Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 470 471 [472] 473 474 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6122940 times)

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #7065 on: October 16, 2010, 03:35:55 pm »

Kraken, can't you seal the mining shafts to prevent FBs getting in for the while?
Someone should make a chart of the population of Townbrush over time. It seems that once you were in trouble with 10 dwarves left, but then your pop was brought back up to 20, now you have problems with between 2 and 7 dwarves.

I could do that, but I don't want to. The main reason being that my current goal with modding is to make it so that the caverns are something you don't just want to wall off. Something you always want to be working with, because it contributes many valuable things to your fortress. So I'm trying to get used to what it's like having the caverns always open.

It is worth mentioning that none of the FB on the map are actually a threat, for a variety of different reasons. Basically, they all are incapable of reaching the fort or simply don't try to for reasons I don't understand. Probably due to their pathing getting messed up by the flooded sections of the tunnels. Strange how that flood has benefited me in some ways.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7066 on: October 16, 2010, 03:56:53 pm »

"Good evening, my friends.

I hope you are enjoying your New Year's Eve celebration; it has been a year of trials for us all.

Tonight I wish to remind each of you that Tinmesh is your fortress.  It was your strength of will that brought you here, and with that strength you shall rebuild.

And so, Dishmab Blockadeddoors offers you a toast.

To Tinmesh, 1055.

May it be our finest year."
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7067 on: October 16, 2010, 04:00:12 pm »

WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7068 on: October 16, 2010, 04:22:58 pm »

All toasters toast toast...

God, the scary part is some dwarf's going to write that on a wall in his own blood when things finally fall apart here.

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

!!crundle!!

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERYONE, I AM ON FIRE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7069 on: October 16, 2010, 04:52:20 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That's a lot of gems.
w̷̦̬̹̣͕̙͖͑̓̌̓̑̄͒͋͜͝h̙̩͈̱͚̳̳̪͖̙͕̥̳ͥ̍̔͂̑̿̓̍̑ͣ͆̅̀͢y̧̼̭͎͓̟̺͉̰͎̱̜ͫ̂́͗̐̑́w̢̬̪͈̲̽̋́̈̓ͨ̄͐̿̓ͧ̇ͩ̏ͫ̑̎͟͡ḩ̡͍̫̣̹̬̙̭͊ͯͯ̉͡y̔ͥ̏͛̀̂̎̆ͥͮ̐̍̈̏͆̓̅̒҉̢̘͚͎̠̻̣̯̥̠̙̤̪̮̝̲̜̪́̕̕ͅw̸̗̻̱ͭͣͦͤ̇̑̅͗ͨͬ͋̉͊ͨ͂͜hͩͪ̋ͣ̇̔͂ͧ̍̾͂͏̨̠͕̼̟͙̳̺͕̥͔̜̮̩̰̲̞̼y̴̸̵̪͕̜̪̙̦̘ͧ̽̇ͭͭͬͯ̾̈́̐̂̉͆͒ͤ̌̀̕w̺̟͙͙̭͇̟̮͉̯͈͖̩͔͊͛ͧͯ̀̿ͣͪ͂ͪ͘̕͠ͅh̷̴̷̢͉͖̺̦̣͙̓ͧ̅͋ͪ̾̓͒̌̒ͯ̇́ͯ̕y̋ͪ̓̒̈́͞͏̤̗̞̲̪͚̮̤̫̪̺̪̫̕w̸͔̺̱̼̪̮̘̟͖̭̱͓͈̜͇͚͉̙͊̈́ͦ̅̋̂ͩ̓͗́̚͡ͅĥ̶̨̟̺͕̌͆͒͑ͦͨ̉͆͜͜ý̧͓̼̘̯͉̘̺̩͇̻͈͔̖͎̜͍ͭ̌ͩ͟͝͞

Kiktamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7070 on: October 16, 2010, 05:22:55 pm »

It just won't die....why?!   :(

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7071 on: October 16, 2010, 05:23:27 pm »

My craftsdwarf spent half a month gathering items for the artifact, and all I've got is a lousy cat bone door.
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #7072 on: October 16, 2010, 05:31:07 pm »

To Queen Unib Cerolaved
From the City of Lungtown, 3rd Timber 1057
RE: Yearly status report for 1057

Unfortunately, in spite of our diplomat's assurances to the contrary, last year's report did not reach you.  Your unfortunate servant accidentally wandered into the midst of a Goblin ambush, and was quickly rent to shreds.  Rest assured that he has his own personal tomb in the catacombs of Lungtown.

The Goblin situation here is getting very ludicrous.  Just this spring, the Goblins launched an offensive campaign in an attempt to capture the entirety of our fortress.  No less than 80 Goblins and Trolls showed up, all lusting for the blood of our citizenry.  Fortunately, our cage traps and freshly trained military were able to rout the invasion attempt effortlessly and without wound or casualty.  However, I fear for the fort's future should the Goblins grow ever more bold...

We also had an ocean titan attempt to break into our fort, but it was hardly worth mentioning.  It died in only a few minutes to the swordmaster squad of our military.

We may well be running out of iron ore to smelt.  We have already processed 7 gigantic clusters of magnetite, and yet our forges do not rest.  As my attached letter from last year describes, we will likely have to convert it into steel to keep our forges busy.  It would be a shame to lay off such talented workers due to a lack of resources.

Our army has grown again, incidentally.  The recent immigrant wave you graced us with has provided our fortress with a crack squad of axelords to help in the defense of the fortress along with the swordmasters and hammerlords we already have.  We are fast approaching the point when it will be time to breach the forbidden domain...

Our food supplies remain roughly as strong as last year, though the recent dearth of births and immigrants tempered them somewhat to about 16.2 and 6.8 years' worth of food and drink, respectively.  Still far more than enough to survive on, and we'll have ample warning should our numbers start to dwindle.  Our wealth now stands at a staggerying 37.1 million DB, which no doubt accounts for the increased Goblin hostilities.

Our future remains secure, Your Majesty.  Should the breaching of the forbidden domain go well, you should hear of it in next year's letter.

Sincerely,
Baron "Humbert von Gikingen" Honoredpaddle
Sanity is for the weak.

Azgog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7073 on: October 16, 2010, 05:53:28 pm »

It just won't die....why?!   :(

Haha, pretty bad luck you're having there.

Especially considering that:
God damnit. Dwarven stupidity is sometimes bad enough, but combined with bad timing, it's assfuck.

The second migrant wave to my newborn fort happened to arrive about the exact same time a blizzard man crossed over to my map a rather small distance away, directly south of my fort's entrance. The migrants run across the thing mid-way to my fort's entrance, and deem it a good idea to run for their miserable lives. A reasonable solution, were it not for the fact that they ran northwards, directly into my fort. Got no military or working traps, so the blizzard man is killing everyone now. By pure luck, I managed to evacuate an acceptable number of dorfs to the lower levels, and I'm hoping now that the blizzy will leave after it's done with the slaughtering. I also hope those fucking migrants get what they deserve at the cold claws of the ice fiend.

The conclusion to this story was that a random miner struck the blizzard man's head off with a single swing of the pick. Ultimately it only managed to kill three or four dwarves, but some more died of thirst because they couldn't get into the booze stockade. For some reason it seemed to focus more in the killing of animals. There are no cats in my fortress now.

I guess the blizzard men in my world are just lame. Meanwhile, good luck with your deathless thing.
"I REQUIRE LUMBER"
"We have plenty of lumber"
".... BUT I WANT THIS KIND!"
"What kind?"
"THE KIND WHERE YOU SHUT THE HELL UP!"

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7074 on: October 16, 2010, 06:04:09 pm »

A red dragon killed everyone.

Steel clad military dwarves charged in only to be cut down like wheat by what I imagine was the almighty god-king of dragons.

Once the military were dead, I started panicking and sending drafted haulers at it, to no avail. In a final rush, I sent every able bodied dwarf at it, and somehow, this greatly wounded it, giving it about 6 red body parts and 4 yellow, as well as taking a talon off, but it killed every single dwarf in the process.

There was one left, a miner, one of the original seven, who was so far under the surface that he hadn't made it to the fight, but he wasn't going to let him charge to suicide. I stopped the command, and I made him grab some of the armour which was laying around, but there were no weapons left that were accessible, so I made him smith his own sun gold sword. It came out as a +sun gold short sword+, which was surprising, given his novice status (He had been trained with weaponsmithing previously, though I don't know where.)

He equipped it, and with a heavy heart, I gave the order to attack the dragon. It was a pretty good fort, this one. I'd have liked to continue it a little longer, I thought to myself. He approached the hospital (The dragon had been hanging there. Maybe he needed somebody to attend to his wounds?) and the dragon caught sight of him. He took a blast of dragonfire without injury, and then they proceed to fight for about 20 rounds (Dude was a steel dwarf, and he'd been trained for a while in the early days of the fort, before a full time military was created. He was pretty tough, although not compared to the military who had been summarily slaughtered about a week ago. He got a heck of a lot of red wounds, and I was already beginning to think of what the next fort would be, when I see the most shocking message in my life.

"The swordsdwarf hacks at the dragons upper body with the +sun gold short sword+, and the severed part sails off in an arc!"

Celebration occured, though it was short lived as he suffocated in the next few frames. I like to imagine he was screaming the name of the fort as he struck the final blow. Although it would have sounded quite silly, the fort being named "Paintdays" and all.

Rest in peace, Sarvesh Zonstukon. You were too great for this world.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7075 on: October 16, 2010, 06:17:20 pm »

I've lost twelve dwarves, including my head smith, since the last time I saved the game. luckily most were military dwarves with no friends. almost no one has any friends...

There was a (intelligent civilized) troll siege of one platoon, and 4 goblin ambushes, all lead by crossbowmen. Needless to say only a couple traps didn't catch anything, as only 1 trolls escaped, 2 dead, and i caught 7-8 goblins with none killed. Horrible planning... They shot the smith while she was going to the river to drink (guess my well is too far above the water for easy drinking access)

The two goblin lasher squads finally left and allowed me to go out and collect my prizes. All of them will suffer in the Arena.

In other news, I've finished the section of the central plaza shaft that will go through the first cavern and will begin digging the shaft area down towards the second shortly. I also smoothed and engraved the grand dining hall and dug and furnished the mayoral couples' quarters.

The military REALLY needs some decent training...
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 06:23:07 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7076 on: October 16, 2010, 06:29:47 pm »

Helmlobsters has finally been abandoned...

It wasn't the FB that carried on killing elite wrestlers despite having 3 out of 4 legs broken and it's throat crushed.
It wasn't the escaped ettin that killed 4 of my skilled dwarves, including the only decent gem setter (out of 120 dwarves)
It wasn't the flow of magma to cut off another forgotten beast that got out of hand and filled up the 3rd level cavern (it did kill it, though)
Wasn't the Super Caged Goblin Extermination Device, that flooded the plains with magma, Boatmurdered style
Wasn't me somehow ordering the killing of the elven and human diplomats (elves can run fast, can't they)

It was the combination of these reducing the FPS to 2.  Damn those fluid mechanics calculations...

Still, fun and games, and it lasted 8 years, in game.

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7077 on: October 16, 2010, 07:27:23 pm »

Speak of the devil, Tinmesh has fallen.  Time to move on to greener pastures...what did me in was attrition due to lack of migration.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #7078 on: October 16, 2010, 08:01:45 pm »

The prime miner of Armorbirds just accidentally breached an aquifer from below. Trying to incorporate the flood into my fortress design somehow; perhaps a system of canals...

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7079 on: October 16, 2010, 08:50:31 pm »

Abandoned previous forts due to inefficiency.
Embarked on a savage desert next to some mountain space.
Three GDS immediately. They're only at the edge, currently. I still do not trust them.
My current project is to build several pyramids. They'll be connected through tunnels.
FPS REPORT: I'm getting a steady 80-97 FPS with 7 dorfs, 2 trolls, a horde of crundles, and a brook.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 09:45:44 pm by GaxkangtheUnbound »
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.
Pages: 1 ... 470 471 [472] 473 474 ... 3842