Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 453 454 [455] 456 457 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6124259 times)

!!crundle!!

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERYONE, I AM ON FIRE
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #6810 on: October 09, 2010, 07:31:42 pm »

Around ten dogs were trained for war recently in Mirroredmatches.

This same fort has far too many anoimals- they make up 2/3 of my fortress population. Any suggestions for mass killing of animals without killing my workers as well?

The danger room built into the barracks is causing many ear injuries, and my militia commander forgot his boots and broke two toes. Hm.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 07:34:39 pm by !!crundle!! »
w̷̦̬̹̣͕̙͖͑̓̌̓̑̄͒͋͜͝h̙̩͈̱͚̳̳̪͖̙͕̥̳ͥ̍̔͂̑̿̓̍̑ͣ͆̅̀͢y̧̼̭͎͓̟̺͉̰͎̱̜ͫ̂́͗̐̑́w̢̬̪͈̲̽̋́̈̓ͨ̄͐̿̓ͧ̇ͩ̏ͫ̑̎͟͡ḩ̡͍̫̣̹̬̙̭͊ͯͯ̉͡y̔ͥ̏͛̀̂̎̆ͥͮ̐̍̈̏͆̓̅̒҉̢̘͚͎̠̻̣̯̥̠̙̤̪̮̝̲̜̪́̕̕ͅw̸̗̻̱ͭͣͦͤ̇̑̅͗ͨͬ͋̉͊ͨ͂͜hͩͪ̋ͣ̇̔͂ͧ̍̾͂͏̨̠͕̼̟͙̳̺͕̥͔̜̮̩̰̲̞̼y̴̸̵̪͕̜̪̙̦̘ͧ̽̇ͭͭͬͯ̾̈́̐̂̉͆͒ͤ̌̀̕w̺̟͙͙̭͇̟̮͉̯͈͖̩͔͊͛ͧͯ̀̿ͣͪ͂ͪ͘̕͠ͅh̷̴̷̢͉͖̺̦̣͙̓ͧ̅͋ͪ̾̓͒̌̒ͯ̇́ͯ̕y̋ͪ̓̒̈́͞͏̤̗̞̲̪͚̮̤̫̪̺̪̫̕w̸͔̺̱̼̪̮̘̟͖̭̱͓͈̜͇͚͉̙͊̈́ͦ̅̋̂ͩ̓͗́̚͡ͅĥ̶̨̟̺͕̌͆͒͑ͦͨ̉͆͜͜ý̧͓̼̘̯͉̘̺̩͇̻͈͔̖͎̜͍ͭ̌ͩ͟͝͞

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6811 on: October 09, 2010, 08:08:31 pm »

So, I decided on my first evil biome embark... Somehow I think that this is going to result in a lot of Fun. I wonder why?
Spoiler: Image (click to show/hide)
Sinister isn't that evil. Haunted(For undead) and Terrifying(For evil creatures) are what you should be looking for.

does sinister have all the plants in it then? cuz thats what ive been looking for (glumprongs and silver barb)
Yes, Sinister can have Glumprong & Sliver Barb if you're in the appropriate biomes (i.e. plants & trees actually grow, I dunno if you get them on undead embarks though [I'm not confident enough of my skills to try undead yet]).

Sinister isn't that evil. Haunted(For undead) and Terrifying(For evil creatures) are what you should be looking for.
Umm... yeah, I'm on my 4th attempt at this (Living) Sinister Volcano, the 1st 3 forts got killed by the d*mn*d Werewolves whilst I was trying to (a) Dig a Moat, (b) Build a Wall, & (c) Dig a Moat and Build a Wall. This inspite of embarking with 10 War Dogs, & last time (c), 7 Proficient Ambushers... [Free Armor, Xbow, & Ammo].

You get surprisingly little work done when your dorfs are all running away, in 7 different directions...

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6812 on: October 09, 2010, 08:15:44 pm »

This same fort has far too many anoimals- they make up 2/3 of my fortress population. Any suggestions for mass killing of animals without killing my workers as well?

Are they pets?  If not, the most obvious answer is a butcher.  If so... maybe an animal pit that features spike traps?
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

!!crundle!!

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERYONE, I AM ON FIRE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6813 on: October 09, 2010, 08:26:24 pm »

Are they pets?  If not, the most obvious answer is a butcher.  If so... maybe an animal pit that features spike traps?

No, but you don't understand- I have almost 200 animals, and only one skilled butcher.

Once I finish engineering that cave-in I might build a temple to Armok in the rubble, with a sacrificial altar for butchering animals. And magma-falls.

On another note, my furnace operator is now at one of the non-magma glassmaking forges and is screaming for "RAW GREEN GLASS!" which my other glassmaker is taking his time to make.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 08:28:01 pm by !!crundle!! »
w̷̦̬̹̣͕̙͖͑̓̌̓̑̄͒͋͜͝h̙̩͈̱͚̳̳̪͖̙͕̥̳ͥ̍̔͂̑̿̓̍̑ͣ͆̅̀͢y̧̼̭͎͓̟̺͉̰͎̱̜ͫ̂́͗̐̑́w̢̬̪͈̲̽̋́̈̓ͨ̄͐̿̓ͧ̇ͩ̏ͫ̑̎͟͡ḩ̡͍̫̣̹̬̙̭͊ͯͯ̉͡y̔ͥ̏͛̀̂̎̆ͥͮ̐̍̈̏͆̓̅̒҉̢̘͚͎̠̻̣̯̥̠̙̤̪̮̝̲̜̪́̕̕ͅw̸̗̻̱ͭͣͦͤ̇̑̅͗ͨͬ͋̉͊ͨ͂͜hͩͪ̋ͣ̇̔͂ͧ̍̾͂͏̨̠͕̼̟͙̳̺͕̥͔̜̮̩̰̲̞̼y̴̸̵̪͕̜̪̙̦̘ͧ̽̇ͭͭͬͯ̾̈́̐̂̉͆͒ͤ̌̀̕w̺̟͙͙̭͇̟̮͉̯͈͖̩͔͊͛ͧͯ̀̿ͣͪ͂ͪ͘̕͠ͅh̷̴̷̢͉͖̺̦̣͙̓ͧ̅͋ͪ̾̓͒̌̒ͯ̇́ͯ̕y̋ͪ̓̒̈́͞͏̤̗̞̲̪͚̮̤̫̪̺̪̫̕w̸͔̺̱̼̪̮̘̟͖̭̱͓͈̜͇͚͉̙͊̈́ͦ̅̋̂ͩ̓͗́̚͡ͅĥ̶̨̟̺͕̌͆͒͑ͦͨ̉͆͜͜ý̧͓̼̘̯͉̘̺̩͇̻͈͔̖͎̜͍ͭ̌ͩ͟͝͞

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6814 on: October 09, 2010, 09:13:11 pm »

Now all we need are some darnen and ogres to complete the nightmare.

GUESS WHAT FUCKING HAPPENED

God damn Darnen come right the fuck out of nowhere. The goblins finally decided to leave, and mere second after I lowered the bridge and let the first dwarf out the fort in months, he was already being shot by archers and torn apart by war grizzly bears. In a panic I ordered everyone back inside and the drawbridge to be raised. But nobody wanted to pull the lever. They just sat on their asses and watched the Darnen march over the bridge along with their beasts of war. I locked 2 Dwarves inside the control room and they still won't pull the lever. I have no clue why. If I had to guess, it's because the tile the lever is on is occupied by a sock. And if they aren't pulling the lever because of a god damn sock they deserve whatever cruel things happen to them. 

So basically my only hope was to send the brave soldiers of Townbrush to fight the Darnen horde. All 2 of them. The commander picked up his axe, let out a fearsome war cry, and charged towards the fiends. His second in command? "I'm gonna take a break guys. I'll be back after I drink some beer, eat some food, and maybe sleep for about a week." And with that he proceeded to head off to his room and do fuck all during this time of crisis. A Darnen spearmaster is using the commander as a pincushion and this guy is sleeping in his room. Good job hero.

So now there's a massive army plowing through the main entrance. Dwarves are screaming in terror as a blanket of crossbow bolts engulfs them and snarling war bears devour the children (really, 2 kids have already been killed by one bear). And I really think Townbrush is going to end because of this. There is nothing I can do. I have no hope of defeating an army this large. The Darnen will hunt down every last dwarf and tear them apart. There is no hope left.

All because they refused to pull a fucking lever.

EDIT: WHAT THE FUCK. On top of this invasion, my Fortress if fucking flooding. I have no clue how, but somehow a huge torrent of water is pouring into the mines. It's not even connected to the ocean. This is from years ago when the fort was flooded. Apparently something somehow help a huge amount of water in one of the mining chambers, and some dumb dwarf just caused it all to come out. I have no clue about what is going on anymore :(

EDIT 2:

« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 09:35:51 pm by Internet Kraken »
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Zenny the Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Not a fork
    • View Profile
« Reply #6815 on: October 09, 2010, 09:25:08 pm »

I turned my old fort into a communist collective, I even gave my Major the custom Title "Highest Soviet".
Well, let's just say that the major turned into Urist McStalin and made too many demands, so I built him a big mausoleum.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You see the magma on the right? The great leader "rests" there.
In one fort, I modded minotaurs to be tamable and made one of them mayor by chaining him in the dining hall.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6816 on: October 09, 2010, 09:31:31 pm »

Nice.  :D

I think I just made a mistake... I decided to honor my most useful dwarf, a legendary Mechanic, with the rank of Baron.  I just realized, that probably means she won't be working anymore... D'oh!
If that's the case, I'm going to give her a strapping young male "apprentice", have him become a legendary mechanic, and hope that they develop a relationship and get married.

Edit:  YAY!  She's still working!  Niiiiiice!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 09:37:20 pm by BodyGripper »
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6817 on: October 09, 2010, 09:50:30 pm »

"The Dwarven index states, in a nutshell, that when a dwarf is faced with a decision he or she will make the wrong decision approximately 99.7% of the time."

This. Lots of this.

I had to wall off two shafts, also falling to the poor decision making that caused me to NEED to wall of those shafts s they can't be used, just so i could get my miners to dig out a wall from the safe side. I was hoping that i could bait the two amphibian man tribes in the 3rd caverns into running through cage traps so i could keep them as pets/defenses, but the whole idea has to be scrapped; they're trap immune. One of the slimy little pricks just ran through the cage trap hall and butchered the dog i was using as bait. Now i need to salvage whatever is left of this miserable day and finish the dining room.

One of them is named and friendly because she killed a hunter who i didn't notice leave to perform his job. Weird how she expects me to not impale her on a steel spear just because she's sorry.
Now there's a second! One noticed a high master miller and chased him up the stairs, then brutally murdered him. She then promptly played innocent for the jeweler that was coming to rescue him.

But wait! There's more! The cage traps just caught an amphibian woman thief, raising the wtf factor of this day to the moon!
Why weren't they working on any of the other amphibian people, and since when did the underground animal man civs send thieves? :o

And now I lose one of the starting seven, my head craftsman, to the cave whales. This really hasn't been my day.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 10:41:45 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

RustyTheBrave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6818 on: October 09, 2010, 11:32:11 pm »

Currently, an FB is chasing one of my animals around the caverns, exploring it rather nicely while miraculously failing to breathe fire. It's as though it likes to pose, looking impressive but the horse keeps running away. In any event, I have like... The most defensible position ever on a peninsula surrounded by a lake which, even when it does freeze, leaves a weird trench around my peninsula so I'm protected on that end, and by a large wall on the other. I'm waiting for the goblins now, so I can confound them outside my gates, mwahahahahaha!

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6819 on: October 09, 2010, 11:35:26 pm »

Currently, an FB is chasing one of my animals around the caverns, exploring it rather nicely while miraculously failing to breathe fire. It's as though it likes to pose, looking impressive but the horse keeps running away. In any event, I have like... The most defensible position ever on a peninsula surrounded by a lake which, even when it does freeze, leaves a weird trench around my peninsula so I'm protected on that end, and by a large wall on the other. I'm waiting for the goblins now, so I can confound them outside my gates, mwahahahahaha!

*Teaches the goblins how to make boats*
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

RustyTheBrave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6820 on: October 09, 2010, 11:39:06 pm »

"A vile force of darkness has appeared!"

"... In boats!"

Every dwarf in the fortress: FFFFUUUUUUUUUUU-

Seriously, I'm way too sparse on defenses when there's so many natural ones, as soon as goblin boats appear, I'm officially SOL.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6821 on: October 09, 2010, 11:42:03 pm »

"A vile force of darkness has appeared!"

"... In boats!"

Every dwarf in the fortress: FFFFUUUUUUUUUUU-

Seriously, I'm way too sparse on defenses when there's so many natural ones, as soon as goblin boats appear, I'm officially SOL.

No, forget boats, goblins riding on the back of zombie whales and sharks giant skeletal fish for fresh water
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

jaxad0127

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6822 on: October 09, 2010, 11:48:42 pm »

Yes, they can have amphibious mounts, but the goblin riding often drowns.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6823 on: October 09, 2010, 11:53:01 pm »

I don't think it will be that bad.

I am going to post that every time Townbrush goes to hell.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 12:02:29 am by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile

Pages: 1 ... 453 454 [455] 456 457 ... 3842