Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 462 463 [464] 465 466 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6123404 times)

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #6945 on: October 13, 2010, 11:08:51 am »

A liason came and I asked for stuff for next year. I think...

Then their merchant & donkey went insane on the edge of the map. I'm not sure if they left a wagon, so I'll look for some lootable stuff I suppose.

I've FINALLY got farms going, and everyone has a room. My bookeeper is 1% of the way towards documenting EVERYTHING EVER.

All i'm missing is booze,I'm just making some stills...
Everybody!

Duriel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6946 on: October 13, 2010, 11:12:32 am »

The construction of the orbital magma cannon really picked up speed all of a sudden. As for any attackers, I haven't seen any for a while. I really miss them now...
An invisible lurker.

I have a YouTube channel!

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6947 on: October 13, 2010, 11:23:24 am »

Orbital Magma Cannon...?

Hm. Well... that's SO COOL!

I'm I went NEAR magma, it's likely that i'd flood my fortress.

EDIT: K, how'd you seize goods from insane merchants that've beed standing in one place for months?

My dorfs need food and clothes and weapons and...
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 11:36:14 am by Wolf Tengu »
Everybody!

caknuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6948 on: October 13, 2010, 12:02:06 pm »

Work on the masterwork phyllite furniture for the Reliquary has begun, as has work on the stables and the first (bucket-irrigated) underground farms.

The breeding programs for my camels and horses has begun.
Quote from: Primary
*Kneels before Urist Dickpuncher*

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #6949 on: October 13, 2010, 12:28:44 pm »

Orbital Magma Cannon...?

Hm. Well... that's SO COOL!

I'm I went NEAR magma, it's likely that i'd flood my fortress.

EDIT: K, how'd you seize goods from insane merchants that've beed standing in one place for months?

My dorfs need food and clothes and weapons and...

Kill orders, if you have a halfway decent military. Of course, if they're dwarven merchants then this may is entirely likely to cause a Loyalty Cascade, which is super fun for all involved. Save, and then test. FOR SCIENCE!

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6950 on: October 13, 2010, 01:05:19 pm »

Nah, the merchant/donkey starved to death.

I just want to grab all the stuff from the bodies.

Now to try and force the dorfs into doing jobs...
Everybody!

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #6951 on: October 13, 2010, 01:07:10 pm »

Nah, the merchant/donkey starved to death.

I just want to grab all the stuff from the bodies.

dbc

or dbC I'm not sure.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

ArcaneSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Pastafarian
    • View Profile
« Reply #6952 on: October 13, 2010, 01:24:43 pm »

Once my possessed leatherworker has finished his artifact I'm gonna try to find me some magma.

Though some may not live to see the moment.
Code: [Select]
Kulur "Echospecks" simoicuk, Forgotten Beast

A giant hairy slug. it has wings of stretched skin and it has a bloated body. Its muave hair is short and even. Beware it's poisonous vapors!
To really understand its consequences, there are three things you must know.

1) When my fortress was starving from a lack of food, I didn't exactly have time to irrigate an area to farm, so I walled of a small part of the caverns. This farm is my Fortress' only stable source of food. It can only be reached via the main staircase (a long, winding ramp, in my case) or from above.
2) My military is almost non-existant. They resemble more of a militia, with no armor, and the only half-decent soldier is the one who killed four troglodytes while the cavern walls were build. He wields one of our two weapons, a bronze battleaxe. The other weapon we have is an artifact iron short sword with yellow diamond spikes. We also have some Xbows, but no bolts. The reason I'm looking for magma is because we don't have enough fuel for a metal industry.
3) A few weeks ago, my entire military was disabled by a single kobold thief armed with a copper dagger. They are currently lying in front of the hospital bleeding to death. I have been forced to appoint the Animal Caretaker as Chief Medical Dwarf 'cause he was the only one with some "experience" (and wasn't doing anything usefull at all, ever)

The FB has wings and poisonous vapors. It's located roughly 100 tiles from my farm, with a clear path between the two.
Should I scramble the miners as a desperate last line of defense if the FB gets into the Fortress?
Wanted: Signature Quotes
Reward: 1 honorable mention.

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #6953 on: October 13, 2010, 01:59:09 pm »

Should I scramble the miners as a desperate last line of defense if the FB gets into the Fortress?

The -Copper Pick- [...] bruising the brain!
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6954 on: October 13, 2010, 02:06:15 pm »

That's cool.

My unarmed millitia tore apart a Kobold, which is great but no-one is moving the body.

I have plenty of plants, seeds, barrels, but not a single dwarf wants to brew any alcohol. I suppose it because none of them are brewers. Same problem with metalsmithing...

I'll have my one working miner (I have three, but two just sleep) dig somemore. Least it'll give me something to look at.

Oh, and I talked to some elves about some trees, and I said 'yes' blindly, probably due to my millitia never training or anything. I'd be fine with that, but even though I have fortifications, due to the aforementioned 'metalwork' thing, I can't bake ballistae or anything...
Everybody!

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6955 on: October 13, 2010, 02:09:05 pm »

The month following the Darnen invasion went about as well as I thought it would. Dwarves tanruming constantly, corpses spreading miasma through the lower levels, and injured and diseased dwarves collapsing before suffering horrible and agonizing deaths due to stravation.  One of the forge masters was crippled whilst walking up the main mine shaft. Dozens of dwarves must have passed him, people he used to work with and called his friends, all of them ignoring his cries for help. Knowing that they couldn't possibly keep their old friends alive, and that it was better to let him die now rather than suffer for months in the hospital before eventually withering away.

Also one the masons was accidentally impaled on the repeating spike trap.

This brought down the population of Townbrush to 9 dwarves. 9 dwarves trying to piece together the remains of Townbrush. Then some incredibly foolish migrants arrived, bringing the population up to 14. None of them knew how to wield an axe though, so the military remained empty.

Of course, that's when a Forgotten Beast decided to pay a visit. Rifi Tofilerine, a giant skinless mole that belches toxic gas. Not exactly the most intimidating of fell monsters. Still, he announced his arrival by decapitating the new mayor. This of course was an issue because nobody in the fort can fight to save their life. And the last time I sent unskilled and unarmored dwarves to fight a forgotten beast, it resulted in the haulers having to scrape their friends corpses off the caverns walls. So I drafted 10 dwarves, and ordered them to find whatever gear was lying around as a result of the constantly goblin sieges. Right now they are scrambling through the fort trying to properly equip themselves. Meanwhile Rifi is crawling through the deep roads, mauling any poor dwarves who happened to be down their at the time.

The total population of Townbrush is now 8 terrified dwarves, and the unluckiest child in the world. I've ordered them to stand near the exit of the mines, waiting for the beast to make its way to the surface. This could easily be the final fight. If Rifi kills them, Townbrush will come to an end. There's nothing I can do but hope that one of them manages to land a lucky hit while Rifi is busy chewing on dwarven bones.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6956 on: October 13, 2010, 02:36:13 pm »

Everyone stands around doing nothing.

No-one wants to brew anything... I've got a guy gutting gems, just so he's doing something - I can't trade, so there's no reason to.

And now I need to remember how to move bodies, bacause one of my dorfs went mad, and tried to kill everyone (he was put down instantly). I mean, I've got a coffin and all, it's just...

I'm bored of watching them mill around aimlessly in the meeting hall. Only the Mason and the Carpenter ever do anything, and no-one ever leaves the hall to use the rooms designated to them, despite the rolling clounds of miasma engulfing them.

Because no-one moves, I can't make my depot accesable. There's no way around this...

I can't even kill my dorfs spectacularly, no-one is willing to move to dig to the magma sea- yet they aren't depressed enough to kill each other (the dorf went insane because he must've wanted some kind of workshop I didn't have).

Ugh! It's ironic that one of the only dwarves even doing anything is called Urist!
Everybody!

drvoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6957 on: October 13, 2010, 02:52:52 pm »

Started a new fortress... Tomblances.  Very promising start, the only thing I was missing were some traps for the entranceway.  I had just got my steel industry off the ground, made 5 sets of axedwarf stuff for my militia, when the first goblin ambush happened.  I wasn't too concerned since a dwarven caravan had also just arrived on the map, and I often rely on their help for fighting off my early ambushes.

However, about 5 goblins made it into my fort before I could get the gates closed, but it seemed like my militia was making quick work of them.  In fact, they sat at the entrance idling when it seemed like they were done in the fort, and dwarfs were running around looking like they were busy.  And oh, were they busy.

Busy being slaughtered just one z level down from my entrance as I let the sim run for 2 or 3 months, my militia idling near the fort entrance.  "Why is everyone up here so upset?" I wondered to myself as I see all my dwarfs with red arrows on them.

(Z) Screen: 30 DWARFS DEAD from a SINGLE goblin maceman rampaging through the lower levels of the fortress that I was oblivious to as I let the simulation run for several months.

(ESC) -- Abandon

*sigh*
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 03:03:54 pm by drvoke »
Ambassador magma patiently awaits his meeting with your nobles.

DukeOfVandals

• Bay Watcher
  • Diabeetus makes you sleepy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6958 on: October 13, 2010, 03:03:02 pm »

Bronze Colussus came.

I figured, meh. If it doesn't dodge the weapon traps off of a 5-z drop, then it'll get caught in the cage trap. No big.

Then it caught one of my stupid new migrants outside and started trying to kill it.

It was beating the Bone Doctor to death with a silk shoe... and it was taking a REALLY long time, when I finally checked his skills in DT, mainly because I noticed he was legendary in SOMETHING. Not in setting bones... then what?

Oh. In three combat skills. And I didn't have him in a squad yet, and he was now unconscious.

So I decide to send out the fragments of my military that are still around. And so begins an incredibly long battle. 140 pages of combat. 130 pages before my militia commander comes out with his adamantine battle axe and fells the damned thing in about 4 swings. In the process, I got a crap-ton of experience for my dorfs and a nice bronze statue.

Funtimes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6959 on: October 13, 2010, 04:00:38 pm »

In the process, I got a crap-ton of experience for my dorfs and a nice bronze statue.

This is one bit I never understand. Why is the statue masterwork when it must have hundreds of gouges in it? By the end it must look like something off the scrapheap.
Pages: 1 ... 462 463 [464] 465 466 ... 3842