Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 464 465 [466] 467 468 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6123198 times)

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #6975 on: October 13, 2010, 07:12:54 pm »

I just had this terrible mental image, of Townsbrush updating to the next version and all the fallen dwarves rising as zombies to finish the job.

If I had to choose how this fort would end, that would be it. It only seems fitting. Zombie dwarves would be one of the things the survivors would have no chance of hiding from, because they literally would be everywhere.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

jaxad0127

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6976 on: October 13, 2010, 07:19:07 pm »

That would be COOL!

I've started a new fort, and it's going well- I've immediately set up a (mostly) walled farm area (only acessable from fort, unless you went over the walls).

I've set up 18 basic rooms (-7 for origional dwarves) and set one as an office for my bookeeper.

I've got the resources to make a still, so I can brew almost immediately. I'm not having dwarves doing nothing after only a few months!

(Can you guys tell me how to do a job if they aren't a practitioner of it (say for example, making a carpenter brew a drink) if it is possible?)
View the creature ('v'). Go to their preferences ('p'). Go to the farming entry and and 'enter'. Hilight brewing and 'enter'. You may need to view next ('v' again) if more than one are on the tile.

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6977 on: October 13, 2010, 07:42:13 pm »

Thanks.
No that's an understatement.

THANK YOU SEVERAL TONS!

If I'd've known this four or five attempts ago, who knows where I'd be now!

Heh, i'm going to last this time...
Everybody!

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6978 on: October 13, 2010, 08:00:50 pm »

My first squad the "crystalline polish" was figuratively raped by a cave croc and a giant olm, they also took out five members of the "Muscular Boulders" so I've forged them all adamantine armor and weapons (even though my smiths are not... lets say the best)

It helped, but I'm afraid my Captain of the guard, may be making a solo mission into the deep roads soon.
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6979 on: October 13, 2010, 08:23:17 pm »

I'm trying to get everyone to do everything. It's working! Well, it'll confuse me later on of course.

I've gotten a small percentage of mt 10x12 farm planted, and everyone has rooms. The meeting hall/ dining room has plenty of tables/chairs. I'm yet to do much to the barracks, i'd better renovate...

If I can figure out metalsmithing (and it's need for refined coal) then I could even outfit my millitary.
Everybody!

Styledatol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6980 on: October 13, 2010, 09:04:37 pm »

Elven traders seem to be some sort of.... Goblin magnets...
For the third time in a row, the moment an Elven caravan shows up in my fort a group of Goblins ambush someone the moment they begin unloading their stuff. Last time I also got raided by apes and attacked by thieves. Lost a few haulers who were unfortunate enough to be carrying goods to the trade depot at the time... one the bright side: I got lots of wood and cloth now!

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6981 on: October 13, 2010, 09:09:01 pm »

I'm trying to get everyone to do everything. It's working! Well, it'll confuse me later on of course.

I've gotten a small percentage of mt 10x12 farm planted, and everyone has rooms. The meeting hall/ dining room has plenty of tables/chairs. I'm yet to do much to the barracks, i'd better renovate...

If I can figure out metalsmithing (and it's need for refined coal) then I could even outfit my millitary.

Coal? What do you think the trillions of gallons of magma beneath your feet is for?
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6982 on: October 13, 2010, 09:22:46 pm »

That'd take forever to get to- I've not got the picks, and I haven't figured out trading.

Oh, and Windows 'Auto Start' Can burn in hell forever. Lost my damn fort...
Everybody!

tehc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6983 on: October 13, 2010, 09:32:51 pm »

Fortressrasped is on it's 4th year. Already it has had 3 sets of two goblin ambush squads, and has lost 11 dwarves in my shitty effort to get steel up and going.

Now i'm going strong with 35 dwarves, 10 of which are doing good in a military with full steel with adamantine axes (one has a spear since he likes spears and was good with them before) and have been trained on the various unicorns running about that i've caught, random goblin snatchers and thieves, and a 3x3 danger room of wooden training spears.

Out of the eleven dwarves that i've lost, 2 were to my own idiocy of not stopping a repeating steel spike trap after sending in dwarves to hoover up the goblinite. 8 were when i forgot to forbid a door to the outside, and then forgot to set the option to automatically forbid corpses which created a spiral of more dwarves running out, getting killed, and then another doing the same thing. The last was some picky dwarf getting a mood that needed plant fiber cloth which I don't have.

I tried to get my hospital going but realized I have no plaster material on the map even after extensive cavern diving, and then I noticed there are no webs for threads either, and the caravan I killed testing my spike trap had neither thread nor plaster.

Completely decimated a new goblin ambush and now i'm sending my squad around the map in search of the other group.

All in all this fort has a much larger amount of fun that my previous forts. I'm eager that a siege or titan will appear once I get some migrants.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 09:34:46 pm by tehc »

FuzzyDoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6984 on: October 13, 2010, 10:03:43 pm »

That'd take forever to get to- I've not got the picks, and I haven't figured out trading.

Oh, and Windows 'Auto Start' Can burn in hell forever. Lost my damn fort...

You should watch CptnDuck's tutorials. They're for 40D but they'll help you A LOT! He has a few out for 2010 also.
Also bear in mind that dwarves have their heads at a perfect height for a good face-kicking.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6985 on: October 13, 2010, 10:07:14 pm »

I've already watched a bunch of them...

I'm trying to find the exact area I had before. Reclaim won't work because the fort never technically existed.
Everybody!

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #6986 on: October 13, 2010, 10:39:15 pm »

I've already watched a bunch of them...

I'm trying to find the exact area I had before. Reclaim won't work because the fort never technically existed.

In your init options, set Initial Save to YES. Big help for random crashes after getting the perfect embark, as well as mild cheating when half the embark gets killed by ogres three minutes into the fortress.

And as long as you're there, set the autosave to SEASONAL. That way you don't lose too much work should the unthinkable happen

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #6987 on: October 14, 2010, 12:42:16 am »

Use Dwarf Therapist. You can make custom professions, check skill levels precisely, sort your dwarves by skill, migrant wave, etc...
Instead of having everyone do everything, what you should do is let the skilled people do their thing and only that, and set the useless dwarves (no skills or skills you don't use) to do everything else.
That way, the master smith keeps smithing while his bitches stockpile his stuff around; you are then far more efficient.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Duriel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6988 on: October 14, 2010, 01:32:14 am »

Goblins are sieging Crystalroses again... But they are outside the range of my magma trap. Sigh.

And one idiot marksdwarf ran outside and got himself killed by a squad of goblins, nowhere near the place I issued him to station at. WTF?

The other military is doing great however, they just slaughtered the same squad that killed the dumbass marksdwarf.

EDIT: What Crystalroses looks like right now:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 01:40:51 am by Duriel »
An invisible lurker.

I have a YouTube channel!

drkpaladin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6989 on: October 14, 2010, 02:10:43 am »

I just had two whales beach playing the kobold camp mod on an ocean so now food is no longer an issue.  Right about then I realized I hadn't been attacked during the year cause it was 3.14.  Then I moved the save folder to 3.16, and started getting ambushed by goblins.  No sieges or signs of the other races yet, but I have like 3000 drink and 9000 roasts saved up.  My whole fort is made out of wood extending out over the ocean, its kind of a neat setup.

In my dwarf fortress, I just kept getting immigrants no matter how many dwarves died wrestling yetis, so I started colonizing the caverns and wrestling down there.  My coolest dwarf was my one armed head of surgery who was the only capable dwarf at one point after taking down one of those yetis.  I 'accidentally' killed the outpost liason with him because the dwarf he was talking to wasn't able to get fed for some reason.  Unfortunately this made him an enemy of my parent civ, and totally bugged the game.  Somehow bugging the game in this way led to him actually diagnosing and surgerizing patients....  I abandoned so that he could escape into the wild and maybe pop up again one day.
Pages: 1 ... 464 465 [466] 467 468 ... 3842