Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 451 452 [453] 454 455 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6124478 times)

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #6780 on: October 09, 2010, 08:55:14 am »

A hauler made an adamantine sarcophagus. It's decorated with lapis lazuli. It has the elf Aye Gravellakes on it in adamantine.
I sure hope he isn't an elf enthusiast.

Use it to bury elves alive.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6781 on: October 09, 2010, 09:11:31 am »

2 migrant waves and not a single dwarf with any armoursmithing or weaponsmithing.

Gotta train 'em from scratch I suppose, which is a gigantic pain in the ass.

electromagneticpulse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6782 on: October 09, 2010, 09:12:28 am »

I activated my mega-aqueduct, which is proceeding to drain the entire ocean onto what looked like a nice estuary path back to the ocean. Unfortunately my framerate is hitting the low levels. The ocean near my pump has dropped to 6/7, around the intake there's several squares of 1/7 and the deep section of ocean is now beginning to be effected as there's about 10% saying 6/7. I'm quite disturbed. I have an emergency cut-off, which I'm hoping works but I'm tempted to just let the flooding occur and see how bad the impact is.

This mega-duct would be a great way to flood out your enemies, but so far it only seems to be killing my FPS. 1/4 of my map is now water caused by my aqueduct.

During this project there has been 3 tantrums, 1 resulting in a death; the other two I locked in the barracks until they fell unconscious and then they went back to work when given water. I had one fey mood that resulted in one of my carpenters going insane as he couldn't get access to the workshop he wanted... he went into the strange mood *because* he was the carpenter that had been working for like 3 seasons straight, then someone else took over and wouldn't let him in to create his mega project. I was too distracted with my aqueduct and just got the message that he went insane. It appears he committed suicide as I got a message saying he drowned.

Oh well, life in the Kingdom of the Aqueduct goes on.

Duriel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6783 on: October 09, 2010, 09:55:59 am »

Had a siege. The siege banner wouldn't go away because there were some of the hostile mounts left. And they were Giant Cave Swallows. They are really annoying to catch, as they tend to fly away from the reach of my melee champions. Good thing I had archers available.
An invisible lurker.

I have a YouTube channel!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6784 on: October 09, 2010, 10:25:15 am »

Spoiler: Death of a Hunter (click to show/hide)

My hunter learned that while fire imps are easy enough prey, fire men should not be tangled with. Hope the other six like eating plants.

That is exactly how I would like to go some day.  It is not an awesome death if it does not leave a crater.

P.S. Yes I saw that as an explosion.  With the behavior of wildfires currently there isn't much difference.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6785 on: October 09, 2010, 11:35:40 am »

I just had a pretty badass moment.  I'll try to describe it.

So there I was, minding my own business, building and stuff, when a vile force of darkness arrived.  I did the usual routine, sending all my dwarves to the emergency shelter, and stationing my military so that, if any invaders made it in, they could kill them.

At this time, my only entrance is... well, I can't think of the term for it, so just take a glance at this: http://mkv25.net/dfma/poi-25674-temporaryentrance

Anyway, I usually keep the first door open, and one of the other two open.  That way, goblins try and path into it through the traps, and then I can close it just in time, making them go back through traps again.  It works pretty well, usually.  This time, however, a Troll managed to destroy the first door and reach one of the others without getting sliced up.  I sent my military through the other door and around the corner to kill it.  They made quick work of it, and I immediately had them return to their starting position, to wait for more goblins.

Two badasses, Likot Dikewhip (Militia Commander and Axedwarf) and Fikod Trumpetinched (Grizzled veteran and one-handed Speardwarf), ignored me and went in the other direction.  They ran outside and attacked the other goblin squad, which hadn't even reached the fortress yet.  The goblins ran for their lives, but these two were fast, and slaughtered at least 2/3rds of them.  I sent the other soldiers out to support them (after all, they are among my favorites, and I don't want them dead just yet), but they didn't help much, and even managed to hurt themselves.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6786 on: October 09, 2010, 11:50:29 am »

Embarked on a cave. A dragon was there. Slew it without any injuries.
EDIT:Said fort soon died of dehydration, because I didn't pack booze.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 12:20:48 pm by GaxkangtheUnbound »
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6787 on: October 09, 2010, 12:10:10 pm »

I went poking around for the blue stuff and accidentally left a crack in the cavern with the FB. He caught that miner flat-footed, killed him quick. He got up to the corridors of the hub, spitting fireballs and following them up with the dragon's cone-spread and still couldn't hit anything but suicidal pets. My soldiers got in his face and had some words with him.

I'm hurting for a good weaponsmith -- I stole a peek at where the blue is and found there's so little I can almost upgrade all my axemen with it, and that's about it. I'll be damned if anyone but a legendary smith is going to handle this stuff. I can't count on my mediocres to mood, so I'm putting them to work on steel, silver and bizmuth bronze for now.

Serio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6788 on: October 09, 2010, 01:17:21 pm »

Embarked on a cave. A dragon was there. Slew it without any injuries.
EDIT:Said fort soon died of dehydration, because I didn't pack booze.

Dwarf Fortress - The only game where a shortage in booze is a greater threat than a dragon.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6789 on: October 09, 2010, 02:55:57 pm »

Dwarf Fortress - The only game where a shortage in booze is a greater threat than a dragon.

I'm totally sigging that ...
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Serio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6790 on: October 09, 2010, 03:24:20 pm »

The chaos of Darkmeadow seems to have subsided. Here's a summary of the events;

Late 39, a great forgotten beast appeared in the underground caverns. I didn't think much of it until it breach the barricades and killed a dwarf. Immediately, the dwarven army under command of Kivish Tosidushrir was sent down to deal with it. The legendary Axedwarf dealt with the beast swiftly, but lost a dear friend in the battle. He didn't think much of it, as he did, after all, have a great dining room. I thought I got off cheap, though, and thought none of it.

Forward a month; I check the sickbay. One of the hammerdwarves that participated in the battle has been infected with advanced rot. Both his feet are rotten, and his body is generally a mess. Before doctors can treat him, he infects a cat who proceeds down the stairs, infecting several dwarves. Within a week, about 10% of the fortress is infected. While the rot is incurable, it's not fatal to adult dwarves so I don't think much of it. Until it strikes another pair of pets, and melancholy strikes. A few months earlier, a Kobold ambush severely injured one of my squads, and their miserable moods spread to the rest of the fortress in a matter of weeks. Knowing that there's no way to stop the infection, I send some of the elites to the noble quarters to guard the King. The noble quarter is sealed off.

Early 40, and chaos ensues. Unhappy due to the disease roaming the ancient halls of Darkmeadow, the population begins to fight. Initially it's just a few struggles, quickly contained by Captain Kivish Tosidushrir. But the fights soon evolve into struggles, and the struggles into battles. Before long, the entire fortress is fighting on two fronts; against the Forgotten Beast rot, and against each other. Meanwhile, in the noble quarters some of the vault-dwarves have begun to be unsatisfied. One of them was infected with rot prior to being sent in, and has infected two others. They're all sealed inside the statue garden. The King spends most of his time in his bedroom, worried about his queen who is caught outside.

It isn't long before the population of the fortress starts to decrease. From 245, to 230. 220. 215. The rot claims even more victims, and the war dogs are infected as well. The meeting hall becomes a bloody melee, with blood spatters all over the walls. Those brought to the infirmary are soon finished off by a mad Fisherdwarf, who in return is slain by Kivish Tosidushrir. The Baron/Captain of the Guard seals himself inside the now abandoned barracks, hoping to wait the spectacle out. His kill list prior to the chaos? Approximately 20. After? Over 33.

Eventually, mid-40, the chaos subsides. The King and two other dwarves are the only survivors of the noble vault. There's three dwarves sitting in the meeting hall, undoubtedly asking themselves what the heck happened to the city. The former Baron and Captain of the Guard, still carrying his bloodstained axe, emerges from the barracks eventually, slaying one of the stragglers in the process. The King has declared himself King, Mayor, Captain of the Guard, Book Keeper, Broker, and Manager. A new age awaits.

Population before chaos: Circa 245.
Population after chaos: 12.

EDIT: I just saw the body of Kivish Tosidushrir Ekastrazot be brought to his tomb. The greatest dwarf to have ever lived in Smata Eno has died. The brings the survivors down to 8.

:)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 03:44:59 pm by Serio »

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6791 on: October 09, 2010, 03:44:32 pm »

I can just somehow imagine a dwarf doing all those things at once.

Even if he had begun to rot, which he didn't.

Lesson I learned about forts: Dig more spaces out when you begin, so you don't have to get rid of rooms later. Least I've begun making some basic necessary things, and I think the door will fit the entrance. I want to get used to it, so I can die mindlessly.

Last time, on my first one, I realised i'd begun without a farmer, a woodcutter or an axe. So I abandoned.
Everybody!

Serio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6792 on: October 09, 2010, 03:51:03 pm »

I can just somehow imagine a dwarf doing all those things at once.

Even if he had begun to rot, which he didn't.
He's actually doing a pretty fine job, but he's hospitalized. A child broke his hand. Oh, and a Human caravan just arrived, but it was ambushed by a group of Kobolds. Skulking filth indeed. Waiting until a dwarf is incapable of defending himself. But despite my hopes, this fort won't be salvageable. I'll wait with abandoning it until the King has died. It'll look better in Legends then.
"The Great Mountainhome of Darkmeadow, 31-40. The last great bastion of Dwarvendom."

EDIT: The King has passed away, and the tomb of Kivish Tosidushrir has been sealed. It's a somewhat strange tomb, as it's a long hall, separated by a marble wall in the middle. There's marble floor and marble pillars along it, and behind the marble wall there's a gold sarcophagus surrounded by four golden statues. Behind the sarcophagus is two levers. When pulled, they drop the golden gates to seal the tomb, also trapping the dwarf within the tomb.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 03:54:36 pm by Serio »

FuzzyDoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6793 on: October 09, 2010, 04:00:06 pm »

The chaos of Darkmeadow seems to have subsided. Here's a summary of the events;

Late 39, a great forgotten beast appeared in the underground caverns. I didn't think much of it until it breach the barricades and killed a dwarf. Immediately, the dwarven army under command of Kivish Tosidushrir was sent down to deal with it. The legendary Axedwarf dealt with the beast swiftly, but lost a dear friend in the battle. He didn't think much of it, as he did, after all, have a great dining room. I thought I got off cheap, though, and thought none of it.

Forward a month; I check the sickbay. One of the hammerdwarves that participated in the battle has been infected with advanced rot. Both his feet are rotten, and his body is generally a mess. Before doctors can treat him, he infects a cat who proceeds down the stairs, infecting several dwarves. Within a week, about 10% of the fortress is infected. While the rot is incurable, it's not fatal to adult dwarves so I don't think much of it. Until it strikes another pair of pets, and melancholy strikes. A few months earlier, a Kobold ambush severely injured one of my squads, and their miserable moods spread to the rest of the fortress in a matter of weeks. Knowing that there's no way to stop the infection, I send some of the elites to the noble quarters to guard the King. The noble quarter is sealed off.

Early 40, and chaos ensues. Unhappy due to the disease roaming the ancient halls of Darkmeadow, the population begins to fight. Initially it's just a few struggles, quickly contained by Captain Kivish Tosidushrir. But the fights soon evolve into struggles, and the struggles into battles. Before long, the entire fortress is fighting on two fronts; against the Forgotten Beast rot, and against each other. Meanwhile, in the noble quarters some of the vault-dwarves have begun to be unsatisfied. One of them was infected with rot prior to being sent in, and has infected two others. They're all sealed inside the statue garden. The King spends most of his time in his bedroom, worried about his queen who is caught outside.

It isn't long before the population of the fortress starts to decrease. From 245, to 230. 220. 215. The rot claims even more victims, and the war dogs are infected as well. The meeting hall becomes a bloody melee, with blood spatters all over the walls. Those brought to the infirmary are soon finished off by a mad Fisherdwarf, who in return is slain by Kivish Tosidushrir. The Baron/Captain of the Guard seals himself inside the now abandoned barracks, hoping to wait the spectacle out. His kill list prior to the chaos? Approximately 20. After? Over 33.

Eventually, mid-40, the chaos subsides. The King and two other dwarves are the only survivors of the noble vault. There's three dwarves sitting in the meeting hall, undoubtedly asking themselves what the heck happened to the city. The former Baron and Captain of the Guard, still carrying his bloodstained axe, emerges from the barracks eventually, slaying one of the stragglers in the process. The King has declared himself King, Mayor, Captain of the Guard, Book Keeper, Broker, and Manager. A new age awaits.

Population before chaos: Circa 245.
Population after chaos: 12.

EDIT: I just saw the body of Kivish Tosidushrir Ekastrazot be brought to his tomb. The greatest dwarf to have ever lived in Smata Eno has died. The brings the survivors down to 8.

:)

Epic.
Also bear in mind that dwarves have their heads at a perfect height for a good face-kicking.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6794 on: October 09, 2010, 04:19:16 pm »

I spent several hours training up an armoursmith only to realise I added a library reaction to train it before I generated the world, for the sole purpose of not having to do this.

God damnit.
Pages: 1 ... 451 452 [453] 454 455 ... 3842