Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 447 448 [449] 450 451 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6124657 times)

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #6720 on: October 06, 2010, 11:11:41 pm »

Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6721 on: October 07, 2010, 01:16:30 am »

I just had my very first artifact created.
A gneiss grate. >:(
I'd kill the dwarf who made it, but I only have four miners, so he stays until he has outlived his usefulness.

you should always appreciate buildable/usable artifacts.

Urist McMiner/Engraver has been possessed/fey/etc!

Urist has claimed a craftdwarf's workshop!

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF-
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6722 on: October 07, 2010, 01:31:57 am »

There is a bulldog stuck on top of a constructed pillar. I do not know how it got up there. This pillar has never had a ramp or stair connected to it. It was built solely to have something to build a door next to. Confusion reigns.

Down below the frozen sea, in the first cavern, I have discovered that caverns under the sea span MANY more z levels.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6723 on: October 07, 2010, 01:33:34 am »

I had a cavern chamber 15 z-levels tall once.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

NKDietrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6724 on: October 07, 2010, 01:37:08 am »

Working on carving a fort entirely out of cast obsidian. It will be approximately 60 z levels tall. And 64x64 are the dimensions of the obsidian layers I'll be casting. So far things are proceding well enough. I've got a stable and boring temporary fort going, and I've pumped magma up from the magma sea to the surface level. Up next I'm going to finish the magma pumping tower, build a water pumping tower, and then build the scaffolding for the obsidian casting itself. Joy of joys.

Question: When I'm laying down the obsidian layers, what's the best order in which to do things, and where should I drop the tasty liquids from? Dead center of the area? Or a side?

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6725 on: October 07, 2010, 01:42:49 am »

Drop it from dead center, it keeps it more even.  It's probably just personal taste, but I put down my water before my magma.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6726 on: October 07, 2010, 03:14:37 am »

This is 39 from the ceiling of the tallest pocket to the first mud platform (which is in fact straight below the tallest ceiling. Down 19 more you reach the shores of the lake (which is only 1 z level deep, and filled with trees). That's 59 z levels from ceiling to lakebed.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
[/quote]

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6727 on: October 07, 2010, 03:21:08 am »

This is 39 from the ceiling of the tallest pocket to the first mud platform (which is in fact straight below the tallest ceiling. Down 19 more you reach the shores of the lake (which is only 1 z level deep, and filled with trees). That's 59 z levels from ceiling to lakebed.

That's a bit unusual.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6728 on: October 07, 2010, 03:24:17 am »

That's a bit unusual.

It's under an ocean. Things get weird down there.
[/quote]

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6729 on: October 07, 2010, 03:27:56 am »

That's a bit unusual.

It's under an ocean. Things get weird down there.

I knew they get bigger, but I've never seen THAT.  heh..

I must explore, later.

MarineMorton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6730 on: October 07, 2010, 08:26:59 am »

I have modded in CIDER!  Soon a cider brewery Fort will comence!

EDIT:  Plus a few spirits  :D
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 11:11:36 am by MarineMorton »

NKDietrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6731 on: October 07, 2010, 09:36:43 am »

Just took a break from my obsidian casting project. I think I underestimated the effort required to build a pair of 65z pump stacks above ground. The designations for the actual walls and floors are tedious due to walls and such blocking construction of other walls. The pumps themselves are no big deal, as I have glass screws, blocks, and tubes being manufactured en masse. My frame rate is dropping a bit. I capped my migrants to 30, but my dorfs keep pumping out kids so I'm up to more like 50 now, with around 240 FPS. But the project is coming along, slowly.

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6732 on: October 07, 2010, 02:03:18 pm »

I had a crippled war dog butchered to satisfy a strange mood for bones, so it didn't catch my attention that war dogs were being struck down. It wasn't until farms were getting destroyed that I noticed the forgotten forgotten beast had gotten bold enough to crawl out of the mud and start rampaging. It managed to take out a lot more war dogs, and cripple a giant tiger I just bought to train for war, before the troops finally took it down for good.

A little too late to 'beware it's poison blood!' More than a month later, a wave of paralysis deaths struck pet cats and war dogs. I sealed off the passage with the blood with grates, but children were beginning to die as well, including a few child prodigies who'd already survived their moods and made their artifacts.

Then followed the waves of violent tantrums, and some of the working population succumbed to inconsolable rages and the beast sickness. The mayor showed briefly showed symptoms of both, but since she was jailed she's shown no health problems. Oh, and my bookkeeper went insane. You know, she lost only one of seven children, she has a cushy job and a big opulent house with a smithy dedicated to her husband -- life has treated her pretty goddamn well, so I can't feel any sympathy for her, but I expect her stupidity is going to fuel more tantrums.

So far this community has survived engagements with a loss of no more than 4 each, but I don't know if it's going to pull through this.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6733 on: October 07, 2010, 05:23:45 pm »

I KNEW THEY WERE EVIL AND THEIR LEADER HAS COME TO TAKE OUR SOULS TO THE NETHERERWORLD.

EDIT: Oh, it's in the other cavern.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6734 on: October 07, 2010, 05:28:12 pm »

Well my brewer recently lost his right arm to an animal, he then wrestled it from the creatures mouth and beat it to death with his arm...... and he's still ecstatic.
Nom nom nom
Pages: 1 ... 447 448 [449] 450 451 ... 3842