Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 455 456 [457] 458 459 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6124039 times)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #6840 on: October 10, 2010, 05:13:36 pm »

Would building the bridges and assemblies one plate at a time and then forbidding them after linkage work?
Tried that, doesn't work.  Gear assemblies which are forbidden or even physically unavailable will still show up as valid targets for linking a trigger to, you'll just get a canceled job due to target not reachable afterward.  I still might do that as a backup against incorrect linkages, but it's still going to take freaking forever to link everything up.  Building dwarfputers is annoyingly labor-intensive.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6841 on: October 10, 2010, 05:33:45 pm »

I'm about to just dig downward forever with the embarking dwarves to see what happens.
Everybody!

granzteel

• Bay Watcher
  • Humans think better than.. err, maybe dwarves do.
    • View Profile
    • Granzland!
« Reply #6842 on: October 10, 2010, 06:13:37 pm »

I'm about to just dig downward forever with the embarking dwarves to see what happens.

watch out for forgotten beasts. They're ruthless.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6843 on: October 10, 2010, 06:44:33 pm »

Managed to get a straight down 3x3 path to the magma sea that just happened to be where my main stairway was.  So I continued it straight down to the bottom channeling out the center tile the whole way to give me a continuous 25z level pit from the surface to the magma sea.

It was going to be used for prisoner disposal and refuse removal.  I start digging out the magma workshop rooms basically one tile at a time at the bottom since the mining is always being canceled due to warm stone, it's directly above the sea after all.

Unfortunately I discover that the bottum of the third cavern layer is on that level.  And about 3 z-levels underwater.  And when digging the 'damp warm' stone just appears like a normal near magma rock.

I end up piercing the bottom of an underground lake, flooding the lowest level and turning my pretty kickass 25z level pit to magma into a somewhat meh 24 z level pit to a shallow pool of water with an obsidian floor.  D'oh!
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6844 on: October 10, 2010, 07:10:05 pm »

Ruthless eh?
Sounds fun.

Umm, y'know farms need soil right? Do I need to water them at all? If so, are buckets used, or should I move the river (Which will have certain results, I excpect.)?
Everybody!

jaxad0127

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6845 on: October 10, 2010, 07:13:29 pm »

Ruthless eh?
Sounds fun.

Umm, y'know farms need soil right? Do I need to water them at all? If so, are buckets used, or should I move the river (Which will have certain results, I excpect.)?
You only need mud if they are underground or not on soil (for aboveground crops).

LealNightrunner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6846 on: October 10, 2010, 07:15:38 pm »

It was going to be used for prisoner disposal and refuse removal.  I start digging out the magma workshop rooms basically one tile at a time at the bottom since the mining is always being canceled due to warm stone, it's directly above the sea after all.

You can disable that pause/warn on warm stone, which I would recommend highly - the designation still gets canceled, it just doesn't freeze everything at the same time.

EDIT:
Just go to DF\data\init\announcements.txt, modify the two lines:
[DIG_CANCEL_WARM:A_D:D_D:P:R]
[DIG_CANCEL_DAMP:A_D:D_D:P:R]

Remove the P and R to stop pausing.  You can keep the R, which will recenter it on the designation cancel but not pause, but I wouldn't recommend that.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 07:18:44 pm by LealNightrunner »
Current Fort: NatureRags

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6847 on: October 10, 2010, 07:47:56 pm »

Well, they're underground. This is a dilemma of sorts.

They won't start digging their way to hell until they've dug out rooms. Because, y'know, if you're going to invite the leigons of hell, they need somewhere to stay.
Everybody!

LealNightrunner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6848 on: October 10, 2010, 08:03:02 pm »

Kind of tricky.  In 40d, underground farms just needed underground soil or irrigated cavern to grow.  In 30.12 (Latest version I've reasonably played) underground farms need to be irrigated before any crop growth can start.  You can designate it as a pond, which I've never done, or my usual tactic is to prepare to drain a murky pool into a good sized room by sealing it up with a flood gate already linked to a lever outside the room.  In case the room ever unmuddies you can easily flood it again for the plots. 

Be careful, if you're in a really rainy area, the pool might fill up faster than you can wall it off if you don't build all the flood controls beforehand.

Magma Mountain update:
7 hours of CPU time, still can't redraw the screen.  The memory usage went up a staggering 8k, bringing the total from 1,752 megabytes to... 1,752 megabytes and 8k.  I still hold out hope that it's computing steps, because it continues to react the same way as it did when I could still issue commands, and I can't think of whatever else would gradually freeze it up beyond an expanding loop.  Unless it somehow goes infinite (And I'm banking on integer overflow here).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'm almost tempted to say it's hit an infinite loop, but it went near 3 hours without a single error and I could still control the game to an extent, including issuing commands to dwarves that were obeyed.  I think the magma pressure load just got too much and that's all it's crunching now.  At this rate I probably won't have to worry about starvation until november, long as I can keep this computer from crashing.

Other forts update:
Decided to breach HFS on my fort of 90ish dwarves.  I got bored with no one invading and figured everyone could do with a dose of the whole clown car of Fun.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 08:07:31 pm by LealNightrunner »
Current Fort: NatureRags

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6849 on: October 10, 2010, 08:26:14 pm »

Strange mood...weaponsmith...secretive...legendary bronze battle axe.

Dun goofed with dfhack, game crashed.

Strange mood...leatherworker...possessed...legendary fox leather trousers.

Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

FuzzyDoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6850 on: October 10, 2010, 08:48:10 pm »

That might belong in the Facepalm thread.  :D

Anyways, my newest fort is slowly progressing. 21 dwarves and still around 70-90 FPS. MUCH better than the 30 my old computer got off Embark. I might get to 60-70 Dwarves.  :D
Also bear in mind that dwarves have their heads at a perfect height for a good face-kicking.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6851 on: October 10, 2010, 09:16:21 pm »

dfunstuck?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #6852 on: October 10, 2010, 09:36:40 pm »

Things in Lungtown are looking up.  An Elephant herd that's ever-growing, the supplies of the last Dwarven caravan for free because idiot Goblin ambushers destroyed it and fled, enough iron to make Lady Eboshi jealous (hooray for obscure references!), all the large steel serrated blades I could ever want, half a million in wealth, and 64 very happy Dwarves who are fully behind their hard-working new baron/mayor.  Not bad for 2 years.
Sanity is for the weak.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6853 on: October 10, 2010, 10:27:44 pm »

How many left alive kraken?

14....down from 36 prior to the invasion. The Darnen got bored of the slaughter and decided to leave.  The only ones who managed to survive were those who got lost in the many chambers of the mines and managed to avoid the Darnen as a result. Everyone else was killed without mercy.

One notable Dwarf was one I managed to save by having him quickly build a wall between himself and the Darnen. He only managed to do so becuase the Darnen chasing him became distracted by his pet ocotpre and decided to kill it, allowing him enough time to build a wall.

So with only 14 Dwarves left, things are not looking good. This is the lowest the population has dropped in a long time. And there are guaranteed to be more deaths due to our lack of healthcare. So the survivors will have to rebuild the fort....somehow. I'm really not sure what to have them do at this point. I guess the only thing I can do is have them continue building the siege breaker.

Also I found out the reason the lever wasn't pulled was because I'm an idiot and for reasons I can not recall assigned specific dwarves to it.  :-\
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6854 on: October 11, 2010, 12:17:42 am »

Training an armorsmith and getting some masterwork crap along the way.

Busted into the cavern; lost a hunter to trogdolytes. Boohoo, still have another one, and a few haulers to hunt if that one bites the dust.

I modded in falconpunching for dwarves so long as they're carrying metal-plated gloves, which I modded in as a weapon. Currently, Captianette Falcon, my sole military dwarf, is out hunting trogdolytes and rutherers with her +bismuth bronze-plated dwarf glove+.

In short, a severe lack of Fun.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.
Pages: 1 ... 455 456 [457] 458 459 ... 3842