funeral and a quick draft, I felt safe.

Yeah, it wasn't to last.  I breached the first cavern layer on my search for the marble layer allegedly somewhere underneath me.  On every other fort I had, this wasn't a problem because the creatures were fairly benign.  Well, this was an evil biome.  The only thing scarier than an infestation of cave crocodiles is an infestation of undead cave crocodiles.  After losing two explorers to them, I sent my military to eradicate the creepy crocs.  Unfortunately, while they were away, a skeleton blind cave ogre (HOW DO YOU TELL THAT IT IS BLIND!?) snuck up the mining shaft and killed three more dwarves.  My retired elephant-hunter managed to take it out before I had to recall the militia, and some shiny new silver statues in the meeting hall took care of the potential tantrum spiral.  Unfortunately, I had lost my best armorer. I had to train a new one up from scratch, meaning that the new recruits I was about to draft would have low quality armor.  Then, a forgotten beast with deadly blood and another triple goblin ambush (at least they ambushed the elven caravan this time) appeared at the same time.  I sent my 2 marksdwarves to take care of the FB and my new recruits and veteran to take care of the ambush.  I also tried releasing the elephants, but I did it too early and they just ran over to the meeting hall.  The recruits did poorly, getting torn apart by goblin bowmen almost immediately.  Only one macedwarf, the one that inherited the axedwarf's high quality armor, and the artifact-wielder survived.  They successfully dodged or blocked the rest of the bowgoblin's shots and then charged the speargoblins that were with them. 

Meanwhile, the battle with the FB wasn't going too well either. My plan to take it out with ranged weapons worked well until the captain ran out of ammo and charged it.  He bashed it on the head ineffectively with his crossbow and got his arm shattered for his mistake.  The other marksdwarf kept firing while the FB tore his comrade to pieces, until he too ran out of ammo and the brave marksdwarf captain died. Backed into a wall, he could only watch in horror as the bolt-filled, bleeding three-eyed giant crocodile lumbered towards him.  Raising his crossbow, the marksdwarf prepared to charge in and try to bash it to death when the FB suddenly collapsed dead in a pool of its own toxic blood. Incredibly, my marksdwarf hadn't contacted any of that blood.  He was quickly given more ammo and sent up to assist the rest of the military while my masons sealed off the contaminated area.

On the surface, the battle was a disaster.  The swordsdwarf was taken down with a lucky hit to the foot and quickly butchered (but not before earning a title- he was a brave dwarf).  The macedwarf, who had been lucky enough to avoid being surrounded, charged off after the fleeing bowgoblins, leaving the marksdwarf to fight alone.  He took out two already heavily-injured goblins before getting killed.  The remaining goblins rushed triumphantly into my fortress. All was lost.

Just kidding.  What they found wasn't a bunch of terrified, helpless civilians.  What they found was five times their worst nightmare: four thousand kilograms of thick hide, jagged tusks, and crushing feet, trained for war and thirsting for blood.  It was glorious: the goblins' spears did little more than enrage the elephants while they gored and flattened the green menace.  The survivor ran away, only to be met by the surviving macedwarf who was eager to avenge his fallen comrades.  One title-earning and large funeral later, a new batch of recruits is learning from their scarred commander while the mechanics work on a more effective elephant release method.  I guess it's time to go find that marble so the recruits have a better survival rate than one per ambush.
This fortress is turning into some kind of supervillain lair or something.
You do remember that you've been farming gigantic wingless dragon-fish for profit and Fun, right?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7117 on: October 17, 2010, 09:27:49 pm »

Niiice.

In mine, a baby who was injured from a danger room session died of infection(I was able to view that babe, and it said her chest was gone. Some infection :-\). Shortly afterward, an elven caravan brought some nice things, including a lion and a pair of leopards(haven't checked the genders, so I don't know if it's a breeding pair yet). Instead of trading away my meager stock of stonecrapts, I invoked Dwarven Trade Law #9*. Teach them to bring me almost 200 units of cloth. After that, two goblin snatchers came by. The mother of the dead baby(who was still unhappy about it) chased after the first one alone while the rest were tied up by the second. That one died quickly, helped along by being shot in the balls by a marksdwarf who happened to be training at the time(who says target practice isn't useful. Or fun). Unfortunately, the mother caught up with the first goblin, but he broke her arm and got away before reinforcements could arrive. I had to pull her from her squad so she could rest.

EDIT: *Forgot to mention what Dwarven Trade Law #9 was: All material goods brought unto the Depot of Trade belong to the dwarfkind who claim the Mountain where the Depot of Trade resides, in Armok's name. All material goods, including life, that those bringing to the Depot of Trade are allowed to leave with shall be considered a gift of generosity from dwarfkind, in Armok's name. Dwarfkind may choose at-will to deny such gifts. In Armok's name.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 09:42:22 pm by Akura »
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

FuzzyDoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7118 on: October 17, 2010, 10:19:45 pm »

I finally got to the point where I can make a successful, unbreakable fortress of peace and love (invincible adamantine-clad military, jewel-encrusted masterwork adamantine statues in the dining hall, rooms for every dwarf, etc.).  I then downloaded .31.16 and started doing challenge forts.  My first one ("Angercrypts") was on an area that was half jungle and half sinister mountain.  After fighting off waves of skeleton goats and hoary marmots, my dwarves carved out a modest hall in the mountain.  An abundance of coal & magnetite and a lucky migrant wave consisting of several skilled metalworkers (high master weaponsmith who immediately went fey and produced an artifact iron shortsword, Adept armorer, high master blacksmith and metalcrafter) led to the development of an iron industry.  A little while later a hunter dragged in an elephant corpse, which produced enough meat to feed the entire fortress for six months.  I quickly set out to capture and tame as many elephants as possible.  All was looking good, aside from the occasional skeleton goat herd running through my traps and scaring the fortress.

Then, triple goblin ambush on the first human caravan.  The human guards held them off long enough for my meager and untested militia force to assemble (one swordsdwarf with the artifact sword, an axedwarf, and two marksdwarves).  The two melee dwarves rushed into the fray while the marksdwarves took shots at anything they saw.  The the axedwarf, after scoring one kill and one mortal wounding, was cut off from the valiant swordsdwarf and was cut to pieces.  Shortly therafter, the goblins retreated.  I noticed that one of my elephants had gored a goblin to death, and I looked it up and found out that elephants were trainable.  A crack team of war elephants soon became my fortress's primary line of defense.  Seriously, war elephants kick ass.  Their tusks eviscerate unarmored enemies, their huge feet crush everything else into paste, and it takes an incredible amount of punishment to stop them.  After a quick funeral and a quick draft, I felt safe.

Yeah, it wasn't to last.  I breached the first cavern layer on my search for the marble layer allegedly somewhere underneath me.  On every other fort I had, this wasn't a problem because the creatures were fairly benign.  Well, this was an evil biome.  The only thing scarier than an infestation of cave crocodiles is an infestation of undead cave crocodiles.  After losing two explorers to them, I sent my military to eradicate the creepy crocs.  Unfortunately, while they were away, a skeleton blind cave ogre (HOW DO YOU TELL THAT IT IS BLIND!?) snuck up the mining shaft and killed three more dwarves.  My retired elephant-hunter managed to take it out before I had to recall the militia, and some shiny new silver statues in the meeting hall took care of the potential tantrum spiral.  Unfortunately, I had lost my best armorer. I had to train a new one up from scratch, meaning that the new recruits I was about to draft would have low quality armor.  Then, a forgotten beast with deadly blood and another triple goblin ambush (at least they ambushed the elven caravan this time) appeared at the same time.  I sent my 2 marksdwarves to take care of the FB and my new recruits and veteran to take care of the ambush.  I also tried releasing the elephants, but I did it too early and they just ran over to the meeting hall.  The recruits did poorly, getting torn apart by goblin bowmen almost immediately.  Only one macedwarf, the one that inherited the axedwarf's high quality armor, and the artifact-wielder survived.  They successfully dodged or blocked the rest of the bowgoblin's shots and then charged the speargoblins that were with them. 

Meanwhile, the battle with the FB wasn't going too well either. My plan to take it out with ranged weapons worked well until the captain ran out of ammo and charged it.  He bashed it on the head ineffectively with his crossbow and got his arm shattered for his mistake.  The other marksdwarf kept firing while the FB tore his comrade to pieces, until he too ran out of ammo and the brave marksdwarf captain died. Backed into a wall, he could only watch in horror as the bolt-filled, bleeding three-eyed giant crocodile lumbered towards him.  Raising his crossbow, the marksdwarf prepared to charge in and try to bash it to death when the FB suddenly collapsed dead in a pool of its own toxic blood. Incredibly, my marksdwarf hadn't contacted any of that blood.  He was quickly given more ammo and sent up to assist the rest of the military while my masons sealed off the contaminated area.

On the surface, the battle was a disaster.  The swordsdwarf was taken down with a lucky hit to the foot and quickly butchered (but not before earning a title- he was a brave dwarf).  The macedwarf, who had been lucky enough to avoid being surrounded, charged off after the fleeing bowgoblins, leaving the marksdwarf to fight alone.  He took out two already heavily-injured goblins before getting killed.  The remaining goblins rushed triumphantly into my fortress. All was lost.

Just kidding.  What they found wasn't a bunch of terrified, helpless civilians.  What they found was five times their worst nightmare: four thousand kilograms of thick hide, jagged tusks, and crushing feet, trained for war and thirsting for blood.  It was glorious: the goblins' spears did little more than enrage the elephants while they gored and flattened the green menace.  The survivor ran away, only to be met by the surviving macedwarf who was eager to avenge his fallen comrades.  One title-earning and large funeral later, a new batch of recruits is learning from their scarred commander while the mechanics work on a more effective elephant release method.  I guess it's time to go find that marble so the recruits have a better survival rate than one per ambush.

Assign the Elephants to one of your melee-dwarves, like that bad-ass Macedwarf.
Also bear in mind that dwarves have their heads at a perfect height for a good face-kicking.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.

drkpaladin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7119 on: October 17, 2010, 10:36:53 pm »

In my current fort, everything has just clicked into place so far.  Embarked on a biome that was half terrifying and half haunted, expecting to get mauled.  5 or 6 years in and I haven't experienced a single casualty.  After struggling with previous 30.xx forts to get my military to effectively train, I finally managed to get my damn dwarves to spar with each other.  The closest thing to a casualty I've had is a snatched baby, another baby got knifed in the leg (which worried me because I had to wait for the baby to hit childhood before it could visit the hospital).  I thought I would lose one for sure when I sent my military out to charge a goblin siege, one dwarf lost her arm and went faint.... then proceded to charge in and shield bash the crap out of the goblins.  She didn't even bother going to the hospital afterwards, she was like "why should I go there? its already gone stupid."  I considered keeping her in my military, but instead slapped a mining pick in her hand, I might draft her back in later but the only reason she got touched is because she was the newest recruit and lacked basic armor.  Now all this is without complete steel armor just steel sword and shield and leather and bone armor (and whatever was usable from goblins), but I did just hit the magma and am waiting for the flow to slowly march down past the forges I built (even hitting the hot wall to start the magma didn't result in a dead dwarf). I've been lucky so far, the forgotten beasts and monsters that attacked me have not had flesh dissolving attacks yet.  My booze supply is running low, but I'll be churning out the metal barrels to keep up with demand very soon.  I think the most likely end to my fort will be from having one of my legendary swordfighters turned mayor and being appointed baron, and going crazy when someone doesn't make him an electrum codpiece every month and he kills everyone.  (Writing this makes me want to assign him a training sword)

I built a room with 20 unused coffins, but armok has a more devious plan in mind for me than what I was expecting.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7120 on: October 17, 2010, 10:38:28 pm »

I would think it best to assign a slightly larger ratio of war animals to your rangers, to prevent them from being charged and butchered too soon, as well as have some elephants dropped from the ceiling directly behind your front gates.

I built a room with 20 unused coffins, but armok has a more devious plan in mind for me than what I was expecting.

Don't worry, every last one of them will die horribly within hours of each other.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 10:42:50 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #7121 on: October 17, 2010, 11:06:40 pm »

Well, I was digging a tunnel from the Magma sea up to the Aquifer so i could get some Obsidian, and i accidently punched through a section of the caverns i hadn't explored yet. So, i quickly order a wall to be built to cover the hole, but since i have my Dwarves near the surface, and the hole was 100-something z-lvls below, that took a while. In the meantime, Liruk the Forgotten Beast appeared. A giant Toucan etc. etc. etc. (can't remember the rest). So, it waltzes on through the hole, and proceeds to kill a dog and 2 Miners. I told my Military to haul a** down there, but again, 100-something z-lvls. A third Miner, however, managed to kill the FB, but he ended up with most of his limbs in the Red. Since i'm kinda new at healthcare (first time i've ever had to deal with it), the Miner ended up dying of infection. At least the Docs got some practice, and i've already finished the tunnel, built a bridge + lever to seal it up when i don't need it, flooded the tunnel, and made some nice home-made Obsidian. Plus, i brought Liruk's corpse up to the top, so now i got some Forgotten Beast leather, meat, etc.

Now, new problem: Draining out the water so i can actually GET to the Obsidian.

Also, lol, a Racoon decided it was a good idea to walk into my aforementioned passageway lined with traps (i've since chained up a Giant Lion and a Tiger at the end, in addition to the Saltwater Crocodile). Got me some free food!
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7122 on: October 17, 2010, 11:31:05 pm »

My pet cat Fluffy has commanded that I build a giant cat statue over the entrance of my fort.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7123 on: October 18, 2010, 01:17:02 am »

Pretty amazing volcano site with sheer cliffs, lots of ore (i.e. 30,000 hematite territory), marble, and best of all...

I can reenact the old-school Boatmurdered technique, albeit more in the sense of setting the grasslands on fire to kill anyone and anything that wanders in.  I'm going to set up a pumping system to make it more effective and targeted, but it's a nice start so far.  Dun goofed and burned down the windmill in the process, but that's what querns are for...
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

drkpaladin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7124 on: October 18, 2010, 04:30:56 am »

Well, after so many years of no deaths it finally happened in a pretty spectacular fashion.  It was pretty light on the sieges for me this whole time, so when I saw the goblins on the horizon I wasn't too worried, and I assembled my men to prepare to charge out and meet them in the field... I didn't notice a second army of trolls until afterwards... No big deal...  mop up the trolls real fast and turn back down south to meet the goblins.

Hey... those goblins are mounted on giant flying bats....

Thats ok the citizens are confined to a burrow deep inside...

Hey they are flying over the wall surrounding my strawberry farm....

Thats ok, my military is full of unbelievably agile dwarves who can make it to the farms before they can swing at the farmers.  Oh look, my army isn't coming... they got hit by another siege wave of goblins on bats coming from a third direction.

Damage control, second burrow set in hospital for the civs.

One dwarf who was in bed when the order to mobilize charged into the farms to stop the tide of goblins, but not before 2 farmers and their three children were struck down.  That one dwarf tranced out and killed about a dozen before the goblins started fleeing and the rest of my army could hack them apart.

No military casualties, but it just so happened that the farmer family was chased down and cornered in the same room I built full of empty coffins.... had I not tempted armok by building this sacrilige, they would have run away towards the safety of the approaching supersoldier...

Edit: It turns out that two of the children and one of the farmers was part of my favorite dwarf's familty... My Chief Medical dwarf's wife and 2 of his 6 kids....  Noo!!!! And a kobold thief stole two artifacts in the chaos. If he can survive the hit to his happiness, I'm drafting him, because the reason he was my favorite dwarf if because of his super attributes, large family, and personality that just loved helping people.  His vengence will be terrible!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 04:38:10 am by drkpaladin »
Pages: 1 ... 473 474 [475] 476 477 ... 3842