Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 459 460 [461] 462 463 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6123704 times)

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #6900 on: October 12, 2010, 02:43:30 am »

My fort has been at war with elves since the get-go. Four years in, and the bastards are still attacking. I have six pages of dead elves and their horses.  Looking in the region history, I noticed that the elves and my home kingdom have been at war for 100 years. I wonder how many more times I have to kick their asses before they finally call for peace.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #6901 on: October 12, 2010, 02:46:05 am »

Currently, i'm using 31.13 to set up a good defence (since i'm too lazy to just disable invaders manually in the latest version :P). I've got 3 squads training, but hopefully i'll never need them (aside from Justice*).

Anyhow, what i have, is, there's my main passageway, then there's a 1-tile-wide passageway off to the side, which has an Upright Spear trap (linked to a lever, of course) at it's entrance, and is lined with Weapon Traps further in. In a siege, i'll raise a bridge to fully block off my Dwarves. I have a chained-up Saltwater Crocodile at the end of the passageway, so the invaders will instead go for that. Assuming any survive the traps (all loaded with the full 10 weapons each), they'll still have an angry Croc to deal with. I'm considering putting that Lion i have in there as well, just because. Don't ever say the Elves are useless, they bring awesome animals to kill people with.

* Also, yeah, this reminds me: So, 99.9% of my trading exports are stone crafts. Gets rid of stone, and puts the Stonecrafters to use. Anyhow, my Baron (First time i've ever made it to Baron \o/) decides to ban the export of Earrings. My Stonecrafter is Legendary due to making an Artifact, so it's not like i'm ever at a loss for crafts, so the ban doesn't hurt really. The problem is, he put the ban out while the Traders were still on the map (they were on their way outta here, but hadn't gotten to the edge etc.), and 3 of my Dwarves got charged with violation blah blah blah. Anyhow, since i didn't have Cages or Chains set up, 2 of the 3 Dwarves were beaten instead. The 3rd was my Captain of the Guard, who was sentenced to time in a Cage or whatever. For whatever reason, he was safe from that, untill a little while later. I don't know if it was because i put some recruits in the Captain's Squad a couple minutes before or something, but i turned my back for like 20 seconds to go to the toilet, and i come back to find the Captain's been struck down. I'm like "AW HECK NAW", so i look at the Combat reports. Appearently a recruit (dunno if it was one from the Captin's squad) stabbed the Captain to death with a spear. The recruit didn't get charged with anything, so i guess it was a beating in leiu(sp?) of the jail time. Fine, whatever, BUT WITH A SPEAR? YOU HAD TO USE A F***ING SPEAR?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 02:48:24 am by 612DwarfAvenue »
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Duriel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6902 on: October 12, 2010, 04:23:29 am »

A squad of hammergoblins just tried to ambush a group of 10 legendary champions.

Needless to say, the goblins were torn apart rather quickly, and the construction of the giant magma cannon continued uninterrupted. :D

Oh, and I also found out one of the champions was carrying a clear glass vial, which is filled with golden salve. What's up with that? ???

EDIT: Cyclops! And two swordmasters took it down shortly afterward. And it's always the same dwarf that takes these semimegabests down.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 04:52:14 am by Duriel »
An invisible lurker.

I have a YouTube channel!

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6903 on: October 12, 2010, 08:51:28 am »

A lazy marksdwarf that has been all year roaming around the well with a bleeding nose just made an artifact: Failedsewers, a highwood bucket. On the item is an image of Ishgor the deity of muck depicted as a female dwarf and three dwarves. Ishgor is contemplating. Ishgor is surrounded by the three dwarves.  :o :-[

The first test of the pachinko blender was partially successful. Two ogres were funneled through several levels of training axes until they were collected into the one tile 12z pit. Spikes weren't ready, so they just asploded. One named ogre walked over 30 traps without dodging into the pits and was captured by a cage trap.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 09:01:17 am by Wastedlabor »
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6904 on: October 12, 2010, 09:08:34 am »

Migrants have arrived, and i'm out of food (AGAIN!.)

While I make a feeble attempt to channel water inside so I can grow plants for the first time, I simply have everyone collect plants, in the hope that dwarves eat plants. It's something for the idlers to do I suppose.

Actually, I could slow my demise if I simply waited awhile then butchered some animals...
Oh, wait, there's a shrub in the way. I can't channel the water. I'm doomed...

I wish I could say something non-boring was happening, but I never last that long.

I'll just reclaim, reclaim, reclaim, until I get the whole 'not-starving' thing to work.

EDIT: First ever 'Mysterious construction'. "That's great Urist, but if it isn't edible, i'm going to feed you to the Carp".

EDIT2: Oh, whoopie, a lignite door. That's just great...
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 09:19:33 am by Wolf Tengu »
Everybody!

Serio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6905 on: October 12, 2010, 09:35:07 am »

Smithdeserts has become isolationistic. I'm only allowing migrants that I can use inside the fort, the rest are left to fend for themselves on the plains surrounding the fort. On the surface, I have two farm plots. One producing Longblade grass, and another producing Wild Strawberries. Two levels down, I have three farm plots producing Plump Helmets. One level down from there, I have the industry quarters. This is the first fort where I have separated the industry section from the rest of the fort. It's also the first fort where I actively seek to mass produce items. On the same level is the offices. I thought they fit. One level below the industry level is the living quarters, and the hospital. And below that level are the mines, that I have almost mined dry of Hematite, Platinum, and Gypsum.

So far, I'm satisfied with the work my dwarves are getting done. In the future, I might be more lenient towards the migrants and allow them to get a roof over their head, food, and drink in return for military service. I'm already producing steel armour and weaponry for the future military.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6906 on: October 12, 2010, 10:40:17 am »

Things could be going better.

I really need to wall off the mine shaft leading to the caverns.

So much death...

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6907 on: October 12, 2010, 10:52:28 am »

* Widowed dwarves--or at least migrants who arrive with kids but no husband--will start dating again.  Wonder how/if DF acknowledges half-sibling relationships.

The widowed mother will have a new husband, immigrant kids and new kids produced with new mate on the relation ship list as 'family' (above deity).

The new mate won't have immigrant kids on their list, much like immgirant kids won't have new mate of their parent on their list.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Duriel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6908 on: October 12, 2010, 11:04:58 am »

Adamantine digging hit a snag because of an unexpected magma pocket. The magma level is quite low, but it may never evaporate.

And the progress on the orbital magma cannon has been going smoothly...
An invisible lurker.

I have a YouTube channel!

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6909 on: October 12, 2010, 11:11:17 am »

Well, I dug a channel of water underneath my fortress, in order to make underground farming possible, but it...went bad. I don't have any miners or picks that aren't underwater, so giving merchants acces to my depot will be...hard.

There's alcohol (on a hand-to-mouth base) and I made a farm plot, but I don't think I put the seeds in right.
Oh, and a single kobold theif kept running in, and then running away, stealing nothing.

I'm going to have to build my 'stairway to hell' somewhere else...
Everybody!

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6910 on: October 12, 2010, 11:18:54 am »

Well, I dug a channel of water underneath my fortress, in order to make underground farming possible, but it...went bad. I don't have any miners or picks that aren't underwater, so giving merchants acces to my depot will be...hard.

There's alcohol (on a hand-to-mouth base) and I made a farm plot, but I don't think I put the seeds in right.
Oh, and a single kobold theif kept running in, and then running away, stealing nothing.

I'm going to have to build my 'stairway to hell' somewhere else...

Usually, you build everything and leave as few tiles as possible for flooding that you channel out from above at the very end.  It goes badly otherwise.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6911 on: October 12, 2010, 11:57:56 am »

I simply have everyone collect plants, in the hope that dwarves eat plants. It's something for the idlers to do I suppose.

They do, and it is, and it can make the difference in a budding fort.  Do you have any access to above-ground light soil?  You can make a farm for aboveground plants on any square of soil that's ever been exposed to the sky.

Actually, I could slow my demise if I simply waited awhile then butchered some animals...
Oh, wait, there's a shrub in the way. I can't channel the water. I'm doomed...

Even cats and dogs explode into a banquet of questionable organ meats.  Dwarves are perfectly happy eating cat intestines and dog eyeballs.

The widowed mother will have a new husband, immigrant kids and new kids produced with new mate on the relation ship list as 'family' (above deity).

The new mate won't have immigrant kids on their list, much like immgirant kids won't have new mate of their parent on their list.

Nifty!  I still kind of miss the glitch in the first version of 2010 that gave me a female expedition leader with a wife and kids...  maybe one day I'll learn how to replicate that with mods.  A way for dwarves to adopt orphans would be cool, too, but probably not possible.

In other news, I looked away for five minutes, and now my ranger/militia-captain-to-be has a large silver dagger stuck in her face and there seems to be a kobold leg on my bridge.  Oh well...  A dented cheek shouldn't affect her ability to kill, and like a friend said after seeing that Skycaptain movie: "Chicks with battle scars are hot!"

There's a little hill of rock dead center in my map, and a cliff face due south of it on the edge of the map.  I'm trying to work out a nice fancy set-up of retractable bridges to connect them as a main path past the moat, with ramps down into the hill for the wagons that don't exist right now, but I fail at ramps forever.

Migrant assimilation lessons are through.  The one with preferences for bronze and short swords has been trained up from zero to adequate in weaponsmithing, which will hopefully override the novice bowyer skill, and the moodable-less brewer and lye maker with yens for spears are dabbling in WS.  The butcher liked bismuth bronze and gauntlets, but since my map has lots of wood, iron, and flux, I'll be doing steel instead, so she gets to turn that rope reed fiber fabric she loves into a bunch of bags instead.  Somebody needs to do it.  The tanner is now a carpenter, the trapper a mechanic, and I figure the high master bowyer was good as she came...  although I learned the hard way that you really shouldn't store masterwork items where raccoons and macaques can get at them.

Huzzah for OCD micromanagement!
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6912 on: October 12, 2010, 03:48:11 pm »

Oh, i've plenty of above-ground soil access. That's where my other farm plots are, and i've set different seeds for different seasons, i'm just sure it's not working.

I'm up to 22 dwarves now, and the pond they all drank from has dried up. I made a mechanics workshop so I could make a well, but it requires something I don't have (a skill not an item)

I'm trying to make a record of everything, and i've a bookeeper with a few relevant stats and an office, but no idea how to make records. So next to food/above drink it always says '200'? even though I have no meat or fish, and one plant. I've got a metric fuckton (pardon my profanity) of seeds though. About 8 of the dorfs are farmers too.
I can't conceivably see how I survived the first year. Hey, at least i'm so poor that nothing has attacked me yet.
What else happened? Oh, yeah, I made a bunch of training weapons for my do-nothing millitary, but they all got stolen. whoopee.

Can't remember what else is happening.
Everybody!

jaxad0127

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6913 on: October 12, 2010, 04:14:35 pm »

I'm trying to make a record of everything, and i've a bookeeper with a few relevant stats and an office, but no idea how to make records. So next to food/above drink it always says '200'? even though I have no meat or fish, and one plant.
On the nobles screen, hilight the bookeeper and open the settings ('s'). Have them maintain more detailed records if you want the ? to go away.

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6914 on: October 12, 2010, 04:45:17 pm »

Goblin thieves are messing with their corpses my pachinko blender. They are being chopped to death by the single training axe weapon traps.

An new artifact has two images of the war The Clashes of Thunder between the goblins of The Square Nightmare and the elves of The Flowery Leaves. A kidnapped human smashed the nose of the elf Betha Rosequeen. Sounds kinda epic.
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...
Pages: 1 ... 459 460 [461] 462 463 ... 3842