Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 457 458 [459] 460 461 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6123846 times)

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #6870 on: October 11, 2010, 12:07:55 pm »

After a brawl with the army of war dogs in the middle of the construction works for the megafortress, Violenceecho the Harpy, the only free survivor of the flock, stopped on top of a highwood outside the walls to lick the wounds in its wings and legs.

A month later, the elven merchants left to continue their travel. Ametha Apasimona attracted the attention of Violenceecho, which, still unable to fly, dropped from the tree and proceeded to chase her. It kept mauling the horse again and again, running around the moat. To the surprise of my amused dwarves, the horse resisted three quarters of a lap and left a ~400 tiles trail of blood and vomit all along the way. Violenceecho went then after Ametha, which, unlike her epic horse of bleeding, started to run in circles and was promptly pounced dead into the moat.
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6871 on: October 11, 2010, 02:42:12 pm »

I am now sad bone artifacts are bugged.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

Urist McTaverish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6872 on: October 11, 2010, 02:59:53 pm »

I am now sad bone artifacts are bugged.

I still say you got boned. 8)
Here at Bay12, we're constantly looking for ways to set the world on fire.
But at least after all the chaos, the weather cleared.

Serio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6873 on: October 11, 2010, 03:15:57 pm »

I did not know that dwarves would take items from the caravans if you don't have a depot. I just finished my hospital, and saw one of my dwarves fetch cloth from the dwarven caravan on the edge of the map. I guess they're being generous.

EDIT: Oh, great. Now the entire workforce is out fetching cloth. Urist McKing isn't going to be pleased.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 03:22:01 pm by Serio »

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6874 on: October 11, 2010, 03:46:00 pm »

Ok, this is attempt #4564 at trying to get a damn fort to work.
I've accidentally put beds in the doorways (I wish I could draw that image) and am now figuring out how to get rid of them. I'm going to make the damn idlers do something.
Worse yet is how i've carved everything out. It's great how everything is being held up by paper thin walls. Oh, and apparently I keep hitting damp stone, but i've no idea what that means so I kept digging.

I mean, I do alright, until migrants arrive and eat my meagre food stocks. Then I starve because my carpenter refused to make buckets for water to make mud...

Ahh, screw it, i'ma going to start in a haunted area, and see how many zombies they can beat down before being torn to pieces.

Everybody!

Serio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6875 on: October 11, 2010, 03:56:58 pm »

Urist McUnfortunate had his skull cracked by a horse. A shortage in bucket kept him from getting water in his bed in the hospital. He died as the first casualty of Smithdeserts.

Urist McClumsy fell into the lake after getting pushed by a horse. The lake froze over. He died of thirst. He died as the second casualty of Smithdeserts.

This is already shaping up to be very interesting.

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6876 on: October 11, 2010, 04:14:24 pm »

You're shaping up to have a fort plagued by legendary horses. Tell me about any future engravings.
Everybody!

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6877 on: October 11, 2010, 04:20:36 pm »

Beware its deadly spittle!

Edit: and immediately after this it crashes.  Hmm.  Well, now I know what not to do.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 04:25:57 pm by Daetrin »
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6878 on: October 11, 2010, 04:28:24 pm »

I'm digging out a mega dungeon for a little adventuring entertainment. My horrible memory will allow me to have some fun with it anyway.

While preparing the irrigation chamber for the farms my miner nearly drowned. She dug the hole, but instead of going to the exit she fled over into the larger section of the chamber. She was probably within an inch of her life when she managed to reach the door.

Now a question I MUST ask; If a section of the fort is walled off from the rest with no conceivable access points when a fort is abandoned/overthrown, would items in that section be scattered outside that area? I think I heard someone mention that you can seal off areas and have a cave-in reopen them to create treasure rooms for adventurers (citation unavailable), and this would be great if it were true.
And then, does that area HAVE to be entirely underground or can I build it above ground sealed with proper walls/ceiling, and can fortifications be used?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 04:41:51 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

caknuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6879 on: October 11, 2010, 04:30:48 pm »

The Reliquary at Copperparched is starting to fill up. Thanks to my legendary mason and blacksmith, we now have complete masterwork sets of gabbro, rhyolite, obsidian, nickel and billon furniture, as well as a complete set of masterwork rope reed clothes.

While the Reliquary itself is coming together, it lacks the Reliquarians to staff it. My meat industry is coming together too slowly, so there aren't enough bones around to train up a bonecarver. Yet. The migrants who have shown up have been nigh useless. I'll have to train the bonecarver all the way up from dabbling. We have good candidates for the metalcrafter and gem setter spots.

Once the furniture and clothes runs are done, it may be a while before we can pump out other masterworks with any reliability. Bad luck with moods and migration have left us lacking in skilled glassmakers, weaponsmiths, carpenters, armorsmiths, leatherworkers, stonecrafters, woodcrafters, metalcrafters or bonecrafters. Feh.
Quote from: Primary
*Kneels before Urist Dickpuncher*

granzteel

• Bay Watcher
  • Humans think better than.. err, maybe dwarves do.
    • View Profile
    • Granzland!
« Reply #6880 on: October 11, 2010, 04:35:13 pm »

Looks like everyone's doing good!

As for me, Stutteredcrossed, well, kinda messed up since there are so many unexpected immigrants that I have to do something to keep them happy and don't start any trouble, especially for my moody fish cleaner. She is waiting for leathers, clothes and bones at the craftsdwarf workshop, and still doing nothing.

Oh no, she's unhappy. And has many friends. I got a bad feeling about this...

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6881 on: October 11, 2010, 04:46:48 pm »

Wall them off with some supplies, so your old dwarves don't get attatched to them (in case they die), until you figure out what to do with them.

Tomorrow, I can get on DF again, and attempt a farm. I don't think i'll succeed though. I know soil is required and all, but I can't tell if i'm making the plot on soil or not...

At least the dwarves have beds, and doors, so they can starve to death comferably in a sealed fortress.

Everybody!

jaxad0127

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6882 on: October 11, 2010, 05:03:10 pm »

Wall them off with some supplies, so your old dwarves don't get attatched to them (in case they die), until you figure out what to do with them.

Tomorrow, I can get on DF again, and attempt a farm. I don't think i'll succeed though. I know soil is required and all, but I can't tell if i'm making the plot on soil or not...

At least the dwarves have beds, and doors, so they can starve to death comferably in a sealed fortress.
You can't build a farm somewhere unsuitable.

Gutanoth

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:ILLUSIONS OF GRANDEUR]
    • View Profile
    • Umomushil - the fortress of dark Ice, an overlord list compliant fort
« Reply #6883 on: October 11, 2010, 05:39:20 pm »

you can build it anywhere provided it has had water spilled onto it, including slade, if thats any help...
Look at what a totally original signature this is.

jaxad0127

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6884 on: October 11, 2010, 05:40:33 pm »

you can build it anywhere provided it has had water spilled onto it, including slade, if thats any help...
Mud is suitable.
Pages: 1 ... 457 458 [459] 460 461 ... 3842