Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 458 459 [460] 461 462 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6123724 times)

Mr. Argent

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:TRAITOROUS_NATURE]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #6885 on: October 11, 2010, 06:24:32 pm »

Something i want to try, whether in HighHammer or another fortress: Find friendly Reptile Men, refer to them as Argonians.
(Edit: This comment not meant to be taken seriously - The rather ridiculous nature of the statement should have been enough, but i guess not. All in jest - I'll append a :p at the end of all further silliness.)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 07:05:58 pm by Mr. Argent »
Urist McVenom Cancels strange mood: Being exiled.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6886 on: October 11, 2010, 06:41:41 pm »

Something i want to try, whether in HighHammer or another fortress: Find friendly Reptile Men, refer to them as Argonians.
*ultimate facepalm*
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6887 on: October 11, 2010, 06:48:19 pm »

What poor fool claim the Argonians friendly?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6888 on: October 11, 2010, 06:50:56 pm »

I modded in Argonians once.  They ended up not being much different than humans in practice.  Although their traders were quite adept at drowning domestic animals by pathing through lakes and oceans. 

Well, that, and building gravity defying structures over oceans that are basically just adventurer deathtraps.  (They stay floating just long enough for the adventurer to spawn in the tavern.  Then come crashing into the ocean when physics wakes up.)
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6889 on: October 11, 2010, 07:02:25 pm »

I modded in Argonians once.  They ended up not being much different than humans in practice.  Although their traders were quite adept at drowning domestic animals by pathing through lakes and oceans. 

Well, that, and building gravity defying structures over oceans that are basically just adventurer deathtraps.  (They stay floating just long enough for the adventurer to spawn in the tavern.  Then come crashing into the ocean when physics wakes up.)
Well, if you turned off cave-ins I think that might be workable.
Assuming you started off with a ton of points in swimming.

Mr. Argent

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:TRAITOROUS_NATURE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6890 on: October 11, 2010, 07:08:05 pm »

Hmm, now that you bring up Modding it may actually be worth a try - Though maybe a gag reference to the Argonians from StarTropics might be in order instead - Would it be possible for the worldgen to make a tropical C-Shaped island?.
?
EDIT: Sleestaks, maybe
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 07:10:01 pm by Mr. Argent »
Urist McVenom Cancels strange mood: Being exiled.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6891 on: October 11, 2010, 07:11:31 pm »

What poor fool claim the Argonians friendly?
The ones that assume that all Argonians make rat flambe with. . .
Nevermind.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

DrGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6892 on: October 11, 2010, 07:34:59 pm »

52 orthoclase floodgates, all placed one after the other, have been linked to 52 orthoclase levers, all placed in rows of 8, via 104 orthoclase mechanisms.

I am so tired, so very tired, of counting.  :(

Alas, I have yet one more lever to link. A lever to open them all at once. Yet still, I will not be done. For I must open each floodgate, one by one, and have a miner dig a fortification into the volcano/magma sea then seal the floodgate before it floods in too much.

This 3rd pump stack shall be a pump stack to end all pump stacks!

I once had a reason for all these floodgates. That is long forgotten. Maybe I'll just carve the fortification at the bottom level as planned and calling it even...
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 07:38:15 pm by DrGravitas »

LealNightrunner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6893 on: October 11, 2010, 07:43:14 pm »

The Magma Tide cometh.  After 22 hours and 50 minutes processing flows.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Not pictured: Drowning miner (turned off temperature to make it crunch faster and so all my dwarves didn't ignite), zombie mountain goats that are probably going to be what actually kills me.

I'm gonna have to evacuate another z level up, I was hoping the magma wouldn't be able to make it on this ridge cause it drains pretty significantly to the west.
Current Fort: NatureRags

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6894 on: October 11, 2010, 07:46:10 pm »

An Ambush! Curse them!

And all they managed to do was spook a craftsman and kill her dog, then proceed to charge across the cage trap-covered bridge, leaving one left over as practice for the civilian militia.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

GenexController

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6895 on: October 11, 2010, 08:23:59 pm »

A cat/puppy splosion is on the verge and many of my dwarves are being possesed to make artifacts (none of wich have been particularly useful, shoes, coffins, rings, etc.) a fog machine i have beed working on isnt really working, possible going to abandon fortress soon after flooding base.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6896 on: October 11, 2010, 09:18:47 pm »

1 Moonstone 101 - Early Winter at Outpost Dreamletter

Fortune has smiled on our outpost this summer, with the arrival of four migrants; among them an adept grower to till the fields, an accomplished mason, a thresher, and our first soldier. Throughout the summer we devoted our efforts to preparing the fort defenses, setting up three rows of cage traps to keep the rabble out, and to carving out the second level of the fort for industrial production.

Spoiler: Factory Level (click to show/hide)

Production focused on rock crafts, dwarven syrup, and lavish meals. By the time the dwarven caravan arrived, we had enough to buy a steel shield and some nice bronze gauntlets and a cap for our new soldier, Mike. When not soldiering, Mike spends his time as our second carpenter, helping with the making of barrels, bins, beds, and soon wooden training spears for the danger room.

With autumn came a second group of four immigrants, among them a talented fisherdwarf and a legendary herbalist -- we shall never want for food. Also, the legendary milker Charleston has some novice first aid diagnostician skill, so he's our part-time chief medical officer until someone better comes along. And finally, Carl, our second soldier to join the ranks of the Lancers of Carnage.

The Grackle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6897 on: October 12, 2010, 12:54:25 am »

The forgotten beast Usbu Soxuslu just wiped out thirty some cave swallow people and 9 legendary hammerlords in about five minutes.  I shoulda bewore his dust.   

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6898 on: October 12, 2010, 01:30:53 am »

The forgotten beast Usbu Soxuslu just wiped out thirty some cave swallow people and 9 legendary hammerlords in about five minutes.  I shoulda bewore his dust.   

"Bewore" is my new favorite word.

In fortress news, my lousy PC is why I can't have nice maps.  Glovedmurder has been sadly set aside in favor of Cathandle. 

* Rhesus macaques are a royal pain in the goddamned arse  If a dwarf is busy killing something and they knock it into a murky pool without falling in themselves, they will lie down on the bank and reach in and maul the creature's eyelids until it dies.

* Random NPCs that wander onto the map have preferences like your own dorfs:  A stonecrafter carved a figurine of the liaison admiring a bunch of quivers.

* Elf traders from calm and temperate lands suck.  (We already have a dozen horses, you jerks.)

* Child thieves seem to go for the youngest kids first.

* Widowed dwarves--or at least migrants who arrive with kids but no husband--will start dating again.  Wonder how/if DF acknowledges half-sibling relationships.

* Raccoons can bite a dwarf in the heart.
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

Thadius

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:homemade coffee]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6899 on: October 12, 2010, 02:36:11 am »

GORILLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAS!

TOO MANY GORILLAS!

The gorilla population is starting to outnumber the dwarven population!

I knew my customary cage traps were a bad idea.  Why did I not listen to myself?
If you accidentally lock the elves in the depot and wait until they're insane to capture them in cages and then lock the next group of elves in the depot and unleash the insane elves from their cages, that's still somehow your fault.
Pages: 1 ... 458 459 [460] 461 462 ... 3842